COVID-19 Megathread 6: Return of the Omicron
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 22, 2024, 10:35:29 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  COVID-19 Megathread 6: Return of the Omicron
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 190 191 192 193 194 [195] 196 197 198 199 200 ... 456
Poll
Question: ?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 115

Author Topic: COVID-19 Megathread 6: Return of the Omicron  (Read 545855 times)
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4850 on: July 07, 2021, 02:29:03 AM »

Reported for misinformation and vaccine denialism.
What is misinformation?
And I’m happy to be vaccinated, and tell others to get vaccinated. I think this just makes the case for a booster shot, if more studies confirm this.

What is this "usual 94%" claim? How much did J&J or AstraZenica pay you to pretend this drop is specific to one vaccine, or are you just that ignorant?

This is story reported in local news, so I’m passing it along so people know or can clarify anything wrong.

The thread headline is highly misleading.
What is misleading?
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4851 on: July 07, 2021, 04:36:06 AM »

What is misinformation?
And I’m happy to be vaccinated, and tell others to get vaccinated. I think this just makes the case for a booster shot, if more studies confirm this.

What is this "usual 94%" claim? How much did J&J or AstraZenica pay you to pretend this drop is specific to one vaccine, or are you just that ignorant?

This is story reported in local news, so I’m passing it along so people know or can clarify anything wrong.

What is misleading?

Title implies the vaccine is less effective than others, rather than less effective than a study on the same vaccine. It's also somewhat alarmist--the vaccine is still 89% effective against symptomatic cases as per UK study, while Israel's is on total infections.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4852 on: July 07, 2021, 07:25:21 AM »

What is misinformation?

What is misleading?

Title implies the vaccine is less effective than others, rather than less effective than a study on the same vaccine. It's also somewhat alarmist--the vaccine is still 89% effective against symptomatic cases as per UK study, while Israel's is on total infections.
Actually, the drop is in symptomatic infections.
https://www.timesofisrael.com/israel-confirms-vaccine-less-effective-against-delta-variant-eyes-third-dose/
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4853 on: July 07, 2021, 07:30:00 AM »
« Edited: July 07, 2021, 07:33:18 AM by Forumlurker »

Also, the amount of “Democrats” on here who are upset that Covid isn’t 100% magically solved and that the vaccines aren’t as effective as originally thought are only upset for political reasons. I guarantee you, had this been a Trump second term, they would be singing a different tune. Truly disgusting, and I honestly am increasingly annoyed with a majority of red avatars.

Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #4854 on: July 07, 2021, 07:39:37 AM »

Also, the amount of “Democrats” on here who are upset that Covid isn’t 100% magically solved and that the vaccines aren’t as effective as originally thought are only upset for political reasons. I guarantee you, had this been a Trump second term, they would be singing a different tune. Truly disgusting, and I honestly am increasingly annoyed with a majority of red avatars.

This is news to me.

Some Dem posters are echoing anti vaxxer sentiments?
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #4855 on: July 07, 2021, 08:12:09 AM »

Personally I'm annoyed when people want to go back to masks and lockdowns because I want to go out and live life and have a good time, not because of the potential impact on Joe Bidan's poll numbers. Everyone (or at least the majority?) of posters on this blog are humans too.
MATTROSE94
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -6.43

P P P
« Reply #4856 on: July 07, 2021, 08:56:30 AM »

Personally I'm annoyed when people want to go back to masks and lockdowns because I want to go out and live life and have a good time, not because of the potential impact on Joe Bidan's poll numbers. Everyone (or at least the majority?) of posters on this blog are humans too.
Masks and lockdowns are essential now that we are in the Delta Variant era. The only reason why such policies were done away with was because of the fact that Joe Manchin and Kristen Sinema did not want to support extended unemployment benefits and other forms of federal support that would allow those policies to be implemented long term.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #4857 on: July 07, 2021, 09:02:39 AM »

This is news to me.

Some Dem posters are echoing anti vaxxer sentiments?

There are some left-leaning posters on here who have become truly alarmist and who seem to have doubts about the efficacy of the vaccine, and that we should reimpose mask mandates, capacity restrictions, and all of the rest.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #4858 on: July 07, 2021, 09:09:19 AM »

There are some left-leaning posters on here who have become truly alarmist and who seem to have doubts about the efficacy of the vaccine, and that we should reimpose mask mandates, capacity restrictions, and all of the rest.

That's because they're not really left-leaning.
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4859 on: July 07, 2021, 09:13:47 AM »

I cant believe some posters are still advocating shutting down the US economy.
MATTROSE94
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -6.43

P P P
« Reply #4860 on: July 07, 2021, 09:19:31 AM »

With the Delta Variant, a preemptive lockdown is necessary to save lives and prevent hospitals from being overrun. I do not want to see what happened in India (~4 million deaths according to unofficial figures) happen here. The MAGA movement and our two turncoat Democratic Senators from West Virginia and Arizona are opposed to such public health measures however and would rather see millions of people infected and dead than to implement proven public health measures.
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4861 on: July 07, 2021, 09:26:03 AM »

With the Delta Variant, a preemptive lockdown is necessary to save lives and prevent hospitals from being overrun. I do not want to see what happened in India (~4 million deaths according to unofficial figures) happen here. The MAGA movement and our two turncoat Democratic Senators from West Virginia and Arizona are opposed to such public health measures however and would rather see millions of people infected and dead than to implement proven public health measures.

We have access to vaccines and a far better health care system than India. The situation is not comparable.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #4862 on: July 07, 2021, 09:27:30 AM »

Masks and lockdowns are essential now that we are in the Delta Variant era. The only reason why such policies were done away with was because of the fact that Joe Manchin and Kristen Sinema did not want to support extended unemployment benefits and other forms of federal support that would allow those policies to be implemented long term.
I doubt that's true but, if so, that's the first thing I've heard that's made me think positively of Kristen Sinema.
soundchaser

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.26

P P P
« Reply #4863 on: July 07, 2021, 09:29:47 AM »

Delta’s now the dominant variant in the U.S., unlike last summer we have essentially no restrictions, YET our 7-day and 3-day case and death averages are both lower than they’ve been since March 2020. Vaccines work, the scientists who know better than any of us are clear that they work well, and nobody in any position of authority is advocating for implementation of nationwide lockdowns or mask mandates. Think I’ll trust the experts and the numbers.
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4864 on: July 07, 2021, 09:30:36 AM »

I remember after Biden's election victory that many on the online left thought he would come into office on January 20th and lockdown the entire country. Haha he has literally done the opposite.

Biden would have zero authority to lockdown the entire country and a vast majority of states would refuse to comply.

And we shall not become another Australia. Eventually, Australia will have to open up and have their entire population extremely vulnerable to covid as there is virtually no natural immunity down there.

Australia and NZ are going to be vaccinated too and end up avoiding massive loss of life, and actually avoid a lot of the economic impact too.

End of the day.. no matter what you want...There will be no lockdowns in the United States. People will be riding mass transportation. People will live in cities. People are still returning to the office. People are still going maskless. There is nothing anyone can do to stop that.

The very very most that would happen in parts of the United States would be some jurisdictions banning mega gatherings in doors or requiring indoor mask wearing in the winter.
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4865 on: July 07, 2021, 09:38:35 AM »

Today I am going to take mass transportation in order to resistence the pro lockdown people.
soundchaser

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #4866 on: July 07, 2021, 09:39:40 AM »

Today I am going to take mass transportation in order to resistence the pro lockdown people.

On the other hand, not sure spite really helps.
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4867 on: July 07, 2021, 10:54:46 AM »

Imagine a few years ago thinking that you could own and upset the libs by riding mass transit
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4868 on: July 07, 2021, 11:42:38 AM »

Imagine a few years ago thinking that you could own and upset the libs by riding mass transit

You just fell for their secret plot Jimmie
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4869 on: July 07, 2021, 12:14:52 PM »

Mattrose and Bandit are two sides of the same crazy coin.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4870 on: July 07, 2021, 12:18:58 PM »

On the other hand, does anyone have a link to the raw numbers from the Israeli Pfizer study? I’m having trouble finding it.
soundchaser

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #4871 on: July 07, 2021, 12:24:27 PM »

On the other hand, does anyone have a link to the raw numbers from the Israeli Pfizer study? I’m having trouble finding it.

They haven’t been released yet.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #4872 on: July 07, 2021, 08:27:33 PM »
« Edited: July 07, 2021, 08:40:56 PM by Dr. Arch »

The updated numbers for COVID-19 in the U.S. are in for 7/1-7/7/2021 per: https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

From March 2020 to mid-July 2021, I kept track of COVID-19 numbers daily. Now that there's a light at the end of the tunnel and states are staggering their daily updates, I am switching to a mid-week to mid-week model (Thursday to Wednesday).

Wednesdays are ideal for weekly updates since holidays don't usually fall in the middle of the week, and most states would have reported some update by that day each week.

New Legend:

Δ Change: Comparisons of Weekly Growth or Decline of COVID-19 Spread/Deaths

Σ Increase: A week's contribution to overall percentage growth of COVID-19 cases/deaths.
  • IE:What's the overall change in the total?

You may access the archive of daily reports below, with the last daily update at the end, which was on 7/6/2021

Day-to-Day Archive from 3/26/2020-7/6/2021
(Hidden in spoiler mode to make the post more compact)

Spoiler alert! Click Show to show the content.

6/16-6/22: <Baseline Week>
  • Cases: 34,433,696
  • Deaths: 617,864

6/23-6/30: <Last Week>
  • Cases: 34,544,094 (+110,398 | Σ Increase: ↑0.32%)
  • Deaths: 620,237 (+2,373 | Σ Increase: ↑0.38%)

7/1-7/7: <This Week>
  • Cases: 34,641,189 (+97,095 | ΔW Change: ↓12.05% | Σ Increase: ↑0.28%)
  • Deaths: 621,851 (+1,614 | ΔW Change: ↓31.98% | Σ Increase: ↑0.26%)
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #4873 on: July 07, 2021, 08:36:00 PM »

It's been a long blast of daily updates for the last year and a quarter (or so), everyone! I did it as a way to contribute to the forum, and I was happy to do so.

Now that things are calming down a fair bit, a weekly update gives us a better sense of the bigger picture, whether things are actually improving overall or not. So far, they continue to do so.

My life is about to get a lot busier soon too, so this is the perfect time to make this change. Landing the dream job also means diving into it and enjoying those prospects.

Thanks everyone!
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #4874 on: July 07, 2021, 08:38:41 PM »

Now that there's a light at the end of the tunnel and states are staggering their daily updates, I am switching to a mid-week to mid-week model (Thursday to Wednesday).

Cool.
Pages: 1 ... 190 191 192 193 194 [195] 196 197 198 199 200 ... 456  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies