COVID-19 Megathread 6: Return of the Omicron
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 10:21:25 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  COVID-19 Megathread 6: Return of the Omicron
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 128 129 130 131 132 [133] 134 135 136 137 138 ... 456
Poll
Question: ?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 115

Author Topic: COVID-19 Megathread 6: Return of the Omicron  (Read 526232 times)
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3300 on: April 01, 2021, 04:33:33 PM »

Will the johnson and johnson be delay the return to normalcy?

I think the mistake was at a factory making vaccines to be shipped to another country.
politics_king
United States

« Reply #3301 on: April 01, 2021, 05:11:15 PM »

I went to Ohio yesterday and got the vaccine (J&J). Feel like absolute crap now, side effects are hitting me like a ton of bricks. Feels exactly like the flu.

Obviously that shouldn’t stop anyone from getting the vaccine, but be prepared with some Tylenol.

It's weird how much of a range of side effects there are.  I know two people who have gotten the J&J vaccine; one reported feeling feverish and achy afterward, while the other had no effects at all. 

For some of the other vaccines, I got extremely sleepy about 3 hours after Pfizer #1, but that was all.  I haven't had the second one yet.  Among other people I know:

Moderna #1 - very sore arm for a day

Another Moderna #1 - feeling giddy & hyper starting about an hour after the shot

Pfizer #1 - severe soreness and swelling of the arm (and hand) where he got the shot.  Couldn't wear his wedding ring for 5 days.

Pfizer #2 (not the same person as above) - dizzy and throwing up 90 minutes after the shot, accompanied by a big spike in blood pressure, but subsided quickly

I had the same side effect after my 1st Pfizer shot. I got home and I literally fell asleep for 3 hours. I got my second dose today and I felt a little sleepy but thats it. No nap so far.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #3302 on: April 01, 2021, 09:02:17 PM »

The updated numbers for COVID-19 in the U.S. are in for 4/1 per: https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

I'm keeping track of these updates daily and updating at the end of the day, whenever all states finish reporting for that day.

ΔW Change: Comparisons of Weekly Day-to-day Growth or Decline of COVID-19 Spread/Deaths.
  • IE: Comparing the numbers to the same day of last week, are we flattening the curve enough?

Σ Increase: A day's contribution to overall percentage growth of COVID-19 cases/deaths.
  • IE:What's the overall change in the total?

Brackets []: These represent the total change for the day, including backlogged reports, if any.
  • These numbers are inflated relative to the actual reports for the day, so they are not used to calculate the comparative percentage shifts.

Older Numbers (Hidden in spoiler mode to make the post more compact)
Spoiler alert! Click Show to show the content.

3/21: <Sunday>
  • Cases: 30,521,765 (+39,496 [+41,655] | ΔW Change: ↑3.95% | Σ Increase: ↑0.14%)
  • Deaths: 555,314 (+455 | ΔW Change: ↓27.66% | Σ Increase: ↑0.08%)

3/22: <M>
  • Cases: 30,576,962 (+45,748 [+55,197] | ΔW Change: ↑9.99% | Σ Increase: ↑0.18%)
  • Deaths: 555,945 (+631 | ΔW Change: =0% | Σ Increase: ↑0.11%)

3/23: <T>
  • Cases: 30,636,534 (+59,572 | ΔW Change: ↑16.17% | Σ Increase: ↑0.19%)
  • Deaths: 556,883 (+938 | ΔW Change: ↓17.28% | Σ Increase: ↑0.17%)

3/24: <W>
  • Cases: 30,704,292 (+67,758 | ΔW Change: ↑7.91% | Σ Increase: ↑0.22%)
  • Deaths: 558,422 (+1,405 [+1,539] | ΔW Change: ↑0.64% | Σ Increase: ↑0.28%)

3/25: <Þ>
  • Cases: 30,774,033 (+67,046 [+69,741] | ΔW Change: ↑7.05% | Σ Increase: ↑0.23%)
  • Deaths: 559,744 (+1,165 [+1,322] | ΔW Change: ↓31.67% | Σ Increase: ↑0.24%)

3/26: <F>
  • Cases: 30,853,032 (+78,999 | ΔW Change: ↑19.09% | Σ Increase: ↑0.26%)
  • Deaths: 561,142 (+1,398 | ΔW Change: ↑10.69% | Σ Increase: ↑0.25%)

3/27: <S>
  • Cases: 30,917,130 (+64,098 | ΔW Change: ↑16.76% | Σ Increase: ↑0.21%)
  • Deaths: 562,012 (+787 [+870] | ΔW Change: ↑3.55% | Σ Increase: ↑0.16%)

3/28: <Sunday>
  • Cases: 30,957,997 (+40,867 | ΔW Change: ↑3.47% | Σ Increase: ↑0.13%)
  • Deaths: 562,495 (+483 | ΔW Change: ↑6.15% | Σ Increase: ↑0.09%)

3/29: <M>
  • Cases: 31,033,801 (+59,707 [+75,804] | ΔW Change: ↑23.38% | Σ Increase: ↑0.24%)
  • Deaths: 563,206 (+639 [+711] | ΔW Change: ↑1.27% | Σ Increase: ↑0.13%)

3/30: <T>
  • Cases: 31,097,154 (+63,353 | ΔW Change: ↑6.35% | Σ Increase: ↑0.20%)
  • Deaths: 564,138 (+932 | ΔW Change: ↓0.64% | Σ Increase: ↑0.17%)

3/31 (Yesterday): <W>
  • Cases: 31,166,344 (+69,190 | ΔW Change: ↑2.11% | Σ Increase: ↑0.22%)
  • Deaths: 565,256 (+1,118 | ΔW Change: ↓20.43% | Σ Increase: ↑0.20%)

4/1 (Today): <Þ>
  • Cases: 31,244,639 (+78,295 | ΔW Change: ↑16.78% | Σ Increase: ↑0.25%)
  • Deaths: 566,611 (+952 [+1,355] | ΔW Change: ↓18.28% | Σ Increase: ↑0.24%)
roxas11
United States

« Reply #3303 on: April 01, 2021, 09:22:48 PM »
« Edited: April 01, 2021, 09:27:04 PM by roxas11 »

I said rising Covid cases isn't good news for D's and the border crisis, it looks like Biden won't get his amnesty program thru, he won't break Filibuster

Again, where is your evidence of this?

You are speaking as if you have just seen a new poll or data that that shows that rising cases is going to hurt the Dems in a way that it did not even do to the Republicans in 2020. Trump barley lost the election and Republicans gained seats despite that that both deaths and cases were rising way more than they are right now

If anything, these results show that rising cases have very little impact on either party because Covid has become such politically polarizing issue

Also, I said it before and will say it again If Biden and Dems succeed in Making the vaccines widely available to people than I believe that fact alone will help them even if cases do rise
Alien
Invader
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -6.09

« Reply #3304 on: April 01, 2021, 11:13:35 PM »
« Edited: April 01, 2021, 11:30:28 PM by Intergalactic »

The vaccines significantly reduce transmission, hospitalizations, and deaths
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3305 on: April 02, 2021, 12:38:25 AM »

I said rising Covid cases isn't good news for D's and the border crisis, it looks like Biden won't get his amnesty program thru, he won't break Filibuster

Again, where is your evidence of this?

You are speaking as if you have just seen a new poll or data that that shows that rising cases is going to hurt the Dems in a way that it did not even do to the Republicans in 2020. Trump barley lost the election and Republicans gained seats despite that that both deaths and cases were rising way more than they are right now

If anything, these results show that rising cases have very little impact on either party because Covid has become such politically polarizing issue

Also, I said it before and will say it again If Biden and Dems succeed in Making the vaccines widely available to people than I believe that fact alone will help them even if cases do rise

Why are you arguing with OC lol
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #3306 on: April 02, 2021, 05:27:23 AM »
« Edited: April 02, 2021, 06:32:48 AM by politicallefty »

We've really become accustomed to the death rate. It was several months ago that we found it staggering that we were experiencing a death rate equal to 9/11 every other day. At best this year, it's a 9/11 twice a week. A lot of people seem to think this pandemic is over. It's not even close to over.

This really is a race now between vaccines and the infection rate of the virus. We don't need to give the virus any advantages right now. If you can get a vaccine, get it as soon as possible. Even after and for everyone else, keep wearing your masks. Most places aren't checking vaccine records, so everyone should still be wearing masks in public places. We're probably on track for a 4th wave no matter what. Hopefully, we can keep hospitalizations and deaths to a minimum.

As I've said before, what concerns me is the possibility of a mutation that can bypass the current vaccines. The more people get infected means more people that the virus can attempt to throw the dice and therefore more attempts at a mutation that is even more conducive to infection or serious illness.

Just don't be stupid. Wear your mask, wash your hands, and stay socially distant as much as you can. Those that are vaccinated can probably skip the last step most of the time, but there's no good reason for anyone to skip the first two.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #3307 on: April 02, 2021, 07:14:15 AM »

We've really become accustomed to the death rate. It was several months ago that we found it staggering that we were experiencing a death rate equal to 9/11 every other day. At best this year, it's a 9/11 twice a week. A lot of people seem to think this pandemic is over. It's not even close to over.

I don't know if it's been mentioned here, but pandemics have a "social end." This is when people act as if the pandemic is over even if there's still people getting sick and dying. I think this is just something people do by instinct, when it gets to the point where worrying too much about getting sick poses as much of a threat to them personally as the virus itself. I think people are naturally evolved to just stop worrying too much, once worrying gets too stressful, which is itself unhealthy.

This really is a race now between vaccines and the infection rate of the virus.

Vaccines are winning. Let's say America adminsters 3 million a day. Even if all of them need 2 doses, and if vaccines are 95% effective, that works out to enough for 1.425 million people. Let's say we find 65,000 new cases a day. If we find only half the cases that really exist, that comes out to 130,000 actual cases. That means people are getting vaccinated 11 times as fast as they can be infected.

It's been 13 months since the first major wave of infections in the U.S., and it's already been almost 4 months since the vaccine was rolled out. With so many vaccines administered, how many people remain for the virus to infect before immunity wears off (which might take years)?
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3308 on: April 02, 2021, 07:49:48 AM »

This really is a race now between vaccines and the infection rate of the virus. We don't need to give the virus any advantages right now. If you can get a vaccine, get it as soon as possible. Even after and for everyone else, keep wearing your masks. Most places aren't checking vaccine records, so everyone should still be wearing masks in public places. We're probably on track for a 4th wave no matter what. Hopefully, we can keep hospitalizations and deaths to a minimum.

As I've said before, what concerns me is the possibility of a mutation that can bypass the current vaccines. The more people get infected means more people that the virus can attempt to throw the dice and therefore more attempts at a mutation that is even more conducive to infection or serious illness.

Just don't be stupid. Wear your mask, wash your hands, and stay socially distant as much as you can. Those that are vaccinated can probably skip the last step most of the time, but there's no good reason for anyone to skip the first two.

I'm pretty strict about wearing a mask myself, but by the end of May I'll be fully vaccinated. After that I don't plan on wearing a mask unless the business mandates it or I'm feeling sick.

I don't think that is unreasonable.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #3309 on: April 02, 2021, 08:12:36 AM »

I don't know if it's been mentioned here, but pandemics have a "social end." This is when people act as if the pandemic is over even if there's still people getting sick and dying. I think this is just something people do by instinct, when it gets to the point where worrying too much about getting sick poses as much of a threat to them personally as the virus itself. I think people are naturally evolved to just stop worrying too much, once worrying gets too stressful, which is itself unhealthy.

I'm not saying anyone should worry. I'm just saying people should use common sense.

Vaccines are winning. Let's say America adminsters 3 million a day. Even if all of them need 2 doses, and if vaccines are 95% effective, that works out to enough for 1.425 million people. Let's say we find 65,000 new cases a day. If we find only half the cases that really exist, that comes out to 130,000 actual cases. That means people are getting vaccinated 11 times as fast as they can be infected.

It's been 13 months since the first major wave of infections in the U.S., and it's already been almost 4 months since the vaccine was rolled out. With so many vaccines administered, how many people remain for the virus to infect before immunity wears off (which might take years)?

I agree. Right now, our vaccine rollout has been a massive success. That doesn't mean we need to declare early victory. We still have a lot of work left. Let's leave the mask mandates in place for now. As vaccine rates increase and cases go down, I would say that we should ease up on businesses. The mask mandates should probably be the last thing to go in terms of health orders.

I'm pretty strict about wearing a mask myself, but by the end of May I'll be fully vaccinated. After that I don't plan on wearing a mask unless the business mandates it or I'm feeling sick.

I've already received my first dose, but I will still wear my mask in public so long it's necessary for public health. I don't mind anyway as it's seemed to eliminate the cold and flu. I don't think it's necessary year-round, but it'd be nice if we had seasonal masking (maybe something like from October to March).
Holy Unifying Centrist
DTC
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 9.53, S: 10.54

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3310 on: April 02, 2021, 10:57:18 AM »

I'm not saying anyone should worry. I'm just saying people should use common sense.

I agree. Right now, our vaccine rollout has been a massive success. That doesn't mean we need to declare early victory. We still have a lot of work left. Let's leave the mask mandates in place for now. As vaccine rates increase and cases go down, I would say that we should ease up on businesses. The mask mandates should probably be the last thing to go in terms of health orders.

I've already received my first dose, but I will still wear my mask in public so long it's necessary for public health. I don't mind anyway as it's seemed to eliminate the cold and flu. I don't think it's necessary year-round, but it'd be nice if we had seasonal masking (maybe something like from October to March).

F**k no. I'll only wear masks if I need to go out while I'm actually sick.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3311 on: April 02, 2021, 11:39:46 AM »

Masks are not fully going away, but they'll become fully voluntary. No public would stand for a post-pandemic mask order and any business that chooses to keep a mandate would likely lose a chunk of their customer base. It'll become a personal safety thing and we might wind up seeing about 20-30% of people keep using them during the cold and flu season.
No War, but the War on Christmas
iBizzBee
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3312 on: April 02, 2021, 11:59:58 AM »

I've been religious about wearing a mask throughout this ordeal for the public health; even as it's been terrible for my anxiety and I continue to despise them till this day.

As soon as I get my second shot of Moderna; and wait the next two weeks for it to take full effect, unless the company requires it (yes, I am not a Karen, companies can require masks) I will not personally be wearing a mask.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #3313 on: April 02, 2021, 12:09:36 PM »

I just got my second dose of Pfizer.
Kamala’s side hoe
khuzifenq
YaBB God
United States

P P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3314 on: April 02, 2021, 01:11:42 PM »

This. I don't see why we'd need masks during the summer once almost everyone's vaccinated, unless there are super contagious variants spreading around.

https://www.wkyc.com/article/news/verify/verify-why-experts-say-you-still-need-to-wear-a-mask-after-being-vaccinated/530-05a9b36d-97e5-42d6-8937-d7c78a650ed1

So here’s why you’ll still need that mask:

It will take a little while for the vaccine to kick in. It takes two weeks from your Johnson & Johnson shot or your last Moderna or Pfizer shot.

The vaccines do not 100% protect you from getting COVID-19, just like the flu. If you get the flu shot, you could still get it. And, the virus is changing.

We don’t know about all the variants that are being seen,” said Dr. Koletar. “Nobody likes to wear masks….but when we go out it's important to wear a mask. We’re getting there.”

Another thing to keep in mind is that even though you are vaccinated you could be an asymptomatic spreader. Experts are concerned you can still get it, not have symptoms, and spread it.

So we can verify even if you’ve been vaccinated, you still need to wear a mask.
QAnonKelly
dotard

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.50

« Reply #3315 on: April 02, 2021, 03:03:19 PM »

I’m getting my second moderna Tuesday. I’m hoping by the time my two weeks is up the guidelines will be changed for mask wearing after being vaccinated. I’m a teacher and I’m a week ahead of the first of two mass drives the county made for schools staff so I’m guessing they’ll keep requiring masks throughout the end of the year. Ofc I’ll wear one if it’s required in stores and stuff but I won’t elsewhere.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #3316 on: April 02, 2021, 03:09:46 PM »

My second Pfizer shot is next week, and two weeks after that I plan to start resuming things I haven't done in over a year, like eating out, getting a real haircut, and going to my favorite walking trails.  But I'll certainly continue to wear a mask in any business that requires or requests one, or anywhere around other people as long as a significant percentage of people continues to do so.  I don't want others to feel uncomfortable around me if I don't wear a mask -- or worse, think that I'm a Republican. Wink
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #3317 on: April 02, 2021, 06:47:18 PM »

My second Pfizer shot is next week, and two weeks after that I plan to start resuming things I haven't done in over a year, like eating out, getting a real haircut, and going to my favorite walking trails.  But I'll certainly continue to wear a mask in any business that requires or requests one, or anywhere around other people as long as a significant percentage of people continues to do so.  I don't want others to feel uncomfortable around me if I don't wear a mask -- or worse, think that I'm a Republican. Wink

If I recall, we're in the same general area.  I've been fully vaccinated since mid or late February.  I still don't feel comfortable going out to eat for some reason that I really can't explain.  But at the grocery stores, I *always* count more than one person without a mask...and I'm going earlier in the day when there are less people shopping.  I can only imagine in the evening there are lots more without masks.  I would personally be comfortable not wearing a mask because I'm vaccinated, but I do it to make others feel at ease.

And for my own little tirade....I think it's incredibly selfish and crappy of people not to wear a mask...even if someone doesn't personally believe in their effectiveness, I can't believe people don't possess enough empathy to understand that many others DO believe in their effectiveness and also believe that those not wearing one could potentially infect and/or kill them.  Like, feel free to thinks masks are bogus but why would you want others thinking you're a risk to them?

I blame Trump and the entire GOP for these idiots.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #3318 on: April 02, 2021, 08:49:38 PM »

The updated numbers for COVID-19 in the U.S. are in for 4/2 per: https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

I'm keeping track of these updates daily and updating at the end of the day, whenever all states finish reporting for that day.

ΔW Change: Comparisons of Weekly Day-to-day Growth or Decline of COVID-19 Spread/Deaths.
  • IE: Comparing the numbers to the same day of last week, are we flattening the curve enough?

Σ Increase: A day's contribution to overall percentage growth of COVID-19 cases/deaths.

Brackets []: These represent the total change for the day, including backlogged reports, if any.
  • These numbers are inflated relative to the actual reports for the day, so they are not used to calculate the comparative percentage shifts.

• Cases: 30,521,765 (+39,496 [+41,655] | ΔW Change: ↑3.95% | Σ Increase: ↑0.14%)

• Cases: 30,576,962 (+45,748 [+55,197] | ΔW Change: ↑9.99% | Σ Increase: ↑0.18%)

• Cases: 30,774,033 (+67,046 [+69,741] | ΔW Change: ↑7.05% | Σ Increase: ↑0.23%)

• Cases: 31,033,801 (+59,707 [+75,804] | ΔW Change: ↑23.38% | Σ Increase: ↑0.24%)

3/31: <W>

4/1 (Yesterday): <Þ>

4/2 (Today): <F>
  • Cases: 31,314,625 (+69,986 | ΔW Change: ↓11.41% | Σ Increase: ↑0.22%)
  • Deaths: 567,610 (+999 | ΔW Change: ↓28.54% | Σ Increase: ↑0.18%)
Not Me, Us
KhanOfKhans
United States

« Reply #3319 on: April 02, 2021, 08:50:57 PM »

Wow, a decrease in cases for the first time in a while. You love to see it!
philly09

« Reply #3320 on: April 02, 2021, 08:57:46 PM »

The Worldometer has the death count 1,001 for today, Either way, green all the way.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3321 on: April 02, 2021, 11:21:41 PM »

I think as long as we keep charging ahead with vaccines, even the decrease in distancing won't be enough to create too much of an increase. We might see some up-and-down for a while on cases but probably not on deaths. It's two unstoppable forces butting up against each other, and that'll keep us from a full-fledged fourth wave.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3322 on: April 03, 2021, 02:21:35 PM »

Can we please close and restart this thread already, or at least rename it? It's been a while since that White House event with Barrett.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #3323 on: April 03, 2021, 05:34:12 PM »

Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #3324 on: April 03, 2021, 08:00:30 PM »

The updated numbers for COVID-19 in the U.S. are in for 4/3 per: https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

3/31: <W>

4/1: <Þ>

4/2 (Yesterday): <F>
  • Cases: 31,314,625 (+69,986 | ΔW Change: ↓11.41% | Σ Increase: ↑0.22%)
  • Deaths: 567,610 (+999 | ΔW Change: ↓28.54% | Σ Increase: ↑0.18%)

4/3 (Today): <S>
  • Cases: 31,382,205 (+67,580 | ΔW Change: ↑5.43% | Σ Increase: ↑0.22%)
  • Deaths: 568,499 (+793 [+889] | ΔW Change: ↑0.76% | Σ Increase: ↑0.16%)
Pages: 1 ... 128 129 130 131 132 [133] 134 135 136 137 138 ... 456  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies