COVID-19 Megathread 6: Return of the Omicron (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 12:12:09 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  COVID-19 Megathread 6: Return of the Omicron (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 17
Poll
Question: ?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 115

Author Topic: COVID-19 Megathread 6: Return of the Omicron  (Read 535287 times)
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« on: August 13, 2020, 03:36:36 AM »

Frankly, I think it’s selfish that entire counties have locked down for 0.4% of the population - without any consideration for the other 99.7%. How the fuk does that make any sense to anyone?

Because we're a society with a social contract where we agree to a modicum of concern for the most vulnerable even at mild inconvenience to us?

Okay. I can’t get appropriate care for a severe health issue I’ve been dealing with for several years. And how about all those that can’t support their families now? The half billon who will spiral into poverty around the world. How about increases in suicide, drug addiction, and alcoholism? How about the destruction in major cities? I could go on.

Social contract my ass.

Not to mention screwing Millennials over for a second time (I.e., Great Recession)

And now many of you - Generation Z - will be worse off than Millennials, who are the first generation to be worse off than the previous one.  I would be very scared if I were you - not because of the virus, but because you’re on course to being a truly lost generation.

College bubble has popped (which does make my degree much more valuable)
And if you think closing down schools is a good idea, then you’re really screwed.
Plus the economy, which will eventually burst too.
The trillions added to the debt in just the last few months.
Bankrupt social security.

Again, I could go on.

Thank you for being one of the few people on this forum who understand the truth about this situation.
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2020, 05:58:55 PM »

It is funny on how the pro-lock down people refuse to acknowledge the stats like this.

And I have not had one pro-lockdown person yet have a coherent answer when they are confronted with the societal issues of mass evictions, mass suicides, permanent unemployment, etc just to save a few old people.
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2020, 07:58:13 PM »

It is funny on how the pro-lock down people refuse to acknowledge the stats like this.

And I have not had one pro-lockdown person yet have a coherent answer when they are confronted with the societal issues of mass evictions, mass suicides, permanent unemployment, etc just to save a few old people.
Have we been on lockdown in the past 30 days?
Anyways, my new plan would only be a two week shutdown for much of the country and would include a moratorium on evictions (with landlord support) and would give a check to all Americans to provide for basic needs.

I would be fine doing 30 day lockdown in much of the sun belt right now and in winter a 30 day lockdown in the north. That should be able to mitigate economic and health damage.

I do believe the hot spots will come back up north after October.
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2020, 08:17:32 PM »

And I am not flip flopping when I state I want temporary regional lockdowns. My goal is to keep the economy open and mitigate economic damage and minimize infections and deaths. Temporary regional lock downs are part of my plan.
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2020, 09:43:08 PM »

Depends what you mean by pro-lockdown. I don't think most people here want a very long lockdown as you seem to imply. From your 2 previous posts, you appear to favor some lockdowns yourself.

Yes, in an ideal world I would lock down much of the sun belt for a month and in the winter would certainly lock down much of the north region by region for a month ease to help mitigate the spread of the virus without incredibly damaging impact to the economy.

There is a bell curve in that a completely open and normal economy right now could end up crashing horrifically and we end up in a depression and closed. Not what I want!
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2020, 08:02:08 PM »

Not sure why people on Atlas and Aad and some discord servers act like I am Brian Kemp or Ron DeSantis on being anti-lock down.

I am pro-mask.

I am pro-social distancing.

I oppose any state moving into new phases. And in fact would encourage most states to stay at phase 2.

I support rotational lockdowns to stop the virus from surging out of control.

What more do people want?

COVID 19 is not going away but we can still live with it and economically function!
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2020, 05:12:43 PM »

Is this real?
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2020, 05:27:35 PM »

I am tired of people pulling the, "but my 96 year old grandmother" card.

I am tired of being told I should work from home when I am not able to work from home and a majority of jobs can not be worked from home. And many jobs that can be worked remotely still need in person on site work.

I am tired of being labeled a sociopath just because I oppose draconian lockdowns. I do support rotational regional lockdowns !
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2020, 05:45:50 PM »

I am tired of people pulling the, "but my 96 year old grandmother" card.

I am tired of being told I should work from home when I am not able to work from home and a majority of jobs can not be worked from home. And many jobs that can be worked remotely still need in person on site work.

I am tired of being labeled a sociopath just because I oppose draconian lockdowns. I do support rotational regional lockdowns !

It's hard for to find sympathy when you're supporting someone as toxic as Jill schupp so adamantly.

Jill schupp of all people is someone you will focus on?
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2020, 09:21:00 PM »

This whole pandemic has brought out the worst in people.

Republicans are constantly attacking and even assaulting and sometimes murdering retail workers over mask mandates.

Some people feel entitled to permanent government checks and even many refuse to go back to work even if called back.

Privileged people are just flaunting and showing off their privilege.

Some people are screaming to everyone to "WORK FROM HOME!!" even to people who can not work from home!

Its just all becoming nonsense.

Draconian lockdowns from the left are all about power not about health. I dont see any democratic governor doing what online liberals propose on this.
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2020, 05:08:07 PM »

Just saying more retail workers have died from anti mask people shooting them down than have people died from covid 19...
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2020, 05:28:54 PM »

I am just very very very very angry about the whole covid situation and feel like the worst has been brought out in everyone.

When in reality,  most people would support the same game plan if they weren't trying to fulfill narratives.
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2020, 05:43:38 PM »

This virus is literally making me become CRRRAAAAAAZZZZZZZYYYYYYYYY
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2020, 05:57:43 PM »

Maybe Jimmie and Bandit can get together and talk nonsense to each other? hopefully the forum will be then spared

I do not know why people pile up on me about opposing draconian lock downs when I support greater restrictions compared to most Americans!
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2020, 11:42:17 PM »

Before you make an ignorant comment about my personal life, you might consider that you know nothing about it.

As it stands your characterization of my experience over the past six months is as inaccurate as your description of my views on the pandemic.

Your words are evil and thoughtless.

Antibody tests suggest that I had a virus. Which made sense. Because in March I felt a little bit sick and suddenly got a bunch of my co workers and others infected with Covid19 but I had no idea at the time. I have had two antibody tests which strongly suggest I had the virus. I felt overall fine at the time but had some cough and had little sense of taste or small. Red flags in hindsight!

I somehow kept my job during the covid19 lay offs and saw so many of my co workers lose their jobs permanently.  And while I strongly support the covid stimulus's I am still a budget hawk and very concerned about the future of our country with our bloated national debt.

I originally wanted an extension of lockdowns because I was under the impression that the lockdowns were for the government to buy time to make a plan for reopening. But that did not end up happening. Which resulted in a huge spike in cases and resulted in mask and social distancing mandates. Which really p*ssed me off because we could have done that in the beginning of the pandemic without large amounts of people losing their jobs and trillions added to the national debt.

Now I just see people fighting over masks, some unemployed people feeling entitled to government checks for life essentially, people who can work from home flaunting their privilege and telling people we should be locked down until every organism has a vaccine and even telling people who can't work from home to work from home. This has just brought out the worst in people.

And several people have used the , "BUT MY 105 year old great great grandmother" card towards me.  Which makes no sense because as a leader I would be far more cautious than most governors would have been in reopening.
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2020, 11:48:39 PM »

I also even opposed Virginia moving into Phase 3 because I feared a huge spike in cases.. and what do you know..it happened lol.

But right now I would keep VA in phase 3. The damage has been done and we can not reverse.
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2020, 07:52:57 AM »

So right now the expectation is that the winter will bring a massive surge to the coronavirus up north due to "cold weather" or something and that we will have a major flu outbreak.

Would be funny if the mask wearing results in the opposite and we have a very light flu season. lmao.
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2020, 11:39:04 PM »

The Governors of Oregon and New Mexico should be impeached immediately! Irresponsible to leave masses of people unemployed without a stimulus!
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2020, 01:33:42 PM »

Stop doing tests now!!!!! So we can move on with our lives.

Why should people lose their jobs because Republicans won't wear masks???
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2020, 09:40:32 AM »

I vote for Democrats because I support left wing policy.

But why why why why why is the left so pro lockdown?

Why are Democratic Governors and local officials willing to let millions have no income and potentially become homeless just to stop some old people from dying?

No stimulus = no lockdown. And to be frank our national debt is already high enough. The best decision of many bad decisions is to just keep the economy open and no new stimulus.
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2020, 10:15:10 AM »
« Edited: November 17, 2020, 11:39:23 AM by jimmie »

Why are Democratic Governors and local officials willing to let millions have no income and potentially become homeless just to stop some old people from dying?

No stimulus = no lockdown. And to be frank our national debt is already high enough. The best decision of many bad decisions is to just keep the economy open and no new stimulus.

We might be getting to the point where lockdowns are necessary in some states. The latest stats look really bad.

With no federal stimulus money it is not worth leaving millions and millions homeless and incomeless just to keep some old people from dying. Let them die. I hate to say that but it is true. Do not destroy everyone's livelihoods permanently.

Of course, this discussion could be outdated in a few months. Vaccinations of even only the most vulnerable populations will be a major factor in allowing the economy to move again.
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2020, 10:17:10 AM »

Examining the situation for a few weeks now, I think we need a national lockdown for 3-4 weeks. Close all nonessential stores and prohibit any in person contacts outside your own household. Additionally, enforce rigorous mask mandates in supermarkets and other essential businesses. That's not a popular stance to take, but I see no other short term solutions. The number of daily new infections must be drastically reduced, or we lose many, many, many more lives. Even people who wouldn't die with proper treatment since the health system can't handle that many COVID-patients.

So millions should be completely incomeless for for a month?

You actually think red state citizens would follow lock downs? answer: they wont and the virus will continue to spread despite a national lockdown.
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2020, 10:19:12 AM »
« Edited: November 17, 2020, 11:54:43 AM by TexasGurl »

We might be getting to the point where lockdowns are necessary in some states. The latest stats look really bad.

I want to make it clear: I do not care how many people die from Covid-19 at this point.  With no federal stimulus money it is not worth leaving millions and millions homeless and incomeless just to keep some old people from dying. Let them die. I hate to say that but it is true. Do not destroy everyone's livelihoods permanently.

Of course, this discussion could be outdated in a few months. Vaccinations of even only the most vulnerable populations will be a major factor in allowing the economy to move again.

It'd only be for a few weeks so the hospitals don't get completely overloaded during the Winter. This wouldn't be permanent. Things will get much better in the Spring, but we could be headed for a very, very dark winter if we don't act fast.

And this is coming from someone who has largely advocated for re-opening the country for much of the year. The huge case surge during Winter is very, very concerning

again the pro lockdown crowd always side step my concerns about leaving millions of people without ZERO income even for a short period.
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2020, 10:20:13 AM »

I am disgusted that Republican Governors are actually instituting rational mitigation measures compared to Democratic Governors instituting draconian lockdowns. But Republican Governors are largely responsible for the spread of the virus. They should have instituted those mitigation measures in .. I do not know.. March/April?

Abbott took till mid summer to do it. Disgusting.
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2020, 10:23:08 AM »

Examining the situation for a few weeks now, I think we need a national lockdown for 3-4 weeks. Close all nonessential stores and prohibit any in person contacts outside your own household. Additionally, enforce rigorous mask mandates in supermarkets and other essential businesses. That's not a popular stance to take, but I see no other short term solutions. The number of daily new infections must be drastically reduced, or we lose many, many, many more lives. Even people who wouldn't die with proper treatment since the health system can't handle that many COVID-patients.

I agree with the need for it, but the lockdown itself isn't a complete solution. It needs to be accompanied by a major stimulus/bailout for businesses and workers (and should really include comprehensive national healthcare), and it needs to be accompanied by a rollout of coordinated nationwide contact tracing.

The problem is it will take time to pass a stimulus. All the left wants on this site are for people to be locked down and they are all rich here so they obviously do not care if millions are evicted in January. They just want to protect their 110 year old grandmother or something.

Our national debt is at a dangerous level. Therefore, I oppose any new massive stimulus packages. Our best way forward is to keep the economy open and vaccinated vulnerable populations in December/January.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 17  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies