COVID-19 Megathread 6: Return of the Omicron
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 11:46:43 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  COVID-19 Megathread 6: Return of the Omicron
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 133 134 135 136 137 [138] 139 140 141 142 143 ... 456
Poll
Question: ?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 115

Author Topic: COVID-19 Megathread 6: Return of the Omicron  (Read 533892 times)
NYDem
United States Minor Outlying Islands

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3425 on: April 10, 2021, 11:53:59 AM »

I don’t understand how people could support a mask mandate but not a vaccine mandate. 

Getting a shot once or twice is obviously both much, much, more effective and much less inconvenient than wearing a mask everywhere for more than a year.

There is the possibility of some kind of negative reaction to a vaccine. Maybe there’s long-term effects that haven’t been noticed yet. It’s unlikely, but people don’t like the idea of not having a choice when it comes to that.

There are no possible side effects from wearing a mask. Nobody is going to have long term problems from wearing one.
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #3426 on: April 10, 2021, 02:31:59 PM »

I don’t understand how people could support a mask mandate but not a vaccine mandate. 

Getting a shot once or twice is obviously both much, much, more effective and much less inconvenient than wearing a mask everywhere for more than a year.

There is the possibility of some kind of negative reaction to a vaccine. Maybe there’s long-term effects that haven’t been noticed yet. It’s unlikely, but people don’t like the idea of not having a choice when it comes to that.

There are no possible side effects from wearing a mask. Nobody is going to have long term problems from wearing one.

Not only have there been no recorded long-term side effects of any covid vaccine in use in the US, but there has never been a long-term side effect recorded of any vaccine that occurs more than two months after the vaccine has been administered.   And there is no mechanism in any ingredient in a covid vaccine by which a long term side effect could arise.

Arguments that the covid vaccine may have long-term side effects are just as plausible as the arguments that masks cause cancer.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #3427 on: April 10, 2021, 02:35:05 PM »

I don't support a vaccine mandate given how prevalent and bad the side effects can be. This is different from whether i think everyone should get it, they should! But I don't think the government should be allowed to force you to get sick.

I support a mask mandate because it is generally non-intrusive and there are carve outs for people who have medical issues with wearing one. The length of time we have to do it for is irrelevant to me.
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #3428 on: April 10, 2021, 02:44:07 PM »

I don't support a vaccine mandate given how prevalent and bad the side effects can be. This is different from whether i think everyone should get it, they should! But I don't think the government should be allowed to force you to get sick.

I support a mask mandate because it is generally non-intrusive and there are carve outs for people who have medical issues with wearing one. The length of time we have to do it for is irrelevant to me.

I just can’t fathom how anyone can feel like the side effects that one may feel for one day after taking a vaccine are worse than having to wear a mask for an entire year.  Especially considering that masks are nowhere near as effective!

The average individual does not have the scientific training to understand how vaccines work or competently evaluate the pros and cons of taking them.  These decisions should be made by scientists, not individuals.  That’s why we mandate vaccines among children, and courts have already approved vaccine mandates for adults in several other contexts.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #3429 on: April 10, 2021, 02:53:17 PM »

I just can’t fathom how anyone can feel like the side effects that one may feel for one day after taking a vaccine are worse than having to wear a mask for an entire year.  Especially considering that masks are nowhere near as effective!

The average individual does not have the scientific training to understand how vaccines work or competently evaluate the pros and cons of taking them.  These decisions should be made by scientists, not individuals.  That’s why we mandate vaccines among children, and courts have already approved vaccine mandates for adults in several other contexts.

I can fathom it, but it doesn't matter to me. It's not about which one is worse on some kind of subjective metric.

I don't think it matters what the scientists think of the cost benefit analysis. That's great information of course, but doesn't obviate personal freedom.

I'm ambivalent about the other vaccines too. I at least don't think they should be mandated for adults who don't already have them somehow.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #3430 on: April 10, 2021, 02:54:07 PM »

Nate Silver accuses Fauci of “gaslighting” for claiming we still don’t know if vaccines can stop transmission:

Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #3431 on: April 10, 2021, 03:05:40 PM »
« Edited: April 10, 2021, 05:14:04 PM by Vaccinated Russian Bear »

Nate Silver accuses Fauci of “gaslighting” for claiming we still don’t know if vaccines can stop transmission:

https://twitter.com/natesilver538/status/1380920891463364610

It is not the first time Fauce tells a "white lie". I know, he has good intentions, but I don't know, if his lies make it better or worse. And, when you don't know, usually it's better to just be transparent instead of playing socio-psychological 4D chess.
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #3432 on: April 10, 2021, 04:15:31 PM »

Totally agree with Nate here.  Why is any public health officials doing anything that will discourage people from taking the vaccine???
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3433 on: April 10, 2021, 04:45:22 PM »

Silver is completely right. If someone has been fully vaccinated and waited the two week period, why the hell should they still have to live like nothing changed? The thought process of many hesitant folks will just be "why get vaccinated at all then?"
Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #3434 on: April 10, 2021, 05:14:16 PM »

Asta

« Reply #3435 on: April 10, 2021, 06:04:45 PM »

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/science/science-briefs/fully-vaccinated-people.html

"A growing body of evidence suggests that fully vaccinated people are less likely to have asymptomatic infection and potentially less likely to transmit SARS-CoV-2 to others. However, further investigation is ongoing."

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/04/01/health/coronavirus-vaccine-walensky.html

Can Vaccinated People Spread the Virus? We Don’t Know, Scientists Say.

What do you expect Fauci to say at this stage with less than half of Americans fully vaccinated? You shouldn't state anything in concrete form until they unearth more of the unknowns of the virus. That's why you see scientific studies always saying "it may increase the risk of xx" even if it supports previous studies stating the same.

For someone like Silver whose specialty is hedging with remarks like "Trump could still have a chance", his attacks on Fauci and diction of "gaslighting" are relatively undeserved.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #3436 on: April 10, 2021, 06:21:07 PM »

I don't know how Fauci should word it exactly, but I definitely don't think he's trying to gaslight.
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #3437 on: April 10, 2021, 07:11:50 PM »

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/science/science-briefs/fully-vaccinated-people.html

"A growing body of evidence suggests that fully vaccinated people are less likely to have asymptomatic infection and potentially less likely to transmit SARS-CoV-2 to others. However, further investigation is ongoing."

What do you expect Fauci to say at this stage with less than half of Americans fully vaccinated? You shouldn't state anything in concrete form until they unearth more of the unknowns of the virus. That's why you see scientific studies always saying "it may increase the risk of xx" even if it supports previous studies stating the same.

For someone like Silver whose specialty is hedging with remarks like "Trump could still have a chance", his attacks on Fauci and diction of "gaslighting" are relatively undeserved.

He should say something like “there is strong scientific evidence from multiple sources that vaccination dramatically reduces your risk of becoming infected or spreading the infection.”. Because this is the most accurate summary of the evidence.  

Then he’s free to add “further investigation is ongoing” if he wants.

Sometimes I feel like even the best medical researchers have no sense of Bayesian statistics at all.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #3438 on: April 10, 2021, 07:24:45 PM »
« Edited: April 10, 2021, 07:41:11 PM by Calthrina950 »

Fauci remains cautious, and I think his comments may very well have been misinterpreted. He and other public health officials, including the CDC Director, have urged people to continue to adhering to coronavirus precautions until we've obtained a higher vaccination rate. He seems to believe we will be back to normal by the time this year is out.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3439 on: April 10, 2021, 07:36:42 PM »

Fauci remains cautious, and I think his comments may very well have been misinterpreted. He and other public health officials, including the CDC Director, have urged people to continue to adhering to  coronavirus precautions until we've obtained a higher vaccination rate. He seems to believe we will be back to normal by the time this year is out.
I think it’s almost certain vaccinated people are usually prevented from spreading the virus, but obviously Fauci can’t say that because there isn’t really concrete evidence on a large scale (but it’s coming)
Asta

« Reply #3440 on: April 10, 2021, 07:48:29 PM »
« Edited: April 10, 2021, 07:51:41 PM by Asta »

He should say something like “there is strong scientific evidence from multiple sources that vaccination dramatically reduces your risk of becoming infected or spreading the infection.”. Because this is the most accurate summary of the evidence.  

Then he’s free to add “further investigation is ongoing” if he wants.

Sometimes I feel like even the best medical researchers have no sense of Bayesian statistics at all.

The only thing article has stated is that Fauci will take precautions till we know for sure vaccinated people don't spread it.

It never mentions whether he was personally asked the question of "Do you think multiple studies pointing to effectiveness are valid? If he said "those studies don't mean anything and we must still be careful" then that's one thing. But that's not what the context, at least based on how I read, indicates.

The article is full of how Fauci, himself, personally doesn't engage in risk-prone activities...yet. And it even goes on to mention how he is just a workhorse in general.

Silver took things out of context and blew them out of proportion.
Asta

« Reply #3441 on: April 10, 2021, 07:59:15 PM »

Fauci remains cautious, and I think his comments may very well have been misinterpreted. He and other public health officials, including the CDC Director, have urged people to continue to adhering to coronavirus precautions until we've obtained a higher vaccination rate. He seems to believe we will be back to normal by the time this year is out.

Agreed. I have no problem with CDC, as they often seem to be, on the conservative side of conclusions. I don't care about Fauci much at all, but the hatred and nitpicking that he gets from the right and even the left wingers are absurd.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #3442 on: April 10, 2021, 08:04:48 PM »

Agreed. I have no problem with CDC, as they often seem to be, on the conservative side of conclusions. I don't care about Fauci much at all, but the hatred and nitpicking that he gets from the right and even the left wingers are absurd.

Many on the right seem to believe that Fauci is controlling the federal government's entire coronavirus response, and even the responses of the more restrictive states. Of course, many of those same people also believe in the conspiracy theories that Fauci colluded with Bill Gates, the Chinese Government, and other elements to engineer the pandemic. As I've said before, the man is merely doing the job which he's done for nearly 40 years now.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #3443 on: April 10, 2021, 11:05:07 PM »

The updated numbers for COVID-19 in the U.S. are in for 4/10 per: https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

I'm keeping track of these updates daily and updating at the end of the day, whenever all states finish reporting for that day.

ΔW Change: Comparisons of Weekly Day-to-day Growth or Decline of COVID-19 Spread/Deaths.
  • IE: Comparing the numbers to the same day of last week, are we flattening the curve enough?

Σ Increase: A day's contribution to overall percentage growth of COVID-19 cases/deaths.
  • IE:What's the overall change in the total?

Brackets []: These represent the total change for the day, including backlogged reports, if any.
  • These numbers are inflated relative to the actual reports for the day, so they are not used to calculate the comparative percentage shifts.

Older Numbers (Hidden in spoiler mode to make the post more compact)
Spoiler alert! Click Show to show the content.

3/28: <Sunday>
  • Cases: 30,957,997 (+40,867 | ΔW Change: ↑3.47% | Σ Increase: ↑0.13%)
  • Deaths: 562,495 (+483 | ΔW Change: ↑6.15% | Σ Increase: ↑0.09%)

3/29: <M>
  • Cases: 31,033,801 (+59,707 [+75,804] | ΔW Change: ↑23.38% | Σ Increase: ↑0.24%)
  • Deaths: 563,206 (+639 [+711] | ΔW Change: ↑1.27% | Σ Increase: ↑0.13%)

3/30: <T>
  • Cases: 31,097,154 (+63,353 | ΔW Change: ↑6.35% | Σ Increase: ↑0.20%)
  • Deaths: 564,138 (+932 | ΔW Change: ↓0.64% | Σ Increase: ↑0.17%)

3/31: <W>
  • Cases: 31,166,344 (+69,190 | ΔW Change: ↑2.11% | Σ Increase: ↑0.22%)
  • Deaths: 565,256 (+1,118 | ΔW Change: ↓20.43% | Σ Increase: ↑0.20%)

4/1: <Þ>
  • Cases: 31,244,639 (+78,295 | ΔW Change: ↑16.78% | Σ Increase: ↑0.25%)
  • Deaths: 566,611 (+952 [+1,355] | ΔW Change: ↓18.28% | Σ Increase: ↑0.24%)

4/2: <F>
  • Cases: 31,314,625 (+69,986 | ΔW Change: ↓11.41% | Σ Increase: ↑0.22%)
  • Deaths: 567,610 (+999 | ΔW Change: ↓28.54% | Σ Increase: ↑0.18%)

4/3: <S>
  • Cases: 31,382,205 (+67,580 | ΔW Change: ↑5.43% | Σ Increase: ↑0.22%)
  • Deaths: 568,499 (+793 [+889] | ΔW Change: ↑0.76% | Σ Increase: ↑0.16%)

4/4 (Holiday): <Sunday>
  • Cases: 31,420,331 (+38,126 | ΔW Change: ↓3.47% | Σ Increase: ↑0.12%)
  • Deaths: 568,777 (+278 | ΔW Change: ↓38.90% | Σ Increase: ↑0.05%)

4/5: <M>
  • Cases: 31,490,563 (+50,329 [+70,232] | ΔW Change: ↓15.71% | Σ Increase: ↑0.22%)
  • Deaths: 569,197 (+420 | ΔW Change: ↓34.27% | Σ Increase: ↑0.07%)

4/6: <T>
  • Cases: 31,560,438 (+62,283 [+69,875] | ΔW Change: ↓1.69% | Σ Increase: ↑0.22%)
  • Deaths: 570,260 (+906 [+1,063] | ΔW Change: ↓2.79% | Σ Increase: ↑0.19%)

4/7: <W>
  • Cases: 31,637,243 (+76,805 | ΔW Change: ↑9.91% | Σ Increase: ↑0.24%)
  • Deaths: 572,849 (+873 [+2,589] | ΔW Change: ↓21.91% | Σ Increase: ↑0.45%)

4/8: <Þ>
  • Cases: 31,717,404 (+75,183 [+80,161] | ΔW Change: ↓3.97% | Σ Increase: ↑0.25%)
  • Deaths: 573,856 (+872 [+1,007] | ΔW Change: ↓8.40% | Σ Increase: ↑0.18%)

4/9 (Yesterday): <F>
  • Cases: 31,802,772 (+85,368 | ΔW Change: ↑21.98% | Σ Increase: ↑0.27%)
  • Deaths: 574,840 (+984 | ΔW Change: ↓1.50% | Σ Increase: ↑0.17%)

4/10 (Today): <S>
  • Cases: 31,869,980 (+67,208 | ΔW Change: ↓0.60% | Σ Increase: ↑0.21%)
  • Deaths: 575,593 (+753 | ΔW Change: ↓5.04% | Σ Increase: ↑0.13%)
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #3444 on: April 11, 2021, 07:51:15 AM »

Australia's Department of Health has made a significant medical breakthrough in the COVID-19 vaccine rollout.

I know you guys think that because Australia has virtually no COVID-19 virus, we are not able to research the application of the vaccine in terms of the prevention of the virus. But this article proves we are at the pinnacle of medical research:

https://www.health.gov.au/initiatives-and-programs/covid-19-vaccines/is-it-true/is-it-true-can-covid-19-vaccines-connect-me-to-the-internet

"Can COVID-19 vaccines connect me to the internet?
COVID-19 vaccines do not – and cannot – connect you to the internet."
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #3445 on: April 11, 2021, 08:20:17 AM »

Australia's Department of Health has made a significant medical breakthrough in the COVID-19 vaccine rollout.

I know you guys think that because Australia has virtually no COVID-19 virus, we are not able to research the application of the vaccine in terms of the prevention of the virus. But this article proves we are at the pinnacle of medical research:

https://www.health.gov.au/initiatives-and-programs/covid-19-vaccines/is-it-true/is-it-true-can-covid-19-vaccines-connect-me-to-the-internet

Damn, so much NWO Bill Gates conspiracies and they can't evne make a chip that can connect you to the internet? Big disappointment Angry
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #3446 on: April 11, 2021, 09:09:16 AM »

Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3447 on: April 11, 2021, 09:32:59 AM »

Damn, so much NWO Bill Gates conspiracies and they can't evne make a chip that can connect you to the internet? Big disappointment Angry

Apparently Elon said you could get Zune through the vaccines.
DabbingSanta
United States
P P P
« Reply #3448 on: April 11, 2021, 09:48:50 AM »

Michigan, a state that has seen unprecedented and unconstitutional restrictions implemented in response to the coronavirus, is seeing a record surge.  Yesterday, the state recorded over 8000 cases.

Texas, a state which lifted their remaining restrictions a month ago, is near an all time low in cases.  They are nearly 3x the population of Michigan, but they only recorded 2500 cases yesterday.

It is clear what works and what doesn't.  If you still support lockdowns and mask mandates at this point, there is no point having a reasonable conversation.  If you only selectively support "freedom" and democracy when it benefits your side, you are part of the problem.  It is time to reopen America now, and fully, before it is too late.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #3449 on: April 11, 2021, 09:54:51 AM »

Luckily, I think Michigan is leveling off a little bit, and New Jersey clearly is. I know Texas is doing better though.

I'm surprised the U.S. overall isn't doing much better, since the vaccines are rolling out.
Pages: 1 ... 133 134 135 136 137 [138] 139 140 141 142 143 ... 456  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies