COVID-19 Megathread 6: Return of the Omicron
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 10, 2024, 04:37:02 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  COVID-19 Megathread 6: Return of the Omicron
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 189 190 191 192 193 [194] 195 196 197 198 199 ... 456
Poll
Question: ?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 115

Author Topic: COVID-19 Megathread 6: Return of the Omicron  (Read 538284 times)
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4825 on: July 06, 2021, 09:16:27 PM »

Very sad news folks
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4826 on: July 06, 2021, 09:29:57 PM »

All true but you're in a heavily Republican state, and interestingly school reopenings have been one of the few COVID related issues the GOP is better on. This is surprising because pre covid I always associated home "schooling" with the right.

Worth noting the home schooling advocated by Dems as a covid measure (virtual learning) is vastly different than the sort of homeschooling often associated with the right, which often involves subverting the education system by defunding and creating their own revisionist curriculum.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4827 on: July 06, 2021, 09:33:25 PM »

Reported for misinformation and vaccine denialism.
What is misinformation?
And I’m happy to be vaccinated, and tell others to get vaccinated. I think this just makes the case for a booster shot, if more studies confirm this.

What is this "usual 94%" claim? How much did J&J or AstraZenica pay you to pretend this drop is specific to one vaccine, or are you just that ignorant?

This is story reported in local news, so I’m passing it along so people know or can clarify anything wrong.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #4828 on: July 06, 2021, 09:45:47 PM »

The updated numbers for COVID-19 in the U.S. are in for 7/6 per: https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

I'm keeping track of these updates daily and updating at the end of the day, whenever all states finish reporting for that day.

ΔW Change: Comparisons of Weekly Day-to-day Growth or Decline of COVID-19 Spread/Deaths.
  • IE: Comparing the numbers to the same day of last week, are we flattening the curve enough?

Σ Increase: A day's contribution to overall percentage growth of COVID-19 cases/deaths.
  • IE:What's the overall change in the total?

Brackets []: These represent the total change for the day, including backlogged reports, if any.
  • These numbers are inflated relative to the actual reports for the day, so they are not used to calculate the comparative percentage shifts.

Older Numbers (Hidden in spoiler mode to make the post more compact)
Spoiler alert! Click Show to show the content.

6/27 (Last Sunday Holiday): <Sunday>
  • Cases: 34,494,677 (+4,543 | ΔW Change: ↑5.92% | Σ Increase: ↑0.01%)
  • Deaths: 619,424 (+81 | ΔW Change: ↓2.41% | Σ Increase: ↑0.01%)

6/28: <M>
  • Cases: 34,511,636 (+10,754 [+16,959] | ΔW Change: ↑62.72% | Σ Increase: ↑0.02%)
  • Deaths: 619,595 (+137 [+171] | ΔW Change: ↑13.22% | Σ Increase: ↑0.03%)

6/29: <T>
  • Cases: 34,527,493 (+11,982 [+15,857] | ΔW Change: ↑21.05% | Σ Increase: ↑0.05%)
  • Deaths: 619,980 (+164 [+385] | ΔW Change: ↓51.04% | Σ Increase: ↑0.06%)

6/30: <W>
  • Cases: 34,544,094 (+13,215 [+16,601] | ΔW Change: ↑2.11% | Σ Increase: ↑0.05%)
  • Deaths: 620,237 (+257 | ΔW Change: ↓21.17% | Σ Increase: ↑0.04%)

7/1: <Þ>
  • Cases: 34,561,607 (+17,513 | ΔW Change: ↑31.04% | Σ Increase: ↑0.05%)
  • Deaths: 620,658 (+319 [+421] | ΔW Change: ↓3.04% | Σ Increase: ↑0.07%)

7/2: <F>
  • Cases: 34,579,485 (+17,878 | ΔW Change: ↑15.07% | Σ Increase: ↑0.05%)
  • Deaths: 620,980 (+322 | ΔW Change: ↓16.80% | Σ Increase: ↑0.05%)

7/3: <S>
  • Cases: 34,588,069 (+7,871 [+8,584] | ΔW Change: ↑5.48% | Σ Increase: ↑0.02%)
  • Deaths: 621,255 (+96 [+275] | ΔW Change: ↓36.00% | Σ Increase: ↑0.04%)

7/4 (Holiday): <Sunday>
  • Cases: 34,592,377 (+4,308 | ΔW Change: ↓5.17% | Σ Increase: ↑0.01%)
  • Deaths: 621,293 (+38 | ΔW Change: ↓53.09% | Σ Increase: ↑0.01%)

7/5 (Yesterday): <M>
  • Cases: 34,598,361 (+4,405 [+5,984] | ΔW Change: ↓59.04% | Σ Increase: ↑0.02%)
  • Deaths: 621,335 (+23 [+42] | ΔW Change: ↓83.21% | Σ Increase: ↑0.01%)

7/6 (Today): <T>
  • Cases: 34,622,690 (+11,612 [+24,329] | ΔW Change: ↓3.09% | Σ Increase: ↑0.07%)
  • Deaths: 621,561 (+202 [+226] | ΔW Change: ↑23.17% | Σ Increase: ↑0.04%)
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4829 on: July 06, 2021, 10:00:29 PM »

There was always a heavy possibility for a booster shot for most vaccines. Already I’m preparing to ensure my sanitation and social distancing habits from before aren’t upended. I know as stubborn as I am that its best to continue being cautious. I have my supplies spread out to not look bulky in public and I’m still staying at a distance from my loved ones. Still no mask or glove wearing, not until the late fall for me.

It is becoming increasingly clear that lifting of social distancing and other Covid-related restrictions happened too early. At the beginning, we should’ve stayed under lockdowns for three straight years until the population was 90% vaccinated, whichever came first. Now, it is best to renew the restrictions for one more year and assess the situation later as we get in more data.
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

« Reply #4830 on: July 06, 2021, 10:08:50 PM »

All true but you're in a heavily Republican state, and interestingly school reopenings have been one of the few COVID related issues the GOP is better on. This is surprising because pre covid I always associated home "schooling" with the right.

Worth noting the home schooling advocated by Dems as a covid measure (virtual learning) is vastly different than the sort of homeschooling often associated with the right, which often involves subverting the education system by defunding and creating their own revisionist curriculum.

The sort of virtual learning however *is* favoured by neoliberals who hope to use this as an opportunity to hire fewer full time teachers or professors and thus have large classes of hundreds of students per online instructor. See Eric Adams.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4831 on: July 06, 2021, 10:20:04 PM »

What is misinformation?
And I’m happy to be vaccinated, and tell others to get vaccinated. I think this just makes the case for a booster shot, if more studies confirm this.

What is this "usual 94%" claim? How much did J&J or AstraZenica pay you to pretend this drop is specific to one vaccine, or are you just that ignorant?

This is story reported in local news, so I’m passing it along so people know or can clarify anything wrong.

The thread headline is highly misleading.

At the beginning, we should’ve stayed under lockdowns for three straight years until the population was 90% vaccinated, whichever came first. Now, it is best to renew the restrictions for one more year and assess the situation later as we get in more data.

There is absolutely no scenario in which this would not be struck down by the courts, even Dem-led courts, if it was even realistically tenable in the first place.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4832 on: July 06, 2021, 10:23:20 PM »

^^^ There still should have been an effort to do so, even with the chance of being struck down.
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

« Reply #4833 on: July 06, 2021, 10:23:47 PM »

^^^ There still should have been an effort to do so, even with the chance of being struck down.

Literally nobody was going to accept 3 year long lockdowns.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4834 on: July 06, 2021, 10:29:00 PM »

Literally nobody was going to accept 3 year long lockdowns.
People respond to vaccination percentages better, which is achievable in less time by a year maximum. 3 years is just a personal metric.
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4835 on: July 06, 2021, 10:29:25 PM »

People are looking for ANY reason to reinstate covid restrictions forever.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #4836 on: July 06, 2021, 10:32:45 PM »

No, people actually want the opposite. They want everyone to be vaccinated so we can reopen safely and not need to lockdown again. Rushing to reopen is going to necessitate another lockdown.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4837 on: July 06, 2021, 10:45:15 PM »

No, people actually want the opposite. They want everyone to be vaccinated so we can reopen safely and not need to lockdown again. Rushing to reopen is going to necessitate another lockdown.

There will never be another lockdown in America. The public would riot. And frankly, I wouldn't blame them. Locking down the country when over half of us have done our part and gotten vaccinated would be absolutely idiotic.
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4838 on: July 06, 2021, 10:49:02 PM »

There will never be another lockdown in the United States again.

We will not be held hostage over a segment of the population who refuses to be injected with a safe and effective vaccine.

And the left screaming that "VACCINES ARE NOT 100% EFFECTIVE!!! ZOMG!!" is not helping at all.

With the wide availablilty of vaccines, I put the economy at a higher priority than public health.

I put the prospects for Democrats winning the 2021 and 2022 elections at a higher  than "public health".  Democrats would be wiped off the map if there is another "lockdown". Which the United States never actually had.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #4839 on: July 06, 2021, 10:51:50 PM »

Thank you for changing the nonsensical thread title, now go back to the usual back and forth. So happy I avoid this thread.
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4840 on: July 06, 2021, 10:52:11 PM »

ooooo and covid proved that hospitality workers.. many of them are lazy as ****. They are almost as bad as teachers in refusing to go back to work.

Come october they will be begging to get their jobs back. hahahahaha
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #4841 on: July 06, 2021, 10:55:53 PM »

There will never be another lockdown in America. The public would riot. And frankly, I wouldn't blame them. Locking down the country when over half of us have done our part and gotten vaccinated would be absolutely idiotic.

We will not be held hostage over a segment of the population who refuses to be injected with a safe and effective vaccine.

And the left screaming that "VACCINES ARE NOT 100% EFFECTIVE!!! ZOMG!!" is not helping at all.

With the wide availablilty of vaccines, I put the economy at a higher priority than public health.

I put the prospects for Democrats winning the 2021 and 2022 elections at a higher  than "public health".  Democrats would be wiped off the map if there is another "lockdown". Which the United States never actually had.

Both of these posts read as treating unvaccinated people as collateral damage, when many of them include children, who are too young to get the vaccine.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #4842 on: July 06, 2021, 10:58:34 PM »

ooooo and covid proved that hospitality workers.. many of them are lazy as ****. They are almost as bad as teachers in refusing to go back to work.

Vaccines for kids under 12 are not yet approved, it'd be stupid to reopen all schools.
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4843 on: July 06, 2021, 10:59:18 PM »

Both of these posts read as treating unvaccinated people as collateral damage, when many of them include children, who are too young to get the vaccine.

Too bad for you there will never be a lockdown in the United States again. Specifically not the Trump states nor Virginia or any of the marginal midwestern states.

oh.. and now it is Virginia law that schools must offer in person learning.  There is no way the pro lockdown people can win now.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4844 on: July 06, 2021, 11:00:26 PM »

Vaccines for kids under 12 are not yet approved, it'd be stupid to reopen all schools.

COVID isn't really much of a threat to children. Might sound cold, but the long term costs of keeping schools closed are far, far worse than having 5 kids out of 50 million die from COVID
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4845 on: July 06, 2021, 11:02:52 PM »

I put the prospects for Democrats winning the 2021 and 2022 elections at a higher  than "public health".  Democrats would be wiped off the map if there is another "lockdown". Which the United States never actually had.

Too bad for you there will never be a lockdown in the United States again. Specifically not the Trump states nor Virginia or any of the marginal midwestern states.

oh.. and now it is Virginia law that schools must offer in person learning.  There is no way the pro lockdown people can win now.

That you're acting like there's some "pro-lockdown" faction that sees this as their only goal that you're gloating about "not winning" shows how completely warped your view on this has become and you are just as bad as Trump's kind.
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4846 on: July 06, 2021, 11:09:45 PM »

I remember after Biden's election victory that many on the online left thought he would come into office on January 20th and lockdown the entire country. Haha he has literally done the opposite.

Biden would have zero authority to lockdown the entire country and a vast majority of states would refuse to comply.

And we shall not become another Australia. Eventually, Australia will have to open up and have their entire population extremely vulnerable to covid as there is virtually no natural immunity down there.

Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4847 on: July 07, 2021, 12:14:34 AM »

I remember after Biden's election victory that many on the online left thought he would come into office on January 20th and lockdown the entire country. Haha he has literally done the opposite.

Biden would have zero authority to lockdown the entire country and a vast majority of states would refuse to comply.

And we shall not become another Australia. Eventually, Australia will have to open up and have their entire population extremely vulnerable to covid as there is virtually no natural immunity down there.

Australia and NZ are going to be vaccinated too and end up avoiding massive loss of life, and actually avoid a lot of the economic impact too.
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #4848 on: July 07, 2021, 12:18:22 AM »

Australia and NZ are going to be vaccinated too and end up avoiding massive loss of life, and actually avoid a lot of the economic impact too.

Australia seems like they’ve been a massive failure.  Why are they locking down yet again at the slightest sign of infections rather than actually trying to get vaccines?  They are way behind virtually ever other developed country in vaccination despite having the most draconian lockdown policies in the world.
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #4849 on: July 07, 2021, 12:25:50 AM »

Now that the US has way more vaccine supply and demand, is there any reason not to go ahead and get a third or fourth dose?  (Besides having to lie about already being vaccinated.)
Pages: 1 ... 189 190 191 192 193 [194] 195 196 197 198 199 ... 456  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies