COVID-19 Megathread 5: The Trumps catch COVID-19
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 12:23:02 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  COVID-19 Megathread 5: The Trumps catch COVID-19
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 196 197 198 199 200 [201]
Author Topic: COVID-19 Megathread 5: The Trumps catch COVID-19  (Read 262184 times)
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5000 on: August 03, 2020, 02:33:28 PM »

People are done listening to the "Lockdown! Lockdown! Lockdown!" types.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #5001 on: August 03, 2020, 02:42:33 PM »

A few weeks from now, there’s a good chance that those saying that Europe did so much better then the US at controlling the virus are going to look like Ron DeSantis bragging about how Florida responded better New York.

Spain has gone from averaging 300 cases/day a month ago to 2000 cases/day, and it looks like its second wave has just started growing.  Belgium, which already had the highest death rate in the world, has grown from 100 cases/day to 600 in the same time frame.  Even Germany has seen their cases double in the past two weeks.

Lockdowns do not prevent the spread of the virus, they just delay it.
Fair enough.
Lockdowns aren’t a strategy, they are a way of bringing cases down to the point you CAN have a good strategy.
If you are in a US or Italy situation, no amount of contact tracing will solve the issue.
I still would argue France and Germany did better than us, but Italy, Spain, and the UK are more debatable. However, combined those countries are doing better than us NOW.

Imho Vietnam is a good example of how we should have done things early on (although even they are going to have a wave soon)

If your idea of what needs to be done to control the pandemic is completely detached from any sort of empirical reality (you hold up Vietnam's response, while admitting they are going to have a wave soon; and you still praise European countries who have had comparatively more deaths that the U.S. despite even harsher lockdowns) then the "mask's off" that driving Americans into quarantine was always more about ideology to you than actual science. 
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #5002 on: August 03, 2020, 02:59:07 PM »

People are done listening to the "Lockdown! Lockdown! Lockdown!" types.

They may be, but the virus is far from done as well.
GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5003 on: August 03, 2020, 03:11:09 PM »

It's not possible for it to be more hot than it's been here in Florida. We've had record heat, oppressive humidity, and a baking UV index. If Covid-19 spreads because of AC where the hell is it originating from?

The contact tracing has been so bad.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5004 on: August 03, 2020, 03:32:03 PM »

^ attacked Deborah Birx.

Donald Trump attacked Nancy Pelosi for attacking Deborah Birx and then he went on to attack Deborah Birx.

When we took a day trip to Newport, we saw these two yorkies who desperately wanted to fight the other bigger dogs. When their owners tightened their leashes, they just unloaded on each other. It was kind of funny.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5005 on: August 03, 2020, 03:57:41 PM »
« Edited: August 03, 2020, 04:14:05 PM by Forumlurker »

A few weeks from now, there’s a good chance that those saying that Europe did so much better then the US at controlling the virus are going to look like Ron DeSantis bragging about how Florida responded better New York.

Spain has gone from averaging 300 cases/day a month ago to 2000 cases/day, and it looks like its second wave has just started growing.  Belgium, which already had the highest death rate in the world, has grown from 100 cases/day to 600 in the same time frame.  Even Germany has seen their cases double in the past two weeks.

Fair enough.
Lockdowns aren’t a strategy, they are a way of bringing cases down to the point you CAN have a good strategy.
If you are in a US or Italy situation, no amount of contact tracing will solve the issue.
I still would argue France and Germany did better than us, but Italy, Spain, and the UK are more debatable. However, combined those countries are doing better than us NOW.

Imho Vietnam is a good example of how we should have done things early on (although even they are going to have a wave soon)

If your idea of what needs to be done to control the pandemic is completely detached from any sort of empirical reality (you hold up Vietnam's response, while admitting they are going to have a wave soon; and you still praise European countries who have had comparatively more deaths that the U.S. despite even harsher lockdowns) then the "mask's off" that driving Americans into quarantine was always more about ideology to you than actual science.  
1. I said European countries are doing better right NOW. Funny how you couldn’t read the one word in all-caps. I guess I should have bolded it as well. They did worse in March, although some of that was just due to bad luck and lack of knowledge of the virus. They all still should have banned flights from China early on and enforced masks everywhere back when there were only a few hundred cases.
2. Vietnam is a developing country and I do think developing countries will have a much more difficult time controlling Covid, and they have thus far been successful. Also, a Vietnamese “wave” would be wonderful to have now in the US. Maybe you should look at their numbers thus far.
3. You want to talk about ideology?
You are the one who refuses to admit he was wrong before about certain things. You are the walking definition of an ideological hack these days. You take things out of context, you twist studies to fit your beliefs, and you are selectively illiterate whenever it’s convenient.
I oftentimes buck my own party, I even spoke out against BLM protests over virus concerns. But of course, anyone who even wants to admit this virus is dangerous is an ideological hack.

We are all goddamn tired of your “everything is okay” shtick. It may have been cute back in March but it sure as hell isn’t now that many people have seen firsthand just how bad this can be.

I may be extreme in how I want to control the virus, but at least I have ideas that don’t involve burying my thick skull in the sand and pretending everything is alright.
You constantly talk about how keeping schools closed is bad for those in poverty while refusing to even talk about how a system which renders families unable to feed themselves at their house is an inherently flawed and dangerous system. You say masks are bad yet don’t want lockdowns either. There are hundreds of innovative solutions we can come up with that don’t involve f**king around and doing nothing.
Stop with your bs and for gods sake, stop taking my words out of context and at least try to think for about five seconds before posting.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #5006 on: August 03, 2020, 04:41:59 PM »

Spain has gone from averaging 300 cases/day a month ago to 2000 cases/day, and it looks like its second wave has just started growing.  Belgium, which already had the highest death rate in the world, has grown from 100 cases/day to 600 in the same time frame.  Even Germany has seen their cases double in the past two weeks.

Fair enough.

1. I said European countries are doing better right NOW. Funny how you couldn’t read the one word in all-caps. I guess I should have bolded it as well. They did worse in March, although some of that was just due to bad luck and lack of knowledge of the virus. They all still should have banned flights from China early on and enforced masks everywhere back when there were only a few hundred cases.
2. Vietnam is a developing country and I do think developing countries will have a much more difficult time controlling Covid, and they have thus far been successful. Also, a Vietnamese “wave” would be wonderful to have now in the US. Maybe you should look at their numbers thus far.
3. You want to talk about ideology?
You are the one who refuses to admit he was wrong before about certain things. You are the walking definition of an ideological hack these days. You take things out of context, you twist studies to fit your beliefs, and you are selectively illiterate whenever it’s convenient.
I oftentimes buck my own party, I even spoke out against BLM protests over virus concerns. But of course, anyone who even wants to admit this virus is dangerous is an ideological hack.

We are all goddamn tired of your “everything is okay” shtick. It may have been cute back in March but it sure as hell isn’t now that many people have seen firsthand just how bad this can be.

I may be extreme in how I want to control the virus, but at least I have ideas that don’t involve burying my thick skull in the sand and pretending everything is alright.
You constantly talk about how keeping schools closed is bad for those in poverty while refusing to even talk about how a system which renders families unable to feed themselves at their house is an inherently flawed and dangerous system. You say masks are bad yet don’t want lockdowns either. There are hundreds of innovative solutions we can come up with that don’t involve f**king around and doing nothing.
Stop with your bs and for gods sake, stop taking my words out of context and at least try to think for about five seconds before posting.

An "everything is okay" shtick is absolutely necessary as a counterweight to the prevailing attitude (often enforced by state fiat) of reflexively enforcing, expanding and extending any conceivable mitigation measure imaginable, even in spite of a lack of evidence that many such interventions would be effective.

The rest of your post drifts through a lot of unspecified criticisms that I could take the time to respond to individually, but I think my previous statement really distills the broader point.         
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5007 on: October 09, 2020, 09:44:42 AM »

New thread: https://talkelections.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=402803
Pages: 1 ... 196 197 198 199 200 [201]  
« previous next »