COVID-19 Megathread 6: Return of the Omicron
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 12:06:25 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  COVID-19 Megathread 6: Return of the Omicron
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 141 142 143 144 145 [146] 147 148 149 150 151 ... 456
Poll
Question: ?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 115

Author Topic: COVID-19 Megathread 6: Return of the Omicron  (Read 532837 times)
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3625 on: April 15, 2021, 10:43:49 PM »

May I ask an honest question to the online left here ?

Almost everything is open in the United States. What is your end goal for the pandemic? At what point would you feel comfortable leaving your houses, at what point will you not shame people for leaving their houses? At what point will you be comfortable with kids in school?

NYDem
United States Minor Outlying Islands

« Reply #3626 on: April 16, 2021, 02:18:31 AM »

I have a question that I've been wondering about a while now, for the medically knowledgable people here.

At what point is something no longer a pandemic? If COVID-19 is still circulating in x years, when do they just say that it is endemic in humans?
Interlocutor is just not there yet
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.04

« Reply #3627 on: April 16, 2021, 03:04:51 AM »
« Edited: April 16, 2021, 03:11:20 AM by Monstro Believes DeSantis is more Overrated than Haley »

Almost everything is open in the United States. What is your end goal for the pandemic? At what point would you feel comfortable leaving your houses, at what point will you not shame people for leaving their houses? At what point will you be comfortable with kids in school?

As soon as I get the OK from my online left local office, I'll let you know.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3628 on: April 16, 2021, 07:16:21 AM »

I have a question that I've been wondering about a while now, for the medically knowledgable people here.

At what point is something no longer a pandemic? If COVID-19 is still circulating in x years, when do they just say that it is endemic in humans?

The pandemic is over when people say its over.
Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #3629 on: April 16, 2021, 08:06:49 AM »

Fun fact: Trump would never let Fauci pause his precious vaccines. Follow the sciene.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3630 on: April 16, 2021, 09:56:12 AM »

New Hampshire becomes the 24th state without a mask mandate, effective tomorrow.

Actually, if Louisiana, Kentucky, and West Virginia were to repeal theirs, it would kind of look like a passable election map.  New Hampshire voting to the right of Ohio and North Carolina would be a little odd, but it would be in the theoretical range of possibilities.

There is a definite correlation between the election and vaccination pace.

https://apnews.com/article/joe-biden-donald-trump-alabama-georgia-savannah-941ef2bf9b60ee39d6b9fd5e2ce861f7
roxas11
United States

« Reply #3631 on: April 16, 2021, 11:30:11 AM »
« Edited: April 16, 2021, 11:33:48 AM by roxas11 »

Fun fact: Trump would never let Fauci pause his precious vaccines. Follow the sciene.

Trump acts as if he is embarrassed to be even associated with those precious vaccines and He did not even want to be seen on camera taking it.

This is a guy who did not mind selling and promoting a crappy products like this

yet when it when comes to the vaccines he barely even talks about it and he is not really making any serious attempt to convince his supporters to take it.
cg41386
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.39, S: -7.74

« Reply #3632 on: April 16, 2021, 11:33:26 AM »

Is there actually a sizeable contingent of liberals supporting permanent online schooling? What would even be the reason for that? I thought many wanted it until the Fall or maybe until next year at the latest.

I was reading NYT comments on this issue just today and they were indistinguishable from a conservative mommy blog, minus the anti vaxx stuff. This is a very common view and they're ignoring the science.

Oh come on, you're smarter than this. Maybe stop reading comments sections?
Not Me, Us
KhanOfKhans
United States

« Reply #3633 on: April 16, 2021, 11:33:39 AM »

I feel comfortable leaving my house right now, and I regularly do so. I'll feel comfortable being in public without a mask, which is what I think you actually mean, two weeks after I get my second dose, which is currently scheduled for April 30. I don't shame people for leaving their house and never have. I believe that once people are vaccinated, they should have no restrictions. I support fully reopening schools next Fall, with a vaccine requirement for students, teachers, and staff, obviously excluding those who can't get the vaccine for legitimate medical reasons. Any more strawmen arguments you'd like to make?
GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3634 on: April 16, 2021, 12:34:24 PM »

Went to the supermarkets today(Walmart and Publix) and it was the first time I saw roughly half of people without a mask even though the front-door sign still suggests people please wear masks and also provides free masks.

In the Latino Supermarket most people still had masks.
Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #3635 on: April 16, 2021, 12:56:13 PM »

I feel comfortable leaving my house right now, and I regularly do so.

Wait, what? Haven't you felt comfortable leaving our house until now? Going (and cycling) outside has been one of few pleasure we could afford ourselves, since people were allowed to leave their home for walks (you had basically stay home at 2 months here during the lock-down a year ago). We didn't even really need to use masks, because we live near a park and a river, where you can easily keep physical distancing. Perhaps, you live in super-urban area with no parks and don't own a car/bike?

https://apps.who.int/iris/handle/10665/337199
Mask use in the context of COVID-19
- WHO advises that the general public should wear a non-medical mask in indoor (e.g. shops, shared workplaces, schools - see Table 2 for details) or outdoor settings where physical distancing of at least 1 metre cannot be maintained.

Follow the science! (Though, we kept at least 3 meters).
Not Me, Us
KhanOfKhans
United States

« Reply #3636 on: April 16, 2021, 01:28:52 PM »

I feel comfortable leaving my house right now, and I regularly do so.

Wait, what? Haven't you felt comfortable leaving our house until now? Going (and cycling) outside has been one of few pleasure we could afford ourselves, since people were allowed to leave their home for walks (you had basically stay home at 2 months here during the lock-down a year ago). We didn't even really need to use masks, because we live near a park and a river, where you can easily keep physical distancing. Perhaps, you live in super-urban area with no parks and don't own a car/bike?

https://apps.who.int/iris/handle/10665/337199
Mask use in the context of COVID-19
- WHO advises that the general public should wear a non-medical mask in indoor (e.g. shops, shared workplaces, schools - see Table 2 for details) or outdoor settings where physical distancing of at least 1 metre cannot be maintained.

Follow the science! (Though, we kept at least 3 meters).

You misunderstand me. I go on regular walks maskless and have since the pandemic began. I've also met with friends outside many times since the pandemic began, though usually with masks. I've also worked retail for the entire duration of the pandemic, I leave my house all the time, I just do it safely.
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3637 on: April 16, 2021, 02:31:27 PM »

Which is not what the article says, or what the CEO said. CNBC and the rest of the media are just fishing for clicks here.

The quote: "So I think for planning purposes, planning purposes only, I think we should expect that we may have to boost."

He's just hedging that they don't know how long the vaccine will be effective for without a booster. He didn't say "likely" anywhere, just that there was a chance it would be needed, which is fair because we don't have definitive data on the length of effectiveness (though the evidence seems to suggest that it will probably be effective for a long time and not require a booster this year, at least, given that there's been no observed decline in effectiveness over six months in the trial volunteers).
Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #3638 on: April 16, 2021, 03:43:29 PM »

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/04/14/us/michigans-governor-again-resists-imposing-new-restrictions-as-cases-keep-surging.html
Michigan’s governor again resists imposing new restrictions, as cases keep surging.
Michigan’s worst-in-the-nation coronavirus outbreak shows no signs of abating. Daily reports of new cases continue to climb. Hospitalizations are approaching peak levels. And deaths are rising, too.

But Gov. Gretchen Whitmer, a Democrat who unapologetically locked down her state last year, signaled again on Wednesday that she had no plans to impose new restrictions.

“Instead of mandating that we’re closing things down, we are encouraging people to do what we know works,” Ms. Whitmer said, stressing that a mask mandate and occupancy limits remained in place in the state. “It’s not the policy problem. It is a variant and compliance problem.”

Ms. Whitmer finds herself overseeing a rapidly escalating crisis with no easy solutions. Sixteen of the 17 metro areas with the highest recent case rates in the country are in her state, which has accounted for more than 10 percent of all U.S. cases reported in the last week.

Instead of ordering a new shutdown, Ms. Whitmer spent much of her news conference on Wednesday talking about the benefits of therapeutics, including monoclonal antibodies, and urging people to be open to those treatments if they are given a Covid-19 diagnosis. She also pleaded with residents to wear masks and get vaccinated.

Imagine the outrage and the adjectives DeSantis would face, if it was him.
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #3639 on: April 16, 2021, 04:15:51 PM »

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/04/14/us/michigans-governor-again-resists-imposing-new-restrictions-as-cases-keep-surging.html
Michigan’s governor again resists imposing new restrictions, as cases keep surging.
Michigan’s worst-in-the-nation coronavirus outbreak shows no signs of abating. Daily reports of new cases continue to climb. Hospitalizations are approaching peak levels. And deaths are rising, too.

But Gov. Gretchen Whitmer, a Democrat who unapologetically locked down her state last year, signaled again on Wednesday that she had no plans to impose new restrictions.

“Instead of mandating that we’re closing things down, we are encouraging people to do what we know works,” Ms. Whitmer said, stressing that a mask mandate and occupancy limits remained in place in the state. “It’s not the policy problem. It is a variant and compliance problem.”

Ms. Whitmer finds herself overseeing a rapidly escalating crisis with no easy solutions. Sixteen of the 17 metro areas with the highest recent case rates in the country are in her state, which has accounted for more than 10 percent of all U.S. cases reported in the last week.

Instead of ordering a new shutdown, Ms. Whitmer spent much of her news conference on Wednesday talking about the benefits of therapeutics, including monoclonal antibodies, and urging people to be open to those treatments if they are given a Covid-19 diagnosis. She also pleaded with residents to wear masks and get vaccinated.

How many of those 4,011 covid patients were vaccinated?

I'm also curious how many are children.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3640 on: April 16, 2021, 05:18:21 PM »

This is what happens when terrorists make government officials afraid to do their jobs.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #3641 on: April 16, 2021, 06:59:44 PM »

Trump acts as if he is embarrassed to be even associated with those precious vaccines and He did not even want to be seen on camera taking it.

This is a guy who did not mind selling and promoting a crappy products like this

yet when it when comes to the vaccines he barely even talks about it and he is not really making any serious attempt to convince his supporters to take it.

How is it that this the creepiest Trump has ever looked?
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #3642 on: April 16, 2021, 09:33:04 PM »

The updated numbers for COVID-19 in the U.S. are in for 4/16 per: https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

I'm keeping track of these updates daily and updating at the end of the day, whenever all states finish reporting for that day.

ΔW Change: Comparisons of Weekly Day-to-day Growth or Decline of COVID-19 Spread/Deaths.
  • IE: Comparing the numbers to the same day of last week, are we flattening the curve enough?

Σ Increase: A day's contribution to overall percentage growth of COVID-19 cases/deaths.
  • IE:What's the overall change in the total?

Brackets []: These represent the total change for the day, including backlogged reports, if any.
  • These numbers are inflated relative to the actual reports for the day, so they are not used to calculate the comparative percentage shifts.

Older Numbers (Hidden in spoiler mode to make the post more compact)
Spoiler alert! Click Show to show the content.

4/4 (Holiday): <Sunday>
  • Cases: 31,420,331 (+38,126 | ΔW Change: ↓3.47% | Σ Increase: ↑0.12%)
  • Deaths: 568,777 (+278 | ΔW Change: ↓38.90% | Σ Increase: ↑0.05%)

4/5: <M>
  • Cases: 31,490,563 (+50,329 [+70,232] | ΔW Change: ↓15.71% | Σ Increase: ↑0.22%)
  • Deaths: 569,197 (+420 | ΔW Change: ↓34.27% | Σ Increase: ↑0.07%)

4/6: <T>
  • Cases: 31,560,438 (+62,283 [+69,875] | ΔW Change: ↓1.69% | Σ Increase: ↑0.22%)
  • Deaths: 570,260 (+906 [+1,063] | ΔW Change: ↓2.79% | Σ Increase: ↑0.19%)

4/7: <W>
  • Cases: 31,637,243 (+76,805 | ΔW Change: ↑9.91% | Σ Increase: ↑0.24%)
  • Deaths: 572,849 (+873 [+2,589] | ΔW Change: ↓21.91% | Σ Increase: ↑0.45%)

4/8: <̃>
  • Cases: 31,717,404 (+75,183 [+80,161] | ΔW Change: ↓3.97% | Σ Increase: ↑0.25%)
  • Deaths: 573,856 (+872 [+1,007] | ΔW Change: ↓8.40% | Σ Increase: ↑0.18%)

4/9: <F>
  • Cases: 31,802,772 (+85,368 | ΔW Change: ↑21.98% | Σ Increase: ↑0.27%)
  • Deaths: 574,840 (+984 | ΔW Change: ↓1.50% | Σ Increase: ↑0.17%)

4/10: <S>
  • Cases: 31,869,980 (+67,208 | ΔW Change: ↓0.60% | Σ Increase: ↑0.21%)
  • Deaths: 575,593 (+753 | ΔW Change: ↓5.04% | Σ Increase: ↑0.13%)

4/11 (Last Sunday Holiday): <Sunday>
  • Cases: 31,918,591 (+48,611 | ΔW Change: ↑27.50% | Σ Increase: ↑0.15%)
  • Deaths: 575,829 (+293 | ΔW Change: ↑5.40% | Σ Increase: ↑0.04%)

4/12: <M>
  • Cases: 31,990,143 (+56,522 [+71,552] | ΔW Change: ↑12.31% | Σ Increase: ↑0.22%)
  • Deaths: 576,298 (+469 | ΔW Change: ↑11.67% | Σ Increase: ↑0.08%)

4/13: <T>
  • Cases: 32,070,784 (+77,720 [+80,641] | ΔW Change: ↑24.79% | Σ Increase: ↑0.25%)
  • Deaths: 577,179 (+819 [+881] | ΔW Change: ↓9.60% | Σ Increase: ↑0.15%)

4/14: <W>
  • Cases: 32,149,223 (+78,439 | ΔW Change: ↑2.13% | Σ Increase: ↑0.24%)
  • Deaths: 578,092 (+913 | ΔW Change: ↑4.58% | Σ Increase: ↑0.16%)

4/15 (Yesterday): <̃>
  • Cases: 32,224,139 (+74,916 | ΔW Change: ↓0.36% | Σ Increase: ↑0.23%)
  • Deaths: 578,993 (+901 | ΔW Change: ↑3.33% | Σ Increase: ↑0.16%)

4/16 (Today): <F>
  • Cases: 32,305,912 (+81,773 | ΔW Change: ↓4.21% | Σ Increase: ↑0.25%)
  • Deaths: 579,942 (+887 [+949] | ΔW Change: ↓9.86% | Σ Increase: ↑0.16%)
Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #3643 on: April 17, 2021, 12:54:58 PM »

I believe this study has already been noticed here, but I missed the school re-openings part.

https://cpb-us-e1.wpmucdn.com/sites.dartmouth.edu/dist/4/2318/files/2021/03/Why-Is-All-Covid-News-Bad-News-3_22_21.pdf
Why Is All COVID-19 News Bad News?
We analyze the tone of COVID-19 related English-language news articles written since January 1, 2020. Eighty seven percent of stories by U.S. major media outlets are negative in tone versus fifty percent for non-U.S. major sources and sixty four percent for scientific journals. The negativity of the U.S. major media is notable even in areas with positive developments including school re-openings and vaccine trials. Media negativity is unresponsive to changing trends in new COVID-19 cases or the political leanings of the audience. As evidenced by most viewed and most shared major media readers in the U.S. and U.K. strongly prefer negative stories about COVID19, and negative stories in general. But the U.S. major media is more willing to satisfy this demand for negativity in both COVID and pre-COVID years. We suggest that this American exceptionalism stems from the lack of fair and balanced media laws and a lack of a large public option in the U.S. media. The causal impacts of this negative COVID coverage are less obvious; counties in the U.S. that rely more heavily on the major media are as likely to re-open schools as other similar counties

The causal impacts of this negative COVID coverage are less obvious; counties in the U.S. that rely more heavily on the major media are as likely to re-open schools as other similar counties

To smear vaccines and school re-openings, only because Trump invested his political capital in them.

Truly, they are the Enemy of the People.
Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #3644 on: April 17, 2021, 01:18:48 PM »

How many of those 4,011 covid patients were vaccinated?

I'm also curious how many are children.

Good questions.

• Probably 0. According to this article, as for April 5th, *cumulatively* only 246 fully vaccinated people have got Covid since Jan. 3 died. 11 (of 129, for others no data yet) were hospitalized. Vaccines are extremely effective. Thank you, Pr. Trump.
  • Kids (<18) are ~1% of all hospitalized, if I got everything right.

https://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/2021/04/06/vaccinated-covid-19-contract-virus-coronavirus/7101678002/
246 fully vaccinated Michiganders got COVID-19 between January and March, state reports
State health officials say 246 fully vaccinated Michiganders contracted coronavirus from January to March, and three have died.
[...]

Hospitalization data for 129 of the fully vaccinated cases is incomplete, Sutfin said. But for the 117 people for whom hospitalization records are known, 11 were hospitalized.

Kids:
https://gis.cdc.gov/grasp/covidnet/covid19_3.html
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #3645 on: April 17, 2021, 10:48:34 PM »

I don't think outdoor transmission is that nonexistent when you're packed together like that. There's less transmission outdoors because the virus gets carried away and diluted but it's still there and that doesn't happen instantly, it's still in the air right around you after you breathe.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3646 on: April 18, 2021, 12:08:02 AM »

I believe this study has already been noticed here, but I missed the school re-openings part.

https://cpb-us-e1.wpmucdn.com/sites.dartmouth.edu/dist/4/2318/files/2021/03/Why-Is-All-Covid-News-Bad-News-3_22_21.pdf
Why Is All COVID-19 News Bad News?
We analyze the tone of COVID-19 related English-language news articles written since January 1, 2020. Eighty seven percent of stories by U.S. major media outlets are negative in tone versus fifty percent for non-U.S. major sources and sixty four percent for scientific journals. The negativity of the U.S. major media is notable even in areas with positive developments including school re-openings and vaccine trials. Media negativity is unresponsive to changing trends in new COVID-19 cases or the political leanings of the audience. As evidenced by most viewed and most shared major media readers in the U.S. and U.K. strongly prefer negative stories about COVID19, and negative stories in general. But the U.S. major media is more willing to satisfy this demand for negativity in both COVID and pre-COVID years. We suggest that this American exceptionalism stems from the lack of fair and balanced media laws and a lack of a large public option in the U.S. media. The causal impacts of this negative COVID coverage are less obvious; counties in the U.S. that rely more heavily on the major media are as likely to re-open schools as other similar counties

Is PBS, being a quasi-public option, significantly more positive than the rest of the news media in the USA?
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #3647 on: April 18, 2021, 01:20:43 AM »
« Edited: April 18, 2021, 09:24:03 PM by Dr. Arch »

The updated numbers for COVID-19 in the U.S. are in for 4/17 per: https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

I'm keeping track of these updates daily and updating at the end of the day, whenever all states finish reporting for that day.

ΔW Change: Comparisons of Weekly Day-to-day Growth or Decline of COVID-19 Spread/Deaths.
  • IE: Comparing the numbers to the same day of last week, are we flattening the curve enough?

Σ Increase: A day's contribution to overall percentage growth of COVID-19 cases/deaths.
  • IE:What's the overall change in the total?

Brackets []: These represent the total change for the day, including backlogged reports, if any.
  • These numbers are inflated relative to the actual reports for the day, so they are not used to calculate the comparative percentage shifts.

Older Numbers (Hidden in spoiler mode to make the post more compact)
Spoiler alert! Click Show to show the content.

4/4 (Holiday): <Sunday>
  • Cases: 31,420,331 (+38,126 | ΔW Change: ↓3.47% | Σ Increase: ↑0.12%)
  • Deaths: 568,777 (+278 | ΔW Change: ↓38.90% | Σ Increase: ↑0.05%)

4/5: <M>
  • Cases: 31,490,563 (+50,329 [+70,232] | ΔW Change: ↓15.71% | Σ Increase: ↑0.22%)
  • Deaths: 569,197 (+420 | ΔW Change: ↓34.27% | Σ Increase: ↑0.07%)

4/6: <T>
  • Cases: 31,560,438 (+62,283 [+69,875] | ΔW Change: ↓1.69% | Σ Increase: ↑0.22%)
  • Deaths: 570,260 (+906 [+1,063] | ΔW Change: ↓2.79% | Σ Increase: ↑0.19%)

4/7: <W>
  • Cases: 31,637,243 (+76,805 | ΔW Change: ↑9.91% | Σ Increase: ↑0.24%)
  • Deaths: 572,849 (+873 [+2,589] | ΔW Change: ↓21.91% | Σ Increase: ↑0.45%)

4/8: <̃>
  • Cases: 31,717,404 (+75,183 [+80,161] | ΔW Change: ↓3.97% | Σ Increase: ↑0.25%)
  • Deaths: 573,856 (+872 [+1,007] | ΔW Change: ↓8.40% | Σ Increase: ↑0.18%)

4/9: <F>
  • Cases: 31,802,772 (+85,368 | ΔW Change: ↑21.98% | Σ Increase: ↑0.27%)
  • Deaths: 574,840 (+984 | ΔW Change: ↓1.50% | Σ Increase: ↑0.17%)

4/10: <S>
  • Cases: 31,869,980 (+67,208 | ΔW Change: ↓0.60% | Σ Increase: ↑0.21%)
  • Deaths: 575,593 (+753 | ΔW Change: ↓5.04% | Σ Increase: ↑0.13%)

4/11 (Last Sunday Holiday): <Sunday>
  • Cases: 31,918,591 (+48,611 | ΔW Change: ↑27.50% | Σ Increase: ↑0.15%)
  • Deaths: 575,829 (+293 | ΔW Change: ↑5.40% | Σ Increase: ↑0.04%)

4/12: <M>
  • Cases: 31,990,143 (+56,522 [+71,552] | ΔW Change: ↑12.31% | Σ Increase: ↑0.22%)
  • Deaths: 576,298 (+469 | ΔW Change: ↑11.67% | Σ Increase: ↑0.08%)

4/13: <T>
  • Cases: 32,070,784 (+77,720 [+80,641] | ΔW Change: ↑24.79% | Σ Increase: ↑0.25%)
  • Deaths: 577,179 (+819 [+881] | ΔW Change: ↓9.60% | Σ Increase: ↑0.15%)

4/14: <W>
  • Cases: 32,149,223 (+78,439 | ΔW Change: ↑2.13% | Σ Increase: ↑0.24%)
  • Deaths: 578,092 (+913 | ΔW Change: ↑4.58% | Σ Increase: ↑0.16%)

4/15: <̃>
  • Cases: 32,224,139 (+74,916 | ΔW Change: ↓0.36% | Σ Increase: ↑0.23%)
  • Deaths: 578,993 (+901 | ΔW Change: ↑3.33% | Σ Increase: ↑0.16%)

4/16 (Yesterday): <F>
  • Cases: 32,305,912 (+81,773 | ΔW Change: ↓4.21% | Σ Increase: ↑0.25%)
  • Deaths: 579,942 (+887 [+949] | ΔW Change: ↓9.86% | Σ Increase: ↑0.16%)

4/17 (Today): <S>
  • Cases: 32,372,119 (+63,581 [+66,207] | ΔW Change: ↓5.40% | Σ Increase: ↑0.20%)
  • Deaths: 580,756 (+738 [+814] | ΔW Change: ↓1.99% | Σ Increase: ↑0.14%)
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #3648 on: April 18, 2021, 04:29:16 AM »

Is there an actual breakdown of variants for now positive tested patients? How dominant is the UK variant? It basically replaced the so called wildtype in Europe within just two months. At least vaccines aren't considerably less effective with this one and the South African one.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #3649 on: April 18, 2021, 04:51:01 AM »

Is there an actual breakdown of variants for now positive tested patients? How dominant is the UK variant? It basically replaced the so called wildtype in Europe within just two months. At least vaccines aren't considerably less effective with this one and the South African one.

From what I've heard, it might actually be a good thing that the UK variant is taking hold. While it is more infectious and lethal than the original strain, it might actually be pushing out the more problematic and lethal Brazil and South Africa variants.

Looking at the areas of high infection rates, I'm still concerned over Brazil. I also think India could be a big problem. The more the virus is allowed to propagate the more likely it is that we're going to run into a variant that isn't covered by vaccines. This isn't rocket science. All vaccine efforts have focuses on the spike protein. I'm worried about that mutating into something that could evade all current vaccines.

But hey, we have a bunch of whiny 2 year olds that only care about themselves. Let's keep risking a serious viral mutation that could render all our vaccine efforts moot just because some people want to drink in a bar.
Pages: 1 ... 141 142 143 144 145 [146] 147 148 149 150 151 ... 456  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies