COVID-19 Megathread 6: Return of the Omicron
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 07:41:09 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  COVID-19 Megathread 6: Return of the Omicron
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 94 95 96 97 98 [99] 100 101 102 103 104 ... 456
Poll
Question: ?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 115

Author Topic: COVID-19 Megathread 6: Return of the Omicron  (Read 532919 times)
emailking
Atlas Icon
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2450 on: January 30, 2021, 02:18:48 PM »

Has it been discussed why this virus is mutating to become worse than it was before, when most viruses generally mutate to be less severe?

Depends what you mean by worse. It appears to be either only slightly more lethal or no change in lethality. But it's more contagious which is good for the virus.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #2451 on: January 30, 2021, 03:53:10 PM »

In the 3rd wave which is monstrous, it looks like it is actually winter making it much worse. COVID-19 prefers the low humidity present in the cold environments of the northern hemisphere. People with low vitamin D also appear to suffer more.

That's something I see pop up from time to time. There definitely does seem to be evidence that Vitamin D deficiency worsens one's prognosis, including higher risk of serious illness and death. I really wish healthcare professionals were pushing that line more. Vitamin D deficiency is very common across the population, especially for those with darker skin. Everyone should probably be taking a daily Vitamin D supplement, just 1000-2000 IU. (To be honest, a lot of people should probably be doing that anyway, regardless of the coronavirus.) That's generally enough for most people to build up and maintain sufficiency. And at that dose, there's basically no downside. It's not a miracle cure or a vaccine, but it definitely is a strong tool in our toolkit to combat the virus.

Has it been discussed why this virus is mutating to become worse than it was before, when most viruses generally mutate to be less severe?
Depends what you mean by worse. It appears to be either only slightly more lethal or no change in lethality. But it's more contagious which is good for the virus.

It was my understanding that there's some concern about increased lethality for younger adults with the South African variant. Also, for other reasons, that's the variant that concerns me the most. (The  Brazil variant seems to be very concerning in a similar vein too, but it's not quite as understood yet.)

I don't think masks are going away anytime this year. And if SARS-CoV-2 becomes endemic (as is expected now) like the cold and flu, it's quite likely mask-wearing will become the cultural norm, especially and particularly during flare-ups. That doesn't mean shutdowns. It just means wear your mask, wash your hands, and use common sense. The rest of the world is going to have to take a page from Asian countries on that one. That's not a bad thing though.
VAR
VARepublican
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2452 on: January 30, 2021, 04:00:45 PM »

brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #2453 on: January 30, 2021, 04:04:33 PM »

I don't think masks are going away anytime this year. And if SARS-CoV-2 becomes endemic (as is expected now) like the cold and flu, it's quite likely mask-wearing will become the cultural norm, especially and particularly during flare-ups. That doesn't mean shutdowns. It just means wear your mask, wash your hands, and use common sense. The rest of the world is going to have to take a page from Asian countries on that one. That's not a bad thing though.

Maybe they'll still be required in places like airports, congregate care facilities, doctor's offices, & the like, but even though mask-wearing would obviously still be beneficial in such a circumstance from a public health perspective, it's naive to believe that peer pressure & ridicule won't kill masks - at least here in the U.S. - as soon as the general public has gotten their vaccine & they feel safe once again. Remember: if the irresponsible didn't care about it during the pandemic, then they sure as hell won't be caring about it after either.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #2454 on: January 30, 2021, 04:29:31 PM »

Maybe they'll still be required in places like airports, congregate care facilities, doctor's offices, & the like, but even though mask-wearing would obviously still be beneficial in such a circumstance from a public health perspective, it's naive to believe that peer pressure & ridicule won't kill masks - at least here in the U.S. - as soon as the general public has gotten their vaccine & they feel safe once again. Remember: if the irresponsible didn't care about it during the pandemic, then they sure as hell won't be caring about it after either.

I would hope you're wrong about that. Maybe I am naïve, but I can't remember the last time I've seen someone in public without a mask. These mandates have been in place for a long time now in most places. It's really one of the easiest parts of dealing with this too. Vaccines aren't going to return us to where we were before the pandemic. As I said, if it becomes endemic as many believe, maybe mask-wearing in public will have to return during certain flare-ups like during winter. It also has the added bonus of generally protecting people from the cold and flu as well.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #2455 on: January 30, 2021, 04:40:31 PM »

I would hope you're wrong about that. Maybe I am naïve, but I can't remember the last time I've seen someone in public without a mask. These mandates have been in place for a long time now in most places. It's really one of the easiest parts of dealing with this too. Vaccines aren't going to return us to where we were before the pandemic. As I said, if it becomes endemic as many believe, maybe mask-wearing in public will have to return during certain flare-ups like during winter. It also has the added bonus of generally protecting people from the cold and flu as well.

Try living in a (non-Atlas) red state.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #2456 on: January 30, 2021, 04:48:14 PM »

Or even a purple one.  I went to the grocery store this morning and there were three people shopping without masks, despite the big MASKS REQUIRED sign at the entrance.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2457 on: January 30, 2021, 05:18:20 PM »

I'm in a conservative area of a liberal state and haven't seen somebody in a store without a mask since April. The Walmart here though (but only there) had people standing at the entrance making sure you were masked, for months. So maybe people just decided to go with it.
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #2458 on: January 30, 2021, 06:36:08 PM »

Or even a purple one.  I went to the grocery store this morning and there were three people shopping without masks, despite the big MASKS REQUIRED sign at the entrance.

In north GA...I personally know more than one person who flat out refuses to wear masks, even if stores require them.

Most of the stores that "require" them won't enforce their own rules, so the idiots get away with it.  From my understanding, Publix, Kroger, and Walmart (three of the largest grocery and superstores in the area) won't ask maskless customers to leave.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #2459 on: January 30, 2021, 07:48:59 PM »

The number of currently hospitalized in the U.S. just crashed below 100,000. It's down to 97,561.
MATTROSE94
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -6.43

P P P
« Reply #2460 on: January 30, 2021, 08:17:50 PM »

The number of currently hospitalized in the U.S. just crashed below 100,000. It's down to 97,561.
That the lowest since November. Hopefully we can get it down to below 10,000 or 25,000.
MATTROSE94
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #2461 on: January 30, 2021, 08:21:24 PM »

In north GA...I personally know more than one person who flat out refuses to wear masks, even if stores require them.

Most of the stores that "require" them won't enforce their own rules, so the idiots get away with it.  From my understanding, Publix, Kroger, and Walmart (three of the largest grocery and superstores in the area) won't ask maskless customers to leave.
The last maskless person I ever saw was at my local Walmart on December 26. It was a middle age Hispanic guy who was wearing a MAGA hat and a “Stop the Steal” t-shirt.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #2462 on: January 31, 2021, 01:29:13 AM »

The updated numbers for COVID-19 in the U.S. are in for 1/30 per: https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

I'm keeping track of these updates daily and updating at the end of the day, whenever all states finish reporting for that day.

ΔW Change: Comparisons of Weekly Day-to-day Growth or Decline of COVID-19 Spread/Deaths.
  • IE: Comparing the numbers to the same day of last week, are we flattening the curve enough?

Σ Increase: A day's contribution to overall percentage growth of COVID-19 cases/deaths.
  • IE: What's the overall change in the total?

Older Numbers (Hidden in spoiler mode to make the post more compact)
Spoiler alert! Click Show to show the content.

1/17: <Sunday>
  • Cases: 24,482,050 (+176,007 | ΔW Change: ↓19.04% | Σ Increase: ↑0.72%)
  • Deaths: 407,202 (+1,941 | ΔW Change: ↑8.13% | Σ Increase: ↑0.48%)

1/18: <M>
  • Cases: 24,626,376 (+144,326 | ΔW Change: ↓36.10% | Σ Increase: ↑0.59%)
  • Deaths: 408,620 (+1,418 | ΔW Change: ↓28.17% | Σ Increase: ↑0.35%)

1/19: <T>
  • Cases: 24,806,964 (+180,588 | ΔW Change: ↓19.75% | Σ Increase: ↑0.73%)
  • Deaths: 411,486 (+2,866 | ΔW Change: ↓34.11% | Σ Increase: ↑0.70%)

1/20: <W>
  • Cases: 24,998,975 (+192,011 | ΔW Change: ↓22.61% | Σ Increase: ↑0.77%)
  • Deaths: 415,894 (+4,408 | ΔW Change: ↑1.82% | Σ Increase: ↑1.07%)

1/21: <Þ>
  • Cases: 25,196,086 (+197,111 | ΔW Change: ↓15.06% | Σ Increase: ↑0.79%)
  • Deaths: 420,285 (+4,391 | ΔW Change: ↑7.99% | Σ Increase: ↑1.06%)

1/22: <F>
  • Cases: 25,390,042 (+193,956 | ΔW Change: ↓23.65% | Σ Increase: ↑0.77%)
  • Deaths: 424,177 (+3,892 | ΔW Change: ↑0.78% | Σ Increase: ↑0.93%)

1/23: <S>
  • Cases: 25,566,789 (+176,747 | ΔW Change: ↓13.20% | Σ Increase: ↑0.82%)
  • Deaths: 427,635 (+3,458 | ΔW Change: ↑1.56% | Σ Increase: ↑0.82%)

1/24: <Sunday>
  • Cases: 25,702,125 (+135,336 | ΔW Change: ↓23.11% | Σ Increase: ↑0.53%)
  • Deaths: 429,490 (+1,855 | ΔW Change: ↓4.43% | Σ Increase: ↑0.43%)

1/25: <M>
  • Cases: 25,861,597 (+159,472 | ΔW Change: ↑10.49% | Σ Increase: ↑0.62%)
  • Deaths: 431,392 (+1,902 | ΔW Change: ↑34.13% | Σ Increase: ↑0.44%)

1/26: <T>
  • Cases: 26,011,222 (+149,625 | ΔW Change: ↓17.15% | Σ Increase: ↑0.58%)
  • Deaths: 435,452 (+4,060 | ΔW Change: ↑41.66% | Σ Increase: ↑0.94%)

1/27: <W>
  • Cases: 26,166,201 (+154,979 | ΔW Change: ↓19.29% | Σ Increase: ↑0.60%)
  • Deaths: 439,517 (+4,065 | ΔW Change: ↓7.78% | Σ Increase: ↑0.93%)

1/28: <Þ>
  • Cases: 26,338,607 (+172,406 | ΔW Change: ↓12.53% | Σ Increase: ↑0.66%)
  • Deaths: 443,769 (+4,252 | ΔW Change: ↓3.17% | Σ Increase: ↑0.97%)

1/29 (Yesterday): <F>
  • Cases: 26,512,193 (+173,586 | ΔW Change: ↓10.50% | Σ Increase: ↑0.66%)
  • Deaths: 447,459 (+3,690 | ΔW Change: ↓5.19% | Σ Increase: ↑0.83%)

1/30 (Today): <S>
  • Cases: 26,665,740 (+153,547 | ΔW Change: ↓13.13% | Σ Increase: ↑0.58%)
  • Deaths: 450,381 (+2,922 | ΔW Change: ↓15.50% | Σ Increase: ↑0.65%)
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2463 on: January 31, 2021, 02:40:10 AM »

From what I understand, one of the factors in severe COVID is viral load. The more contagious strains are increasing the viral load that's being expelled, which means the virus is not necessarily worse in itself, but being exposed to a higher load is simply more likely with more virus in the air.
Thunder98
United States

P P P
« Reply #2464 on: January 31, 2021, 01:07:28 PM »

That is exactly what's starting to happen....

Anti-vaxxers are going to be the next big terrorism threat, just watch in a few years. Also agree:

https://ktla.com/news/local-news/dodger-stadium-mass-coronavirus-vaccination-site-shut-down-after-protesters-block-entrance/

emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2465 on: January 31, 2021, 02:00:05 PM »

That is so bizarre. Like if you don't want the vaccine, ok don't get it. But don't stop others from getting it if they want it. Huh
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2466 on: January 31, 2021, 02:17:37 PM »

Anti-vaxxers are going to be the next big terrorism threat, just watch in a few years. Also agree:

https://ktla.com/news/local-news/dodger-stadium-mass-coronavirus-vaccination-site-shut-down-after-protesters-block-entrance/

Where the hell are the police.
These people need to be removed quickly from blocking the road. Throw them in jail.
A**holes.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2467 on: January 31, 2021, 04:00:07 PM »

Where the hell are the police.
These people need to be removed quickly from blocking the road. Throw them in jail.
A**holes.

You mean rioters.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #2468 on: January 31, 2021, 08:52:41 PM »
« Edited: February 02, 2021, 12:30:18 AM by Arch »

The updated numbers for COVID-19 in the U.S. are in for 1/31 per: https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

I'm keeping track of these updates daily and updating at the end of the day, whenever all states finish reporting for that day.

ΔW Change: Comparisons of Weekly Day-to-day Growth or Decline of COVID-19 Spread/Deaths.
  • IE: Comparing the numbers to the same day of last week, are we flattening the curve enough?

Σ Increase: A day's contribution to overall percentage growth of COVID-19 cases/deaths.

1/29: <F>

1/30 (Yesterday): <S>

1/31 (Today): <Sunday>
  • Cases: 26,767,229 (+101,489 | ΔW Change: ↓25.01% | Σ Increase: ↑0.38%)
  • Deaths: 452,279 (+1,898 | ΔW Change: ↑2.32% | Σ Increase: ↑0.42%)
MATTROSE94
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #2469 on: January 31, 2021, 09:05:58 PM »

The updated numbers for COVID-19 in the U.S. are in for 1/30 per: https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

101,489 is probably the lowest number of cases since October. I fear it is the calm before the storm however, and feel that case might jump to 100 times that in a few weeks once the new variants and reinfections increase.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #2470 on: January 31, 2021, 09:10:20 PM »

101,489 is probably the lowest number of cases since October. I fear it is the calm before the storm however, and feel that case might jump to 100 times that in a few weeks once the new variants and reinfections increase.

I certainly believe that there may be another spike, but thinking that it might reach anything like 10 million cases a day (100 times 100,000) is way beyond absurd.  You may wish to look into meditation or other calming techniques.
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2471 on: January 31, 2021, 09:17:05 PM »
« Edited: January 31, 2021, 10:25:53 PM by Roll Roons »

I certainly believe that there may be another spike, but thinking that it might reach anything like 10 million cases a day (100 times 100,000) is way beyond absurd.  You may wish to look into meditation or other calming techniques.

He's a troll. If there is another spike, it will certainly not be nearly as bad as the recent one. Considering the vaccine rollout, I'm doubtful there'll be one at all.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2472 on: January 31, 2021, 11:02:09 PM »
« Edited: January 31, 2021, 11:07:09 PM by Remember the Capitol »

Jared Polis decided to push teachers ahead of all other essential workers and high risk people.
This is clearly a political move and I highly suspect he was paid off by the unions.

Of course, I doubt any NIMBY liberal actually would care about the thousands of minority/low-income grocery/factory workers in much higher risk conditions than these pathetic teachers who cry foul every time something goes slightly wrong and who literally push all the desks far away from them into the back and build “barricades” to prevent exposure. (True story in one of my classes, I guess us stupid students don’t matter but the person who already is well protected and putting the rest of us at higher risk for her own gain does)
I am so glad I voted against school district tax increases out of Covid principle and I will do so until some things change with leadership.

Also in genius Jared’s plan, hypertension is not considered a high risk condition at all. Never mind the studies, damn the CDC, Polis clearly is smarter than the rest of us stupid mortals.
Of course, being a political staffer of his is a high risk condition of the highest degree.

It is all a game to this corrupt, lolbertarian buffoon who only wants to raise his chances at winning another term so he can further screw our state. Its not about Colorado, it’s about Polis.
He has nothing to offer, so he hides behind the (D) next to his name on the ballot and talks about marijuana once in a while.

We are one of the only states to push all other groups towards the back, to kowtow to corrupt rich school district unions (I am sorry, the CCEA is the worst and should be broken up) and to ignore conditions randomly. I’m guessing our state health department also sucks...but that isn’t surprising.

Cuomo gets a lot of flack for good reason, but let’s not forget there are plenty of stupid governors in this land.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2473 on: February 01, 2021, 07:12:04 AM »

Maybe flu particles are more transmissible than Covid particles ... what other reason would there be that the flu has perished other than masks and social distancing ?

Also, there's a lot of people who simply don't practice masks and social distancing. Social distancing couldn't have wiped out the flu when people just don't practice it anymore.

I recognized the flu as particularly dangerous because it would cause one to be sent to the hospital where COVID-19 would be lurking. People took flu shots more seriously.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2474 on: February 01, 2021, 09:36:10 PM »
« Edited: February 01, 2021, 09:42:16 PM by Virginiá »

Just some cool COVID anime

Pages: 1 ... 94 95 96 97 98 [99] 100 101 102 103 104 ... 456