COVID-19 Megathread 6: Return of the Omicron
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 12:54:29 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  COVID-19 Megathread 6: Return of the Omicron
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 195 196 197 198 199 [200] 201 202 203 204 205 ... 456
Poll
Question: ?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 115

Author Topic: COVID-19 Megathread 6: Return of the Omicron  (Read 541655 times)
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4975 on: July 14, 2021, 09:38:06 AM »

Top vaccinated counties as a % of total population, per the NYT tracker.

McKinley, NM 88%
Dukes, MA 85%
Bristol Bay, AK 84%
Nantucket, MA 82%
San Juan, CO 78%
Santa Cruz, AZ 76%
Hamilton, NY 74%
Martin, NC 74%
Marin, CA 72%
Teton, WY 72%
Cumberland, ME 70%
Leelanau, MI 70%
Presidio, TX 70%
San Juan, WA 70%

The NYT tracker is missing county data for VT, GA, VA, WV, HI, and a couple counties in CA. I was able to get VA data, but none made the list. VT only publishes data for % of eligible population, and just eyeballing it, there are probably some counties in VT that would make the list, but I can't say for certain.

And least vaccinated:

McPherson, NE 9%
McPherson, SD 9%
Slope, ND 9%
Miller, AR 9%
Arthur, NE 13%
Cameron, LA 13%
Grant, NE 13%
Harding, SD 13%
King, TX 13%
Logan, NE 13%
Gaines, TX 14%
Holmes, OH 14%
McCone, MT 14%
Winston, AL 14%

Although a note of caution about this list, I've noticed some counties just take a while to update their statistics. Some of the MA counties in the top list would have made this list just a few weeks ago because of delays in updating their numbers.

Personally, I'm a big fan of the fact that there are two "San Juan" Counties in one list and two "McPherson" counties in the other. That feels statistically significant.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4976 on: July 14, 2021, 09:46:59 AM »

I am going to visit relatives in Alabama (my mother is from Alabama) and many of them are anti-vaxxers.

Which precautions should I take?

If you're fully vaccinated, you have absolutely nothing to worry about.

I mean, the vaccine is not 100% effective and is less effective against certain variations (i.e. Delta).

Wow, you're really f**king stupid.

It's like some people want the pandemic to continue forever.

Taking precautions is not the same thing as wanting the pandemic to continue forever.

People can and should take precautions but there should be no governmental mandates at this time and certainly never ever any business or school shut downs again. Never!

We are largely vaccinated population with a minority of clowns refusing it. We shall not let them control us!
Bro...
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4977 on: July 14, 2021, 10:59:00 AM »

I am going to visit relatives in Alabama (my mother is from Alabama) and many of them are anti-vaxxers.

Which precautions should I take?

If you're fully vaccinated, you have absolutely nothing to worry about.

I mean, the vaccine is not 100% effective and is less effective against certain variations (i.e. Delta).

Wow, you're really f**king stupid.

It's like some people want the pandemic to continue forever.

Taking precautions is not the same thing as wanting the pandemic to continue forever.

People can and should take precautions but there should be no governmental mandates at this time and certainly never ever any business or school shut downs again. Never!

We are largely vaccinated population with a minority of clowns refusing it. We shall not let them control us!
Bro...

He's right. If you're too stupid to get vaccinated by now, you deserve what you get.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #4978 on: July 14, 2021, 11:40:37 AM »

We can't hold up society for those who won't get vaccinated, but nobody deserves COVID.

They should not be surprised if they get it of course.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4979 on: July 14, 2021, 12:39:09 PM »

Fox and these other right-wing networks are literally killing people.
All for ratings.
Disgusting.
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4980 on: July 14, 2021, 12:44:35 PM »

screaming that vaccinated people still have to take all the same precautions and pausing johnson and johnson vaccine over the silliest possible reason did not help in achieving a universally vaccinated population.

But a message, not a requirement, that advises correctly worn masks in crowded venues this upcoming winter is completely different than "pausing" a vaccine for a blood clot that has far less liklihood than contracting covid 19.

I also hate to say this  but with the way delta variant is spreading it will likely hit anyone who has not been vaccinated or infected previously hard before the winter.
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4981 on: July 14, 2021, 12:58:35 PM »

https://twitter.com/BostonGlobe/status/1414979356263387144

and I will be clear:

I. Do. Not. Care.

Weighing costs and benefits to children and society. We must have schools open.

It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4982 on: July 14, 2021, 01:03:47 PM »

OH MY GOD WHO THE LITERAL F[in]K IS TALKING ABOUT CLOSING DOWN BUSINESSES!?!?!?!?!? LITERALLY WHO, JIMMIE?Huh?

And don’t find some stupid random tweet and use that as proof that the big government wants to shut everything down again. I swear to god, you are conspiratorial at this point. Literally nobody wants to close things down (or nobody important) The very most you have is people wanting the unvaccinated to have to wear masks, that doesn’t affect you so literally stop.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4983 on: July 14, 2021, 04:04:21 PM »
« Edited: July 14, 2021, 04:24:47 PM by Hammy »

Does anybody have a formula to figure out the statistical risk reduction for vaccinated vs unvaccinated, using the percentage of vax/un-vax cases against the percentage of population that's vaccinated and isn't? I'm trying to find some quick formula I can just plug the numbers into.

OH MY GOD WHO THE LITERAL F[in]K IS TALKING ABOUT CLOSING DOWN BUSINESSES!?!?!?!?!? LITERALLY WHO, JIMMIE?Huh?

And don’t find some stupid random tweet and use that as proof that the big government wants to shut everything down again. I swear to god, you are conspiratorial at this point. Literally nobody wants to close things down (or nobody important) The very most you have is people wanting the unvaccinated to have to wear masks, that doesn’t affect you so literally stop.

He's made it clear he doesn't care what happens to anyone, doesn't care about facts, he just wants to bury his head in the sand and pretend the pandemic is over, and wants everyone else to do the same. He even screeched about wanting testing ended and seems triggered by anyone even taking the slightest precautions.

(edited to add question)

Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4984 on: July 14, 2021, 04:33:21 PM »

He's made it clear he doesn't care what happens to anyone, doesn't care about facts, he just wants to bury his head in the sand and pretend the pandemic is over, and wants everyone else to do the same. He even screeched about wanting testing ended and seems triggered by anyone even taking the slightest precautions.

If you're vaccinated, the pandemic is over.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4985 on: July 14, 2021, 04:48:25 PM »

So you're both claiming that it's impossible for somebody who is vaccinated to get COVID (despite the findings), that it's impossible for worse variants to arise thanks to the people who refuse to vaccinate, and denying the long term debilitating health effects that are affecting people who are too young to vaccinate? I like how we're all collectively ignoring that this is literally SARS.

Good to know you're about as credible as Trumpists.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4986 on: July 14, 2021, 04:50:48 PM »

So you're both claiming that it's impossible for somebody who is vaccinated to get COVID (despite the findings), that it's impossible for worse variants to arise thanks to the people who refuse to vaccinate, and denying the long term debilitating health effects that are affecting people who are too young to vaccinate?

1. Hospitalizations among the vaccinated are virtually zero which is what matters.

2. A deadly flu variant could also suddenly pop up tomorrow, we aren't shutting society down for that possibility.

3. As has been explained over 5 times now, COVID is not a threat to children.

Take your anti vaxxer nonsense off this thread. Garbage like that should result in a permaban.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4987 on: July 14, 2021, 05:20:11 PM »
« Edited: July 14, 2021, 05:25:28 PM by Hammy »

So you're both claiming that it's impossible for somebody who is vaccinated to get COVID (despite the findings), that it's impossible for worse variants to arise thanks to the people who refuse to vaccinate, and denying the long term debilitating health effects that are affecting people who are too young to vaccinate?

1. Hospitalizations among the vaccinated are virtually zero which is what matters.

2. A deadly flu variant could also suddenly pop up tomorrow, we aren't shutting society down for that possibility.

3. As has been explained over 5 times now, COVID is not a threat to children.

Take your anti vaxxer nonsense off this thread. Garbage like that should result in a permaban.

1. I am not denying this

2. People like you and Jimmie are giving me the impression pandemic denialism is a legitimate mental illness considering literally nobody is arguing for a shutdown.

3. A lie will not become fact just because you say it enough: https://www.cnn.com/2021/07/14/health/us-coronavirus-wednesday/index.html

up to 30% of children infected will develop long-haul Covid-19.]up to 30% of children infected will develop long-haul Covid-19.

Some studies have shown impacts on the brain of people who have been infected with the virus. One study in April found 34% of Covid-19 survivors received a diagnosis for a neurological or psychological condition within six months of their infection.]Some studies have shown impacts on the brain of people who have been infected with the virus. One study in April found 34% of Covid-19 survivors received a diagnosis for a neurological or psychological condition within six months of their infection.

That you are calling me an antivaxxer (especially as I've advocated that enough doses of a vaccine should be provided as it's shown are needed, and mandating it) and calling for a ban further tells me that you are terrified of the truth that this is still going on, and like Jimmie, are trying to bury your head in the sand and drown out reality, same as Trumpists, and just as much a danger to this country as the people who refuse to vaccinate.

pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4988 on: July 14, 2021, 06:09:53 PM »

All for ratings.
Disgusting.

The problem is that these outlets have dedicated viewers who reject news from other sources. You would think that people would show some responsibility on issues of life and death when the divide between life and death is that people who die do not get vaccinated for COVID-19. It's even more blatant than the case connecting smoking and lung cancer. (People can get lung cancer from causes other than tobacco, and can get lung cancer from the smoking of others. It is obviously a good idea to not use tobacco products).

There is less cause for controversy on COVID-19 than there is on the connection between tobacco and various cancers or between drunk driving and vehicular slaughter.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #4989 on: July 14, 2021, 06:22:47 PM »

Wow.

America deserves to to fade away.  About half the country, led by the Republican Party, keeps ruining everything.

Balkanization honestly might be for the best. I would just hope that there's some way to get the rational people out of the future Republican nation.

Olivia Rodrigo to meet with Biden, Fauci to promote vaccines

Teen pop sensation Olivia Rodrigo will visit the White House Wednesday as part of the administration’s effort to promote vaccinations to young Americans.

According to a White House official, the 18-year-old former Disney Channel star will meet with President Biden and Dr. Anthony Fauci to film videos stressing why it's important for young people to be vaccinated, incorporating a question-and-answer format.

Rodrigo, known for her meteoric rise on the teen pop scene with music detailing heartbreak and empowerment, boasts an expansive following, particularly with members of Gen Z. The videos will be featured on her social platforms, which are followed by over 28 million people, as well as the various White House social media channels.

https://news.yahoo.com/olivia-rodrigo-to-meet-with-biden-fauci-to-promote-vaccines-191435446.html

This likely won't make a difference. Democrats always tout their celebrity allies and they never seem to have the influence that is hoped for. I sort of get it though. The GOP is very receptive to celebrity worship, so why shouldn't it also work on others?
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4990 on: July 14, 2021, 06:29:31 PM »

All for ratings.
Disgusting.

The problem is that these outlets have dedicated viewers who reject news from other sources. You would think that people would show some responsibility on issues of life and death when the divide between life and death is that people who die do not get vaccinated for COVID-19. It's even more blatant than the case connecting smoking and lung cancer. (People can get lung cancer from causes other than tobacco, and can get lung cancer from the smoking of others. It is obviously a good idea to not use tobacco products).

There is less cause for controversy on COVID-19 than there is on the connection between tobacco and various cancers or between drunk driving and vehicular slaughter.

It's almost like these people want this to go on as long as possible. It's both amazing and disturbing how completely mainstream the war against reality has become.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #4991 on: July 14, 2021, 07:06:31 PM »

People are still getting sick and dying both here and across the globe despite my vaccination status.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4992 on: July 14, 2021, 07:11:43 PM »

People are still getting sick and dying both here and across the globe despite my vaccination status.

I never claimed the pandemic was over for those people.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4993 on: July 14, 2021, 07:30:13 PM »

I never claimed the pandemic was over for those people.

You did however make several other false claims regarding what people say.

I will lay it bare, since the anti-reality brain rot has spread to green and red avatars: my stance at this point is the spread of covid needs stopped--the only way to do this is mandating vaccines, and locking up anyone who refuses to get vaccinated (be it house arrest or isolation cells) until herd immunity is reached.

And any comparison with the flu (it is very literally SARS) or claims we need to stop testing entirely just to hide the covid numbers is both intellectually dishonest and hypocritical as it's coming from the very people who criticized Trump for said comparison.

Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #4994 on: July 14, 2021, 08:20:04 PM »

My daughter is going to turn 2 years old in a couple months, and I’m starting to really dread it. 

A lot of places (like airplanes, etc.) require masks for anyone over 2, and I have no idea how I am going to get my daughter to wear a mask. 

I certainly can’t explain to her why she she needs to wear it.  She is not even old enough to be able to follow instructions.  If you try to put a hat on her, she will always remove it within a few seconds.  It’s hard to even get her to keep her shoes on.  Does anyone have experience with this age and mask-wearing?
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #4995 on: July 14, 2021, 08:30:31 PM »

Well the airline mask mandate ends Sept 13, although it's possible it could get extended again I suppose.

I saw a video of a family getting kicked off a flight because they couldn't get their 2 year old to wear a mask, and the attendants would not accept them holding the mask over her face. I didn't think that was right. This was like a year ago.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #4996 on: July 14, 2021, 09:00:42 PM »

The updated numbers for COVID-19 in the U.S. are in for 7/8-7/14/2021 per: https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

From March 2020 to mid-July 2021, I kept track of COVID-19 numbers daily. Now that there's a light at the end of the tunnel and states are staggering their daily updates, I am switching to a mid-week to mid-week model (Thursday to Wednesday).

Wednesdays are ideal for weekly updates since holidays don't usually fall in the middle of the week, and most states would have reported some update by that day each week.

New Legend:

Δ Change: Comparisons of Weekly Growth or Decline of COVID-19 Spread/Deaths

Σ Increase: A week's contribution to overall percentage growth of COVID-19 cases/deaths.
  • IE:What's the overall change in the total?

You may access the archive of daily reports below, with the last daily update at the end, which was on 7/6/2021

Day-to-Day Archive from 3/26/2020-7/6/2021
(Hidden in spoiler mode to make the post more compact)

Spoiler alert! Click Show to show the content.

6/16-6/22: <Baseline Week>
  • Cases: 34,433,696
  • Deaths: 617,864

6/23-6/30:
  • Cases: 34,544,094 (+110,398 | Σ Increase: ↑0.32%)
  • Deaths: 620,237 (+2,373 | Σ Increase: ↑0.38%)

7/1-7/7: <Last Week>
  • Cases: 34,641,189 (+97,095 | ΔW Change: ↓12.05% | Σ Increase: ↑0.28%)
  • Deaths: 621,851 (+1,614 | ΔW Change: ↓31.98% | Σ Increase: ↑0.26%)

7/8-7/14: <This Week>
  • Cases: 34,848,068 (+206,879 | ΔW Change: ↑113.07% | Σ Increase: ↑0.60%)
  • Deaths: 623,838 (+1,987 | ΔW Change: ↑23.11% | Σ Increase: ↑0.32%)
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4997 on: July 15, 2021, 01:11:42 AM »

jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4998 on: July 15, 2021, 06:32:11 AM »

What exactly do yall want in regards to mitigation measures?
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #4999 on: July 15, 2021, 11:31:28 AM »

What exactly do yall want in regards to mitigation measures?

I would like us to actually enforce mask mandates for unvaccinated adults.
Pages: 1 ... 195 196 197 198 199 [200] 201 202 203 204 205 ... 456  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies