COVID-19 Megathread 6: Return of the Omicron
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 27, 2024, 05:22:10 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  COVID-19 Megathread 6: Return of the Omicron
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 255 256 257 258 259 [260] 261 262 263 264 265 ... 456
Poll
Question: ?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 115

Author Topic: COVID-19 Megathread 6: Return of the Omicron  (Read 549209 times)
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6475 on: August 25, 2021, 07:37:53 PM »

... and have trump tout it at rallies, and advertise it like mad via FOX and OAN.
Smiley
CEO Mindset
penttilinkolafan
« Reply #6476 on: August 25, 2021, 07:48:56 PM »

maybe people should try losing a bit of weight, eating better in general, getting more sun, eating garlic or other stuff to boost their immune system to try preventing getting covid instead of stuff that's iffy at best like getting the [color=#ffffff]clot shot[/color] or wearing leather dog masks(cloth masks and n95s aren't enough, guys. its the cdc who makes the recommendations not me) or standing six feet apart

What does this even mean
look into the health risks of getting the covid-19 shot, especially the j&j one

I thought you said you were vaccinated.
yes i am but the recent hysterial push plus insane talk about boosters has me more skeptical on it
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6477 on: August 25, 2021, 07:50:45 PM »

F[inks]ing YIKES.

New York really just had an exorcism.

It should be noted that while Cuomo hadn't acknowledged the higher number. the CDC and Worldometer had been counting New York at the higher number for some time so it really doesn't mean that there will be an increase of 12000 in the death total tomorrow.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #6478 on: August 25, 2021, 07:51:51 PM »

The updated numbers for COVID-19 in the U.S. are in for 8/19-8/25/2021 per: https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

From March 2020 to mid-July 2021, I kept track of COVID-19 numbers daily. Now that there's a light at the end of the tunnel and states are staggering their daily updates, I am switching to a mid-week to mid-week model (Thursday to Wednesday).

Wednesdays are ideal for weekly updates since holidays don't usually fall in the middle of the week, and most states would have reported some update by that day each week.

New Legend:

Δ Change: Comparisons of Weekly Growth or Decline of COVID-19 Spread/Deaths

Σ Increase: A week's contribution to overall percentage growth of COVID-19 cases/deaths.
  • IE:What's the overall change in the total?

You may access the archive of daily reports below, with the last daily update at the end, which was on 7/6/2021

Day-to-Day Archive from 3/26/2020-7/6/2021
(Hidden in spoiler mode to make the post more compact)

Spoiler alert! Click Show to show the content.

6/16-6/22: <Baseline Week>
  • Cases: 34,433,696
  • Deaths: 617,864

6/23-6/30:
  • Cases: 34,544,094 (+110,398 | Σ Increase: ↑0.32%)
  • Deaths: 620,237 (+2,373 | Σ Increase: ↑0.38%)

7/1-7/7:
  • Cases: 34,641,189 (+97,095 | ΔW Change: ↓12.05% | Σ Increase: ↑0.28%)
  • Deaths: 621,851 (+1,614 | ΔW Change: ↓31.98% | Σ Increase: ↑0.26%)

7/8-7/14:
  • Cases: 34,848,068 (+206,879 | ΔW Change: ↑113.07% | Σ Increase: ↑0.60%)
  • Deaths: 623,838 (+1,987 | ΔW Change: ↑23.11% | Σ Increase: ↑0.32%)

7/15-7/21:
  • Cases: 35,146,476 (+298,408 | ΔW Change: ↑44.24% | Σ Increase: ↑0.86%)
  • Deaths: 625,808 (+1,970 | ΔW Change: ↓0.86% | Σ Increase: ↑0.32%)

7/22-7/28:
  • Cases: 35,487,348 (+340,872 | ΔW Change: ↑14.23% | Σ Increase: ↑0.97%)
  • Deaths: 628,098 (+2,290 | ΔW Change: ↑16.24% | Σ Increase: ↑0.37%)

7/29-8/4:
  • Cases: 36,176,471 (+689,123 | ΔW Change: ↑102.17% | Σ Increase: ↑1.94%)
  • Deaths: 631,299 (+3,201 | ΔW Change: ↑39.78% | Σ Increase: ↑0.51%)

8/5-8/11:
  • Cases: 37,027,466 (+850,995 | ΔW Change: ↑23.49% | Σ Increase: ↑2.35%)
  • Deaths: 635,629 (+4,330 | ΔW Change: ↑35.27% | Σ Increase: ↑0.69%)

8/12-8/18: <Last Week>
  • Cases: 38,072,249 (+1,044,783 | ΔW Change: ↑22.77% | Σ Increase: ↑2.82%)
  • Deaths: 641,338 (+5,709 | ΔW Change: ↑31.85% | Σ Increase: ↑0.90%)

8/19-8/25: <This Week>
  • Cases: 39,155,175 (+1,082,926 | ΔW Change: ↑3.65% | Σ Increase: ↑2.84%)
  • Deaths: 649,666 (+8,328 | ΔW Change: ↑45.87% | Σ Increase: ↑1.30%)
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6479 on: August 25, 2021, 07:52:10 PM »

maybe people should try losing a bit of weight, eating better in general, getting more sun, eating garlic or other stuff to boost their immune system to try preventing getting covid instead of stuff that's iffy at best like getting the [color=#ffffff]clot shot[/color] or wearing leather dog masks(cloth masks and n95s aren't enough, guys. its the cdc who makes the recommendations not me) or standing six feet apart

What does this even mean

yes i am but the recent hysterial push plus insane talk about boosters has me more skeptical on it

They made it clear from the start that if we kept getting new variants, that updates would be needed to the vaccines and boosters would be likely. The flu vaccine for example has to be changed every year.

No sane person thought or argued that the vaccine would give you permanent absolute immunity from all future variants, nor took the guidance as such.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6480 on: August 25, 2021, 07:55:35 PM »

It appears likely with Delta that the total Covid deaths under Biden will surpass the total Covid deaths under Trump before midterms. It's too bad because I think Biden has handled Covid fine for the most part, but you can't control the spread of a disease. Will be a piercing talking point.

Probably not, based on the CDC numbers, the number of COVID deaths thru Jan 20th would be about 460,000. 
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #6481 on: August 25, 2021, 08:01:36 PM »

What does this even mean

Are you saying you wish you hadn't gotten it?
CEO Mindset
penttilinkolafan
« Reply #6482 on: August 25, 2021, 08:04:17 PM »

What does this even mean

Are you saying you wish you hadn't gotten it?
given the insane messaging like claiming the vaccinated can supposedly still spread it as much/saying they need to wear masks it kind of comes off as being pointless... if it it doesn't reduce spread, what's even the point?

pretty sure i got covid back in january of last year so it's not like my immune system is new to it
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #6483 on: August 25, 2021, 08:08:29 PM »

given the insane messaging like claiming the vaccinated can supposedly still spread it as much/saying they need to wear masks it kind of comes off as being pointless... if it it doesn't reduce spread, what's even the point?

pretty sure i got covid back in january of last year so it's not like my immune system is new to it

But it clearly lessens the number of people who get it and get hospitalized. Losing weight, eating better, getting more sun, or eating garlic (Huh) aren't going to stop the spread of covid either.
CEO Mindset
penttilinkolafan
« Reply #6484 on: August 25, 2021, 08:12:41 PM »

nothing will stop the spread given it being a respiratory illness with animal vectors

better to just give up on covid entirely and go back to everything the way it was in 2019 minus firing a bunch of people who do work from home and letting them scramble to find new, lesser paying jobs
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #6485 on: August 25, 2021, 08:15:46 PM »

Tampa Bay will start treating tap water with bleach instead of liquid oxygen because the latter is needed for COVID patients:

Tampa Bay Water will temporarily change its water treatment process beginning Thursday, Aug. 26 at its Lithia Hydrogen Sulfide Removal Facility, due to a lack of liquid oxygen deliveries to the facility. Water provided to Hillsborough County Public Utilities customers will continue to meet all local, state, and federal regulations for drinking water.
Tampa Bay Water is changing the treatment to sodium hypochlorite, commonly known as bleach, at its Lithia Hydrogen Sulfide Removal Facility. The lack of deliveries of liquid oxygen is due to a delivery driver shortage caused by the COVID-19 coronavirus pandemic and the need for available supplies to be diverted to local hospitals.
Hillsborough County recommends that customers help preserve the region's drinking water by eliminating non-essential water uses, including watering lawns when it's raining, using pressure washers, and washing vehicles at home.

https://www.hillsboroughcounty.org/en/media-center/press-releases/2021/08/25/hillsborough-residents-may-experience-temporary-change-in-taste-and-odor-in-drinking-water
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #6486 on: August 25, 2021, 08:18:41 PM »

nothing will stop the spread given it being a respiratory illness with animal vectors

better to just give up on covid entirely and go back to everything the way it was in 2019 minus firing a bunch of people who do work from home and letting them scramble to find new, lesser paying jobs

I can't even tell how serious you're being. I mean that's kind of nutty. Fire everyone who was told they had to start working from home?

We could probably give up on it if everyone had just taken the vaccine.
Bleach Blonde Bad Built Butch Bodies for Biden
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #6487 on: August 25, 2021, 08:29:05 PM »

What does this even mean

Those are rare. I recommend against the J&J vaccine because it's not nearly as effective as the other ones, but literally any shot is more effective specifically against COVID than your generic health suggestions.

But I am increasingly of the belief that you are a troll, so maybe I shouldn't bother.
icemanj
Rookie
United States

« Reply #6488 on: August 25, 2021, 08:45:21 PM »

Indiana is gonna get hit hard. Maybe now, maybe in winter. We're at about the same vaccination rate as GA, SC, LA, TN, AL, and not increasing vax rate as much as those states did
CEO Mindset
penttilinkolafan
« Reply #6489 on: August 25, 2021, 08:47:22 PM »

I can't even tell how serious you're being. I mean that's kind of nutty. Fire everyone who was told they had to start working from home?

We could probably give up on it if everyone had just taken the vaccine.
the time to stop it was when it was in wuhan and nowhere else

people who think it's possible to stop after that, nevermind stopping it now are delusional
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6490 on: August 25, 2021, 09:50:34 PM »

'I think we already broke:' Mississippi's nurses are resigning to protect themselves from Covid-19 burnout.

... "It looks heroic," (Mississippi ICU nurse Nichole) Atherton, of Singing River Ocean Springs Hospital, told CNN. "But that's not what it is. It's sweaty and hard and chaotic and bloody. And it's hard to live in this every day and then go home and live a normal life."

https://us.cnn.com/2021/08/25/us/mississippi-covid-nurse-strain/index.html
JGibson
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.00, S: -6.50

« Reply #6491 on: August 25, 2021, 10:19:33 PM »

Tomorrow, Illinois Gov. JB Pritzker is set to announce that the indoor state mask mandate is coming back, irrespective of vaccination status.

Also, Pritzker will announce that all public school PreK-12 and college teachers in the state be ordered to either get vaccinated or be subjected to regular testing.

NBC Chicago:
The new indoor mask mandate, similar to mandates already handed down in Cook County and Chicago, will impact all state residents 2 years of age and older. Those residents will be required to wear facial coverings in indoor settings, regardless of COVID vaccination status.

In addition, Pritzker will announce a new mandate requiring teachers in kindergarten through college to either receive the coronavirus vaccine, or to submit to weekly COVID testing through an enhanced protocols program, the source tells NBC 5.
OneJ
OneJ_
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #6492 on: August 26, 2021, 09:08:42 AM »
« Edited: August 26, 2021, 01:00:36 PM by Virginiá »

I don't know if you've noticed but they were doing their jobs. I also don't know if you realized this either but the workload got to the point where it started to overwhelm them. It's not fun working at a job where you're so overwhelmed with to the point to the point you're highly considering quitting.

The nurses are human beings too and have their mental health to consider among other things within their personal lives that we don't know about so complaining about how these nurses "should" be doing their jobs when Mississippi is battling another COVID-19 wave and nurse shortage isn't going to help now is it?
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6493 on: August 26, 2021, 09:47:28 AM »

What does this even mean

Those are rare. I recommend against the J&J vaccine because it's not nearly as effective as the other ones, but literally any shot is more effective specifically against COVID than your generic health suggestions.

But I am increasingly of the belief that you are a troll, so maybe I shouldn't bother.

I was disappointed at having been given the J+J initially, but my family and I were high-fiving yesterday after NYT reported that J+J doesn't exhibit any decline in effectiveness over time.  So while all your Pfizer and Moderna shots are wearing off and you're gonna need annual boosters, my J+J seems like I'm set for life, although it also reported that a booster raises effectiveness by 800% so I'll be getting that as soon as it's approved as well.
GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6494 on: August 26, 2021, 10:52:45 AM »

God forbid they have to do their job for once in their life.

Stop trolling. Nobody has faced the brunt of this pandemic more than nurses and given that they are primarily women their efforts haven't been rewarded or recognized to the levels they deserve.
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6495 on: August 26, 2021, 11:43:20 AM »

I am not opposed to indoor mask mandates.. like the one Pritzker just imposed..but I am worried of the slippery slope into more restrictions.

From my perspective, as someone who works with the public, I want to see businesses open (which they are) and people masked.
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6496 on: August 26, 2021, 12:03:08 PM »

Basically here is the situation in the US:

Fully Vaccinated White liberals: Refuse to their homes and work from home to try to stop the spread of virus.

Minority Democrats: Largely can not work from home. Some vaccinated, some not.

Republicans: Mostly unvaccinated and living their normal lives. Refusing to wear masks and breathing on people to spread the virus.
CEO Mindset
penttilinkolafan
« Reply #6497 on: August 26, 2021, 12:57:10 PM »

Stop trolling. Nobody has faced the brunt of this pandemic more than nurses and given that they are primarily women their efforts haven't been rewarded or recognized to the levels they deserve.
I'm not trolling. Telling people to do their job for once instead of posting tik toks isn't "trolling". Try again.
GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6498 on: August 26, 2021, 01:05:52 PM »
« Edited: August 26, 2021, 01:10:38 PM by GP270watch »

They are doing their job but society's crappy Covid response is not their job. People refusing vaccines, caring for sick patients without proper PPE, arguing conspiracy theories with moronic family members is not their job.

You are trolling. Nurses have gone above and beyond.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6499 on: August 26, 2021, 01:10:10 PM »

For the last time, do not feed the trolls.
Pages: 1 ... 255 256 257 258 259 [260] 261 262 263 264 265 ... 456  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies