COVID-19 Megathread 6: Return of the Omicron
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 01:51:10 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  COVID-19 Megathread 6: Return of the Omicron
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 144 145 146 147 148 [149] 150 151 152 153 154 ... 456
Poll
Question: ?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 115

Author Topic: COVID-19 Megathread 6: Return of the Omicron  (Read 535065 times)
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3700 on: April 20, 2021, 03:26:52 PM »

And if I see someone walking around on the street without a mask, I don't know if they're vaccinated, so I just assume they're a dick who doesn't care about other people.

Now that a majority of the country has received at least one vaccine, this isn't really logical.

You aren't fully immune until 2 weeks after your 2nd dose, unless you're part of the J&J crew.

I'll reach that 2-week mark in a few days and plan on resuming my previously normal activities as soon as possible.  I don't see any reason not to.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #3701 on: April 20, 2021, 03:37:26 PM »

And if I see someone walking around on the street without a mask, I don't know if they're vaccinated, so I just assume they're a dick who doesn't care about other people.

Now that a majority of the country has received at least one vaccine, this isn't really logical.

You aren't fully immune until 2 weeks after your 2nd dose, unless you're part of the J&J crew.

Of course. My point is, with every day that goes by hundreds of thousands to millions of Americans pass that two week threshold. So when you see someone in public not wearing a mask they could very well just be fully vaccinated instead of a horrible person who doesn't care about the health of others.

I noted this above when discussing the uptick in the numbers of maskless customers at my job over the past week. Many of those who I see probably are vaccinated and are simply tired of wearing a mask.
Interlocutor is just not there yet
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.04

« Reply #3702 on: April 20, 2021, 04:18:41 PM »

Just gonna repost this:

Fauci’s guidance, however, is also irresponsible, and I would expect more from him and the CDC.

If we want people to be vaccinated, we need to remove the recommended restrictions for vaccinated people.  The refusal to do so really does make it -appear- like public health officials have little confidence in the vaccines, despite all the evidence that they are stupendously effective.

He's playing it safe. He also knows the way many people in this country have been acting.

The CDC has already said it's fine for people that are vaccinated to congregate with others that are also vaccinated. I don't see the issue there. As for in public, everyone has to abide by the same regulations or the whole system breaks down. Wearing a mask and staying socially distant while at the grocery store is one of the easiest things you can do. If you're arguing for exemptions for those that are vaccinated, how exactly do you keep track of that? There's already a mass hysteria on the right over things like vaccine passports (because it's apparently necessary to keep a COVID vaccine top secret?).

I agree, it is very easy to do. Yet we've got folks in here practically saying "f*** the masks, I don't have to wear them anymore if I'm vaccinated".
Holy Unifying Centrist
DTC
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 9.53, S: 10.54

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3703 on: April 20, 2021, 04:41:47 PM »

Just gonna repost this:

Fauci’s guidance, however, is also irresponsible, and I would expect more from him and the CDC.

If we want people to be vaccinated, we need to remove the recommended restrictions for vaccinated people.  The refusal to do so really does make it -appear- like public health officials have little confidence in the vaccines, despite all the evidence that they are stupendously effective.

He's playing it safe. He also knows the way many people in this country have been acting.

The CDC has already said it's fine for people that are vaccinated to congregate with others that are also vaccinated. I don't see the issue there. As for in public, everyone has to abide by the same regulations or the whole system breaks down. Wearing a mask and staying socially distant while at the grocery store is one of the easiest things you can do. If you're arguing for exemptions for those that are vaccinated, how exactly do you keep track of that? There's already a mass hysteria on the right over things like vaccine passports (because it's apparently necessary to keep a COVID vaccine top secret?).

I agree, it is very easy to do. Yet we've got folks in here practically saying "f*** the masks, I don't have to wear them anymore if I'm vaccinated".

Not convincing at all. You reduce the incentive to get a vaccine if you’re not allowing people to return back to normal after they get vaccinated. Stop trying to socially engineer people to do your bidding; it’s creepy and completely unnecessary if they are vaccinated. You can wear your mask if you want to but I’m not wearing masks anymore once I am fully vaccinated.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #3704 on: April 20, 2021, 05:25:08 PM »

Not convincing at all. You reduce the incentive to get a vaccine if you’re not allowing people to return back to normal after they get vaccinated.

Not having to worry about dying isn't enough incentive? That's why I got it. Yeah you're right it reduces it I guess, but I had no expectation that the mask mandates were going away, at least not for a few months so everyone can get vaccinated. When they do I'll stop wearing it.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3705 on: April 20, 2021, 05:26:49 PM »

Not convincing at all. You reduce the incentive to get a vaccine if you’re not allowing people to return back to normal after they get vaccinated.

Not having to worry about dying isn't enough incentive? That's why I got it. Yeah you're right it reduces it I guess, but I had no expectation that the mask mandates were going away, at least not for a few months so everyone can get vaccinated. When they do I'll stop wearing it.

For a large number of people, being able to party again is more of an incentive than not dying.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #3706 on: April 20, 2021, 06:16:48 PM »

I just can't get over how much of an inconvenience people think wearing a mask is. Maybe I've just become used to it, but I'd still rather be safe than sorry, even when I get fully vaccinated. We especially don't know how things are going to pan out with new strains popping up everywhere. It appears that even a first dose is enough to stave them off for now, but this virus is unlike anything the medical communtiy has ever encountered before, but I have no qualms with still wearing a mask, and really nobody should. To me, it's also a matter of mutual respect to those who aren't vaccinated yet. To me blatantly not wanting to wear a mask because I'm immune comes off like "na na na na na I'm immune and you're not!"
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #3707 on: April 20, 2021, 06:18:45 PM »

I just can't get over how much of an inconvenience people think wearing a mask is. Maybe I've just become used to it, but I'd still rather be safe than sorry, even when I get fully vaccinated. We especially don't know how things are going to pan out with new strains popping up everywhere. It appears that even a first dose is enough to stave them off for now, but this virus is unlike anything the medical communtiy has ever encountered before, but I have no qualms with still wearing a mask, and really nobody should. To me, it's also a matter of mutual respect to those who aren't vaccinated yet. To me blatantly not wanting to wear a mask because I'm immune comes off like "na na na na na I'm immune and you're not!"

I certainly think that it's selfish for people to stop wearing a mask just because they've been vaccinated. I think we should continue to don them, but only until we've reached an adequate vaccination rate. I do not want this to become permanent, and I certainly hope that we still won't be wearing them next year.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3708 on: April 20, 2021, 07:25:22 PM »

I think if you are vaccinated fully, it’s fine to not wear a mask if you are being courteous and stay a distance away from those who still are. (And obviously wear them where there are mandates and in crowded areas)
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #3709 on: April 20, 2021, 09:15:19 PM »

Honestly masks are pretty dope. I used to always be awkward around others when walking. Do I smile to them? Say hi? It was too weird. Maybe it’s because I’m an awkward millennial. With a mask on, I don’t need to smile or say anything. It’s perfect. So I will keep my mask on so no one can see my face when I’m out. Smiley
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #3710 on: April 20, 2021, 10:49:42 PM »

The updated numbers for COVID-19 in the U.S. are in for 4/20 per: https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

I'm keeping track of these updates daily and updating at the end of the day, whenever all states finish reporting for that day.

ΔW Change: Comparisons of Weekly Day-to-day Growth or Decline of COVID-19 Spread/Deaths.
  • IE: Comparing the numbers to the same day of last week, are we flattening the curve enough?

Σ Increase: A day's contribution to overall percentage growth of COVID-19 cases/deaths.
  • IE:What's the overall change in the total?

Brackets []: These represent the total change for the day, including backlogged reports, if any.
  • These numbers are inflated relative to the actual reports for the day, so they are not used to calculate the comparative percentage shifts.

Older Numbers (Hidden in spoiler mode to make the post more compact)
Spoiler alert! Click Show to show the content.

4/11 (Last Sunday Holiday): <Sunday>
  • Cases: 31,918,591 (+48,611 | ΔW Change: ↑27.50% | Σ Increase: ↑0.15%)
  • Deaths: 575,829 (+293 | ΔW Change: ↑5.40% | Σ Increase: ↑0.04%)

4/12: <M>
  • Cases: 31,990,143 (+56,522 [+71,552] | ΔW Change: ↑12.31% | Σ Increase: ↑0.22%)
  • Deaths: 576,298 (+469 | ΔW Change: ↑11.67% | Σ Increase: ↑0.08%)

4/13: <T>
  • Cases: 32,070,784 (+77,720 [+80,641] | ΔW Change: ↑24.79% | Σ Increase: ↑0.25%)
  • Deaths: 577,179 (+819 [+881] | ΔW Change: ↓9.60% | Σ Increase: ↑0.15%)

4/14: <W>
  • Cases: 32,149,223 (+78,439 | ΔW Change: ↑2.13% | Σ Increase: ↑0.24%)
  • Deaths: 578,092 (+913 | ΔW Change: ↑4.58% | Σ Increase: ↑0.16%)

4/15: <Þ>
  • Cases: 32,224,139 (+74,916 | ΔW Change: ↓0.36% | Σ Increase: ↑0.23%)
  • Deaths: 578,993 (+901 | ΔW Change: ↑3.33% | Σ Increase: ↑0.16%)

4/16: <F>
  • Cases: 32,305,912 (+81,773 | ΔW Change: ↓4.21% | Σ Increase: ↑0.25%)
  • Deaths: 579,942 (+887 [+949] | ΔW Change: ↓9.86% | Σ Increase: ↑0.16%)

4/17: <S>
  • Cases: 32,372,119 (+63,581 [+66,207] | ΔW Change: ↓5.40% | Σ Increase: ↑0.20%)
  • Deaths: 580,756 (+738 [+814] | ΔW Change: ↓1.99% | Σ Increase: ↑0.14%)

4/18: <Sunday>
  • Cases: 32,404,454 (+32,335 | ΔW Change: ↓33.48% | Σ Increase: ↑0.10%)
  • Deaths: 581,061 (+305 | ΔW Change: ↑4.10% | Σ Increase: ↑0.05%)

4/19 (Yesterday): <M>
  • Cases: 32,475,043 (+51,560 [+70,589] | ΔW Change: ↓8.78% | Σ Increase: ↑0.22%)
  • Deaths: 581,542 (+481 | ΔW Change: ↑2.56% | Σ Increase: ↑0.08%)

4/20 (Today): <T>
  • Cases: 32,536,470 (+61,427 | ΔW Change: ↓20.96% | Σ Increase: ↑0.19%)
  • Deaths: 582,456 (+914 | ΔW Change: ↑11.60% | Σ Increase: ↑0.16%)
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #3711 on: April 20, 2021, 11:22:31 PM »

Honestly masks are pretty dope. I used to always be awkward around others when walking. Do I smile to them? Say hi? It was too weird. Maybe it’s because I’m an awkward millennial. With a mask on, I don’t need to smile or say anything. It’s perfect. So I will keep my mask on so no one can see my face when I’m out. Smiley

Also don't have to worry about being clean shaven. It's been a silver lining for sure. Smiley
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3712 on: April 21, 2021, 12:02:51 AM »

I saw someone at work who started in the last year and had actually never seen without a mask until the last week and had to do a double take because they just didn't look quite like I thought they would.  It was actually a little disconcerting.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #3713 on: April 21, 2021, 09:25:18 AM »

Getting my second dose of Pfizer today. Two weeks from now, I'm ditching the mask and never looking back. I don't care about the "optics" because - if anything - I live in an area where still wearing a mask makes you a (literal) target rather than a savior (something many of our so-called woke urban whites don't seem to get).

I had one member of my family with pulmonary-related vulnerabilities and they died last year. Literally nobody in my life or social circles now is individually particularly vulnerable to the effects now, and after I am immune, I don't care who else might suffer: GA has had universal, free vaccination available in every corner of the state for 4 weeks now (6 weeks as of the time I'll stop wearing one), and whether - by statistical observation in my own state - any conservatives, Latinos, cretins or blacks want to avoid getting a vaccine, it's on them and that'll be their problem. If you don't care enough about those close to you, then I'm sure as hell not going to extend the courtesy. I'm done being a target for harassment by some and a target for guilt by others, neither of whom are doing their part to save themselves or those about whom they care.
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #3714 on: April 21, 2021, 02:20:08 PM »
« Edited: April 21, 2021, 02:37:52 PM by Monstro Believes DeSantis is more Overrated than Haley »

Doesn't matter. Folks wanna think of themselves as a high & mighty superhero for not wearing a piece of cloth on their face for another month or two.

Anyway, I honestly don't care that much. I only wear a mask anymore whenever I'm around other people or with folks whom I don't know are fully vaccinated. It's not like the maskless have their vaccine cards taped to their shirts and it's been a little hard throughout this pandemic to trust people (This is when those evil "vaccine passports" may come in handy).

I have a road trip planned this August + some concerts, so I'm hopeful that the vaccine rate will be high enough in the next 3 months to where I can go without a mask. Nonetheless, I'm just a woke urban liberal who actually wants masks to be written permanently because the Online Left said so
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #3715 on: April 21, 2021, 02:36:51 PM »

Anyway, how's that surge looking?
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #3716 on: April 21, 2021, 02:51:55 PM »

Great news!
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.25, S: -6.50

« Reply #3717 on: April 21, 2021, 02:56:07 PM »

Great news!

April 9, 2021
Someone's two weeks late on the news.

On a serious note, I do wonder how long it'll take for the FDA to give an EUA for this one. My guess is another two weeks (1 month).
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #3718 on: April 21, 2021, 03:00:54 PM »

Great news!

April 9, 2021

On a serious note, I do wonder how long it'll take for the FDA to give an EUA for this one. My guess is another two weeks (1 month).

In fact, it was posted in this thread (by yours truly) on the day it was announced.  That was 13 pages ago. Smiley
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #3719 on: April 21, 2021, 03:11:14 PM »

Only in France:

The French prime minister is being mailed ladies' underwear, as lingerie stores protest lockdown rules.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #3720 on: April 21, 2021, 03:34:13 PM »

Great news!

April 9, 2021

In fact, it was posted in this thread (by yours truly) on the day it was announced.  That was 13 pages ago. Smiley

Ah oops, saw it retweeted today and didn’t check the date!
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #3721 on: April 21, 2021, 04:55:15 PM »

It bothers me the way they characterize the effectiveness of these. Estimated 18 people who should have gotten infected but didn't is something like a 95% chance that it's at least 85% effective. ~100% effective seems like a much stronger statement.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #3722 on: April 21, 2021, 07:12:55 PM »

Getting my second dose of Pfizer today. Two weeks from now, I'm ditching the mask and never looking back. I don't care about the "optics" because - if anything - I live in an area where still wearing a mask makes you a (literal) target rather than a savior (something many of our so-called woke urban whites don't seem to get).

I had one member of my family with pulmonary-related vulnerabilities and they died last year. Literally nobody in my life or social circles now is individually particularly vulnerable to the effects now, and after I am immune, I don't care who else might suffer: GA has had universal, free vaccination available in every corner of the state for 4 weeks now (6 weeks as of the time I'll stop wearing one), and whether - by statistical observation in my own state - any conservatives, Latinos, cretins or blacks want to avoid getting a vaccine, it's on them and that'll be their problem. If you don't care enough about those close to you, then I'm sure as hell not going to extend the courtesy. I'm done being a target for harassment by some and a target for guilt by others, neither of whom are doing their part to save themselves or those about whom they care.

I'm assuming that I'm among the examples of the "woke urban whites" you are referring to. And that's fine. I've learned to accept and live with that characterization.

But I do kind understand where you're coming from here in a state that is surely more plentiful with contrarian reactionaries, even as I have some apprehensions towards engaging in that sort of mindset myself. Really, it just reinforces why enough Americans getting vaccinated is our only real way out of this.
Asta

« Reply #3723 on: April 21, 2021, 07:39:22 PM »

Getting my first Pfizer dose on Friday. It might sound odd, but quite a number of people around me reported feeling sicker than media have made it seem. Some took more than a day or two to recover. Hearing these kinds of stories get me nervous, admittedly.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #3724 on: April 21, 2021, 08:01:24 PM »

Getting my first Pfizer dose on Friday. It might sound odd, but quite a number of people around me reported feeling sicker than media have made it seem. Some took more than a day or two to recover. Hearing these kinds of stories get me nervous, admittedly.

I've had both Pfizer shots and they weren't bad (YMMV, of course).  The first one just made sleepy starting about 3 hours later, lasting the rest of the afternoon.  The second one made me tired and achy the next day, but it wasn't nearly as bad as a case of the flu.  I was fine the day after that except for a mildly sore arm that lasted a few more days.
Pages: 1 ... 144 145 146 147 148 [149] 150 151 152 153 154 ... 456  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies