COVID-19 Megathread 6: Return of the Omicron
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 11:03:04 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  COVID-19 Megathread 6: Return of the Omicron
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 143 144 145 146 147 [148] 149 150 151 152 153 ... 456
Poll
Question: ?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 115

Author Topic: COVID-19 Megathread 6: Return of the Omicron  (Read 534730 times)
Interlocutor is just not there yet
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.04

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3675 on: April 19, 2021, 02:16:49 PM »
« edited: April 19, 2021, 05:23:40 PM by Monstro Believes DeSantis is more Overrated than Haley »

I have not heard anyone call for permanent masking. I keep seeing in this thread that people for calling for this, but I haven't otherwise heard of that. What even would be the reason for it?

It's just some extremely online folks panicking over a slightly larger group of extremely online folks, causing the smaller group of extremely online folks to declare it a "disturbingly growing stance" (Even though we've been told for years on this board that "Twitter isn't real life").

Because if you look hard enough, you can find anyone online promoting any position/issue you can think of. Especially the ones that keep you up at night.
Interlocutor is just not there yet
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.04

« Reply #3676 on: April 19, 2021, 02:25:41 PM »

By the way, any developments on this surge? I don't know if it's cause I'm from California where we seem to be avoiding one at the present time, I haven't heard anything about it in like a week.

What are the new surge cases anyway? Young people going out to patronize/party that haven't been vaccinated yet? If so, I thought that was one of the agreed-upon trade-offs in getting seniors vaccinated first.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3677 on: April 19, 2021, 06:36:57 PM »

That poll about hospitalization risk just shows that the public doesn't have a good idea of risk. Even most Republicans overestimate the risk, yet then they underestimate the actual seriousness of the disease and dismiss it as being a threat. People don't act based on the logical consequences of their perceived level of risk. Perhaps people don't appreciate how much Covid has really spread, even the official case numbers are huge but nearly 100 million people in the US could have actually contracted the virus.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #3678 on: April 19, 2021, 06:45:55 PM »

I'm getting my first vaccine dose on Wednesday. Moderna I think. The timing is great because I'm going to my cousin's wedding next Sunday.
ultraviolet
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -3.22

P P P
« Reply #3679 on: April 19, 2021, 06:52:03 PM »

Got my first dose today, Pfizer since I’m under 18. It hurt more than I expected but so far all I have is a sore arm. Unfortunately the nearest Krispy Kreme is like 30 miles away.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #3680 on: April 19, 2021, 06:58:15 PM »

Got my first dose today, Pfizer since I’m under 18. It hurt more than I expected but so far all I have is a sore arm. Unfortunately the nearest Krispy Kreme is like 30 miles away.

Haha! I know the feeling. The franchise used to be pretty rare where I am but thankfully two Krispy Kremes opened fairly close to me just this year. I know the first thing I'm doing after getting my vaccine!
Drew
drewmike87
United States

« Reply #3681 on: April 19, 2021, 09:34:17 PM »

I got my 2nd Moderna today and thought about stopping at a Krispy Kreme since there is one in the area of the vaccination site, but didn’t go through with it.  So far, just a sore shoulder and some fatigue.  I’ll see what happens over the next day or so.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #3682 on: April 20, 2021, 12:49:58 AM »

The updated numbers for COVID-19 in the U.S. are in for 4/19 per: https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

I'm keeping track of these updates daily and updating at the end of the day, whenever all states finish reporting for that day.

ΔW Change: Comparisons of Weekly Day-to-day Growth or Decline of COVID-19 Spread/Deaths.
  • IE: Comparing the numbers to the same day of last week, are we flattening the curve enough?

Σ Increase: A day's contribution to overall percentage growth of COVID-19 cases/deaths.
  • IE:What's the overall change in the total?

Brackets []: These represent the total change for the day, including backlogged reports, if any.
  • These numbers are inflated relative to the actual reports for the day, so they are not used to calculate the comparative percentage shifts.

Older Numbers (Hidden in spoiler mode to make the post more compact)
Spoiler alert! Click Show to show the content.

4/11 (Last Sunday Holiday): <Sunday>
  • Cases: 31,918,591 (+48,611 | ΔW Change: ↑27.50% | Σ Increase: ↑0.15%)
  • Deaths: 575,829 (+293 | ΔW Change: ↑5.40% | Σ Increase: ↑0.04%)

4/12: <M>
  • Cases: 31,990,143 (+56,522 [+71,552] | ΔW Change: ↑12.31% | Σ Increase: ↑0.22%)
  • Deaths: 576,298 (+469 | ΔW Change: ↑11.67% | Σ Increase: ↑0.08%)

4/13: <T>
  • Cases: 32,070,784 (+77,720 [+80,641] | ΔW Change: ↑24.79% | Σ Increase: ↑0.25%)
  • Deaths: 577,179 (+819 [+881] | ΔW Change: ↓9.60% | Σ Increase: ↑0.15%)

4/14: <W>
  • Cases: 32,149,223 (+78,439 | ΔW Change: ↑2.13% | Σ Increase: ↑0.24%)
  • Deaths: 578,092 (+913 | ΔW Change: ↑4.58% | Σ Increase: ↑0.16%)

4/15: <Þ>
  • Cases: 32,224,139 (+74,916 | ΔW Change: ↓0.36% | Σ Increase: ↑0.23%)
  • Deaths: 578,993 (+901 | ΔW Change: ↑3.33% | Σ Increase: ↑0.16%)

4/16: <F>
  • Cases: 32,305,912 (+81,773 | ΔW Change: ↓4.21% | Σ Increase: ↑0.25%)
  • Deaths: 579,942 (+887 [+949] | ΔW Change: ↓9.86% | Σ Increase: ↑0.16%)

4/17: <S>
  • Cases: 32,372,119 (+63,581 [+66,207] | ΔW Change: ↓5.40% | Σ Increase: ↑0.20%)
  • Deaths: 580,756 (+738 [+814] | ΔW Change: ↓1.99% | Σ Increase: ↑0.14%)

4/18 (Yesterday): <Sunday>
  • Cases: 32,404,454 (+32,335 | ΔW Change: ↓33.48% | Σ Increase: ↑0.10%)
  • Deaths: 581,061 (+305 | ΔW Change: ↑4.10% | Σ Increase: ↑0.05%)

4/19 (Today): <M>
  • Cases: 32,475,043 (+51,560 [+70,589] | ΔW Change: ↓8.78% | Σ Increase: ↑0.22%)
  • Deaths: 581,542 (+481 | ΔW Change: ↑2.56% | Σ Increase: ↑0.08%)
YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #3683 on: April 20, 2021, 01:21:44 AM »

There’s no need to close this thread altogether (we don’t need a new one really) or rename it (title is creative and technically accurate). Stop requesting such.
Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #3684 on: April 20, 2021, 09:19:41 AM »

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/04/14/us/michigans-governor-again-resists-imposing-new-restrictions-as-cases-keep-surging.html
Michigan’s governor again resists imposing new restrictions, as cases keep surging.
Michigan’s worst-in-the-nation coronavirus outbreak shows no signs of abating. Daily reports of new cases continue to climb. Hospitalizations are approaching peak levels. And deaths are rising, too.

But Gov. Gretchen Whitmer, a Democrat who unapologetically locked down her state last year, signaled again on Wednesday that she had no plans to impose new restrictions.

“Instead of mandating that we’re closing things down, we are encouraging people to do what we know works,” Ms. Whitmer said, stressing that a mask mandate and occupancy limits remained in place in the state. “It’s not the policy problem. It is a variant and compliance problem.”

Ms. Whitmer finds herself overseeing a rapidly escalating crisis with no easy solutions. Sixteen of the 17 metro areas with the highest recent case rates in the country are in her state, which has accounted for more than 10 percent of all U.S. cases reported in the last week.

Instead of ordering a new shutdown, Ms. Whitmer spent much of her news conference on Wednesday talking about the benefits of therapeutics, including monoclonal antibodies, and urging people to be open to those treatments if they are given a Covid-19 diagnosis. She also pleaded with residents to wear masks and get vaccinated.

Imagine the outrage and the adjectives DeSantis would face, if it was him.

As it wasn't enough...

Whitmer visited elderly father in Florida during pandemic
LANSING, Mich. (AP) — Gov. Gretchen Whitmer traveled out of state more than a month ago to visit her elderly father, a snowbird who has lived in Florida and has a chronic disease, her office said Monday.

The disclosure confirmed reporting by the Lansing-based publication MIRS. It came weeks after the governor warned the public about spring break trips, particularly to Florida, amid a surge in coronavirus cases. Two of her top aides, including Michigan’s health director, vacationed in southern states despite a state recommendation to avoid travel.

Spokesman Bobby Leddy said Whitmer “did not go on spring break” and went to “assist her elderly father, who is battling a chronic illness.” He did not say which state she visited, but the governor said early in the pandemic that her father was a snowbird in Florida with “compromised lung function, and I’m worried about him.”

Rules for thee, not for (D) me.
ultraviolet
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -3.22

P P P
« Reply #3685 on: April 20, 2021, 09:40:55 AM »

As it wasn't enough...

LANSING, Mich. (AP) — Gov. Gretchen Whitmer traveled out of state more than a month ago to visit her elderly father, a snowbird who has lived in Florida and has a chronic disease, her office said Monday.

The disclosure confirmed reporting by the Lansing-based publication MIRS. It came weeks after the governor warned the public about spring break trips, particularly to Florida, amid a surge in coronavirus cases. Two of her top aides, including Michigan’s health director, vacationed in southern states despite a state recommendation to avoid travel.

Spokesman Bobby Leddy said Whitmer “did not go on spring break” and went to “assist her elderly father, who is battling a chronic illness.” He did not say which state she visited, but the governor said early in the pandemic that her father was a snowbird in Florida with “compromised lung function, and I’m worried about him.”

It literally says it’s a recommendation. And visiting an elderly relative with a chronic illness is as good a reason as you can get to go against the recommendation. Wow
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3686 on: April 20, 2021, 09:43:15 AM »

Local turd and COVID denier gets the "Chinese sh**t" thinks he's gonna die

Ted Nugent has caught COVID-19 after calling it “not a real pandemic”

GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #3687 on: April 20, 2021, 09:45:55 AM »

You know what they say about karma.
Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #3688 on: April 20, 2021, 09:59:06 AM »

Perhaps, the most pro-science Gov of US. There is virtually no reasons for vaccinated people to act differently than they do during a flue season. At best, there are "solidarity" reasons.
Holy Unifying Centrist
DTC
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 9.53, S: 10.54

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3689 on: April 20, 2021, 10:07:28 AM »

Perhaps, the most pro-science Gov of US. There is virtually no reasons for vaccinated people to act differently than they do during a flue season. At best, there are "solidarity" reasons.

I feel like this is just common sense. I'm genuinely wondering what world a lot of these media types live in.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #3690 on: April 20, 2021, 10:12:18 AM »

Dude....
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #3691 on: April 20, 2021, 10:13:53 AM »

I feel like this is just common sense. I'm genuinely wondering what world a lot of these media types live in.

A few months ago, one of my co-workers urged me to start wearing two masks. That was when the CDC began recommending it, when we were going through another one of the "pandemic surges". I bought myself a new set of masks, but I didn't follow her advice, and now that I've gotten my first dose (and will be getting my second one next month), I don't plan on double masking now. I don't find it to be necessary, and it's been discomforting enough to wear one mask as it is, as I've had to do for over a year now.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3692 on: April 20, 2021, 10:25:12 AM »

I'm vaccinated, but I still wear a mask because other people don't know that I'm vaccinated.

And if I see someone walking around on the street without a mask, I don't know if they're vaccinated, so I just assume they're a dick who doesn't care about other people.

If we had some way of signaling who's vaccinated and who's not, that would be great.  Unfortunately, no matter what it is, conservatives would say it's exactly the same as Hitler's stars/wristbands, and dumb yokels on the internet would buy that argument.  And unvaccinated people would try to lie/cheat/steal their way into pretending to be vaccinated.
Holy Unifying Centrist
DTC
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 9.53, S: 10.54

« Reply #3693 on: April 20, 2021, 10:27:15 AM »

I'm vaccinated, but I still wear a mask because other people don't know that I'm vaccinated.

And if I see someone walking around on the street without a mask, I don't know if they're vaccinated, so I just assume they're a dick who doesn't care about other people.

If we had some way of signaling who's vaccinated and who's not, that would be great.  Unfortunately, no matter what it is, conservatives would say it's exactly the same as Hitler's stars/wristbands, and dumb yokels on the internet would buy that argument.  And unvaccinated people would try to lie/cheat/steal their way into pretending to be vaccinated.

Wait why are you wearing masks on the street anyways? COVID barely spreads outdoors. I haven't worn a mask outside (except when it's really cold) since August. Granted, where I live isn't super densely populated; I can understand wearing masks in a busy street in NYC

Also why would you care what other people think of you if you're vaccinated? Doesn't make any sense. Sounds like you're conforming just for conformance sake

Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3694 on: April 20, 2021, 10:28:54 AM »

Now that a majority of the country has received at least one vaccine, this isn't really logical.
Not Me, Us
KhanOfKhans
United States

« Reply #3695 on: April 20, 2021, 10:47:08 AM »

I think DeSantis is an awful Governor and responsible for the deaths of many people, but he's right on this. I get my second dose on the 30th, but two weeks after that, the pandemic is over for me. I'll still wear a mask inside if there's still a mandate in PA or if the business requires it, but otherwise I won't be wearing a mask indoors anymore. I'm also going to see my grandparents in Minnesota in July for the first time in over a year, because we'll all be fully vaccinated by then. I feel like people are still trapped in the pandemic mindset, and I still am too, to an extent, but at some point we have to open up. Not yet, but by June, when anyone who wants a vaccine will be able to get a vaccine, restrictions should be lifted.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3696 on: April 20, 2021, 01:21:34 PM »

I think DeSantis is an awful Governor and responsible for the deaths of many people, but he's right on this. I get my second dose on the 30th, but two weeks after that, the pandemic is over for me. I'll still wear a mask inside if there's still a mandate in PA or if the business requires it, but otherwise I won't be wearing a mask indoors anymore. I'm also going to see my grandparents in Minnesota in July for the first time in over a year, because we'll all be fully vaccinated by then. I feel like people are still trapped in the pandemic mindset, and I still am too, to an extent, but at some point we have to open up. Not yet, but by June, when anyone who wants a vaccine will be able to get a vaccine, restrictions should be lifted.

We have the technology and infrastructure to make a public health issue into a personal responsibilities. I agree with that.
GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3697 on: April 20, 2021, 02:50:29 PM »
« Edited: April 20, 2021, 03:02:03 PM by GP270watch »

Brasil is the proof that Trumpism would have never worked to stop Covid because misinformation, ignorant bravado, hokum cures, and the idea that you can just let it run through the population has lead to disaster that might even threaten Covid-19 success stories in the rest of the world.
支持核绿派 (Greens4Nuclear)
khuzifenq
YaBB God
United States

P P
« Reply #3698 on: April 20, 2021, 03:21:39 PM »

Now that a majority of the country has received at least one vaccine, this isn't really logical.

You aren't fully immune until 2 weeks after your 2nd dose, unless you're part of the J&J crew.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3699 on: April 20, 2021, 03:26:24 PM »

You aren't fully immune until 2 weeks after your 2nd dose, unless you're part of the J&J crew.

Of course. My point is, with every day that goes by hundreds of thousands to millions of Americans pass that two week threshold. So when you see someone in public not wearing a mask they could very well just be fully vaccinated instead of a horrible person who doesn't care about the health of others.
Pages: 1 ... 143 144 145 146 147 [148] 149 150 151 152 153 ... 456  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies