COVID-19 Megathread 5: The Trumps catch COVID-19
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 07:29:50 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  COVID-19 Megathread 5: The Trumps catch COVID-19
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 186 187 188 189 190 [191] 192 193 194 195 196 ... 201
Author Topic: COVID-19 Megathread 5: The Trumps catch COVID-19  (Read 269150 times)
Former Crackhead Mike Lindell
Randall
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4750 on: July 21, 2020, 06:27:06 PM »

If the Trump we saw at today's conference was the one we got all throughout this pandemic, we'd be looking at a much closer election this November.*

As it stands, however, so much of the damage has already been done, and so much still to happen. It's not going to do him many favors.

But, yes, by Trump's infinitesimally low standards: good press conference. He can't keep it up though.

(*Except that Maxwell comment. Eww. And also WTF?)
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #4751 on: July 21, 2020, 07:18:50 PM »

>1,100 deaths today already. One hour to go until the states finish reporting. Sad
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #4752 on: July 21, 2020, 08:12:08 PM »
« Edited: July 21, 2020, 08:16:13 PM by Arch »

The updated numbers for COVID-19 in the U.S. are in for 7/21 per: https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

I'm keeping track of these updates daily and updating at the end of the day, whenever all states finish reporting for that day.

New - Substituting the Δ Change metric as of 7/13 on dates starting from 7/5:
ΔW Change: Comparisons of Weekly Day-to-day Growth or Decline of COVID-19 Spread/Deaths.
  • IE: Comparing the numbers to the same day of last week, are we flattening the curve enough?

Σ Increase: A day's contribution to overall percentage growth of COVID-19 cases/deaths.
  • IE: What's the overall change in the total?

Older Numbers (Hidden in spoiler mode to make the post more compact)

7/12: <Sunday>
  • Cases: 3,413,995 (+58,349 | ΔW Change: ↑23.73% | Σ Increase: ↑1.74%)
  • Deaths: 137,782 (+379 | ΔW Change: ↑51.00% | Σ Increase: ↑0.28%)

7/13: <M>
  • Cases: 3,479,483 (+65,488 | ΔW Change: ↑13.10% | Σ Increase: ↑1.74%)
  • Deaths: 138,247 (+465 | ΔW Change: ↑13.41% | Σ Increase: ↑0.28%)

7/14: <T>
  • Cases: 3,545,077 (+65,594 | ΔW Change: ↑16.61% | Σ Increase: ↑1.89%)
  • Deaths: 139,143 (+896 | ΔW Change: ↓9.77% | Σ Increase: ↑0.65%)

7/15: <W>
  • Cases: 3,616,747 (+71,670 | ΔW Change: ↑13.61% | Σ Increase: ↑2.02%)
  • Deaths: 140,140 (+997 | ΔW Change: ↑16.25% | Σ Increase: ↑0.72%)

7/16: <Þ>
  • Cases: 3,695,025 (+78,278 | ΔW Change: ↑27.77% | Σ Increase: ↑2.16%)
  • Deaths: 141,118 (+978 | ΔW Change: ↑1.03% | Σ Increase: ↑0.70%)

7/17: <F>
  • Cases: 3,770,012 (+74,987 | ΔW Change: ↑4.46% | Σ Increase: ↑2.03%)
  • Deaths: 142,064 (+946 | ΔW Change: ↑11.43% | Σ Increase: ↑0.67%)

7/18: <S>
  • Cases: 3,833,271 (+63,259 | ΔW Change: ↓0.94% | Σ Increase: ↑1.68%)
  • Deaths: 142,877 (+813 | ΔW Change: ↑11.07% | Σ Increase: ↑0.57%)

7/19: <Sunday>
  • Cases: 3,896,855 (+63,584 | ΔW Change: ↑8.97% | Σ Increase: ↑1.66%)
  • Deaths: 143,269 (+392 | ΔW Change: ↑3.43% | Σ Increase: ↑0.27%)

7/20 (Yesterday): <M>
  • Cases: 3,961,429 (+64,574 | ΔW Change: ↓1.40% | Σ Increase: ↑1.66%)
  • Deaths: 143,834 (+565 | ΔW Change: ↑21.51% | Σ Increase: ↑0.39%)

7/21 (Today): <T>
  • Cases: 4,028,569 (+67,140 | ΔW Change: ↑2.36% | Σ Increase: ↑1.69%)
  • Deaths: 144,953 (+1,119 | ΔW Change: ↑24.85% | Σ Increase: ↑0.78%)
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4753 on: July 21, 2020, 09:19:33 PM »

If the Trump we saw at today's conference was the one we got all throughout this pandemic, we'd be looking at a much closer election this November.*

As it stands, however, so much of the damage has already been done, and so much still to happen. It's not going to do him many favors.

But, yes, by Trump's infinitesimally low standards: good press conference. He can't keep it up though.

Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix
E: 0.10, S: 0.06

« Reply #4754 on: July 22, 2020, 03:48:19 AM »

For all of my adult dependent peeps/disabled dependents/elderly dependents who didn't receive the first stimulus/whose caretakers did not recieve anything for your care:

Via cnbc:

During the House Committee on Small Business hearing, Rep. Angie Craig, D-Minn., pointed out to Mnuchin that many dependents — including those age 17 and over, college students and disabled adults — were left out of the payments.

Craig asked Mnuchin whether he would consider including those individuals in the next package and making that retroactive.

"From a policy standpoint, I understand that issue and I am sympathetic to it," Mnuchin said.

Source:
 https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cnbc.com/amp/2020/07/21/how-eligibility-for-next-stimulus-checks-may-change-with-new-legislation.html

Also props to Mnuchin for the most sterile and corporate answer ever. 
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #4755 on: July 22, 2020, 10:11:58 AM »

This is a very revealing survey about where public opinion stands. According to this Morning Consult poll which was released earlier today (https://morningconsult.com/2020/07/22/face-mask-polling/), 72% of registered voters support making masks mandatory; moreover, they support mask orders that include penalties (i.e. fines) against those who violate the orders. Also, 28 states + D.C., more then half the country, have now made masks mandatory in public, and I expect for some other states to follow. It's clear that the anti-maskers have lost on this issue, and that those holding civil liberties concerns about mask wearing are in the definite minority.

I've noted previously how mask wearing rates have gone up dramatically at my job since Polis issued his statewide mask mandate last week. This persisted on Monday, with about 90% of all individuals wearing masks. El Paso County is now in jeopardy, along with fourteen other Colorado counties (including Pueblo County), of losing its variances if the current case growth trajectory does not decline over the next few weeks. It will take some time for Polis' order to have an effect upon the numbers, so given the situation in which we were headed, any further delay on that front would have been costly.
LabourJersey
United States

« Reply #4756 on: July 22, 2020, 11:51:58 AM »

This is a very revealing survey about where public opinion stands. According to this Morning Consult poll which was released earlier today (https://morningconsult.com/2020/07/22/face-mask-polling/), 72% of registered voters support making masks mandatory; moreover, they support mask orders that include penalties (i.e. fines) against those who violate the orders. Also, 28 states + D.C., more then half the country, have now made masks mandatory in public, and I expect for some other states to follow. It's clear that the anti-maskers have lost on this issue, and that those holding civil liberties concerns about mask wearing are in the definite minority.

I've noted previously how mask wearing rates have gone up dramatically at my job since Polis issued his statewide mask mandate last week. This persisted on Monday, with about 90% of all individuals wearing masks. El Paso County is now in jeopardy, along with fourteen other Colorado counties (including Pueblo County), of losing its variances if the current case growth trajectory does not decline over the next few weeks. It will take some time for Polis' order to have an effect upon the numbers, so given the situation in which we were headed, any further delay on that front would have been costly.

It's been clear for a while that the anti-mask people are a minority. They're just a very, very loud minority.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #4757 on: July 22, 2020, 11:59:33 AM »

It's been clear for a while that the anti-mask people are a minority. They're just a very, very loud minority.

This is true. It's interesting how history has repeated itself with regards to masks. One hundred years ago, during the Spanish Flu, many jurisdictions made masks mandatory, in an effort to combat that pandemic. San Francisco was among them, and I've read about how there was an "Anti-Mask League", established within the city, that was opposed to its mask mandate. Moreover, many of the same complaints which we've heard about masks now-that they are uncomfortable, that they are unhealthful, that they are an intrusion upon individual rights-were made by people back then. However, the difference between 1919 and 2020 is that the overwhelming majority of people now have accepted masks, while public opinion was more divided then.
GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4758 on: July 22, 2020, 12:08:07 PM »

He lied for most of the conference. Started with his lame China Flu nonsense again. Said the media was not reporting bad outbreaks anywhere else. Trump is awful, the fact people expect so little of him and he fails to even meet that shows how we got in this mess.

jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #4759 on: July 22, 2020, 01:15:31 PM »

Did they ask the the respondents to say how large the fine or jail time would be, or who would enforce it? Would there be a bounty for reporting large gatherings at a neighbors?

Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #4760 on: July 22, 2020, 02:01:49 PM »

Did they ask the the respondents to say how large the fine or jail time would be, or who would enforce it? Would there be a bounty for reporting large gatherings at a neighbors?

Not as far as I know.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #4761 on: July 22, 2020, 03:36:15 PM »

Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #4762 on: July 22, 2020, 03:47:25 PM »

This represents a reversal of his earlier position, as he had initially walked back from a mask mandate because of civil liberties concerns. But I'm glad to see that the momentum for this is increasing.
Koharu
jphp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.35

« Reply #4763 on: July 22, 2020, 04:24:08 PM »

This represents a reversal of his earlier position, as he had initially walked back from a mask mandate because of civil liberties concerns. But I'm glad to see that the momentum for this is increasing.

Makes me happy for personal reasons for sure. I have a friend who lives in Ohio and works at a library. Patrons have been pretty unreliable for mask wearing. Hopefully this increases people's willingness to protect the safety of others.
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4764 on: July 22, 2020, 04:37:35 PM »

Time for Abbott, DeSantis and Ducey to do the same. Probably Newsom as well.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #4765 on: July 22, 2020, 04:39:29 PM »

Makes me happy for personal reasons for sure. I have a friend who lives in Ohio and works at a library. Patrons have been pretty unreliable for mask wearing. Hopefully this increases people's willingness to protect the safety of others.

Polis offered pretty much the same explanation here in Colorado when he was asked why he had reversed his position on a mask mandate. He pointed to studies which indicate that more people will wear masks when there is a mask order in place. He still recognizes the difficulties of enforcing such an order, and acknowledges that there won't be 100% compliance, but most people are reasonable enough and will abide by it. In this, he has been proven correct, as mask-wearing rates have gone up dramatically in Colorado over the past week, like I've noted.

With Ohio now joining the mandatory mask train, that brings the number of states requiring them up to 29. We shall see if Ducey and DeSantis are soon forced to give way. I'm also curious to see what Governors like Noem, Reynolds, and Ricketts, who have been hostile to mask orders, will do moving forward.

Time for Abbott, DeSantis and Ducey to do the same. Probably Newsom as well.

Newsom made masks mandatory in California about a month ago, and Abbott made them mandatory a few weeks ago. But I agree with you about DeSantis and Ducey.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #4766 on: July 22, 2020, 04:46:58 PM »

I worked at a library for years, and would never even dream of demanding patrons wear masks.

That said, my views on this have evolved slightly in recent weeks. I'm willing to encourage coverings in certain very crowded, enclosed spaces, because I can see how it can be of some benefit in very tight spaces. But I would never make it a rigid requirement, and would instead focus on educating the public.

A bus that's standing room only would be a good example. Never outdoors.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #4767 on: July 22, 2020, 04:53:35 PM »

I worked at a library for years, and would never even dream of demanding patrons wear masks.

That said, my views on this have evolved slightly in recent weeks. I'm willing to encourage coverings in certain very crowded, enclosed spaces, because I can see how it can be of some benefit in very tight spaces. But I would never make it a rigid requirement, and would instead focus on educating the public.

The library system in my area made masks mandatory for all individuals at their locations a few weeks ago, before Polis issued his statewide mask mandate. And how has the mask mandate been playing out in your home state?
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #4768 on: July 22, 2020, 04:56:29 PM »

The library system in my area made masks mandatory for all individuals at their locations a few weeks ago, before Polis issued his statewide mask mandate. And how has the mask mandate been playing out in your home state?

Compliance with masks in Kentucky seems to be slightly less than 50/50.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #4769 on: July 22, 2020, 05:40:26 PM »
« Edited: July 22, 2020, 11:00:25 PM by Arch »

It looks like daily deaths >1,000 will be the norm this week. New daily case numbers also continue to rise relative to their day-to-day counterparts in the previous weeks. Things are getting considerably worse once more.
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #4770 on: July 22, 2020, 06:53:04 PM »

For all the stories we heard about the dire state of the health care system in Houston, Harris County still has an CFR of less than 1%.  They have twice the cases of Mahattan but only 1/5th of the deaths.  CFR in Bexar Country (San Antonio) is even lower.

The real disaster in Texas is Hidalgo County, at the Southern tip of the state.  They have a CFR around 3%, way higher than any of the major TX cities, with 49 new deaths just reported today.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4771 on: July 22, 2020, 07:43:36 PM »

Senate Republicans and the Trump White House have struck a deal on coronavirus testing, the details of which will be released tomorrow:

Senate GOP and White House strike deal on $16 billion for coronavirus testing

The White House and a key group of Senate GOP negotiators struck a deal on Wednesday for new coronavirus testing funds.

The forthcoming proposal, text of which is expected to be released Thursday, will provide $16 billion in new funding for coronavirus testing, Sen. Roy Blunt (R-Mo.), one of the negotiators, told reporters.

In addition to the new funds, another $9 billion from the $2.2 trillion CARES Act in March will be designated for testing.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #4772 on: July 22, 2020, 11:04:11 PM »

The updated numbers for COVID-19 in the U.S. are in for 7/22 per: https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

I'm keeping track of these updates daily and updating at the end of the day, whenever all states finish reporting for that day.

New - Substituting the Δ Change metric as of 7/13 on dates starting from 7/5:
ΔW Change: Comparisons of Weekly Day-to-day Growth or Decline of COVID-19 Spread/Deaths.
  • IE: Comparing the numbers to the same day of last week, are we flattening the curve enough?

Σ Increase: A day's contribution to overall percentage growth of COVID-19 cases/deaths.
  • IE: What's the overall change in the total?

Older Numbers (Hidden in spoiler mode to make the post more compact)

7/12: <Sunday>
  • Cases: 3,413,995 (+58,349 | ΔW Change: ↑23.73% | Σ Increase: ↑1.74%)
  • Deaths: 137,782 (+379 | ΔW Change: ↑51.00% | Σ Increase: ↑0.28%)

7/13: <M>
  • Cases: 3,479,483 (+65,488 | ΔW Change: ↑13.10% | Σ Increase: ↑1.74%)
  • Deaths: 138,247 (+465 | ΔW Change: ↑13.41% | Σ Increase: ↑0.28%)

7/14: <T>
  • Cases: 3,545,077 (+65,594 | ΔW Change: ↑16.61% | Σ Increase: ↑1.89%)
  • Deaths: 139,143 (+896 | ΔW Change: ↓9.77% | Σ Increase: ↑0.65%)

7/15: <W>
  • Cases: 3,616,747 (+71,670 | ΔW Change: ↑13.61% | Σ Increase: ↑2.02%)
  • Deaths: 140,140 (+997 | ΔW Change: ↑16.25% | Σ Increase: ↑0.72%)

7/16: <Þ>
  • Cases: 3,695,025 (+78,278 | ΔW Change: ↑27.77% | Σ Increase: ↑2.16%)
  • Deaths: 141,118 (+978 | ΔW Change: ↑1.03% | Σ Increase: ↑0.70%)

7/17: <F>
  • Cases: 3,770,012 (+74,987 | ΔW Change: ↑4.46% | Σ Increase: ↑2.03%)
  • Deaths: 142,064 (+946 | ΔW Change: ↑11.43% | Σ Increase: ↑0.67%)

7/18: <S>
  • Cases: 3,833,271 (+63,259 | ΔW Change: ↓0.94% | Σ Increase: ↑1.68%)
  • Deaths: 142,877 (+813 | ΔW Change: ↑11.07% | Σ Increase: ↑0.57%)

7/19: <Sunday>
  • Cases: 3,896,855 (+63,584 | ΔW Change: ↑8.97% | Σ Increase: ↑1.66%)
  • Deaths: 143,269 (+392 | ΔW Change: ↑3.43% | Σ Increase: ↑0.27%)

7/20: <M>
  • Cases: 3,961,429 (+64,574 | ΔW Change: ↓1.40% | Σ Increase: ↑1.66%)
  • Deaths: 143,834 (+565 | ΔW Change: ↑21.51% | Σ Increase: ↑0.39%)

7/21 (Yesterday): <T>
  • Cases: 4,028,569 (+67,140 | ΔW Change: ↑2.36% | Σ Increase: ↑1.69%)
  • Deaths: 144,953 (+1,119 | ΔW Change: ↑24.85% | Σ Increase: ↑0.78%)

7/22 (Today): <W>
  • Cases: 4,100,875 (+72,306 | ΔW Change: ↑0.89% | Σ Increase: ↑1.79%)
  • Deaths: 146,183 (+1,230 | ΔW Change: ↑23.37% | Σ Increase: ↑0.85%)
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #4773 on: July 23, 2020, 03:23:47 AM »

Well death toll is starting to spiral, I guess we’ll peak at 2K/day in a week
Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix
E: 0.10, S: 0.06

« Reply #4774 on: July 23, 2020, 03:25:30 AM »

Were you completely anti-mask before, Bandit?
Pages: 1 ... 186 187 188 189 190 [191] 192 193 194 195 196 ... 201  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies