COVID-19 Megathread 5: The Trumps catch COVID-19 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 05:16:58 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  COVID-19 Megathread 5: The Trumps catch COVID-19 (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5
Author Topic: COVID-19 Megathread 5: The Trumps catch COVID-19  (Read 266380 times)
Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix
E: 0.10, S: 0.06

« on: April 20, 2020, 07:01:14 AM »

My verysmall apartment building has only 6 units, amd one of those is for storage. Out of the 4 that aren't storage, last night one had a veruy small social gathering, one may or may not have had a guest over, and the third apartment had a guest over that then proceeded to visit the fourth apartment.

Canada is more culturally American than I ever cared to admit. Our stupidity and narcissism is unacceptably high
 Our prime minister needs to go on TV, out hus political career second and his country first, and tel these traitors in no uncertain terms that they will stop or they will be forced to stop. We haven't even flattened our curve yet.

Spies on neighbor
Sees guest
"TRAITORS!"

You should call 911 next time, Mrs. Kravitz. Maybe leave passive aggressive notes on their car like "I know what you did last sunday!" Cutting their tires limits them being in public. Write down their license plate # and doxx them to their boss ... I see it now "One of your employees isn't who you think ... he's actually a TRAITOR who went to a friend's house last night. Wait why are you laughing?"

If Justy goes on TV and says that you are a traitor who should be in jail for having company, expect laughter.

Respecting civil liberties vs. saving people from themselves is a sticky and complex issue.

I will note, though, that I contracted the virus from an interaction that was less than five minutes long and right on my "doorstep". 
Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2020, 08:57:05 AM »
« Edited: April 20, 2020, 09:00:55 AM by Penn_Quaker_Girl »

Look, all I know is that I'm running out of movies to watch -- just had to go deep into the bargain bin with Honey, We Shrunk Ourselves.  MAJOR problem here, folks. 

I could - y'know - study, but where's the fun in that?
Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2020, 10:25:12 AM »

New York City has shut down all non-essential events through June. 
Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2020, 09:09:54 AM »

Patrick went on: "There are more important things than living, and that's saving this country for my children and my grandchildren and saving this country for all of us.

"I don't want to die, nobody wants to die but man we have got to take some risk and get back in the game and get this country back up and running," he told the Tucker Carlson Tonight host.
Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2020, 07:45:02 AM »

I know most people on this forum come from households earning millions a year but...

What on Earth gives you that impression?

Yeah, this is news to me. 
Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2020, 12:00:13 PM »

Latest update to my firms efforts to get funding to get us through. We're doing reasonably well, amazingly enough, due to having laid off most of our staff. The amount of work I have I had assumed would run out by the end of the week for about 3 weeks now. However, I think this week might be it.

We were approved for a significant SBA loan, but the key word here is loan. This is not a PPP loan which can be forgiven and covers payroll, rent, health insurance, and one other major thing I can't remember. Our application for a PPP Grant was, I kid you not, lost by the SBA we discovered yesterday. It was all so infuriating to learn that apparently since the SBA was receiving 800 applications per hour, the bank's merely cherry-picked the biggest companies to Grant loans to. So small firms like mine got screwed, while taxpayer dollars went to places like Ruth's Chris Steakhouse. Small business support indeed!

Anyway, Congress apparently appropriated more money for the program yesterday so we are back in line for a grant ( or as Mister reactionary blithely refers to it "welfare checks". Roll Eyes Awfully cheeky coming from a guy whose paycheck is entirely taxpayer-funded). In the meantime my wife and I may very well have to apply for unemployment this weekend. :Sad

Hang in there, Badger!
Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2020, 06:50:53 AM »

CNBC reporting this morning that the weekly unemployment report (due at 0830 EST this morning) will yield some 4.3 million new unemployment claims during the week ending April-18th. 

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/04/22/another-4point3-million-workers-expected-to-have-filed-unemployment-claims.html

Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2020, 07:32:57 AM »

Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2020, 07:53:09 AM »
« Edited: April 23, 2020, 07:57:45 AM by Penn_Quaker_Girl »

26 million jobs lost in 1 month. I hope saving a few centenarians were worth it.

Silence sociopath.

Don't even bother.

While there are reasons to be concerned with the economic impacts of these sweeping stay-at-home orders, it drives me nuts when people marginalize the lives of others simply because of their ages. 
Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2020, 08:21:17 AM »
« Edited: April 23, 2020, 08:24:59 AM by Penn_Quaker_Girl »

26 million jobs lost in 1 month. I hope saving a few centenarians were worth it.

Silence sociopath.

Don't even bother.

While there are reasons to be concerned with the economic impacts of these sweeping stay-at-home orders, it drives me nuts when people marginalize the lives of others simply because of their ages.  

Cost benefit analysis. Happens all the time. Again, the world is brutal.

To that point, I undoubtedly look at this pandemic through the lens of a future healthcare professional and not an economist.

Our job is to do what we can to treat the ill and prevent further illness, regardless of age, prognosis, etc.  

At this stage, fully and immediately opening up the economy hinders those efforts.   
Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2020, 08:38:27 AM »

Silence sociopath.

Don't even bother.

Cost benefit analysis. Happens all the time. Again, the world is brutal.

PQG, do you think that this guy wants the 'rona? Do you think he would enjoy it? I think he thinks its exchanging the sniffles for a chance to find work. Does he even work, anyway?

Egh, DTT's personal life aside -- doesn't matter if he's a self-made billionaire or living entirely off of gov't assistance, we clearly disagree on a very fundamental level about the response to this pandemic. 
Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2020, 09:37:07 AM »

Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2020, 06:28:43 AM »

"I see the disenfectant knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we could do something like that? By... injection inside or... almost a cleaning, cause you see it gets in the lungs and it does a tremendous number and so I'd be interested to check that"

Denaturation and oxidation of healthy living cells.  Throwing off the very delicate pH balance of the blood and potentially inducing metabolic alkalosis.  A cascade of alkali necrosis as the agent enters the bloodstream.  

Good. Lord.  

Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2020, 10:21:16 AM »

Why is no one taliing about the fact that remdesivir has been proven to be snake oil?

Outside of Wallstreet I think most people were skeptical of this drug.

Not from what I saw. Everyone from the medi to this very forum was hyping it up as the treat ment that would absolutely, 100% work.

Now it's a proven failure. Trials with it should be healted so we don't waste time and Gilead should be investigated by the SEC for market manipulation.
What on earth are you talking about? No one — on this forum, in the medical community, anywhere — claimed remdesivir was a 100% perfect cure. There are limited data from one small study in China suggesting it does not work; there are some data from a (less-rigorous) study in Chicago suggesting it does; there are several other studies, run by both Gilead and unaffiliated groups, that have not published any results yet. It's extremely dumb to look at the results of one (imperfect) study and conclude that the drug is not only conclusively ineffective, but a scam designed to raise stock prices.

We will find an effective treatment.  We have some of the most brilliant minds in medical research pouring hours and hours and hours into just that. 

But it's important to recognize that it may not come as a flip-of-the-switch-cure. 

Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2020, 01:48:00 PM »

"I see the disenfectant knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we could do something like that? By... injection inside or... almost a cleaning, cause you see it gets in the lungs and it does a tremendous number and so I'd be interested to check that"

Denaturation and oxidation of healthy living cells.  Throwing off the very delicate pH balance of the blood and potentially inducing metabolic alkalosis.  A cascade of alkali necrosis as the agent enters the bloodstream.  

Good. Lord.  

You are Fake news!!!!

I can't tell if this is ironic or not. If it is, bravo. If not, consider that you've just told a med student that she's fake news.

He's right.  I should have said "hyperchloremic alkalosis". 
Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2020, 03:54:11 PM »

Why is it when the President suggests drinking hand sanitizer he's an "innovative genius", but when I drink hand sanitizer I'm an "alcoholic" who "has a drinking problem?"

She said she likes to laugh, but when I show up at her house dressed as a clown at 10pm, it's all screaming and police. 
Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2020, 05:19:56 PM »

Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2020, 06:27:43 AM »
« Edited: April 25, 2020, 06:40:14 AM by Penn_Quaker_Girl »

Apparently the federal government is essentially running a blockade on PPE, making it difficult for states and municipalities to get the supplies they need.

Here's a letter from the New England Journal of Medicine, and I'll share a few bits from it:
Deals, some bizarre and convoluted, and many involving large sums of money, have dissolved at the last minute when we were outbid or outmuscled, sometimes by the federal government. Then we got lucky, but getting the supplies was not easy.

...Two semi-trailer trucks, cleverly marked as food-service vehicles, met us at the warehouse. When fully loaded, the trucks would take two distinct routes back to Massachusetts to minimize the chances that their contents would be detained or redirected.

...I was soon shocked to learn that the Department of Homeland Security was still considering redirecting our PPE. Only some quick calls leading to intervention by our congressional representative prevented its seizure.

Firefighters in Miami were not so lucky, and had their shipment taken by the feds.
If Onama was doing this to American citizens instead of Trump, there would be viral videos on the news right now of Republican voters calling Obama the N word and threatening him with violence. You know I'm right.

Frankly, I miss President Onama.  
Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2020, 07:12:59 PM »

I decipher this as meaning that he's gonna stop giving coronavirus press briefings from now on? Well, thank God if this is the case.

He's taking his ball and going home. 
Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2020, 07:10:45 AM »

(Reuters) - Oklahoma's governor has called on U.S. President Donald Trump to declare the coronavirus pandemic an "act of God," a step to help oil-producing states contend with a crude glut that caused futures prices to close below $0 last week for the first time.

Source.

We gonna pray on this one y’all. Praise be to Christ.

Imagine Trump having to acknowledge that God sent a plague to the U.S. because we elected Trump.

If you believe in signs from God, sending a plague and depression in the year Trump is up for reelection is a pretty strong message. Wink
It could have been Trump, it could have been Billie Eilish sweeping the Grammys. Maybe Bernie losing the primary was the last straw. It's hard to say.

What? Not a Billie Eilish fan, King TC? Tongue

Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2020, 03:07:44 PM »

From the article:

That has enabled them to leap ahead and schedule tests of their new coronavirus vaccine involving more than 6,000 people by the end of next month, hoping to show not only that it is safe, but also that it works.

The Oxford scientists now say that with an emergency approval from regulators, the first few million doses of their vaccine could be available by September — at least several months ahead of any of the other announced efforts — if it proves to be effective.

Fun-Fact: Debates about animal testing aside (I'm not a big fan, but reluctantly understand the reasoning), Rhesus Monkeys share about ninety-five percent of genetic material with humans - hence why they're so often used in testing. 
Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2020, 05:31:25 AM »

Morning, y'all!

Went to the doctor yesterday and have been given a clean bill of health! Also volunteered to have some blood drawn that Penn will use for antibody research.  

Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2020, 07:47:48 AM »

Morning, y'all!

Went to the doctor yesterday and have been given a clean bill of health! Also volunteered to have some blood drawn that Penn will use for antibody research.  

Good to hear!

Btw. Do you just need to be the same/or other but compatible blood type as the receiver for someone to receive your blood, or is it like with organ transplants and more things come into play?

Blood transfusions are less complex than organ transplants.  With blood transfusions, the main considerations are the presence/lack of A/B antigens, A/B antibodies, and Rhesus proteins (rh-positive vs. rh-negative).  The different permutations with these factors produce the various blood types.  It's important to try and get these factors as close as possible to the donor. 

With organ transplant, not only does ABO-compatability and rh compatability need to be considered, but also the HLA testing (human leukocyte antigen) -- how compatible the actual tissues are between donor and recipient -- as well as blood tests that are part of something called serum crossmatching. 

As I said, this is super basic and doesn't even begin to scratch the surface of the actual mechanisms behind blood transfusions vs. organ transplants. 
Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2020, 08:06:14 AM »

Morning, y'all!

do you did two consecutives negative test? or just clinically recovered?

Clinically recovered for now, awaiting the results of a second test. 
Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2020, 09:03:35 AM »

Morning, y'all!

Congratulations.

They don't mind that you've had malaria? I don't think i can donate blood in Australia because of either my previous malaria or working in Africa. Maybe there is a time limit.

It's for lab purposes, not donation. 
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies