COVID-19 Megathread 6: Return of the Omicron
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 09:11:56 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  COVID-19 Megathread 6: Return of the Omicron
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 55 56 57 [58] 59 60 61 62 63 ... 456
Poll
Question: ?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 115

Author Topic: COVID-19 Megathread 6: Return of the Omicron  (Read 536393 times)
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1425 on: November 15, 2020, 12:05:05 PM »

It's very frustrating being in a blue city where people take COVID19 measures seriously. Virtually everyone I see wears a mask (even outdoors), practices distancing etc. And yet we'll lock down and red states won't. At some point it's not sustainable to have such a spotty response. For our mental health included.
Don’t worry!
It just means your future healthcare costs will be lower!
Progressive
jro660

« Reply #1426 on: November 15, 2020, 12:19:30 PM »

It's very frustrating being in a blue city where people take COVID19 measures seriously. Virtually everyone I see wears a mask (even outdoors), practices distancing etc. And yet we'll lock down and red states won't. At some point it's not sustainable to have such a spotty response. For our mental health included.
Don’t worry!
It just means your future healthcare costs will be lower!

Lol yes when it's 2022 and we're still locked down it will be a pleasure to pay my health care goblins a little bit less Smiley
Fargobison

« Reply #1427 on: November 15, 2020, 02:00:53 PM »

is this a scorched earth policy? Biden entering with 2k dead per day and uncontrolled spread in 48 states?

He did help to get an effective vaccine so not completely scorched Earth, hopefully operation warp speed ends up being the best accomplishment of his presidency.

That said, we should be locking down in some areas right now but that will never happen without another stimulus and him actively pushing for more restrictive measures. So Biden is going to take over in a dark place but we could have a quarter of the population vaccinated a month into his term.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1428 on: November 15, 2020, 02:51:08 PM »

How did Trump help to get a vaccine?
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #1429 on: November 15, 2020, 02:56:00 PM »
« Edited: November 15, 2020, 03:01:07 PM by Fmr. Gov. NickG »

The reality is that a vast majority of people would be better off getting the virus than being forced to shut down the economy, or uphend their daily lives in other ways.  So it might be fair to call people who oppose further restrictions selfish, but it is not necessarily fair to call them stupid.  

And we should have been crafting a national response that acknowledges this reality from the outset, rather than just trying to gin up uniform fear of the virus that anyone who has seen the basic statistics behind is knows is misleading.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #1430 on: November 15, 2020, 04:14:37 PM »

The reality is that a vast majority of people would be better off getting the virus than being forced to shut down the economy, or uphend their daily lives in other ways.  So it might be fair to call people who oppose further restrictions selfish, but it is not necessarily fair to call them stupid.  

And we should have been crafting a national response that acknowledges this reality from the outset, rather than just trying to gin up uniform fear of the virus that anyone who has seen the basic statistics behind is knows is misleading.

We'll see how well your sacred economy will hold up once the healthcare system collapses and the mortality rate skyrockets.

Ignorance at its finest.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1431 on: November 15, 2020, 04:16:50 PM »

We'll see how well your sacred economy will hold up once the healthcare system collapses and the mortality rate skyrockets.

Ignorance at its finest.

Both of you make very good points. This is real quagmire.
Darthpi – Anti-Florida Activist
darthpi
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -6.87

P P P
« Reply #1432 on: November 15, 2020, 05:11:14 PM »

Considering how it is already well established that COVID can cause lung damage and other long-term problems, you would be condemning literally tens of millions of people to reduced lifespans and quality of life.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1433 on: November 15, 2020, 06:40:16 PM »

Put your money where your mouth is and deliberately infect yourself.
Also don’t use hospital services no matter what because you need to simulate the inevitable collapse if we did pursue your strategy.
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #1434 on: November 15, 2020, 08:33:33 PM »

Also don’t use hospital services no matter what because you need to simulate the inevitable collapse if we did pursue your strategy.

I don't even know how I would go about doing this.  And I certainly wouldn't want to infect anyone else in the process.  That's the problem.

I do believe that we would have arrived at a much better outcome by pursuing a strategy of controlled voluntary infection and quarantine.  As long as infections and quarantining were done under close medical supervision, we could have cut infections to vulnerable populations to a small fraction of what they were, and in the process used far less hospital resources are produced far fewer deaths.

Of course, there's really no hope for that now; we just have to wait around for a vaccine.
But even if you can't see the argument for voluntary infection to produce herd immunity, I hope most people can agree that it was absolutely criminal that we weren't conducting human challenge trial to speed up vaccine production.  This is easily the worst and most obvious mistake that we have collective made throughout the entire pandemic.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1435 on: November 15, 2020, 08:35:03 PM »

I don't even know how I would go about doing this.  And I certainly wouldn't want to infect anyone else in the process.  That's the problem.

I do believe that we would have arrived at a much better outcome by pursuing a strategy of controlled voluntary infection and quarantine.  As long as infections and quarantining were done under close medical supervision, we could have cut infections to vulnerable populations to a small fraction of what they were, and in the process used far less hospital resources are produced far fewer deaths.

Of course, there's really no hope for that now; we just have to wait around for a vaccine.
But even if you can't see the argument for voluntary infection to produce herd immunity, I hope most people can agree that it was absolutely criminal that we weren't conducting human challenge trial to speed up vaccine production.  This is easily the worst and most obvious mistake that we have collective made throughout the entire pandemic.
I’m guessing there were ethical concerns, although I don’t really understand either.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #1436 on: November 15, 2020, 09:02:39 PM »

The updated numbers for COVID-19 in the U.S. are in for 11/15 per: https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

I'm keeping track of these updates daily and updating at the end of the day, whenever all states finish reporting for that day.

ΔW Change: Comparisons of Weekly Day-to-day Growth or Decline of COVID-19 Spread/Deaths.
  • IE: Comparing the numbers to the same day of last week, are we flattening the curve enough?

Σ Increase: A day's contribution to overall percentage growth of COVID-19 cases/deaths.
  • IE: What's the overall change in the total?

Older Numbers (Hidden in spoiler mode to make the post more compact)

11/8: <Sunday>
  • Cases: 10,288,480 (+105,662 | ΔW Change: ↑48.15% | Σ Increase: ↑1.04%)
  • Deaths: 243,768 (+511 | ΔW Change: ↑28.07% | Σ Increase: ↑0.21%)

11/9: <M>
  • Cases: 10,421,956 (+133,476 | ΔW Change: ↑43.22% | Σ Increase: ↑1.30%)
  • Deaths: 244,448 (+680 | ΔW Change: ↑32.81% | Σ Increase: ↑0.28%)

11/10: <T>
  • Cases: 10,559,184 (+137,228 | ΔW Change: ↑8.46% | Σ Increase: ↑1.32%)
  • Deaths: 245,799 (+1,351 | ΔW Change: ↓19.25% | Σ Increase: ↑0.55%)

11/11: <W>
  • Cases: 10,708,728 (+149,544 | ΔW Change: ↑38.82% | Σ Increase: ↑1.42%)
  • Deaths: 247,398 (+1,599 | ΔW Change: ↑36.32% | Σ Increase: ↑0.65%)

11/12: <Þ>
  • Cases: 10,873,936 (+165,208 | ΔW Change: ↑39.81% | Σ Increase: ↑1.54%)
  • Deaths: 248,585 (+1,187 | ΔW Change: ↑5.60% | Σ Increase: ↑0.48%)

11/13: <F>
  • Cases: 11,064,364 (+190,428 | ΔW Change: ↑36.94% | Σ Increase: ↑1.75%)
  • Deaths: 249,975 (+1,390 | ΔW Change: ↑8.85% | Σ Increase: ↑0.56%)

11/14 (Yesterday): <S>
  • Cases: 11,226,038 (+161,674 | ΔW Change: ↑30.14% | Σ Increase: ↑1.46%)
  • Deaths: 251,256 (+1,281 | ΔW Change: ↑24.73% | Σ Increase: ↑0.51%)

11/15 (Today): <Sunday>
  • Cases: 11,366,379 (+140,341 | ΔW Change: ↑32.82% | Σ Increase: ↑1.25%)
  • Deaths: 251,832 (+576 | ΔW Change: ↑12.72% | Σ Increase: ↑0.23%)
Fargobison

« Reply #1437 on: November 15, 2020, 09:26:54 PM »

Well billions and billions of dollars have been flushed into various companies to develop a vaccine and billions more to distribute it. That did help.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1438 on: November 15, 2020, 10:49:57 PM »

I know there's a delay but deaths don't seem to be going up as much as I would have thought by now...we've been exponential or nearly for a few weeks. It was similar in the summer.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1439 on: November 16, 2020, 12:57:18 AM »

I know there's a delay but deaths don't seem to be going up as much as I would have thought by now...we've been exponential or nearly for a few weeks. It was similar in the summer.
Better treatments+more testing+lag.
Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #1440 on: November 16, 2020, 07:33:23 AM »
« Edited: November 16, 2020, 07:51:36 AM by Russian Bear »

Thank you, President Trump! Thank you, Big Greedy Pharma!
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1441 on: November 16, 2020, 08:29:40 AM »

Omega21

« Reply #1442 on: November 16, 2020, 08:37:02 AM »

I mean, at this point we can't blame people...

Humans are social by nature, and unless the very old and sick are present, I'm fine with people celebrating their holidays together in private.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #1443 on: November 16, 2020, 08:47:17 AM »

Humans are social by nature, and unless the very old and sick are present, I'm fine with people celebrating their holidays together in private.
Sad...
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1444 on: November 16, 2020, 08:58:34 AM »

While many of us intellectually realize this already, there's something about seeing it laid out that helps the magnitude of the disaster facing us in the final days of a President who has completely abandoned his responsibilities.
Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #1445 on: November 16, 2020, 09:18:23 AM »

Of Europe's top 5 largest economies, only Germany is way better than US.
Cumulative deaths/capita as for Nov 15

Spain 866 death per million
UK 775
Italy 741
US 720
France 660

Germany 150.

As of new deaths France and Italy has each 3 times more a day than US>>

All of these countries has been hit economically way harder than US.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #1446 on: November 16, 2020, 09:22:16 AM »
« Edited: November 16, 2020, 09:25:33 AM by ilikeverin »

Because in much of the US right now, in a group of 10 randomly selected adults, it's more likely than not that at least one of them will have COVID, and, during the course of the meal, will infect the other nine.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #1447 on: November 16, 2020, 09:39:12 AM »

Because in much of the US right now, in a group of 10 randomly selected adults, it's more likely than not that at least one of them will have COVID, and, during the course of the meal, will infect the other nine.

So that means we should all be planning on having a distanced Thanksgiving?
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #1448 on: November 16, 2020, 09:47:50 AM »

So that means we should all be planning on having a distanced Thanksgiving?
Yes. Or no Thanksgiving at all.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1449 on: November 16, 2020, 09:49:16 AM »

Mr. Trump plans to take credit for vaccine again.

Pages: 1 ... 53 54 55 56 57 [58] 59 60 61 62 63 ... 456  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies