COVID-19 Megathread 6: Return of the Omicron
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 20, 2024, 01:00:47 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  COVID-19 Megathread 6: Return of the Omicron
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 ... 456
Poll
Question: ?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 115

Author Topic: COVID-19 Megathread 6: Return of the Omicron  (Read 542154 times)
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #400 on: August 26, 2020, 10:51:33 AM »

I eagerly await for Del Tachi to find some excuse for this atrocious and horrifying move.

Or you can just read the actual CDC guidance for yourself... (hard to do, I know Sad )

A negative test does not mean that you will not develop an infection from the close contact or contract an infection at a later time.  Testing asymptomatic individuals early after a confirmed contact may produce a false sense of security if the test returns negative.  The CDC still recommends that those exposed to a confirmed case take appropriate mitigation actions (like isolating for 14 days), even in the absence of a positive test.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #401 on: August 26, 2020, 12:12:31 PM »

I eagerly await for Del Tachi to find some excuse for this atrocious and horrifying move.

Or you can just read the actual CDC guidance for yourself... (hard to do, I know Sad )

A negative test does not mean that you will not develop an infection from the close contact or contract an infection at a later time.  Testing asymptomatic individuals early after a confirmed contact may produce a false sense of security if the test returns negative.  The CDC still recommends that those exposed to a confirmed case take appropriate mitigation actions (like isolating for 14 days), even in the absence of a positive test.
Wow, you really do lack creative thinking skills.
The advice should be, get tested and isolate even if negative. Of course, I suppose two step instructions might be too difficult for certain people.
It is important to know where the virus is spreading, believe it or not.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #402 on: August 26, 2020, 12:16:32 PM »

Interesting poll results here:

Looks like Black women and Latinas are going hard for Trump.
Nah, anti-science stances have been too common among both racial groups for a while now.
For Black Americans, the Tuskegee experiment probably played a role in this.
They will still vote Democrat in most cases.
The people who are not wearing masks in my city tend to be either Black, or Hispanic (usually the second because of sheer numbers relative to the first) It is a shame because Covid-19 is more likely to cause severe illness in these groups.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #403 on: August 26, 2020, 12:18:50 PM »

Both testing numbers in total and positivity rates have dropped (the first is a bad thing, the second is good)
There are several possible explanations for this change, but it still is interesting to see.

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/testing/individual-states
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #404 on: August 26, 2020, 12:33:30 PM »

CDC was pressured 'from the top down' to change coronavirus testing guidance, official says

A sudden change in federal guidelines on coronavirus testing came this week as a result of pressure from the upper ranks of the Trump administration, a federal health official close to the process tells CNN.

"It's coming from the top down," the official said of the new directive from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

The new guidelines raise the bar on who should get tested, advising that some people without symptoms probably don't need it -- even if they've been in close contact with an infected person.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/26/politics/cdc-coronavirus-testing-guidance/index.html
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #405 on: August 26, 2020, 08:09:46 PM »

COVID-19 cases among children surge in Georgia

The number of Georgians under the age of 18 diagnosed with COVID-19 has jumped 65% in the past month, with more than 21,000 testing positive since March.
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #406 on: August 26, 2020, 09:21:00 PM »

This whole pandemic has brought out the worst in people.

Republicans are constantly attacking and even assaulting and sometimes murdering retail workers over mask mandates.

Some people feel entitled to permanent government checks and even many refuse to go back to work even if called back.

Privileged people are just flaunting and showing off their privilege.

Some people are screaming to everyone to "WORK FROM HOME!!" even to people who can not work from home!

Its just all becoming nonsense.

Draconian lockdowns from the left are all about power not about health. I dont see any democratic governor doing what online liberals propose on this.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #407 on: August 26, 2020, 10:06:01 PM »

Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #408 on: August 26, 2020, 11:08:32 PM »

The updated numbers for COVID-19 in the U.S. are in for 8/26 per: https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

I'm keeping track of these updates daily and updating at the end of the day, whenever all states finish reporting for that day.

New - Substituting the Δ Change metric as of 7/13 on dates starting from 7/5:
ΔW Change: Comparisons of Weekly Day-to-day Growth or Decline of COVID-19 Spread/Deaths.
  • IE: Comparing the numbers to the same day of last week, are we flattening the curve enough?

Σ Increase: A day's contribution to overall percentage growth of COVID-19 cases/deaths.
  • IE: What's the overall change in the total?

Older Numbers (Hidden in spoiler mode to make the post more compact)

8/16: <Sunday>
  • Cases: 5,566,632 (+36,843 | ΔW Change: ↓25.90% | Σ Increase: ↑0.67%)
  • Deaths: 173,128 (+522 | ΔW Change: ↓4.57% | Σ Increase: ↑0.30%)

8/17: <M>
  • Cases: 5,612,027 (+45,395 | ΔW Change: ↓12.71% | Σ Increase: ↑0.82%)
  • Deaths: 173,716 (+588 | ΔW Change: ↑2.26% | Σ Increase: ↑0.34%)

8/18: <T>
  • Cases: 5,655,974 (+43,947 | ΔW Change: ↓19.38% | Σ Increase: ↑0.82%)
  • Deaths: 175,074 (+1,358 | ΔW Change: ↓12.78% | Σ Increase: ↑0.78%)

8/19: <W>
  • Cases: 5,700,931 (+44,957 | ΔW Change: ↓17.27% | Σ Increase: ↑0.79%)
  • Deaths: 176,337 (+1,263 | ΔW Change: ↓8.61% | Σ Increase: ↑0.72%)

8/20: <Þ>
  • Cases: 5,746,272 (+45,341 | ΔW Change: ↓18.10% | Σ Increase: ↑0.80%)
  • Deaths: 177,424 (+1,087 | ΔW Change: ↓2.95% | Σ Increase: ↑0.62%)

8/21: <F>
  • Cases: 5,796,727 (+50,455 | ΔW Change: ↓16.74% | Σ Increase: ↑0.88%)
  • Deaths: 179,200 (+1,776 | ΔW Change: ↑58.57% | Σ Increase: ↑1.00%)

8/22: <S>
  • Cases: 5,841,428 (+44,701| ΔW Change: ↓20.92% | Σ Increase: ↑0.77%)
  • Deaths: 180,174 (+974 | ΔW Change: ↓9.06% | Σ Increase: ↑0.54%)

8/23: <Sunday>
  • Cases: 5,874,146 (+32,718| ΔW Change: ↓11.20% | Σ Increase: ↑0.56%)
  • Deaths: 180,604 (+430 | ΔW Change: ↓17.62% | Σ Increase: ↑0.24%)

8/24: <M>
  • Cases: 5,915,630 (+41,484| ΔW Change: ↓8.62% | Σ Increase: ↑0.71%)
  • Deaths: 181,114 (+510 | ΔW Change: ↓13.27% | Σ Increase: ↑0.28%)

8/25 (Yesterday): <T>
  • Cases: 5,955,728 (+40,098| ΔW Change: ↓8.76% | Σ Increase: ↑0.68%)
  • Deaths: 182,404 (+1,290 | ΔW Change: ↓5.01% | Σ Increase: ↑0.71%)

8/26 (Today): <W>
  • Cases: 6,000,365 (+44,637| ΔW Change: ↓0.71% | Σ Increase: ↑0.75%)
  • Deaths: 183,653 (+1,249 | ΔW Change: ↓1.11% | Σ Increase: ↑0.68%)
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #409 on: August 27, 2020, 01:35:54 AM »

Maybe those of us saying that classes have to be remote for now (even if that’s not at all ideal) had a point? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #410 on: August 27, 2020, 08:01:48 AM »

Maybe those of us saying that classes have to be remote for now (even if that’s not at all ideal) had a point? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Kids in my district are being forced back into high schools that have already had a confirmed student case. The lab experiment is going great!
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #411 on: August 27, 2020, 09:38:02 AM »

I'm out of university for almost a decade and don't have kids at school, so I'm not pretending to exactly know how things are going on the ground, but the problem with remote lessons is mostly infrastructure. Not all teachers have sufficient training with technical issues, let alone kids and their parents. Particularly in low income households. A small percentage might not even have internet access. Business as usual in schools for sure is irresponsible in the situation we're in, but I'm more than skeptical remote lessons can sort of replace schooling.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #412 on: August 27, 2020, 10:34:58 AM »

I'm out of university for almost a decade and don't have kids at school, so I'm not pretending to exactly know how things are going on the ground, but the problem with remote lessons is mostly infrastructure. Not all teachers have sufficient training with technical issues, let alone kids and their parents. Particularly in low income households. A small percentage might not even have internet access. Business as usual in schools for sure is irresponsible in the situation we're in, but I'm more than skeptical remote lessons can sort of replace schooling.

They can't fully replace schooling, which is why it's very far from ideal. It's basically the least bad solution, since a lot of schools just don't have the resources, space, or time in the day to provide in-person learning with distance. There are just so many hidden forms of contact and normal activities in school that can lead very quickly to an outbreak. It's only really possible if it's in an area that has virtually no cases and is pretty isolated. In areas which have a high positivity rate, schools often just have to close again after a day or two because outbreaks happen almost immediately. Teachers and union members in my district spent pretty much all spring and summer discussing the possibility of opening in the fall, and there were many potential risk factors that no one could come up with a solution for. Then, of course, cases went way up, and there was no question that we couldn't open schools yet.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #413 on: August 27, 2020, 11:16:58 AM »

They can't fully replace schooling, which is why it's very far from ideal. It's basically the least bad solution, since a lot of schools just don't have the resources, space, or time in the day to provide in-person learning with distance. There are just so many hidden forms of contact and normal activities in school that can lead very quickly to an outbreak. It's only really possible if it's in an area that has virtually no cases and is pretty isolated. In areas which have a high positivity rate, schools often just have to close again after a day or two because outbreaks happen almost immediately. Teachers and union members in my district spent pretty much all spring and summer discussing the possibility of opening in the fall, and there were many potential risk factors that no one could come up with a solution for. Then, of course, cases went way up, and there was no question that we couldn't open schools yet.

I was unsure at first but then I agreed online schooling made more sense. However why are certain teacher unions opposing online live learning? Shouldn't the point be to make it as normal as possible?
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #414 on: August 27, 2020, 11:23:17 AM »

The problem with "distance learning" isn't that teachers don't know how to use Zoom.
The problem is that 6-year olds absolutely should not be staring at a computer screen for 5 hours a day.
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #415 on: August 27, 2020, 12:20:56 PM »

It looks like the surge in infections has moved to the Plains and upper Midwest, while cases in FL/AZ/TX/NV continue to decline rapidly.

Kansas set a new record for daily cases yesterday, and it looks like Iowa, Minnesota, and North Dakota have already set new records for cases today.
Darthpi – Anti-Florida Activist
darthpi
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -6.87

P P P
« Reply #416 on: August 27, 2020, 01:33:49 PM »

The problem with "distance learning" isn't that teachers don't know how to use Zoom.
The problem is that 6-year olds absolutely should not be staring at a computer screen for 5 hours a day.

The problem is that there is literally no good way to do education during a pandemic, and until we actually get the pandemic fully under control that is going to remain the case.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #417 on: August 27, 2020, 01:34:22 PM »

Welp, I would say I called the Midwest jump, but it was only two weeks ago so the writing kinda was on the wall.
Tbh I’m now concerned about a potential wave in the PNW this fall, especially Oregon.  They have competent leadership, but that only does so much when most of the States do not. Also my prediction of a Rocky Mountain surge (CO, MT, WY, ID, and UT) still is pending. Will be interesting to see how right/wrong my takes were in retrospect. Oh well, at least I’m not Del Tachi.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #418 on: August 27, 2020, 01:44:03 PM »

I was unsure at first but then I agreed online schooling made more sense. However why are certain teacher unions opposing online live learning? Shouldn't the point be to make it as normal as possible?

I can't speak for other districts, but in my district, one issue that comes up a lot is that not all students have consistent access to high speed internet, and thus wouldn't be able to attend hour-long classes via video call. Our union didn't oppose this setup per se, but they did try to pressure the district to create a plan to get laptops to all students, since the district wasn't being clear on that.

That's why we have professional development in our meetings before school starts to get teachers who don't know how to use the technology up to date. It's also why we make a schedule that gives students (especially younger ones) regular breaks and encourages activities which get students doing something away from the computer for a while. As I said, it's not a "good" solution, but putting students' lives as well as the lives of teachers, subs, instructional assistants, para professionals, administrators, and other educational staff at risk (not to mention those in their family as well) is a far worse one.
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #419 on: August 27, 2020, 01:47:29 PM »

Basically everywhere is eventually going to see a surge in cases until they reach herd immunity.
Fortunately, many scientists now believe that herd immunity may be reached at about a 20% infection rate:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/the_americas/brazil-coronavirus-manaus-herd-immunity/2020/08/23/0eccda40-d80e-11ea-930e-d88518c57dcc_story.html
WD
Western Democrat
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -0.35

« Reply #420 on: August 27, 2020, 01:49:34 PM »

I can't speak for other districts, but in my district, one issue that comes up a lot is that not all students have consistent access to high speed internet, and thus wouldn't be able to attend hour-long classes via video call. Our union didn't oppose this setup per se, but they did try to pressure the district to create a plan to get laptops to all students, since the district wasn't being clear on that.

That's why we have professional development in our meetings before school starts to get teachers who don't know how to use the technology up to date. It's also why we make a schedule that gives students (especially younger ones) regular breaks and encourages activities which get students doing something away from the computer for a while. As I said, it's not a "good" solution, but putting students' lives as well as the lives of teachers, subs, instructional assistants, para professionals, administrators, and other educational staff at risk (not to mention those in their family as well) is a far worse one.

As a teacher, (I assume you are, sorry if thats a dumb question), do you think its possible that in-person teacher may resume sometime in 2021?
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #421 on: August 27, 2020, 02:05:11 PM »

I'm doing in-person teaching right now (albeit at the college level).

I can't see why this would be objectionable as long as both the students and the teachers have to option to elect distance learning if they feel that they or members of their family are especially vulnerable to the virus.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #422 on: August 27, 2020, 03:01:35 PM »

I'm doing in-person teaching right now (albeit at the college level).

I can't see why this would be objectionable as long as both the students and the teachers have to option to elect distance learning if they feel that they or members of their family are especially vulnerable to the virus.
If you actually offer an option that allows students to take the classes they would have taken in person (with some obvious exceptions) then yes, that would be great. In my school district, about half the classes in-person are not offered online, even when it is easily possible for many of them.
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #423 on: August 27, 2020, 03:33:25 PM »

I don't know what's going on with some of the case numbers the past couple days.  South Dakota is also reporting a new record number of cases with 623.  Their previous record was 251, and yesterday they reported 66.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #424 on: August 27, 2020, 03:36:12 PM »

Sometimes people who get fired have bad things to say about their former boss.  More at 11. 
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 ... 456  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies