COVID-19 Megathread 6: Return of the Omicron
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 06:49:56 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  COVID-19 Megathread 6: Return of the Omicron
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28 ... 456
Poll
Question: ?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 115

Author Topic: COVID-19 Megathread 6: Return of the Omicron  (Read 541376 times)
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #550 on: September 03, 2020, 08:17:36 AM »

The updated numbers for COVID-19 in the U.S. are in for 9/2 per: https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

I'm keeping track of these updates daily and updating at the end of the day, whenever all states finish reporting for that day.

New - Substituting the Δ Change metric as of 7/13 on dates starting from 7/5:
ΔW Change: Comparisons of Weekly Day-to-day Growth or Decline of COVID-19 Spread/Deaths.
  • IE: Comparing the numbers to the same day of last week, are we flattening the curve enough?

Σ Increase: A day's contribution to overall percentage growth of COVID-19 cases/deaths.
  • IE: What's the overall change in the total?

Older Numbers (Hidden in spoiler mode to make the post more compact)

8/23: <Sunday>
  • Cases: 5,874,146 (+32,718| ΔW Change: ↓11.20% | Σ Increase: ↑0.56%)
  • Deaths: 180,604 (+430 | ΔW Change: ↓17.62% | Σ Increase: ↑0.24%)

8/24: <M>
  • Cases: 5,915,630 (+41,484| ΔW Change: ↓8.62% | Σ Increase: ↑0.71%)
  • Deaths: 181,114 (+510 | ΔW Change: ↓13.27% | Σ Increase: ↑0.28%)

8/25: <T>
  • Cases: 5,955,728 (+40,098| ΔW Change: ↓8.76% | Σ Increase: ↑0.68%)
  • Deaths: 182,404 (+1,290 | ΔW Change: ↓5.01% | Σ Increase: ↑0.71%)

8/26: <W>
  • Cases: 6,000,365 (+44,637| ΔW Change: ↓0.71% | Σ Increase: ↑0.75%)
  • Deaths: 183,653 (+1,249 | ΔW Change: ↓1.11% | Σ Increase: ↑0.68%)

8/27: <Þ>
  • Cases: 6,046,634 (+46,269| ΔW Change: ↑2.05% | Σ Increase: ↑0.77%)
  • Deaths: 184,796 (+1,143 | ΔW Change: ↑5.15% | Σ Increase: ↑0.62%)

8/28: <F>
  • Cases: 6,096,235 (+49,601| ΔW Change: ↓1.69% | Σ Increase: ↑0.82%)
  • Deaths: 185,901 (+1,105 | ΔW Change: ↓37.78% | Σ Increase: ↑0.60%)

8/29: <S>
  • Cases: 6,139,078 (+42,843| ΔW Change: ↓4.16% | Σ Increase: ↑0.70%)
  • Deaths: 186,855 (+954 | ΔW Change: ↓2.05% | Σ Increase: ↑0.51%)

8/30: <Sunday>
  • Cases: 6,173,236 (+34,158| ΔW Change: ↑4.40% | Σ Increase: ↑0.56%)
  • Deaths: 187,224 (+369 | ΔW Change: ↓14.19% | Σ Increase: ↑0.20%)

8/31: <M>
  • Cases: 6,211,682 (+38,446| ΔW Change: ↓7.32% | Σ Increase: ↑0.62%)
  • Deaths: 187,736 (+512 | ΔW Change: ↑0.39% | Σ Increase: ↑0.27%)

9/1 (Yesterday): <T>
  • Cases: 6,257,571 (+45,889| ΔW Change: ↑14.44% | Σ Increase: ↑0.74%)
  • Deaths: 188,900 (+1,164 | ΔW Change: ↓9.77% | Σ Increase: ↑0.62%)

9/2 (Today): <W>
  • Cases: 6,290,737 (+33,166| ΔW Change: ↓25.70% | Σ Increase: ↑0.53%)
  • Deaths: 189,964 (+1,064 | ΔW Change: ↓14.81% | Σ Increase: ↑0.56%)

So can we characterize deaths as trending down now, or are we likely just on a plateau?

There's a very slight downwards tick so far, but yeah, we're mostly plateaued currently.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #551 on: September 03, 2020, 09:39:32 AM »

It's dropping nationwide, but in how many states is it still increasing? I think Hawaii is starting to drop a little, so are there any left outside the Midwest?

Kentucky is at sort of a plateau, but it was always one of the lowest to begin with (and accomplished this without tossing people in jail over a stay-at-home order).

I think Iowa is leveling off, and I'm not sure why it had that really bad day a few days ago. That might have been a backlog.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #552 on: September 03, 2020, 09:42:50 AM »

If herd immunity isn't real, how do we explain the decline in cases in places that were already hit the hardest?

It isn't a strategy. It's just something that's already happened. We can't reverse it now that it's happened already.

Cyclical cause and effect.  Places that get hit hard go in for more social distancing (whether mandated or not).  Then when cases understandably go down as a result, social distancing relaxes and cases go back up again.  

Herd immunity has not been reached to any significant degree anywhere in the U.S. except possibly the New York City area.

I’m not sure how you explain the trends in Arizona other than herd immunity.  They had the highest per capita case rate for quite a while, and then cases suddenly dropped almost 90% over the last eight weeks.  Did they really do anything drastically different than any other state?
It’s a combination of temporary immunity, mask usage, and some (but not a lot) of decrease in activity.

But nowhere else has seen a 90% drop in cases in the last two months.  Has Arizona really enforced masks and decreased activity that much better than everywhere else?
Yes. Anecdotally, we went from ~20% of people wearing a mask in public to ~95% in most urban places
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #553 on: September 03, 2020, 10:29:07 AM »

It's dropping nationwide, but in how many states is it still increasing? I think Hawaii is starting to drop a little, so are there any left outside the Midwest?

Kentucky is at sort of a plateau, but it was always one of the lowest to begin with (and accomplished this without tossing people in jail over a stay-at-home order).

I think Iowa is leveling off, and I'm not sure why it had that really bad day a few days ago. That might have been a backlog.

Being an isolated methhole that nobody wants to go to probably also has helped your state Tongue.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #554 on: September 03, 2020, 10:42:51 AM »
« Edited: September 03, 2020, 10:47:45 AM by Calthrina950 »

Being an isolated methhole that nobody wants to go to probably also has helped your state Tongue.

This is somewhat unrelated, but one thing that has continued to astound me over the past several months is how this pandemic has truly exposed the characteristics of human nature. People have responded to it in radically different ways. You have some who have been taking the virus very seriously, to the point of paranoia. I'm talking about the people who have been wearing a mask and a face shield, and those who have been wearing gloves. You have those who have been taking it seriously or semi-seriously, complying with the mask mandate and taking some precautions, but not going overboard and not allowing the virus to dominate their lives.

This is the category where the vast majority of people lie. And then you have those who have viewed the reaction to the virus as "overblown", or who have pretended that life is normal, ignoring the virus as best they can. This category includes those few who continue to go about maskless in public. When I am at my job, it's always interesting when I deal with one customer who falls into the first category, wearing a mask and gloves, and then with the next customer who is maskless and acting as if things are normal.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #555 on: September 03, 2020, 10:47:12 AM »

This is somewhat unrelated, but one thing that has continued to astound me over the past several months is how this pandemic has truly exposed the characteristics of human nature. People have responded to it in radically different ways. You have some who have been taking the virus very seriously, to the point of paranoia. I'm talking about the people who have been wearing a mask and a face shield, and those who have been wearing gloves. You have those who have been taking it seriously or semi-seriously, complying with the mask mandate and taking some precautions, but not going overboard and not allowing the virus to dominate their lives.

This is the category where the vast majority of people lie. And then you have those who have viewed the reaction to the virus as "overblown", or who have pretended that if life is normal, ignoring the virus as best they can. This category includes those few who continue to go about maskless in public. When I am at my job, it's always interesting when I deal with one customer who falls into the first category, wearing a mask and gloves, and then with the next customer who is maskless and acting as if things are normal.
At school I definitely am in the first category. We have had two confirmed cases already in the school itself and it’s pretty crowded, so I wear a mask and a shield.
Although elsewhere I don’t wear the shield.
It is strange to see how people are reacting differently to the same event.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #556 on: September 03, 2020, 10:50:35 AM »

This is the category where the vast majority of people lie. And then you have those who have viewed the reaction to the virus as "overblown", or who have pretended that if life is normal, ignoring the virus as best they can. This category includes those few who continue to go about maskless in public. When I am at my job, it's always interesting when I deal with one customer who falls into the first category, wearing a mask and gloves, and then with the next customer who is maskless and acting as if things are normal.
At school I definitely am in the first category. We have had two confirmed cases already in the school itself and it’s pretty crowded, so I wear a mask and a shield.
Although elsewhere I don’t wear the shield.
It is strange to see how people are reacting differently to the same event.

Very much true, though as I've said, the second category predominates. For example, I had to checkout ~25 customers within the span of half an hour or so yesterday. Out of those 25, only one person was maskless; all the rest were wearing masks. And the previous day, I had a line of four or five customers, with one maskless person in that line. The maskless certainly do stick out these days, and are a reminder that even the most vigorous orders coming from government cannot compel absolute compliance from everyone. You're always going to have those who rebel against the system or deviate from societal norms.
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #557 on: September 03, 2020, 11:07:34 AM »

Virginia definitely isn't dropping.  If anything we are gradually increasing.  We never had a big surge, and thus never had the opportunity to benefit from the association immunity.

A number of Southern states like Alabama and Tennessee seem to be stuck in limbo, clearly down from their peaks but with further declines having stalled out over the past two weeks.

Arizona had over 1,000 cases today for this first time since August 13...not sure what it going on there since they had seen the most dramatic decline of any state this summer.  Hopefully it is just a temporary blip.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #558 on: September 03, 2020, 12:58:43 PM »

Penn State football doctor: 30-35% of COVID-19-positive Big Ten athletes had myocarditis

During a State College Area school board of directors meeting on Monday night, Wayne Sebastianelli — Penn State’s director of athletic medicine — made some alarming comments about the link between COVID-19 and myocarditis, particularly in Big Ten athletes. Sebastianelli said that cardiac MRI scans revealed that approximately a third of Big Ten athletes who tested positive for COVID-19 appeared to have myocarditis, an inflammation of the heart muscle that can be fatal if left unchecked.

“When we looked at our COVID-positive athletes, whether they were symptomatic or not, 30 to roughly 35 percent of their heart muscles (are) inflamed,” Sebastianelli said. “And we really just don’t know what to do with it right now. It’s still very early in the infection. Some of that has led to the Pac-12 and the Big Ten’s decision to sort of put a hiatus on what’s happening.”
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #559 on: September 03, 2020, 05:08:11 PM »

Interactive map by the New York Times that shows the number of COVID-19 cases at colleges around the country: https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/us/covid-college-cases-tracker.html
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #560 on: September 03, 2020, 08:30:06 PM »

Very much true, though as I've said, the second category predominates. For example, I had to checkout ~25 customers within the span of half an hour or so yesterday. Out of those 25, only one person was maskless; all the rest were wearing masks. And the previous day, I had a line of four or five customers, with one maskless person in that line. The maskless certainly do stick out these days, and are a reminder that even the most vigorous orders coming from government cannot compel absolute compliance from everyone. You're always going to have those who rebel against the system or deviate from societal norms.

Once the police fine those people a couple of times, they will start complying no problem; even if it is because of fear of being fined rather than because of the COVID prevention. I would personally fall on that category when in the streets; as I wear a mask only because of fear of being fined, not because I think it is useful when in open spaces (in stores and enclosed spaces I do see its usefulness, but it's always been mandatory here in stores anyways)

Even businesses independently putting orders of "no mask, no service" would already do a lot to force people to comply
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #561 on: September 03, 2020, 09:21:13 PM »

Once the police fine those people a couple of times, they will start complying no problem; even if it is because of fear of being fined rather than because of the COVID prevention. I would personally fall on that category when in the streets; as I wear a mask only because of fear of being fined, not because I think it is useful when in open spaces (in stores and enclosed spaces I do see its usefulness, but it's always been mandatory here in stores anyways)

Even businesses independently putting orders of "no mask, no service" would already do a lot to force people to comply

Well, it's highly unlikely that fines over mask-wearing come to Colorado. When Polis issued his mask mandate back in July, several of our country sheriffs-including the Sheriff of El Paso County, where I live-stated that they would not enforce his mandate, and that they would only respond to trespassing, not mask violation, calls from local businesses. And my own workplace (Home Depot), has told us not to confront or deny service to maskless customers, as I've noted before. At work today, I saw at least a dozen maskless customers in one hour. 85-90% of people are still complying with the mask mandate, but it seems like the numbers of maskless may be back on an upwards trajectory as we enter September. I'm aware of how your native country (Spain), has been among the harshest in terms of dealing with violators of your mask mandates.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #562 on: September 03, 2020, 09:27:42 PM »

I like going on Snap Maps and looking at pictures that people recently uploaded from all over the world. I look at Barcelona a lot, and most people are unmasked.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #563 on: September 03, 2020, 10:27:55 PM »

The updated numbers for COVID-19 in the U.S. are in for 9/3 per: https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

I'm keeping track of these updates daily and updating at the end of the day, whenever all states finish reporting for that day.

ΔW Change: Comparisons of Weekly Day-to-day Growth or Decline of COVID-19 Spread/Deaths.
  • IE: Comparing the numbers to the same day of last week, are we flattening the curve enough?

Σ Increase: A day's contribution to overall percentage growth of COVID-19 cases/deaths.

9/1: <T>

9/2 (Yesterday): <W>

9/3 (Today): <Þ>
  • Cases: 6,335,244 (+44,507| ΔW Change: ↓3.81% | Σ Increase: ↑0.71%)
  • Deaths: 191,058 (+1,094 | ΔW Change: ↓4.29% | Σ Increase: ↑0.58%)
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #564 on: September 04, 2020, 04:37:14 AM »

Well, it's highly unlikely that fines over mask-wearing come to Colorado. When Polis issued his mask mandate back in July, several of our country sheriffs-including the Sheriff of El Paso County, where I live-stated that they would not enforce his mandate, and that they would only respond to trespassing, not mask violation, calls from local businesses. And my own workplace (Home Depot), has told us not to confront or deny service to maskless customers, as I've noted before. At work today, I saw at least a dozen maskless customers in one hour. 85-90% of people are still complying with the mask mandate, but it seems like the numbers of maskless may be back on an upwards trajectory as we enter September. I'm aware of how your native country (Spain), has been among the harshest in terms of dealing with violators of your mask mandates.

Yeah I guess if police don't enforce the mandate, then it is not going anywhere. Though given El Paso County seems to be a very Republican county I wonder if things are different in say, Denver or something

As for stores individually not doing it I guess it is probably not worth it for the 10% or so of maskless people
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #565 on: September 04, 2020, 07:47:45 AM »

Yeah I guess if police don't enforce the mandate, then it is not going anywhere. Though given El Paso County seems to be a very Republican county I wonder if things are different in say, Denver or something

As for stores individually not doing it I guess it is probably not worth it for the 10% or so of maskless people

I've only been up to Denver once since the pandemic began-back in late July, a few days after Polis issued his mask mandate. And it's a mixed situation up there, to say the least. It seems like most people are wearing a mask inside businesses, but there is a large homeless population in the Downtown area, and almost all of them, obviously, are not wearing masks (or have access to ones). The only people outside who I saw wearing masks were clearly not homeless-they were either housed residents or tourists. Denver imposed a mask mandate back in May, over two months before the state did so, but I highly doubt that they are rigorously enforcing it, as they don't have the resources to.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #566 on: September 04, 2020, 07:53:20 AM »

The updated numbers for COVID-19 in the U.S. are in for 9/3 per: https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

9/2 (Yesterday): <W>

9/3 (Today): <Þ>

At this rate, it's going to take months to get to some reasonable level. Say under 5000/100
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #567 on: September 04, 2020, 09:31:07 AM »

I like going on Snap Maps and looking at pictures that people recently uploaded from all over the world. I look at Barcelona a lot, and most people are unmasked.
I thought I was the only one who did that for fun.
And yes, mask usage in most of Western Europe has been pretty s**t.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #568 on: September 04, 2020, 03:21:43 PM »

From my personal experience in the UK, there is pretty strong compliance where it is mandatory, such as on public transport and inside shops.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #569 on: September 04, 2020, 11:23:09 PM »

The updated numbers for COVID-19 in the U.S. are in for 9/4 per: https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

9/2: <W>

9/3 (Yesterday): <Þ>

9/4 (Today): <F>
  • Cases: 6,389,057 (+53,813| ΔW Change: ↑8.49% | Σ Increase: ↑0.85%)
  • Deaths: 192,111 (+1,053 | ΔW Change: ↓4.71% | Σ Increase: ↑0.55%)
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #570 on: September 05, 2020, 01:57:37 PM »

Northeastern tosses 11 students without refund

Their horrible crime?

The students were caught at the Westin Hotel, which is being used as a temporary dormitory this semester, on Wednesday night without masks and not social distancing, according to university spokeswoman Renata Nyul.

Imagine using masks during social gatherings.

Just so completely immoral what these all powerful institutions are doing to Gen Z. More evidence of the absolute worst tragedy going on in our nation, "education"
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #571 on: September 05, 2020, 02:00:41 PM »

Even  my high school refunded part of my tuition when I got expelled.

But tuition at Northeastern is almost $40,000, and they won't refund any of it - even though the semester is just starting.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #572 on: September 05, 2020, 02:11:03 PM »

Apparently they can come back next semester. Do they have a case on the tuition? I know universities are considered self governed but that seems pretty extreme, about ~$30K basically stolen.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #573 on: September 05, 2020, 02:58:46 PM »

The idea is to discourage these sort of close contact social gatherings, which we know help spread this virus.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #574 on: September 05, 2020, 03:18:16 PM »

The idea is to discourage these sort of close contact social gatherings, which we know help spread this virus.

ok? And every young person has agreed that we don't care. I have these types of get-togethers 3-4 times a week. Thank heavens I'm not part of this evil and totalitarian education system any longer. Coronavirus itself had all but discouraged me from going back, and now I can absolutely never see it.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28 ... 456  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies