The “Who is running in 2024?” tea leaves thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 05:21:13 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  2024 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, GeorgiaModerate, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  The “Who is running in 2024?” tea leaves thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 ... 85
Author Topic: The “Who is running in 2024?” tea leaves thread  (Read 168077 times)
SCNCmod

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #350 on: November 14, 2020, 11:34:14 AM »
« edited: November 14, 2020, 11:44:25 AM by SCNCmod »

On the Republican Side:

Nikki Haley would be a, potentially, tough candidate for Dems to face in 2024... but I'm not sure she would win a Republican Primary. She would most likely pick either Josh Hawley or Marco Rubio as a running mate... which would probably make the ticket even more of an uphill battle for Dems.

Marco Rubio is generally a weakened candidate regarding a national ticket... but as a VP, he would ensure a win in Florida for Republicans- and would probably benefit Republicans in Georgia, Arizona & Nevada.

Josh Hawley, on paper, is a strong VP candidate- he's camera-ready & he's got top-notch educational credentials. That said, he underperforms (& seems to lack any X-factor) when he's on the stump or giving a speech to a crowd, IMO. Otherwise, he would be a guaranteed future name on the Presidential ticket. But, unless he improves his big crowd charisma & stump presence...he may not reach that Presidential ticket potential.  

On the Dem side:

I do not think Biden will end up running for re-election (I give it a 60% chance that he will not run).

Regarding Harris- I'm also not 100% sure that she would automatically get the nomination if Biden does not run.  It will depend on how people perceive her performance & leadership qualities over the next 3 years.  Although she will likely benefit from there being a lack of a standout Dem candidate to be an alternative.  That said- a relatively new name could emerge... and/or someone like Governor Lujan-Grisham could also be a potentially strong candidate.

If Harris is the Nominee, she could have some strong VP candidates (NM Gov Michelle Lujan Grisham, Ohio Sen Sherrod Brown, NC Gov Roy Cooper.... and an (unlikely) dark horse- Beto, if he were to somehow win 2022 Texas Governor).
Meatball Ron
recoveringdemocrat

« Reply #351 on: November 14, 2020, 01:22:53 PM »

Nikki Haley would be a, potentially, tough candidate for Dems to face in 2024...

Can you explain to me - like I'm a kindergartener - why you and so many others believe this? What is her unique appeal? She strikes me as a Rubio-esque paper tiger: checks all the boxes from a Beltway lens but would not actually resonate with everyday voters.

Not to mention a bigger issue, in my opinion, that by 2024, she'll have been out of office for 6 years and out of elected office for 8 years. Not clear to me how she keeps herself relevant (or if she even is relevant today, beyond the small number of people who avidly follow politics).
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #352 on: November 14, 2020, 04:09:05 PM »

Candace Owens is probably joking here, but she floats the possibility of running for president in 2024:

SCNCmod

« Reply #353 on: November 14, 2020, 08:18:47 PM »
« Edited: November 14, 2020, 08:23:48 PM by SCNCmod »

Nikki Haley would be a, potentially, tough candidate for Dems to face in 2024...

Can you explain to me - like I'm a kindergartener - why you and so many others believe this? What is her unique appeal? She strikes me as a Rubio-esque paper tiger: checks all the boxes from a Beltway lens but would not actually resonate with everyday voters.

Not to mention a bigger issue, in my opinion, that by 2024, she'll have been out of office for 6 years and out of elected office for 8 years. Not clear to me how she keeps herself relevant (or if she even is relevant today, beyond the small number of people who avidly follow politics).

Regarding Nikki Haley...

She definitely isn't a policy wonk or Ivy Educated... but she has very shrewd political instincts.  And she is good at talking in plain language (no senate speak) which seems to appeal to a wide audience. Also in this regard, she knows how to talk about policy or political topics, in a way that comes across as fairly moderate (regardless of how moderate or conservative the position she is describing actually is)... which could hurt her in a republican primary. But overall she is fairly quick-witted, comfortable under pressure,  a talented at portraying an understated southern charm.

Her ability to come across as the working mom next door... is partly because not too long ago- that's exactly what she was. Nikki grew up just outside of Lexington SC, went to Clemson, then moved back to work (doing the accounting) for her parent's local dress shop.

My older sister is 3-4 years younger than Nikki. They both live in Lexington, SC and my niece and nephew are the same age as Nikki's kids.  Although she & my sister were not best friends (as they were about 4 years apart)...Nikki & her husband & my sister and brother-in-law were in the same extended circle of friends in Lexington (& their kids went to the same local preschool (which a common friend of theirs owned) when they were toddlers & were good friends... Nikki's brother-in-law was their local Dentist, etc. So Nikki was literally sort of the girl next door.

So I can remember my sister thinking it was neat when Nikki (at age 33 or 34), decided to run for the State House seat for Lexington (with no prior political experience)... which she won.  Then about 5-6 years later, Nikki jumped into the Republican Gubernatorial Primary...which she won (then easily won the General... as Republicans usually do in SC). Fast-forward another 5-6 years, and Nikki is appointed to be the Ambassador to the UN.  So she sort of seemed to go from winning a local State House race... to UN ambassador, in very short order.

But her political savvy is highlight by who she (as a complete political novice) defeated in both of those early races.  In her 1st race (State House Seat)- she entered the Republican Primary to challenge (and defeated) the local incumbent republican State House member in Lexington (who at the time, was the longest-serving State House member in SC).  

Then, after only a couple of terms in the State House, she entered the Republican Gubernatorial primary as sort of a long shot (due to limited political experience & due to the fact that SC had never elected a Female.. or minority... Governor (or Senator).

Additionally, the other 3 candidates in the primary were:
-Gresham Barrett (popular 3-term US Congressman... who she defeated in the run-off)
-Andre Bauer (the outgoing 2 term Lt Governor...Mark Sandford was the outgoing 2nd term as Gov)
-Henry McMaster (the outgoing 2-term Atty General & prior 8 year SC Repub Party Chair & now-Current Gov).

So she defeated the longest-serving state house member in a primary for her 1st election.  Then, still with fairly limited political experience, became the first Minority & first Female SC Governor, by winning a primary against the serving 8 year Lt. Governor, the serving 8 year Atty General, and a popular 3 term sitting US House member.  It takes shrewd & keen political instincts to successfully win those elections against very seasoned candidates (and all of her races were basically decided in the Primary... since SC is dominated by Republican Party).  Nikki has in fact never lost an election.

Interesting side note (which many may already know)... Nikki 1st decided to run for office (the original Republican statehouse primary race), after being inspired by a speech she went to hear... given by Hillary Clinton. (Hillary was in town (Columbia) to speak to a women's group/organization- (can't remember which) on the topic of women in politics.
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #354 on: November 14, 2020, 11:19:06 PM »

I gotta say as a South Carolinian my parents hate her, especially my dad. He's very conservative but her refusal to aid farmers (wouldn't even meet with the Ag Commissioner) after Hurricane Matthew pissed him off and a lot of famers (and therefore conservatives). I could see something like that haunting her, especially trying to get through Iowa.
SCNCmod

« Reply #355 on: November 14, 2020, 11:44:03 PM »

I gotta say as a South Carolinian my parents hate her, especially my dad. He's very conservative but her refusal to aid farmers (wouldn't even meet with the Ag Commissioner) after Hurricane Matthew pissed him off and a lot of famers (and therefore conservatives). I could see something like that haunting her, especially trying to get through Iowa.

I could definitely see her having trouble in a Republican Presidential Primary (although probably a good general election candidate if she ever made it through the primary). What you are highlighting, sort of speaks to her ultimate weakness... her strength & interest is the Political game, not the policy side.  (She reminds me a little of almost a George W. Bush (comes across very likeable and down to earth & relatable...but less adept at developing policy solutions etc.  And while I do think she would win the SC Primary... I also think she is overall more highly look at, by people outside of SC. BTW...My Granddad is also a life long farmer (in NC)... and is also conservative & Republican.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #356 on: November 14, 2020, 11:47:40 PM »

I could definitely see her having trouble in a Republican Presidential Primary (although probably a good general election candidate if she ever made it through the primary). What you are highlighting, sort of speaks to her ultimate weakness... her strength & interest is the Political game, not the policy side.  (She reminds me a little of almost a George W. Bush (comes across very likeable and down to earth & relatable...but less adept at developing policy solutions etc.  And while I do think she would win the SC Primary... I also think she if is overall more highly look at, by people outside of SC.

BTW...My Granddad is also a life long farmer (in NC). 

Woo farmer gang!

But yea, even as a middle schooler with a political addiction I could tell even back then she was constantly trying to posture for higher office. The incident I said, she did accept federal aid for houses, but not farmers. The removing of the confederate flag, the republicans rebuttal, all political posturing. I think her initial plan was to run for president in 2020 for be VP for like Cruz or Bush or whoever, but then Trump happened.
Senator Cris
Cris
Junior Chimp
Italy

« Reply #357 on: November 15, 2020, 11:32:38 AM »

Mods, please stick this thread and - if possible - remove joke threads like Dukakis and David Duke 2024 (or at least merge them in a "2024 joke candidates megathread").
Meatball Ron
recoveringdemocrat

« Reply #358 on: November 15, 2020, 12:51:11 PM »

Regarding Nikki Haley...

She definitely isn't a policy wonk or Ivy Educated... but she has very shrewd political instincts.  And she is good at talking in plain language (no senate speak) which seems to appeal to a wide audience. Also in this regard, she knows how to talk about policy or political topics, in a way that comes across as fairly moderate (regardless of how moderate or conservative the position she is describing actually is)... which could hurt her in a republican primary. But overall she is fairly quick-witted, comfortable under pressure,  a talented at portraying an understated southern charm.

Her ability to come across as the working mom next door... is partly because not too long ago- that's exactly what she was. Nikki grew up just outside of Lexington SC, went to Clemson, then moved back to work (doing the accounting) for her parent's local dress shop.

My older sister is 3-4 years younger than Nikki. They both live in Lexington, SC and my niece and nephew are the same age as Nikki's kids.  Although she & my sister were not best friends (as they were about 4 years apart)...Nikki & her husband & my sister and brother-in-law were in the same extended circle of friends in Lexington (& their kids went to the same local preschool (which a common friend of theirs owned) when they were toddlers & were good friends... Nikki's brother-in-law was their local Dentist, etc. So Nikki was literally sort of the girl next door.

So I can remember my sister thinking it was neat when Nikki (at age 33 or 34), decided to run for the State House seat for Lexington (with no prior political experience)... which she won.  Then about 5-6 years later, Nikki jumped into the Republican Gubernatorial Primary...which she won (then easily won the General... as Republicans usually do in SC). Fast-forward another 5-6 years, and Nikki is appointed to be the Ambassador to the UN.  So she sort of seemed to go from winning a local State House race... to UN ambassador, in very short order.

But her political savvy is highlight by who she (as a complete political novice) defeated in both of those early races.  In her 1st race (State House Seat)- she entered the Republican Primary to challenge (and defeated) the local incumbent republican State House member in Lexington (who at the time, was the longest-serving State House member in SC).  

Then, after only a couple of terms in the State House, she entered the Republican Gubernatorial primary as sort of a long shot (due to limited political experience & due to the fact that SC had never elected a Female.. or minority... Governor (or Senator).

-Gresham Barrett (popular 3-term US Congressman... who she defeated in the run-off)
-Andre Bauer (the outgoing 2 term Lt Governor...Mark Sandford was the outgoing 2nd term as Gov)
-Henry McMaster (the outgoing 2-term Atty General & prior 8 year SC Repub Party Chair & now-Current Gov).

So she defeated the longest-serving state house member in a primary for her 1st election.  Then, still with fairly limited political experience, became the first Minority & first Female SC Governor, by winning a primary against the serving 8 year Lt. Governor, the serving 8 year Atty General, and a popular 3 term sitting US House member.  It takes shrewd & keen political instincts to successfully win those elections against very seasoned candidates (and all of her races were basically decided in the Primary... since SC is dominated by Republican Party).  Nikki has in fact never lost an election.

Interesting side note (which many may already know)... Nikki 1st decided to run for office (the original Republican statehouse primary race), after being inspired by a speech she went to hear... given by Hillary Clinton. (Hillary was in town (Columbia) to speak to a women's group/organization- (can't remember which) on the topic of women in politics.

That is a very thorough and helpful explanation! Thank you!

How do you feel about my concern re: her length of time out of office? How do you think she'll keep herself relevant?
psychprofessor

« Reply #359 on: November 15, 2020, 01:20:11 PM »

Regarding Nikki Haley...

How do you feel about my concern re: her length of time out of office? How do you think she'll keep herself relevant?

Please, Niki Hayley has no appeal for Trump's white, non educated base. She's a non starter as POTUS candidate.
SCNCmod

« Reply #360 on: November 16, 2020, 01:34:37 AM »

Please, Niki Hayley has no appeal for Trump's white, non educated base. She's a non starter as POTUS candidate.

I do not necessarily disagree-  I've always said she would probably have an uphill battle in a Republican presidential primary... but if she ever made it to the general election- she could be a tough opponent for Dems. And although I do like her better than most potential Republican candidates... I Obviously hope she doesn't win the Primary (I would hope for someone like Ted Cruz to win- b/c I think he is easier for Dem candidate to defeat in the general).

That said- I certainly would never underestimate her chances. Especially considering: the 1st political office she won (state house for Lexington)- is a Pro-Trump district and also located in the US congressional district that Joe Wilson represents (he is also from Lexington).  Additionally, she was twice elected Governor in SC (which certainly has no shortage of non-college-educated, Pro-Trump voters.
SCNCmod

« Reply #361 on: November 16, 2020, 02:06:57 AM »

That's a good question... that I'm not sure what I think the answer is.  On one hand, 6 years (prior 2 years + 4 more years) is certainly very different than simply being out of office for 2 years.  But, candidates often announce their Presidential campaigns- 1.5 years prior to the election (which could bring the time frame down to about 2.5 years from now).  4.5 years out of office still feels like a serious time gap.  That said, the next 2.5 years will likely seem to pass in the blink of an eye. So its certainly possible that the time gap ends up not being as harmful as one would expect- especially, due to a high likelihood Haley's name will remain in the 24-7 cable news world (as talk of 2024 is sure to become an increasingly regular topic any day now).

Also, Haley's strength is her political aptitude- not her policy aptitude... and I think political skill (or political x-factor, or whatever), may have a longer shelf life- vs being considered a 2024 possibility as a result of a perfect resume of experience or being especially relevant to current policy debates, etc.

So, although I do think she could hit a roadblock in the form of the Republican Presidential Primary...I probably come down on the side of the time gap from office not being much of a roadblock. 

leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #362 on: November 16, 2020, 02:20:56 AM »

About Haley’s time out of office, it depends on wether she runs in 2024 or 2028. If 2024 she will have served in the previous admin for 2 years which isn’t nothin, and being out of office for 6 years isn’t too much to overcome when you were previously a household name. Newt Gingrich had been out of office for over a decade when he ran for president in 2012. However I think there is a non-zero chance she could run for governor or senate in 2022 if there is enough pressure for McMaster/Scott to step aside. However it is worth noting both have previously said they are running for re-election
tosk

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -2.96

« Reply #363 on: November 16, 2020, 04:22:34 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AI65zrImrA&ab_channel=ReaganFoundation

Governor Hogan giving an address about Reagan's succesful electoral coalitions, rebranding the GOP after watergate etc

Pretty clearly 2024 fodder, at least to me.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #364 on: November 16, 2020, 04:24:11 PM »

Hogan wants to run, just he’s running for a Republican Party that hasn’t existed over a decade
Canis
canis
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

P P P

« Reply #365 on: November 16, 2020, 04:41:46 PM »

I wonder is Yang2024 even real?

He'd be perfect candidate
Yang will definitely run for something between now and 2024 I could see him giving NYC mayor a run in 2021 (though the field is starting to populate with some relatively strong candidates) run for NY Gov in 2022 if Cuomo doesn't run again. But Yang's a smart guy though if he thinks he won't stand a chance in 2024 he's not running If he gets a job in the Biden/Harris administration he ain't running
Bootes Void
iamaganster123
Junior Chimp
Canada

« Reply #366 on: November 16, 2020, 07:50:55 PM »

Yang has good ideas but he's sort of a wimp who would be a pushover and probably lose in a presidential run. People generally want somebody who sort of "alpha" as their leader. He would be a good cabinet nominee or advisor to Biden though
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #367 on: November 17, 2020, 10:27:17 PM »

Tom Cotton was on Fox News Channel on Sunday, and at about the 5:30 mark of this video, he's asked if he's thinking about a 2024 presidential bid:

https://video.foxnews.com/v/6209659147001#sp=show-clips

He's initially evasive.  Then when asked the question again, he says:

“I’d like to put 2020 on the books, before we move on to the next election."
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #368 on: November 18, 2020, 11:16:38 PM »

This AP story mentions Pence's pre-election decision timeline (which now might be derailed by Trump's own continued ambitions):

https://apnews.com/article/trump-loss-pence-political-future-0873e6ba264e37748d9858e805e4ea0e

Before the election, Pence aides had discussed a plan to build a political apparatus for the vice president should he decide to run in 2024. They envisioned him holding fundraisers, speaking at party dinners and supporting 2022 candidates. Then, around the 2022 election, he would decide whether to move forward.

Pence, his allies contend, has time to take a wait-and-see approach because he’s already ahead of others in what is expected to be a crowded Republican field. Pence, they note, already has a political action committee, the Great America Committee, as well as a deep fundraising network and close friends who include many of the nation’s governors.

“I think he’s got the blessing of time right now where he can go ahead and put together a small apparatus for a potential run,” said Jon Thompson, who served as Pence’s spokesman on the campaign and previously worked for the Republican Governors Association. “So that gives him some time to really see what Trump and others do.”
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #369 on: November 18, 2020, 11:25:30 PM »

It would be absolutely hilarious if Trump cockblocks Pence's 2024 run with a neverending will-he-or-won't-he.

Pence really is the ultimate cuck.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #370 on: November 19, 2020, 06:33:30 PM »

I guess this is relevant, since there's been speculation about whether Don Jr., or less likely, Ivanka, might run for president if their father doesn't, but looks like Ivanka is trying to decide whether to move her family to NJ or FL, and this tweet says that she "has no immediate intention to pursue elected office herself", and that Don Jr. "may not either":

Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #371 on: November 20, 2020, 12:56:28 AM »

The Washington Times says that Trump is telling people in his orbit that he plans to run in ’24, but that they’re not convinced he’s going to formally pull the trigger any time soon:

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2020/nov/18/donald-trump-2024-president-privately-planning-nex/

President Trump, despite publicly declaring he won the Nov. 3 election, is privately telling people he plans on running again for president in 2024, The Washington Times has learned.
A Republican strategist with close ties to the White House said rumblings of Trump 2024 are no joke or the kind of offhand comment that Mr. Trump often makes.

“He is definitely telling people that in a serious manner,” the strategist said.

“Now at the end of the day, even if in his head he doesn’t want to run, we won’t know until he pulls the trigger after a couple of years,” the strategist said. “He is going to milk it. Even if he doesn’t want to run, he is going to milk it to the very, very end. The guy knows how to get media attention. It is probably his greatest talent.”
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #372 on: November 21, 2020, 12:28:01 AM »

CNN article on how Mike Pompeo's trip to the Golan Heights and the West Bank is advancing a possible 2024 campaign.

Secretary of State Mike Pompeo's groundbreaking trip to a West Bank settlement Thursday was meant to highlight the Trump administration's commitment to Israel. Instead, it reignited speculation that the top US diplomat's higher priority is his own political future.

Pompeo, the first US secretary of state to visit a settlement and the Golan Heights, touted the Trump administration's break with international consensus to recognize settlements as Israeli territory and its determination to help Israeli businesses in the West Bank avoid international sanctions. But when the news inadvertently leaked that the trip was being described as part of the "Pompeo Doctrine," the criticism was instantaneous.

"Pompeo's West Bank winery and Golan excursions have nothing to do with America's ambitions but his own in 2024," Aaron David Miller, a senior fellow at the Carnegie Endowment for International Peace, tweeted.

Pompeo's visit was in line with the Trump administration's stated policy and those who know him well argued that he was just doing his job. "Arguably anytime he does something for his job you could say he is making a 2024 play," said a source close to the secretary.

Others viewed it differently. Presidential historian Michael Beschloss chimed in. "A Secretary of State should not use his Senate-confirmed job to run for President."
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #373 on: November 21, 2020, 12:33:52 AM »

2024ers descend on Georgia:

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/republican-2024-presidential-hopefuls-already-descending-on-newfound-battleground-georgia-01605817090

The state has fast become a stage for the cast of possible Republican presidential candidates after President Donald Trump’s defeat. Even as votes are still being tallied in the last election, Georgia’s two high-profile Senate contests are drawing top GOP politicians to the state to campaign, network and raise their profiles.

Too soon?

Not if you’re Marco Rubio. The Florida Republican arrived in Georgia last week to rally Republicans behind Senate colleagues David Perdue and Kelly Loeffler as they try to quash their respective Democratic challengers, Jon Ossoff and Raphael Warnock.

Fellow Floridian Rick Scott followed last Friday.

A third Republican senator widely viewed as having presidential ambitions, Tom Cotton of Arkansas senator, will campaign in central Georgia on Friday.

Vice President Mike Pence is also due in the state on Friday.

Meanwhile, Missouri Sen. Josh Hawley has sent a flurry of fundraising emails coaxing rank-and-file Republicans to bankroll the Georgia runoff campaigns. Texas Sen. Ted Cruz, a former presidential candidate, has mentioned the contests in his regular circuit of cable television appearances. Loeffler’s campaign website homepage features a photo of the senator with former South Carolina Gov. Nikki Haley.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #374 on: November 21, 2020, 08:39:21 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 ... 85  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies