The “Who is running in 2024?” tea leaves thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 12:29:32 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  2024 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, GeorgiaModerate, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  The “Who is running in 2024?” tea leaves thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 ... 85
Author Topic: The “Who is running in 2024?” tea leaves thread  (Read 165384 times)
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #275 on: October 25, 2020, 07:37:23 PM »

A presidential run is “not anything that we’ve really spent a lot of time on”?  So is that a de facto admission that she’s spent *some* time thinking about it?

Every single politician has spent *some* time thinking about it.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #276 on: October 25, 2020, 09:06:13 PM »

A presidential run is “not anything that we’ve really spent a lot of time on”?  So is that a de facto admission that she’s spent *some* time thinking about it?

Every single politician has spent *some* time thinking about it.

I know, but they usually pretend they haven't, so this is a gaffe.  Tongue
Horsemask

Political Matrix
E: -1.81, S: -4.87

« Reply #277 on: October 26, 2020, 06:37:07 PM »

Tom Cotton will be in Iowa this week per Burgess Everett from POLITICO

Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #278 on: October 26, 2020, 09:54:45 PM »

Noem was just in NH a couple of weeks ago, and she'll be back on Wednesday:

Vern
vern1988
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.30, S: -0.70

P P P

« Reply #279 on: October 26, 2020, 09:58:55 PM »

I think there will be more women running in the GOP nomination race than men in 2024.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #280 on: October 26, 2020, 11:36:00 PM »

Noem was just in NH a couple of weeks ago, and she'll be back on Wednesday:

Pence's running mate
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #281 on: October 27, 2020, 12:34:56 AM »

... will still be Nikki Haley.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #282 on: October 27, 2020, 09:28:09 PM »

Rather than visit early primary states like Cotton, Haley, and Noem, Ted Cruz's 2024 strategy is to promote Senate hearings he attends as if they were campaign events.  Tongue

RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #283 on: October 28, 2020, 07:33:52 AM »

Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #284 on: October 28, 2020, 09:08:36 AM »

https://www.forbes.com/sites/andrewsolender/2020/10/24/trump-sons-hint-at-future-runs-as-presidents-polling-looks-dire/#3fa48a0f0b0f

Donald Trump Jr., the president’s eldest son who helps run the Trump Organization as an executive vice president and has been one of his father’s most active surrogates this year, posted a photo of a “Don Jr. 2024” flag to instagram.

Donald Trump Jr. wrote that it will “make liberal heads explode” and that “to whomever made [the sign] thanks for the compliment… but let’s get through 2020 with a big win first.”

He was asked about this yesterday:

https://www.foxnews.com/media/trump-jr-speculation-2024-presidential-run

Trump Jr. addressed the photo during an appearance on "Fox & Friends" Tuesday, telling host Steve Doocy that while he was flattered by the suggestion, his focus remains on "getting another four more years for my father.

"It's obviously a compliment when someone makes a 40-foot sign," the first son said. "That was like a vinyl sign, they went out of their way and really printed up a real sign. This wasn’t a crayon deal, so it was a great compliment.

"But," he continued, "my only focus is really, you know, this next week, getting another four more years for my father, the policies that he’s initiated."
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #285 on: October 28, 2020, 05:08:25 PM »

Pence was in South Carolina yesterday:

https://www.greenvilleonline.com/story/news/politics/elections/2020/10/27/mike-pence-campaigns-greenville-sc-one-week-before-election-day/6051743002/

Ostensibly, this was a trip meant to boost Graham.  Yet I still think it's weird that the VP on a ticket that's losing in the polls would take the time to campaign in a state that isn't expected to be very competitive in the presidential race, just a week before the election.  Though of course, SC is also an early primary state for 2024, so....
AltWorlder

Political Matrix
E: -3.35, S: 3.83

« Reply #286 on: October 28, 2020, 05:32:37 PM »

I think there will be more women running in the GOP nomination race than men in 2024.

What is Michelle Bachmann up to these days anyway
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #287 on: October 29, 2020, 12:07:26 AM »

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/10/28/aoc-dont-know-house-forever-433215

Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez suggested in a new interview that her public service ambitions may carry her beyond the House of Representatives, adding to speculation that the progressive superstar could seek higher office.

“I don’t know if I’m really going to be staying in the House forever, or if I do stay in the House, what that would look like,” Ocasio-Cortez (D-N.Y.) told Vanity Fair in an interview for the magazine’s December cover story. “I don’t see myself really staying where I’m at for the rest of my life.”
Ocasio-Cortez is also viewed as one of the likeliest inheritors of Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders’ progressive coalition if she were to run for president. The congresswoman, who endorsed Sanders in the 2020 White House race, turned 31 earlier this month and would meet the constitutional presidential age requirement of 35 by November 2024.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #288 on: October 31, 2020, 01:29:17 PM »

Progressives vow bloodbath if Biden loses

https://nypost.com/2020/10/31/progressives-sharpen-knives-for-dem-bloodbath-if-biden-loses/

The moderate wing of the Democratic Party will be decimated

Centrists will have to form their own party

TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #289 on: October 31, 2020, 01:41:13 PM »
« Edited: October 31, 2020, 01:45:22 PM by TiltsAreUnderrated »

https://nypost.com/2020/10/31/progressives-sharpen-knives-for-dem-bloodbath-if-biden-loses/

I have a hunch they're likely to do better in primaries if Biden wins, rather than loses. One of the better ways to illustrate the flaws in a theory of political change is to demonstrate them.
NYSforKennedy2024
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #290 on: October 31, 2020, 02:02:01 PM »

Anyone got a feeling that if Trump loses, we'll see a few GOP campaigns announcements even before New Year's Day?

Especially if Biden wins, it's going to be a ripe season for making your name as the person who can move the party past Trumpism.

Candidates like Cruz, Haley, and Hawley effectively have the resources in place already.
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #291 on: October 31, 2020, 02:03:17 PM »

Anyone got a feeling that if Trump loses, we'll see a few GOP campaigns announcements even before New Year's Day?

Especially if Biden wins, it's going to be a ripe season for making your name as the person who can move the party past Trumpism.

Possibly, but I don't think anyone with a real chance will want to do it until Trump has well and truly conceded the election for fear of being cast as someone who allowed the Biden administration to happen.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #292 on: October 31, 2020, 02:05:18 PM »

I have a hunch they're likely to do better in primaries if Biden wins, rather than loses. One of the better ways to illustrate the flaws in a theory of political change is to demonstrate them.

Bernie is too old. Who gets the nod?
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #293 on: October 31, 2020, 02:08:47 PM »

I meant downballot primaries in '22 and '24. Conversely, the establishment wing would be more favoured in the presidential primary because Biden would either run again and probably face no serious competition or Kamala Harris would clear the field early with the institutional support typically afforded to a sitting Vice President.

In terms of who (among progressives) would run in a genuinely competitive '24 presidential primary, I'd guess Warren will try to go for it again, although I don't think it'll go well for her. Others to watch are Jeff Merkley and Tammy Baldwin; Sherrod Brown might try, but a presidential run could damage his chances if he ended up running for Senate again so I think he'd only do it if he was already convinced he'd lose his Senate seat anyway.

AOC might run after a second Trump term, but I think it's slightly less likely under a Biden presidency. I also don't think that bid would go particularly well but there's always a lot of uncertainty this far out.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #294 on: October 31, 2020, 02:17:34 PM »

I meant downballot primaries in '22 and '24. Conversely, the establishment wing would be more favoured in the presidential primary because Biden would either run again and probably face no serious competition or Kamala Harris would clear the field early with the institutional support typically afforded to a sitting Vice President.

In terms of who (among progressives) would run in a genuinely competitive '24 presidential primary, I'd guess Warren will try to go for it again, although I don't think it'll go well for her. Others to watch are Jeff Merkley and Tammy Baldwin; Sherrod Brown might try, but a presidential run could damage his chances if he ended up running for Senate again so I think he'd only do it if he was already convinced he'd lose his Senate seat anyway.

AOC might run after a second Trump term, but I think it's slightly less likely under a Biden presidency. I also don't think that bid would go particularly well but there's always a lot of uncertainty this far out.

They're white. A progressive of color will have to win. White progressivism doesn't win
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #295 on: October 31, 2020, 02:21:12 PM »

They're white. A progressive of color will have to win. White progressivism doesn't win

I don't think it's that simple given the way the primaries played out this year. The problem for some of the best POC progressives is that they are currently US House members and House members (for the most part) don't have much of a national platform. I mentioned AOC, but perhaps Mark Pocan could also pull it off without making it to the Senate.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #296 on: November 01, 2020, 01:19:33 PM »

Heads are going to roll if Biden loses.

I would not like to see the far-left take over the Democratic Party.....it would be chaotic.

AOC gives America 4 more years of Tucker or Hawley

Canis
canis
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

P P P

« Reply #297 on: November 01, 2020, 01:28:14 PM »

If Biden loses theirs a good chance 2024 is gonna be Cuomo vs Harris vs AOC Warren may run again too but shed be a little old. if Biden wins the dem side is gonna be pretty boring with VP harris facing Joke opposition and maybe theirs a chance one serious progressive runs and gets a Bernie 2016 coalition (with DINOS and Progressives) to give Harris a scare but I doubt they will Challenging a sitting vp with the endorsement the current presidents endorsement is an incredibly tough thing to do. 
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #298 on: November 01, 2020, 03:32:59 PM »

Sasse made two trips to Iowa last week: One trip to make a speech at the University of Iowa, and another to campaign for Ernst:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/10/28/politics/2024-gop-presidential-contenders-sasse-haley-cotton/index.html
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #299 on: November 02, 2020, 05:44:03 PM »

Rubio and Cotton don't deny their interest to CNN, Hawley says a run's not in the cards for him.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 ... 85  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies