California Senate 2024 - Schiff (D) vs Garvey (R)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 23, 2024, 05:10:12 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  California Senate 2024 - Schiff (D) vs Garvey (R)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 64
Author Topic: California Senate 2024 - Schiff (D) vs Garvey (R)  (Read 67324 times)
YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #125 on: January 11, 2023, 01:18:19 PM »

Lee seems like the most consistently progressive option here tbh. Khanna makes me nervous given his background and Porter’s SALT activism and coronavirus hawkishness are two strikes against her even if I generally like her.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #126 on: January 11, 2023, 01:23:59 PM »

Barbara Lee is IN:

I’ve said this before and I’ll keep saying it, why would anybody want to replace a would be 91-year-old with a would be 78-year-old that would be just 5 years younger than DiFi is now in 2030? If she was about 30 even 20 years younger I’d gladly support her. But that just isn’t the case.

It’s the 2020s, we need to stop electing 70+ year olds to office.

She’s 12 years younger than Feinstein without any signs of cognitive decline. She could easily serve one term and possibly even two.
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #127 on: January 11, 2023, 01:24:41 PM »

I’ve heard rumors/rumbling that Porter/Lee have been putting their name out so early in hopes to raise their profile and get nominated to replace Feinstein should she not complete her term.

Also Lee would be a good candidate to balance Padilla, NorCal Pol Woman with a SoCal Hispanic Man
JM1295
Rookie
United States
« Reply #128 on: January 11, 2023, 02:09:04 PM »

Honestly, I don't care about Lee's age at all here. Even if she only serves one term, it'd be worth it to see her elected to the Senate. She's been an icon to the left for decades and would be amazing even for just one 6-year Senate run.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #129 on: January 11, 2023, 02:11:41 PM »

Honestly, I don't care about Lee's age at all here. Even if she only serves one term, it'd be worth it to see her elected to the Senate. She's been an icon to the left for decades and would be amazing even for just one 6-year Senate run.

This. Plus it’d give the left six years to come up with a good candidate in 2030 (Scott Wiener)?
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #130 on: January 11, 2023, 02:20:38 PM »

Barbara Lee is the Black female option, because a lot of black activists don't trust Katie Porter

There's no lane for white guys like Adam Schiff, etc.

Lee or Porter wins the whole thing

California Republicans shouldn't even bother
Canis
canis
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

P P P

« Reply #131 on: January 11, 2023, 02:22:47 PM »

Barbara Lee is IN:

Ro also retweeted this last night which seems to indicate he won't run if Barbara Lee does.
Unbeatable Titan Susan Collins
johnzaharoff

« Reply #132 on: January 11, 2023, 02:27:40 PM »

If California Republicans were smart they would throw their support to  a moderate dem although I have no idea who that would be.

But the CA GOP will just run several candidates with no shot of making the top 2
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #133 on: January 11, 2023, 02:31:07 PM »

If California Republicans were smart they would throw their support to  a moderate dem although I have no idea who that would be.

But the CA GOP will just run several candidates with no shot of making the top 2

Gil Cisneros maybe?
RFK Jr.’s Brain Worm
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #134 on: January 11, 2023, 02:54:55 PM »

Where is the proof that Porter is actually terrible to her staff? The entire hubbub about those texts seemed like there was a lot of missing context and the full story wasn't really put forth (shockingly!)

Yeah, I’m wondering if this is just this one incident or if it is part of a bigger, concerning pattern.

I think that Lee is just too old, especially when we’re talking about replacing the oldest Dem in the senate. Like, I think she could serve through 2030 just fine, but I’d wonder about after that should she win and run for re-election.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #135 on: January 11, 2023, 02:57:50 PM »

I'd lean towards Lee over Porter, but if Schiff gets in, I'm strongly rooting for him. The guy deserves a promotion.

Really interesting that most hopefuls among rank and file Democrats here don't even bother to wait for the Feinstein's decision.
Interlocutor is just not there yet
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.04

« Reply #136 on: January 11, 2023, 02:58:44 PM »
« Edited: January 11, 2023, 03:09:03 PM by Interlocutor »

Where is the proof that Porter is actually terrible to her staff? The entire hubbub about those texts seemed like there was a lot of missing context and the full story wasn't really put forth (shockingly!)

For what its worth, I don't think any California news outlets have reported on it. It certainly wasn't brought up during yesterday's round of announcement articles.

The only ones I've seen reporting it are Fox News, NY Post and various right-wing news outlets
Canis
canis
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

P P P

« Reply #137 on: January 11, 2023, 03:01:34 PM »

Yeah, I’m wondering if this is just this one incident or if it is part of a bigger, concerning pattern.

I think that Lee is just too old, especially when we’re talking about replacing the oldest Dem in the senate. Like, I think she could serve through 2030 just fine, but I’d wonder about after that should she win and run for re-election.
Her office has a very high turnover rate, if you look at the thread I linked earlier on there are several other complaints about abusive behavior to her staff, a lot of them are anonymous and hard to verify but the sheer number of them doesn't paint a good picture,
RFK Jr.’s Brain Worm
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #138 on: January 11, 2023, 03:32:29 PM »

Her office has a very high turnover rate, if you look at the thread I linked earlier on there are several other complaints about abusive behavior to her staff, a lot of them are anonymous and hard to verify but the sheer number of them doesn't paint a good picture,

Thanks for sharing that!
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #139 on: January 11, 2023, 04:29:26 PM »

a lot of black activists don't trust Katie Porter

Feels like you pulled this one out of your ass, bronz.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #140 on: January 11, 2023, 05:10:38 PM »

a lot of black activists don't trust Katie Porter

Feels like you pulled this one out of your ass, bronz.

Well if I had to guess Porter, whose seat is just 2% black, has very little experience and probably doesn’t know many “black activists”
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #141 on: January 11, 2023, 05:15:16 PM »

Barbara Lee is IN:

Gross.  It’s bad enough having that nutcase in the House; hopefully she loses the primary and the country can finally be rid of her.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #142 on: January 11, 2023, 05:49:47 PM »
« Edited: January 11, 2023, 05:57:33 PM by Progressive Pessimist »

This is looking to be even more of a crowded primary than I expected. There isn't much harm in that in California, but now I'm a bit more apprehensive specifically of Porter abandoning her district, potentially for nothing. She is probably the only candidate from a district that is even remotely competitive. It's a different case from someone like Slotkin in Michigan leaving her competitive district since having a Senate seat in a swing state is worth a lot more.

Wouldn't it be funny though, after all this, if Feinstein decides to run again anyway and handily wins?
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #143 on: January 11, 2023, 05:56:14 PM »

This is looking to be even more of a crowded primary than I expected. There isn't much harm in that in California, but now I'm a bit more apprehensive specifically of Porter abandoning her district, potentially for nothing. She is probably the only candidate from a district that is even remotely competitive. It's a different case from someone like Slotkin in Michigan leaving her competitive district since having a Senate seat in a swing state is worth a lot more.

There’s every reason to think Porter will be a phenomenal Senator and a staunch champion of progressive causes who is actually able to get things done.  I’m not really sure how California could do better tbh.

Incidentally, I think Slotkin will be a great Senator as well and probably be able to lock down that Senate seat long-term.
coloradocowboi
United States

« Reply #144 on: January 11, 2023, 06:00:53 PM »

I'm 100% in on team Lee at this point. Maybe even considering throwing a job app in.

Gross.  It’s bad enough having that nutcase in the House; hopefully she loses the primary and the country can finally be rid of her.

Imagine thinking the only person who called the Afghanistan War for what it ended up being "a nutcase" FYI Soylent Green is made of people.

This. Plus it’d give the left six years to come up with a good candidate in 2030 (Scott Wiener)?

Thankfully, Scott Wiener is going nowhere. Replacing Lee with him would be a major downgrade. I would bet though that she has something worked out with Khanna, given how he is being deferential af to her. And even if he's in Congress by then, Scott will be a lightweight compared to someone like Khanna. Not sure where this leaves the gov race tho

If California Republicans were smart they would throw their support to a moderate dem although I have no idea who that would be.

It's Adam Schiff, setting up the CAGOP for a real Sophie's Choice of a general election if its Schiff v Porter or Schiff v Lee, as I expect it will be.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #145 on: January 11, 2023, 06:09:00 PM »

I'm 100% in on team Lee at this point. Maybe even considering throwing a job app in.

Imagine thinking the only person who called the Afghanistan War for what it ended up being "a nutcase" FYI Soylent Green is made of people.

Thankfully, Scott Wiener is going nowhere. Replacing Lee with him would be a major downgrade. I would bet though that she has something worked out with Khanna, given how he is being deferential af to her. And even if he's in Congress by then, Scott will be a lightweight compared to someone like Khanna. Not sure where this leaves the gov race tho

If California Republicans were smart they would throw their support to a moderate dem although I have no idea who that would be.

It's Adam Schiff, setting up the CAGOP for a real Sophie's Choice of a general election if its Schiff v Porter or Schiff v Lee, as I expect it will be.

Imagine thinking going to war with Al-Qaeda and its Taliban protectors right after 9/11 was the wrong decision.  With all due respect, it is simply a deranged position that doesn’t come close to passing the laugh test.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #146 on: January 11, 2023, 06:19:18 PM »

Imagine thinking going to war with Al-Qaeda and its Taliban protectors right after 9/11 was the wrong decision.  With all due respect, it is simply a deranged position that doesn’t come close to passing the laugh test.

Seriously, as soon as the Taliban refused to turn over Bin Laden for trial, it was a done deal. Afghanistan was 100% a justified and essential war, and then we spent 20 years without a plan for what to do next.
kwabbit

« Reply #147 on: January 11, 2023, 06:30:50 PM »

I wonder if Van Drew is a bad boss or if his staff just ditched him after the party switch.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #148 on: January 11, 2023, 06:31:56 PM »

I wonder if Van Drew is a bad boss or if his staff just ditched him after the party switch.

Probably both.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #149 on: January 11, 2023, 07:24:14 PM »

Yeah, I've been thinking about this. Lee is obviously the furthest left candidate, but she's not a contemporary cable news celebrity the way the other two are, so Republicans don't have an active reason to hate her. Obviously the undervote would be massive, but would Republicans vote for Barbara Lee? Given the alternative, I think they might.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 64  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies