California Senate 2024 - Schiff (D) vs Garvey (R)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 06:38:55 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  California Senate 2024 - Schiff (D) vs Garvey (R)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 64
Author Topic: California Senate 2024 - Schiff (D) vs Garvey (R)  (Read 64522 times)
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #175 on: January 12, 2023, 08:45:33 PM »

I really like Barbara Lee, but we need less elderly people in positions of power. America’s biggest problems stem from the fact that geriatrics refuse to step aside and let younger people take charge. I don’t know how true the allegations against Port are, but even if they are true, I could never support someone who is almost 80 years old unless they’re literally the only option like Biden. Except Bernie of course.

As much as this is true. I don't get how the "representation" argument for young people, which I generally agree with, isn't true for both Black people and women, especially in the Senate?

Tbch, I think the geriatric problem is inextricable from the problem of race and lack of diversity. I wish they didn't have to be pitted against each other here, but when it comes down to it, it's more troubling to me there are currently 0 Black women in the U.S. Senate than the average age, because the latter can be explained unfortunately in part by youth apathy, while the former is almost wholly consequential of social injustice and oppression.
In my opinion, there's no valid reason why states like Maryland, Virginia and Delaware don't at least have 1 Black senator and at the very least a Black woman as senator. It's 0 for 6 on both fronts.

Those are Dem-leaning states with high Black populations. But yet, all of the senators from those states are old/older White men.

Southern society isn't gonna recover from Jim Crow as quickly as most think. The fact that Black politicians thrive in Northern States where they are numerically small, e.g. Barbara Lee herself represents a district that is only about 10% or less Black, actually tells you all you need to know. Warnock is the first Black Democrat elected to the Senate from the South in 80 years of Democratic dominance in the Black community, meanwhile New Jersey, California, Illinois, Massachusetts all elected Black Senators.

Maryland in particular is a disgrace though.

Bestie I hate to break it to you but Jim Crow ain’t fully over yet. We have barely recovered from the civil war and the terroristic borderline warlord-esque aftermath of reconstruction and several decades of cutting off our nose to spit our face. I’ve lived in and out of the south and dear god the difference can’t be more stark. If y’all want me to elaborate I can’t but I don’t wanna derail this thread.

In terms of black senators, in the modern era of popularly elected senators only 2 of the 7 elected black senators where in the south. The first was in Massachusetts (which if you don’t know is used in the south as the stereotypical “the north was segregationist too!” state).

There have only been 11 black senators in American history compared to 2,002 senators total, or .5%. I haven’t done the math for senators since the VRA, but rest assured the number is still minuscule. I have done the math for number of congress members compared to population and black Americans were dead last (Lebanese Americans where first go us?). Black Americans (especially American born) have and continued to be extremely untrusted by the electorate to hold high office.

Garlin GILCHRIST is gonna run for Sen RS can't do to him like they did to Barnes
prag_prog
United States

« Reply #176 on: January 12, 2023, 10:28:10 PM »

I honestly don't see much logic behind backing Barbara Lee over Porter...they are not that different ideologically and they both are gonna vote same 99.9% of the time. Porter is just lot more younger
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #177 on: January 12, 2023, 11:48:05 PM »

I really like Barbara Lee, but we need less elderly people in positions of power. America’s biggest problems stem from the fact that geriatrics refuse to step aside and let younger people take charge. I don’t know how true the allegations against Port are, but even if they are true, I could never support someone who is almost 80 years old unless they’re literally the only option like Biden. Except Bernie of course.

As much as this is true. I don't get how the "representation" argument for young people, which I generally agree with, isn't true for both Black people and women, especially in the Senate?

Tbch, I think the geriatric problem is inextricable from the problem of race and lack of diversity. I wish they didn't have to be pitted against each other here, but when it comes down to it, it's more troubling to me there are currently 0 Black women in the U.S. Senate than the average age, because the latter can be explained unfortunately in part by youth apathy, while the former is almost wholly consequential of social injustice and oppression.
In my opinion, there's no valid reason why states like Maryland, Virginia and Delaware don't at least have 1 Black senator and at the very least a Black woman as senator. It's 0 for 6 on both fronts.

Those are Dem-leaning states with high Black populations. But yet, all of the senators from those states are old/older White men.

Dem establishment supported Van Hollen over Edwards in 2016. Although I imagine Lisa Blunt Rochester would be a/the frontrunner for the next Delaware Senate vacancy.
Oppo

« Reply #178 on: January 13, 2023, 08:06:39 AM »

Dem establishment supported Van Hollen over Edwards in 2016.
As well as Cardin over Mfume in 2006
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #179 on: January 13, 2023, 09:35:09 AM »

Dem establishment supported Van Hollen over Edwards in 2016.
As well as Cardin over Mfume in 2006

Mgume or some Blks are waiting for DC statehood
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #180 on: January 13, 2023, 12:05:09 PM »

Dem establishment supported Van Hollen over Edwards in 2016. Although I imagine Lisa Blunt Rochester would be a/the frontrunner for the next Delaware Senate vacancy.

I've heard rumors than Rochester will go for governor instead, though that may only be a backup if Carper doesn't retire.

Black women do seem next in line for Connecticut, Illinois, and Massachusetts senate vacancies too.
Ragnaroni
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.97, S: 1.74

P
« Reply #181 on: January 13, 2023, 12:12:33 PM »

Why not Newsom run, he's already got some fame and he can hold his seat until 2028 for when he can run for president.
Not Me, Us
KhanOfKhans
United States

« Reply #182 on: January 13, 2023, 12:18:36 PM »

I've heard rumors than Rochester will go for governor instead, though that may only be a backup if Carper doesn't retire.

Black women do seem next in line for Connecticut, Illinois, and Massachusetts senate vacancies too.

I don't know about Connecticut, Hayes has been a consistent underperformer at the House level and there are plenty of other Democrats who could give her a run for her money. Pressley has Massachusetts on lock though, and Underwood would be good in Illinois.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #183 on: January 13, 2023, 05:50:17 PM »

I really hope Khanna jumps in.

Lee is too old, and far too good in her current position. I was one of her constituents, and voted her each time until this last election where I finally jumped states entirely.

Alas, it's almost always NorCal v SoCal instead of establishment v "radical" or technocrat v populist or Republican-Lite vs Humphrey-esque.
Kahane's Grave Is A Gender-Neutral Bathroom
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix
E: 3.41, S: -1.29

P
« Reply #184 on: January 13, 2023, 06:50:07 PM »

I honestly don't see much logic behind backing Barbara Lee over Porter...they are not that different ideologically and they both are gonna vote same 99.9% of the time. Porter is just lot more younger

Lee isn't an asshole
coloradocowboi
United States

« Reply #185 on: January 13, 2023, 08:08:24 PM »

Lee isn't an asshole

She’s authentic. And I think she will leverage that well in this campaign.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #186 on: January 14, 2023, 12:44:15 AM »

Lee isn't an asshole

Neither is Porter
Canis
canis
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

P P P

« Reply #187 on: January 14, 2023, 01:36:33 AM »

Porter's response
LostInOhio
United States
« Reply #188 on: January 14, 2023, 05:49:57 PM »

I still have a feeling it’s going to be Porter regardless of who else jumps in. California is significantly more progressive than the rest of the country and voted for Bernie in the 2020 primaries. The Black vote doesn’t seem to be as monolithic there as it is elsewhere either so I don’t think Barbara Lee would be an automatic shoe-in like some moderate Dems seem to think.
Kahane's Grave Is A Gender-Neutral Bathroom
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix
E: 3.41, S: -1.29

P
« Reply #189 on: January 14, 2023, 08:06:35 PM »

I still have a feeling it’s going to be Porter regardless of who else jumps in. California is significantly more progressive than the rest of the country and voted for Bernie in the 2020 primaries. The Black vote doesn’t seem to be as monolithic there as it is elsewhere either so I don’t think Barbara Lee would be an automatic shoe-in like some moderate Dems seem to think.

CA isn't uniquely progressive. It abolished affirmative action (good) and kept capital punishment (bad)
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #190 on: January 14, 2023, 08:26:51 PM »

Lee is one of the most progressive members of Congress.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #191 on: January 14, 2023, 10:49:18 PM »

1. California didn't vote for Bernie in 2016, nor Obama in '08.

2. And yes it is, it's just that Oakland and Compton/Torrance are the only really concentrated areas.

3. Lee is literally more progressive than Porter, Porter would be the more moderate/centrist option...if anything it's just a better case built for Porter.

That said, it's the Hispanic vote that matters most, and that vote is definitely more liberal than most other states, certainly more than Texas or Florida.
TML
Junior Chimp

« Reply #192 on: January 14, 2023, 11:54:00 PM »

[...]
Porter would be the more moderate/centrist option...
[...]

I don't think Porter would fit the establishment's definition of moderate/centrist - she supports both Medicare for All and the Green New Deal, both of which would be considered "too radical" by the establishment (recall that the vast majority of Democratic Senate candidates that were endorsed by Chuck Schumer and/or the DSCC up until 2020 portrayed themselves as moderate/centrist by, among other things, opposing both of these things).
coloradocowboi
United States

« Reply #193 on: January 15, 2023, 01:43:25 AM »

[...]
[...]

I don't think Porter would fit the establishment's definition of moderate/centrist - she supports both Medicare for All and the Green New Deal, both of which would be considered "too radical" by the establishment (recall that the vast majority of Democratic Senate candidates that were endorsed by Chuck Schumer and/or the DSCC up until 2020 portrayed themselves as moderate/centrist by, among other things, opposing both of these things).

Which is why I wouldn’t be surprised if she, like Elizabeth Warren, flames out under scrutiny. She’s not a natural fit for progressives with Lee in or moderates with Schiff.
TML
Junior Chimp

« Reply #194 on: January 15, 2023, 01:59:23 AM »

[...]
[...]

Which is why I wouldn’t be surprised if she, like Elizabeth Warren, flames out under scrutiny. She’s not a natural fit for progressives with Lee in or moderates with Schiff.

In the case of Warren, she had a history of cozying up to the military industrial complex, along with accepting big money donations from special interests in her Senate campaigns in 2012 and 2018. Those things raised red flags among progressives, and thus her repeated pivoting during and after her 2020 Presidential campaign made sense when the aforementioned factors were taken into consideration. Do you have evidence that Porter has done things similar to what Warren did in her past political campaigns?
Interlocutor is just not there yet
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.04

« Reply #195 on: January 15, 2023, 03:21:38 AM »
« Edited: January 15, 2023, 03:25:00 AM by Interlocutor »

I'm not sure how this obsession over "Who's more progressive/Moderate" will work for anyone considering there's like a 1% difference between how Porter/Lee/Schiff/Khanna vote
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #196 on: January 15, 2023, 03:32:09 AM »

I'm not sure how this obsession over "Who's more progressive/Moderate" will work for anyone considering there's like a 1% difference between how Porter/Lee/Schiff/Khanna vote

Schiff voted for Iraq while Lee voted against Afghanistan.
Canis
canis
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

P P P

« Reply #197 on: January 15, 2023, 04:35:36 AM »
« Edited: January 15, 2023, 12:22:02 PM by Canis »

Porter votes more conservative than 95% of Democrats in Congress
https://voteview.com/person/21954/katie-porter

Adam Schiff votes more conservative than 59% Of Democrats in Congress
https://voteview.com/person/20104/adam-schiff

Ro Khanna votes more liberal than 92% of democrats in congress
https://voteview.com/person/21728/rohit-khanna

Barbra Lee votes more liberal than 99% of Democrats in Congress
https://voteview.com/person/29778/barbara-lee

Their is clearly a significant difference between Khanna, Lee and Porter and Schiff
xavier110
United States
« Reply #198 on: January 15, 2023, 09:01:37 AM »

Porter's response

The nonstop blinking, lol. Makes me believe her!
Holy Unifying Centrist
DTC
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 9.53, S: 10.54

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #199 on: January 15, 2023, 09:20:15 AM »

Porter's response

The nonstop blinking, lol. Makes me believe her!

Nothing unusual about her blinking.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 64  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies