California Senate 2024 - Schiff (D) vs Garvey (R)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 12:45:10 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  California Senate 2024 - Schiff (D) vs Garvey (R)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 64
Author Topic: California Senate 2024 - Schiff (D) vs Garvey (R)  (Read 63820 times)
Dani Rose
danixander92
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2022, 05:20:30 PM »

I'd prefer Porter (younger, more left), but Schiff wouldn't be objectionable.
coloradocowboi
United States

« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2022, 06:04:10 PM »

I'd prefer Porter (younger, more left), but Schiff wouldn't be objectionable.

I used to live in Schiff's district and was not particularly impressed with the constituent services. Lots of promotional emails, not a lot of focus on district-specific issues, particularly homelessness which has been particularly acute in Hollywood since I first moved to LA in 2017. He's also been on the wrong side of issues like bail reform, the Middle East kind of broadly (supported Iraq War, hates Palestinians, cheerleaded the Saudi invasion of Yemen), equitable taxation. He's a SALT deduction liberal running in a state where a working class, mostly nonwhite electorate will decide his fate. There is a reason a drag queen joke candidate got a third of the vote in this last election. Tbf it's Silver Lake and Los Feliz specifically that are the problem, v progressive areas of the city, but still I have a hard time seeing how a moderate with a questionable voting record and no real cultural or geographic base in California will get out of the top two primary. His constituency is truly Hollywood Hills rich ppl, and their money will carry him far but not far enough.

Obviously, I don't plan to vote for him and anticipate supporting pretty much anyone to his left. Heck, even Villaraigosa if it comes to it (pray it doesn't lol)
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2022, 10:00:23 PM »

I would say two things: first, this is going to be a very interesting race. Second, I just hope the next Senator from California isn't Ro Khanna

What's wrong with Khanna in your mind? He's a pretty standard Democrat from what I know.

Well before he had anything to say about the Russian invasion, a large number of red avatars on this forum have intensely disliked Ro Khanna dating back to his campaigns against Mike Honda. I think that this has to do with his presentation, which feels New Democrat even though his actual positions don't fit that. Personally I like him better than I like most members of Congress. Among other things, it would be nice to have someone in the Senate who was seriously opposed to Hindu nationalism.

SF is in a rough place politically because most of the state still associates it with urban chaos, while leftists in California associate it with wealth inequality.

I'm surprised that you would say this, so I'm curious as to whether you've seen anything to indicate it. I'm confused at the idea that most of the state "still" associates San Francisco with urban chaos, because this wasn't something I was aware was happening in a politically relevant way. "San Francisco values" is of course a classic right-wing dogwhistle, but I can't think of a single candidate in the last twenty years who has been hurt by being from San Francisco. The current politician most associated with San Francisco was just reelected in another landslide.

I think Linda Sanchez would be a great candidate, even though no one else seems to think so.

How would she be different than her sister?
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2022, 11:09:04 PM »

coloradocowboi
United States

« Reply #29 on: November 16, 2022, 11:25:54 PM »

I can guarantee you this many congresscritters wouldnt run; and neither will Feinstein because again folks she is visibly exhibiting signa of dementia
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #30 on: November 16, 2022, 11:27:36 PM »

Schiff or Porter would be ideal.  Ro Khanna is a scumbag with no principles.  Someone who started off explicitly pitching themselves as a neo-liberal, corporatist alternative to more progressive Democrats simply can’t be trusted.  He’s about as trustworthy as Sinema.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #31 on: November 16, 2022, 11:31:39 PM »

Schiff or Porter would be ideal.  Ro Khanna is a scumbag with no principles.  Someone who started off explicitly pitching themselves as a neo-liberal, corporatist alternative to more progressive Democrats simply can’t be trusted.  He’s about as trustworthy as Sinema.

Nobody with ties to Silicon Valley should step foot in the US Senate.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #32 on: November 16, 2022, 11:33:42 PM »

Nobody with ties to Silicon Valley should step foot in the US Senate.

Do you have a higher opinion of Silicon Valley or Wall Street
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #33 on: December 12, 2022, 09:41:27 PM »

I know, this is just what everyone wanted to hear...

Feinstein says she won't step down early from Senate

Sen. Dianne Feinstein (D-Calif.) said Monday she has every intention of serving the remainder of her Senate term and is still deliberating whether to retire in 2024.

The latest comments from California's senior senator echo what she has previously said on the topic. But coming with just two years left on her term, they may finally close the door on any lingering speculation that she would step down earlier and allow Gov. Gavin Newsom to appoint a temporary replacement.

At 89, Feinstein is the oldest sitting senator, and in recent years concerns have grown that she may no longer have the stamina and mental sharpness for the job.

In a brief interview Monday evening, Feinstein said she was committed and looking forward to finishing this term.

"Yes. Absolutely," she said. "There's still two years, you know. A lot can happen in two years."

Feinstein added that a decision on whether she will run again in 2024 will come "probably by spring."

Interlocutor is just not there yet
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.04

« Reply #34 on: December 13, 2022, 01:51:52 AM »

I'm not a Feinstein fan at all, but I'd rather wait 2 years and pick from a fresh slate than be stuck with a pair of Newsom appointees for the next 2 decades
Yoda
United States

« Reply #35 on: December 13, 2022, 02:32:32 AM »

I like him too, he's been relentless in investigating 1/6 and trump's criminality, but I would rather have a woman replace Feinstein.
coloradocowboi
United States

« Reply #36 on: December 13, 2022, 02:36:36 PM »

I like him too, he's been relentless in investigating 1/6 and trump's criminality, but I would rather have a woman replace Feinstein.

That's why I'm not too sure why Schiff is getting in. Even his own district is gonna be filled with Katie Porter or Ro Khanna voters (one of them will likely defer to the other, prolly Khanna cuz he could easily win Gov in 2026 against a much weaker field, i.e. kounalakis). It also sounds like there is a nonzero chance that Barbara Lee is getting in, which doesn't make too much sense to me given her age, but also would make her imo the easy frontrunner.

If she doesn't, there will be a huge incentive to a nonwhite candidate to get in. There may be an incentive to a Latino candidate regardless. At any rate, I don't really know who Adam Schiff's constituency is that makes him this confident about mounting a Senate bid
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #37 on: December 13, 2022, 04:56:50 PM »

Adam Schiff likely next Sen kicked off Intel Committee
Bakersfield Uber Alles
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #38 on: December 13, 2022, 04:57:13 PM »

That's why I'm not too sure why Schiff is getting in. Even his own district is gonna be filled with Katie Porter or Ro Khanna voters (one of them will likely defer to the other, prolly Khanna cuz he could easily win Gov in 2026 against a much weaker field, i.e. kounalakis). It also sounds like there is a nonzero chance that Barbara Lee is getting in, which doesn't make too much sense to me given her age, but also would make her imo the easy frontrunner.

If she doesn't, there will be a huge incentive to a nonwhite candidate to get in. There may be an incentive to a Latino candidate regardless. At any rate, I don't really know who Adam Schiff's constituency is that makes him this confident about mounting a Senate bid

That’s a really good point. He’s basically just a generic Dem without any demographic bonus. He’s more well-known among political junkies thanks to his investigations of Trump, but idk that that’s enough in CA.
Yoda
United States

« Reply #39 on: December 14, 2022, 12:14:59 AM »

Adam Schiff likely next Sen kicked off Intel Committee

IMO it's very unlikely republicans follow through on their threats to boot Schiff, Swalwell, Omar, etc. Their majority is just too small. Even if they did in theory have the support of all House republicans, they likely fear the revenge democrats would exact upon them if/when democrats win the House back. Democrats would have every incentive and the cover to kick out all of the republican members who asked trump for pardons, all of these members who asked Meadows to have trump declare martial law, etc. You're talking at least a dozen republican members right there.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #40 on: December 14, 2022, 12:22:20 AM »

I would say two things: first, this is going to be a very interesting race. Second, I just hope the next Senator from California isn't Ro Khanna

What's wrong with Khanna in your mind? He's a pretty standard Democrat from what I know.

In general, I always considered him to be rather weak in his position on Russia. His support to now-withdrawn letter of CPC to Biden which was a big disappointment and which basically asks to push Ukraine into negotiations and ceding territories, reaffirm my judgment on him. In the Senate there are already some pro-Putin members (e.g. Rand Paul, Josh Hawley), one will be sworn-in on January 3, 2023 (J.D. Vance, who "doesn't really care what happens to Ukraine one way or another") and I don't want this "Putin caucus" to grow any more

Ah, ok-- I should've guessed. If he had just asked for negotiations then I'd be ok with that; even if they don't go anywhere, it's important to at least give Putin the feeling that he has a way out of this so that he doesn't go ballistic. Pushing Zelensky to actually cede territory is disqualifying though IMO.

Yeah, I assume he's just asking for negotiations. Khanna has his flaws, but he's way better than most of the other people getting mentioned here.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #41 on: December 14, 2022, 09:40:10 AM »

At least we are gonna have two new Senators Adam Schiff and Ruben GALLEGO
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #42 on: January 02, 2023, 04:14:56 PM »

London Breed or Katie Porter would be good.

Adam Schiff is another white guy for the Dems.

Feinstein needs to be forced to retire.

Feinstein, Menendez, Carper, Cardin need to go.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #43 on: January 02, 2023, 04:29:38 PM »
« Edited: January 02, 2023, 04:36:24 PM by Mr.Barkari Sellers »

London Breed or Katie Porter would be good.

Adam Schiff is another white guy for the Dems.

Feinstein needs to be forced to retire.

Feinstein, Menendez, Carper, Cardin need to go.

Bob MENENDEZ is Cuban we need Latinos in the S we have Padulla whom is Mexican, Bob MENENDEZ has helped D's solidify NJ since 2006 when he almost lost to Kean Jr and Kean Jr, Cartwright, Santos, Garcia and Brobert are on the endangered species list like Collns is in 26

If anyone can help D's defeat Kean Jr it's MENENDEZ he helped defeat him in 2006 by a landslide and Adam Schiff is very smart he is on the Intel Committee, not too many Ds are gonna go to the S because we are just 5 seats AWAY

As far as Cardin, D's are contemplating DC Statehood and two blk.Ds will represent MD anyways D' are contemplating DC Statehood after 24 because Act blue is targeting FL with Matthew Sancrainte, Brown, Tester and Gallego without Sinema and Manchin loses to Justice

Sancrainte is openly gay like Santos but has tons of money , Biden is only 3 pts back DeSantis inflated the polls with that IAN bounce but it's over because the people that lost money were rich people that lost Yachts not middle class or poor own boats
Canis
canis
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

P P P

« Reply #44 on: January 02, 2023, 08:46:28 PM »

Porter just had a big scandal regarding her treatment of staff, not sure she runs for senate at this point.  The main two candidates im likely to support at this point are either Khanna or Barbra Lee, though ill wait to see who announces and what their platform is before I make any commitments.
Zedonathin2020
United States

« Reply #45 on: January 02, 2023, 10:09:01 PM »
« Edited: January 02, 2023, 10:13:04 PM by Zedonathin2020 »

Porter just had a big scandal regarding her treatment of staff, not sure she runs for senate at this point.  The main two candidates im likely to support at this point are either Khanna or Barbra Lee, though ill wait to see who announces and what their platform is before I make any commitments.

Literally every politician ever has had a scandal at one point or another and they keep getting elected, not sure why it would be different for Porter.
Interlocutor is just not there yet
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.04

« Reply #46 on: January 04, 2023, 01:28:03 AM »
« Edited: January 04, 2023, 01:33:21 AM by Interlocutor »

Porter just had a big scandal regarding her treatment of staff, not sure she runs for senate at this point.  The main two candidates im likely to support at this point are either Khanna or Barbra Lee, though ill wait to see who announces and what their platform is before I make any commitments.

The only news outlets I've seen writing about any kind of staff-related scandals are Fox News, The NY Post and various right-wing publications.

Also the scandal itself (Assuming it's the COVID one) doesn't seem all that damning. The only reason they're latching onto it is because the staffer in question was a veteran.
coloradocowboi
United States

« Reply #47 on: January 04, 2023, 02:25:56 PM »

Porter just had a big scandal regarding her treatment of staff, not sure she runs for senate at this point.  The main two candidates im likely to support at this point are either Khanna or Barbra Lee, though ill wait to see who announces and what their platform is before I make any commitments.

If she gets in, I'm all in on Barbara Lee. At this point, I think she'd be the frontrunner.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #48 on: January 05, 2023, 11:16:38 AM »

If she gets in, I'm all in on Barbara Lee. At this point, I think she'd be the frontrunner.

LoL Adam Schiff is the Fav he is anxious to get outta H
Ragnaroni
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.97, S: 1.74

P
« Reply #49 on: January 05, 2023, 12:05:53 PM »

It sure as hell will never be a Republican. What if Feinstein decides to run for another term? Porter has a chance.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 64  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies