California Senate 2024 - Schiff (D) vs Garvey (R)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 22, 2024, 10:48:29 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  California Senate 2024 - Schiff (D) vs Garvey (R)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 64
Author Topic: California Senate 2024 - Schiff (D) vs Garvey (R)  (Read 67292 times)
Interlocutor is just not there yet
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.04

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: January 10, 2023, 09:14:59 PM »
« edited: January 10, 2023, 11:54:20 PM by Interlocutor »

Endorsed.

I don't remember folks being this heated about her in the past. Is it solely due to the COVID story + announcement timing? Has is it been bottling up for years and it just came pouring out today?

Anyway, I'd also be alright with Lee, I could go either way with Khanna and I'm not enthusiastic about Schiff
soundchaser

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.26

P P P
« Reply #101 on: January 10, 2023, 09:16:19 PM »

Endorsed, regardless of who else runs.  

Side note: Porter was clearly right to fire that moron for ignoring the office’s COVID testing policies and then proceeding to give her COVID; if some selfish dumba** gave me COVID and put my and my family’s lives at risk with their stupidity, you better believe I’d fire them too!  This isn’t a scandal and there is no good-faith argument for pretending that it is
The person was not ignoring the office COVID policies from what we know. Would you fire someone for getting a disease outside of their control? No one purposely gets a disease and firing someone for it is genuinely misguided.

If she’s as irresponsible as she was when she was with Porter’s office, then I wouldn’t be surprised if she got herself sick by doing something similarly stupid tbh.  I’d definitely fire someone for violating office COVID policies and giving me COVID as a direct result, if that’s what you’re asking.

If you fire someone for getting an incredibly transmissible disease, you have no business being in charge of firing anyone.

Seriously — this is a bullsh**t way of communicating about a virus, and epidemiologists who were around for the AIDS crisis have been screaming about it from day one, but no one seems to listen.
Spectator
United States

« Reply #102 on: January 10, 2023, 09:24:51 PM »
« Edited: January 10, 2023, 09:45:31 PM by Spectator »

Side note: Porter was clearly right to fire that moron for ignoring the office’s COVID testing policies and then proceeding to give her COVID; if some selfish dumba** gave me COVID and put my and my family’s lives at risk with their stupidity, you better believe I’d fire them too!  This isn’t a scandal and there is no good-faith argument for pretending that it is
The person was not ignoring the office COVID policies from what we know. Would you fire someone for getting a disease outside of their control? No one purposely gets a disease and firing someone for it is genuinely misguided.

If she’s as irresponsible as she was when she was with Porter’s office, then I wouldn’t be surprised if she got herself sick by doing something similarly stupid tbh.  I’d definitely fire someone for violating office COVID policies and giving me COVID as a direct result, if that’s what you’re asking.

That staffer's friend was brutally murdered, so I suspect she had bigger things on her mind than testing for a disease that's not even really a threat anymore.  

Seriously, it's one thing if this story happened in May 2020. But imagine still being scared of COVID in summer 2022. That's not the kind of person we need in a high-profile position like being a Senator from the country's most populous state. Katie Porter can f**k off to Communist China where she would be much more at home.

- It sucks that her friend got murdered, but that doesn’t give her the right to put Porter and her family’s lives in danger with her selfishness, stupidity, and irresponsibility (to say nothing of everyone else in Porter’s office’s lives).

- Re: COVID: With all due respect, you have no idea what you’re talking about.  Incidentally, Communist China’s policies on COVID seem to be far closer to what you want than the policies at Porter’s office.

Porter’s last response was unempathetic and completely self-centered. Oh no, how in the world will someone making over $200k a year plus per diem ever take care of their child. What a nasty thing to say unprovoked.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #103 on: January 10, 2023, 09:29:01 PM »

Having worked for a number of politicians, it's basically 50/50 whether you're going to get an empathetic response or one like Porter's.

I hope Schiff wins.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #104 on: January 10, 2023, 11:14:38 PM »

Porter endorsed.

The nonsense about her supposedly mistreating her staff gives me flashbacks to Klobuchar. This wouldn't even have been a story if either politician were male. Then they'd just be seen as "tough" and "demanding" bosses at worst.

Sexism is maybe the dumbest, most irrational and unjustified of all prejudices, which is really saying something. It deserves to be decisively defeated at every turn.
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #105 on: January 10, 2023, 11:27:05 PM »

Ya know for a state with 40 democratic congressman and entirely democratic state wide officials, there really isn’t any one that has a real star power or that I would automatically endorses. Sure there’s plenty I like just fine, Malia Cohen, Katy Porter, Ro Khanna, Barbara Lee, Ted Lieu, Adam Schiff, Mark Takano, but none of them jump out as an obvious front runner

This is going to be a bloodbath
soundchaser

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #106 on: January 11, 2023, 01:41:23 AM »

Porter endorsed.

The nonsense about her supposedly mistreating her staff gives me flashbacks to Klobuchar. This wouldn't even have been a story if either politician were male. Then they'd just be seen as "tough" and "demanding" bosses at worst.

Sexism is maybe the dumbest, most irrational and unjustified of all prejudices, which is really saying something. It deserves to be decisively defeated at every turn.

I can assure you, I’d think this was fundamentally gross even if Schiff were the one doing it.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #107 on: January 11, 2023, 03:01:18 AM »

Porter endorsed.

I can assure you, I’d think this was fundamentally gross even if Schiff were the one doing it.

I don't believe you. Even if you believe it, I strongly suspect you are subconsciously influenced by sexism. This despite the fact that women are literally half the human race and are at least as smart as men on average. That's why I say it's the dumbest of all prejudices. The fact is the "evidence" that Porter was somehow abusive as a boss is extremely weak at best, as documented in this thread alone, but as with Klobuchar people seem quicker to believe the narrative and quicker to shoot down conflicting evidence than they ever likely would with a male like Schiff.

At the end of the day, we need younger people, more liberal people, and yes, more women in power. Porter is 13 years younger than Schiff. She is a better pick for the Senate IMO on that basis alone. The Democratic Party's biggest weakness perhaps is preferring old names to rising stars, an ironically "conservative" approach compared to the GOP actually. Time to move on and get over that BS.
MargieCat
United States

« Reply #108 on: January 11, 2023, 04:21:15 AM »

I wonder if Betty Yee will run.

She could be a good temporary seat-holder if Feinstein doesn't make it through her term, although Newsom did promise to appoint a Black woman.

The benefit to Yee would be that it would not create a house vacancy in this narrowly divided house.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #109 on: January 11, 2023, 07:34:28 AM »

If you fire someone for getting an incredibly transmissible disease, you have no business being in charge of firing anyone.

Seriously — this is a bullsh**t way of communicating about a virus, and epidemiologists who were around for the AIDS crisis have been screaming about it from day one, but no one seems to listen.

Once again, no one is being fired for getting COVID.  

1) Apparently, the person in question was a Fellow with Porter's office who wasn't even fired, but rather mildly chewed out and ordered to work remotely for the duration of her fellowship with Porter's office;

2) The issue has nothing to do with the person getting COVID and everything to do with the fact that the person knowingly violated Porter's office's COVID testing policies (as the person in question even acknowledges) and that this endangered the lives of everyone else at Porter's office, as well as directly resulting in Porter herself getting COVID.  

3) Speaking as someone who is in an elevated risk category for COVID, I would never blame someone for giving me COVID if they followed all proper procedures (even if, God forbid, the worst were to happen).  However, if I clearly caught it because someone else deliberately violated our office's COVID safety policies, I'd be pretty d*** pissed about that.  Put simply, the problem here isn't that the Fellow got COVID or even that she gave it to Porter.  The problem is that the person violated the office's COVID policies and this decision appears to have directly resulted in Porter getting COVID (to say nothing of the fact that it potentially put the lives of everyone at the office who came into contact with this individual at risk).  
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #110 on: January 11, 2023, 07:36:49 AM »

We have to wait for Feinstein and Feinstein said she isn't declaring right now
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #111 on: January 11, 2023, 07:38:58 AM »

No, we don't.  Feinstein is pretty clearly unfit to serve at this point and has been for some time (and was a pretty lousy Senator to begin with).  Feinstein should've resigned years ago and should be primaried if she refuses to finally do the right thing.
Zedonathin2020
United States

« Reply #112 on: January 11, 2023, 08:27:55 AM »

No, we don't.  Feinstein is pretty clearly unfit to serve at this point and has been for some time (and was a pretty lousy Senator to begin with).  Feinstein should've resigned years ago and should be primaried if she refuses to finally do the right thing.

I wouldn’t say resign per say, but she definitely should’ve retired in 2018 or 2012, maybe even 2006.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #113 on: January 11, 2023, 09:22:46 AM »

Endorsed.

I don't remember folks being this heated about her in the past. Is it solely due to the COVID story + announcement timing? Has is it been bottling up for years and it just came pouring out today?

Anyway, I'd also be alright with Lee, I could go either way with Khanna and I'm not enthusiastic about Schiff

That and the flood gates seemed to have opened that she is abusive to staff and runs a toxic workplace.

I can't speak for everyone but this particular trait really bugs the hell out of me and I'd rather not reward that kind of behavior (not that I live in CA)
LostInOhio
United States
« Reply #114 on: January 11, 2023, 09:39:29 AM »

I don’t care if a politician is “abusive to their staff” as long as they are effective and intelligent like Porter. I don’t work for them, why should that bother me?
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #115 on: January 11, 2023, 09:41:22 AM »

I think Porter would make an excellent Senator BUT I do agree that it's kind of tactless to announce this bid when Feinstein hasn't announced her plans yet and amidst a natural disaster in the state.

I wasn't sure whether he's going to run, but if he does, I'll strongly lean towards Schiff. "Pencil neck schifty Schiff" greatly gained stature during the Trump years.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #116 on: January 11, 2023, 09:49:14 AM »

Where is the proof that Porter is actually terrible to her staff? The entire hubbub about those texts seemed like there was a lot of missing context and the full story wasn't really put forth (shockingly!)
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #117 on: January 11, 2023, 10:31:26 AM »

Any chance we could see Sydney Kamlager-Dove run? She’s a freshman but has a long track in state politics.
soundchaser

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #118 on: January 11, 2023, 11:02:38 AM »

Porter endorsed.

I don't believe you. Even if you believe it, I strongly suspect you are subconsciously influenced by sexism. This despite the fact that women are literally half the human race and are at least as smart as men on average. That's why I say it's the dumbest of all prejudices. The fact is the "evidence" that Porter was somehow abusive as a boss is extremely weak at best, as documented in this thread alone, but as with Klobuchar people seem quicker to believe the narrative and quicker to shoot down conflicting evidence than they ever likely would with a male like Schiff.

At the end of the day, we need younger people, more liberal people, and yes, more women in power. Porter is 13 years younger than Schiff. She is a better pick for the Senate IMO on that basis alone. The Democratic Party's biggest weakness perhaps is preferring old names to rising stars, an ironically "conservative" approach compared to the GOP actually. Time to move on and get over that BS.

I…what? I mean, believe what you want, but you’re very much barking up the wrong tree here. I find this particular incident distasteful, and the language used in those texts fundamentally unhelpful, but that doesn’t necessarily mean I think Porter is an “abusive” boss or whatever. It’s emblematic of the way we talk about disease in this country, and it smacks of poor judgment, but I don’t know that I’m drawing any conclusions beyond that.

Not that it matters, since I don’t know enough people currently living in California to swing this race in a particular direction.
BenjiG98
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.00, S: -2.26

P P P
« Reply #119 on: January 11, 2023, 12:09:09 PM »

Rouda will NOT be running for Senate and will instead pursue CA-47:

jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #120 on: January 11, 2023, 01:03:08 PM »

Side note: Porter was clearly right to fire that moron for ignoring the office’s COVID testing policies and then proceeding to give her COVID; if some selfish dumba** gave me COVID and put my and my family’s lives at risk with their stupidity, you better believe I’d fire them too!  This isn’t a scandal and there is no good-faith argument for pretending that it is

That staffer's friend was brutally murdered, so I suspect she had bigger things on her mind than testing for a disease that's not even really a threat anymore.

Seriously, it's one thing if this story happened in May 2020. But imagine still being scared of COVID in summer 2022. That's not the kind of person we need in a high-profile position like being a Senator from the country's most populous state. Katie Porter can f**k off to Communist China where she would be much more at home.

Oh.. I certainly do not support Porter in anyway now.

Covid was even bigger hype than "inflation"/
BenjiG98
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.00, S: -2.26

P P P
« Reply #121 on: January 11, 2023, 01:07:29 PM »

Barbara Lee is IN:
GALeftist
sansymcsansface
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -7.29, S: -9.48

P
« Reply #122 on: January 11, 2023, 01:12:27 PM »

I'd vote for Barbara Lee in a heartbeat. Shame she's so old though.
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #123 on: January 11, 2023, 01:15:02 PM »

Somewhat surprised she’s running, but makes things a lot more exciting. She of course has my full support.
Zedonathin2020
United States

« Reply #124 on: January 11, 2023, 01:17:07 PM »

Barbara Lee is IN:

I’ve said this before and I’ll keep saying it, why would anybody want to replace a would be 91-year-old with a would be 78-year-old that would be just 5 years younger than DiFi is now in 2030? If she was about 30 even 20 years younger I’d gladly support her. But that just isn’t the case.

It’s the 2020s, we need to stop electing 70+ year olds to office.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 64  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies