California Senate 2024 - Schiff (D) vs Garvey (R)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 04:13:10 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  California Senate 2024 - Schiff (D) vs Garvey (R)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 ... 64
Author Topic: California Senate 2024 - Schiff (D) vs Garvey (R)  (Read 64422 times)
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #200 on: January 15, 2023, 10:28:23 AM »
« edited: January 15, 2023, 10:33:09 AM by The Address That Must Not be Named »

I'm not sure how this obsession over "Who's more progressive/Moderate" will work for anyone considering there's like a 1% difference between how Porter/Lee/Schiff/Khanna vote
Porter votes 95% more conservative than 95% of Democrats in Congress
https://voteview.com/person/21954/katie-porter

Adam Schiff votes more conservative than 59% Of Democrats in Congress
https://voteview.com/person/20104/adam-schiff

Ro Khanna votes more liberal than 92% of congress
https://voteview.com/person/21728/rohit-khanna

Barbra Lee votes more liberal than 99% of Democrats in Congress
https://voteview.com/person/29778/barbara-lee

Their is clearly a significant difference between Khanna, Lee and Porter and Schiff

What are five (or heck, even three) specific major policy issues where Porter and Schiff have consistently cast “conservative” votes?  Stuff like this is incredibly misleading.  

Honestly, the only one of the three who has truly suspect progressive credentials is Khanna and even then, that’s more b/c of the time early in his political career where he tried to brand himself as a pro-business moderate ally of Silicon Valley tech companies.  Since actually getting to Congress, he seems to have settled on a progressive schtick.  He’s also very transparently ambitious in a Romney circa 2007-2012 sort of way to where I just don’t trust him not to treat being a Senator as a stepping stone for some doomed vanity bid for President instead of a serious job.

The fact is that Schiff and especially Porter and Lee are all reliable progressives.  I can’t stand Lee and even I can acknowledge that she’d be a reliable progressive vote.  My issues with her are that she’s probably too old to build up enough seniority to become the top Dem on a major Senate committee, and that her absolutely batsh!t Afghanistan vote shows such poor judgement as to make her a non-starter as far as I’m concerned.  

Schiff is plenty liberal, but he’s very much an establishment liberal who I think is running less b/c of what he wants to do in the Senate than b/c he got stripped of his ranking member slot by McCarthy.  Frankly, we can do better given the current field.  He should just stay in the House.  Plus, the top two system dooms him in the runoff due to his negative name recognition with Republicans.

Porter has a proven track record of standing up to big business, is a tried and true progressive, and has held down a competitive House seat for three terms.  There’s every reason to thing she’d be an effective Senator (as opposed to merely an attention-seeker or a random backbencher) and there’s a very real chance she could one day chair the Senate Banking Committee which would be a major win for those of us who think the government shouldn’t be in the back pocket of corporate America.  

And if some folks prefer Lee, fair enough.  But let’s not pretend Porter is some sort of moderate masquerading as s progressive.  That’s just objectively not true and I think everyone here knows that whether they admit it or not.  She was one of the national progressive movement’s rising stars and then she decides she wants to run for Senate and suddenly the folks who support Lee would have us believe Porter’s really a ModerateHero ConservaDem?  Give me a break Roll Eyes
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #201 on: January 15, 2023, 07:08:12 PM »

I think they're both great Smiley
coloradocowboi
United States

« Reply #202 on: January 15, 2023, 07:17:40 PM »

I just can’t with the “no true Scotsman” stuff. I truly believe both Katie Porter and Barbara Lee are motivated by a mix of altruistic and ego related motives and would be happy to be represented by either. Adam Schiff on the other hand is a hard no for me, especially as his former constituent
kwabbit

« Reply #203 on: January 15, 2023, 08:28:04 PM »

Any news on the GOP side? If there’s consolidation then it might not be a D vs. D matchup. Usually GOP congress members don’t run statewide campaigns because they’re futile, but maybe an otherwise retiring member will give it a go.
No War, but the War on Christmas
iBizzBee
Junior Chimp

« Reply #204 on: January 15, 2023, 10:15:53 PM »

Thank God my home state is finally getting some fresh leadership; I'd go with Porter but California has a great bench of amazing Progressive and Left-wing leaders coming up.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #205 on: January 16, 2023, 01:35:41 AM »

Honestly, I don't care about Lee's age at all here. Even if she only serves one term, it'd be worth it to see her elected to the Senate. She's been an icon to the left for decades and would be amazing even for just one 6-year Senate run.

I'm 100% in on team Lee at this point. Maybe even considering throwing a job app in.

Gross.  It’s bad enough having that nutcase in the House; hopefully she loses the primary and the country can finally be rid of her.

Imagine thinking the only person who called the Afghanistan War for what it ended up being "a nutcase" FYI Soylent Green is made of people.

This. Plus it’d give the left six years to come up with a good candidate in 2030 (Scott Wiener)?

Thankfully, Scott Wiener is going nowhere. Replacing Lee with him would be a major downgrade. I would bet though that she has something worked out with Khanna, given how he is being deferential af to her. And even if he's in Congress by then, Scott will be a lightweight compared to someone like Khanna. Not sure where this leaves the gov race tho

If California Republicans were smart they would throw their support to a moderate dem although I have no idea who that would be.

But the CA GOP will just run several candidates with no shot of making the top 2

It's Adam Schiff, setting up the CAGOP for a real Sophie's Choice of a general election if its Schiff v Porter or Schiff v Lee, as I expect it will be.

Imagine thinking going to war with Al-Qaeda and its Taliban protectors right after 9/11 was the wrong decision.  With all due respect, it is simply a deranged position that doesn’t come close to passing the laugh test.

It was an utter catastrophe lol
coloradocowboi
United States

« Reply #206 on: January 16, 2023, 10:47:21 AM »

Imagine thinking going to war with Al-Qaeda and its Taliban protectors right after 9/11 was the wrong decision.  With all due respect, it is simply a deranged position that doesn’t come close to passing the laugh test.

I know… 4000 troops dead for nothing. Between 1 and 2 trillion dollars wasted. Hundreds of thousands of afghans dead or sent packing to Europe. But Barbara Lee Is the “deranged” one for not wanting ceaseless carnage with no goal
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #207 on: January 16, 2023, 10:56:56 AM »
« Edited: January 16, 2023, 11:02:49 AM by Mr.Barkari Sellers »

Imagine thinking going to war with Al-Qaeda and its Taliban protectors right after 9/11 was the wrong decision.  With all due respect, it is simply a deranged position that doesn’t come close to passing the laugh test.

I know… 4000 troops dead for nothing. Between 1 and 2 trillion dollars wasted. Hundreds of thousands of afghans dead or sent packing to Europe. But Barbara Lee Is the “deranged” one for not wanting ceaseless carnage with no goal

There is an open seat for Gov in 26 no one wants to lose the 24 Senate race but if Feinstein manages to won Porter or Lee can run for Gov, especially Porter that's why Feinstein may stick it out because others can run for Gov at least 1 mote term, Senator Grassley is the same age as Feinstein, and he won

Same with Sinema she may stick around because it will be hard for Gallego to run in a 3 way race and he can give the seat to Rs
coloradocowboi
United States

« Reply #208 on: January 17, 2023, 12:20:23 AM »

Imagine thinking going to war with Al-Qaeda and its Taliban protectors right after 9/11 was the wrong decision.  With all due respect, it is simply a deranged position that doesn’t come close to passing the laugh test.

There is an open seat for Gov in 26 no one wants to lose the 24 Senate race but if Feinstein manages to won Porter or Lee can run for Gov, especially Porter that's why Feinstein may stick it out because others can run for Gov at least 1 mote term, Senator Grassley is the same age as Feinstein, and he won

Same with Sinema she may stick around because it will be hard for Gallego to run in a 3 way race and he can give the seat to Rs

The gov race is less appealing because whoever runs is gonna have to square up against kounalakis absolutely loaded with real estate developer cash. She will be a ruthless campaigner too. Of all the speculated senate candidates, I see khanna as best positioned to take her on financially speaking and he’s made a few moves to signs he will defer to Lee and run for gov

I think this is the last stop for all three expected senate candidates, which sucks that they won’t be in the house (except tbh Adam Schiff w/e). Porter will obviously be replaced with someone less progressive, and there is a decent chance Lee will too, regardless of the outcome.

Although I think Berkeley mayor Jesse arreguin probably has her seat if he wants it
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

« Reply #209 on: January 26, 2023, 07:59:36 AM »

Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #210 on: January 26, 2023, 09:10:37 AM »

It's a Runoff if no candidate gets to 50 then the top two goes to a Eday and Feinstein can get 46 percent in the primary but fail to get 51 in the GE

Also, there is an open Gov race Feinstein won't feel she is cheating Porter or other candidates if she is in because they can Run for Gov

I expect Feinstein to run she is the same age as Grassley but we don't know
coloradocowboi
United States

« Reply #211 on: January 26, 2023, 10:02:56 AM »

Go away!
Zedonathin2020
United States

« Reply #212 on: January 26, 2023, 10:15:20 AM »

BREAKING: Adam Schiff officially in

Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #213 on: January 26, 2023, 10:21:13 AM »

Endorsed.

It's funny nobody cares to wait for DiFi's "announcement" of her plans.
Zedonathin2020
United States

« Reply #214 on: January 26, 2023, 10:25:48 AM »

Endorsed.

I mean given the fact that DiFi is old enough to have went to her junior prom with Jesus Christ himself, its not THAT surprising
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #215 on: January 26, 2023, 10:29:21 AM »

Endorsed.

I mean given the fact that DiFi is old enough to have went to her junior prom with Jesus Christ himself, its not THAT surprising

Sure, but usually candidates still wait until the incumbent officially announces to retire. The ridiculous part of this is DiFi holding out so long. In fact she should have retired in 2012 already or 2018 at latest.
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #216 on: January 26, 2023, 10:31:16 AM »

I have nothing against Schiff, I think he's great, but I prefer Porter. Nevertheless, this primary is going to become one of those proxy establishment vs. progressives primaries and it's going to suck.
gerritcole
goatofalltrades

« Reply #217 on: January 26, 2023, 10:45:19 AM »

i hope feinstein runs again, what a primary that would be
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #218 on: January 26, 2023, 11:05:16 AM »

Just to see her come in 3rd or 4th in the June primary would be fun.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #219 on: January 26, 2023, 11:10:16 AM »

Feinstein needs to stop being annoying. Just announce the god damn retirement already.
Left Wing
FalterinArc
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -8.26, S: -6.09

« Reply #220 on: January 26, 2023, 11:10:57 AM »

Just to see her come in 3rd or 4th in the June primary would be fun.
The primary is in March, but yes. What’s even funnier is her statement that she won’t decide until 2024 isn’t even allowed since the filing deadline at the end of this year.
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #221 on: January 26, 2023, 11:11:09 AM »

Endorsed.

There’s a decent chance DiFi doesn’t live to make her “announcement”
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #222 on: January 26, 2023, 11:14:56 AM »

Endorsed.

I was thinking this but didn't want to say it...
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #223 on: January 26, 2023, 11:23:13 AM »

Endorsed.

I was thinking this but didn't want to say it...

The woman is about 10 years past life expectancy. It’s sad, but, combined with her more recent mental decline, she is likely in very poor health. She’s been married three times and has outlived all of them. I truly hopes she can retire and live out her days comfortable, but that’s not a given.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #224 on: January 26, 2023, 11:28:28 AM »

Schiff is probably screwed if it ends up as Dem vs Dem in November right? Seems like Republicans hate him so much they’d hold their nose and vote for Porter. Maybe for Lee too, but keep in mind that she is black.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 ... 64  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies