California Senate 2024 - Schiff (D) vs Garvey (R)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 07:23:08 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  California Senate 2024 - Schiff (D) vs Garvey (R)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 64
Author Topic: California Senate 2024 - Schiff (D) vs Garvey (R)  (Read 64445 times)
coloradocowboi
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #150 on: January 11, 2023, 08:25:46 PM »

Honestly, I don't care about Lee's age at all here. Even if she only serves one term, it'd be worth it to see her elected to the Senate. She's been an icon to the left for decades and would be amazing even for just one 6-year Senate run.

I'm 100% in on team Lee at this point. Maybe even considering throwing a job app in.

Gross.  It’s bad enough having that nutcase in the House; hopefully she loses the primary and the country can finally be rid of her.

Imagine thinking the only person who called the Afghanistan War for what it ended up being "a nutcase" FYI Soylent Green is made of people.

This. Plus it’d give the left six years to come up with a good candidate in 2030 (Scott Wiener)?

Thankfully, Scott Wiener is going nowhere. Replacing Lee with him would be a major downgrade. I would bet though that she has something worked out with Khanna, given how he is being deferential af to her. And even if he's in Congress by then, Scott will be a lightweight compared to someone like Khanna. Not sure where this leaves the gov race tho

If California Republicans were smart they would throw their support to a moderate dem although I have no idea who that would be.

But the CA GOP will just run several candidates with no shot of making the top 2

It's Adam Schiff, setting up the CAGOP for a real Sophie's Choice of a general election if its Schiff v Porter or Schiff v Lee, as I expect it will be.

Imagine thinking going to war with Al-Qaeda and its Taliban protectors right after 9/11 was the wrong decision.  With all due respect, it is simply a deranged position that doesn’t come close to passing the laugh test.

Why is the notion that we should engage third world countries as equals and not just massacre thousands of their people laughable to you?

I won’t bother arguing with you. The same military industrial complex you are praising also funded and armed the taliban in the first instance. There is nothing funny about it, the people running our military don’t value our tax dollars or human life. Barbara Lee was alone in her bravery to tell it like it is
Kahane's Grave Is A Gender-Neutral Bathroom
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix
E: 3.41, S: -1.29

P
« Reply #151 on: January 11, 2023, 09:38:17 PM »

So we're sexist for not wanting to put Katie Porter in higher office? Even though the alternate for most of us is Barbara Lee? WTF Alben.

Personally I'm a believer in the idea that privileged people (like the rich or members of congress) should never behave that way towards someone less fortunate, particularly if the latter apologizes profusely. An exception would be if it is literally Goldman Sachs and everyone involved is rich.
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #152 on: January 11, 2023, 10:05:05 PM »

Barbara Lee is too old. Adam Schiff is meh. I think that he should stay in the House (same way I feel about Ro Khanna). Katie Porter is OK.

The California Democratic Party has a weak bench.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #153 on: January 11, 2023, 11:32:58 PM »

It doesn’t, and at least it can win elections.
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #154 on: January 11, 2023, 11:40:24 PM »

Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #155 on: January 11, 2023, 11:48:12 PM »

You’re right, they have no obvious rising star but they have literally forty congressmen all the state wide offices, and 32 state senators. None are amazing or truly jump out to me, but there’s plenty of very good options
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #156 on: January 11, 2023, 11:49:24 PM »

I don't have a strong opinion on Barbara Lee but the idea of starting a Senate career at 79 is objectively ridiculous. Especially when the whole point is that DiFi needs to go because she's too old. I don't know if Lee is "more progressive" than Porter by some metrics, but even if she is, what progressives in the Senate need is someone who can be there for the long haul and build the kind of influence that only accrues with seniority (not to mention for her state as well - once DiFi is gone the most senior Senator will be from the 2021 cohort). This strikes me as a vanity run frankly and I hope she reconsiders.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #157 on: January 11, 2023, 11:55:49 PM »

I don't have a strong opinion on Barbara Lee but the idea of starting a Senate career at 79 is objectively ridiculous. Especially when the whole point is that DiFi needs to go because she's too old. I don't know if Lee is "more progressive" than Porter by some metrics, but even if she is, what progressives in the Senate need is someone who can be there for the long haul and build the kind of influence that only accrues with seniority (not to mention for her state as well - once DiFi is gone the most senior Senator will be from the 2021 cohort). This strikes me as a vanity run frankly and I hope she reconsiders.

I think the point of Feinstein having to go is that she is rapidly losing her mental faculties, not her age per se. Lee is the most progressive candidate/potential candidate in the field and doesn’t have scandals like Porter does.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #158 on: January 11, 2023, 11:56:52 PM »

I guess I'd tentatively go for Porter? Schiff isn't like offensive but seems kinda cringe and Lee is old.

We need more consumer advocates in the Senate.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #159 on: January 12, 2023, 12:03:24 AM »

I think the point of Feinstein having to go is that she is rapidly losing her mental faculties, not her age per se. Lee is the most progressive candidate/potential candidate in the field and doesn’t have scandals like Porter does.

I mean, at that age, loss of mental faculties can potentially start happening at any time. I don't think that's inherently disqualifying, but it's certainly worth considering. Even if Lee can be an effective Senator in 2025, will she still be one in 2030? And even if not, I just don't see other Senators caring as much about what she has to say knowing she'll only be around for a few years.

I don't know much about Porter's scandals. They sound bad, I guess, but I don't know, if doesn't feel like it has really blown up even after a few years so I'm not sure it ever will. If someone came out with specific and circumstantiated allegations it'd be a different matter, of course.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #160 on: January 12, 2023, 12:16:09 AM »
« Edited: January 12, 2023, 12:20:48 AM by All Along The Watchtower »

Yeah as I much as I admire Barbara Lee, I don’t think her running for Senate at her age is s good idea.

Imagine thinking going to war with Al-Qaeda and its Taliban protectors right after 9/11 was the wrong decision. 

Except that wasn’t her position. She objected to the incredibly broad and open-ended wording of the post-9/11 AUMF giving the President (who, I must point out, failed to keep the country safe—hence, 9/11) so much power and authority that could used to perpetuate war indefinitely. She was right.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #161 on: January 12, 2023, 02:29:45 AM »

Yeah, I don't get how some people accused the Democrats of having a bunch of geriatrics in leadership positions and now they want to vote for a woman at the tender age of 79 to become a freshman senator.
Secretary of State Liberal Hack
IBNU
YaBB God
Singapore

« Reply #162 on: January 12, 2023, 03:33:22 AM »

It's Adam Schiff, setting up the CAGOP for a real Sophie's Choice of a general election if its Schiff v Porter or Schiff v Lee, as I expect it will be.

Yeah, I've been thinking about this. Lee is obviously the furthest left candidate, but she's not a contemporary cable news celebrity the way the other two are, so Republicans don't have an active reason to hate her. Obviously the undervote would be massive, but would Republicans vote for Barbara Lee? Given the alternative, I think they might.
I realy doubt that, Lee isn't an unknown. They know she's a pretty radical oakland democrat, unlike Kevin De Leon who was almost unknown outside of LA during his senate run.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #163 on: January 12, 2023, 08:49:57 AM »
« Edited: January 12, 2023, 08:54:20 AM by Mr.Barkari Sellers »

Feinstein said she may intend to run why does she want to continue running because Pelosi, Maxine Walter, Barbara Lee are all 80, that's why I say wait for Feinstein but if Katie Porter loses she can always run for Gov that's why she took the risk either Sen Porter or Gov Porter

Just like we gotta wait on Gallego, 50/52 whether or not Manchin or Sinema wins or not Collins and Tillis DOA due to Golden and Jackson are Doomed anyways in 26

WE ALWAYS GOTTA WATCH OUT FOR MATTHEW SANCRAMAINTE IN FL TOO BECAUSE RS WANT TO CUT SSA AND MEDICARE

We will get a Filibuster proof Trifecta in 24/26/28 RS failed to get 230/240 H RS
Not Me, Us
KhanOfKhans
United States

« Reply #164 on: January 12, 2023, 10:46:26 AM »

I really like Barbara Lee, but we need less elderly people in positions of power. America’s biggest problems stem from the fact that geriatrics refuse to step aside and let younger people take charge. I don’t know how true the allegations against Port are, but even if they are true, I could never support someone who is almost 80 years old unless they’re literally the only option like Biden. Except Bernie of course.
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #165 on: January 12, 2023, 01:02:39 PM »

You’re right, they have no obvious rising star but they have literally forty congressmen all the state wide offices, and 32 state senators. None are amazing or truly jump out to me, but there’s plenty of very good options
I said "weak bench" because for all of the dominance of the CA Dems, there's really no politician with real star power & charisma (outside maybe Newsom? Some on here say Porter?). Also, I was mainly talking about candidates/potential candidates for this Senate seat.

I'm a New Yorker and the NY Dem bench is also weak. Fair is fair.
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #166 on: January 12, 2023, 01:07:36 PM »

I think the point of Feinstein having to go is that she is rapidly losing her mental faculties, not her age per se.
Nope, Feinstein is BOTH too old and not cognitively there.

FDR was only 3 months into his first term when she was born. It's crazy that she didn't retire in either 2012 or 2018.
coloradocowboi
United States

« Reply #167 on: January 12, 2023, 01:34:51 PM »

I really like Barbara Lee, but we need less elderly people in positions of power. America’s biggest problems stem from the fact that geriatrics refuse to step aside and let younger people take charge. I don’t know how true the allegations against Port are, but even if they are true, I could never support someone who is almost 80 years old unless they’re literally the only option like Biden. Except Bernie of course.

As much as this is true. I don't get how the "representation" argument for young people, which I generally agree with, isn't true for both Black people and women, especially in the Senate?

Tbch, I think the geriatric problem is inextricable from the problem of race and lack of diversity. I wish they didn't have to be pitted against each other here, but when it comes down to it, it's more troubling to me there are currently 0 Black women in the U.S. Senate than the average age, because the latter can be explained unfortunately in part by youth apathy, while the former is almost wholly consequential of social injustice and oppression.
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #168 on: January 12, 2023, 05:08:11 PM »

As much as this is true. I don't get how the "representation" argument for young people, which I generally agree with, isn't true for both Black people and women, especially in the Senate?

Tbch, I think the geriatric problem is inextricable from the problem of race and lack of diversity. I wish they didn't have to be pitted against each other here, but when it comes down to it, it's more troubling to me there are currently 0 Black women in the U.S. Senate than the average age, because the latter can be explained unfortunately in part by youth apathy, while the former is almost wholly consequential of social injustice and oppression.
In my opinion, there's no valid reason why states like Maryland, Virginia and Delaware don't at least have 1 Black senator and at the very least a Black woman as senator. It's 0 for 6 on both fronts.

Those are Dem-leaning states with high Black populations. But yet, all of the senators from those states are old/older White men.
Canis
canis
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

P P P

« Reply #169 on: January 12, 2023, 05:29:49 PM »

Warren backs Porter, which was to be expected but still thats a decent endorsement to get this early on
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #170 on: January 12, 2023, 05:35:33 PM »

I think Porter is running on her online popularity and one liners which isn't a great reason to run. The timing of her announcement might hurt what kind of endorsements she can get and those are very important. She won't have a problem fundraising, but endorsements will be an issue. I'm also not sure if she has a particular base of voters who will gravitate toward her.

Schiff can gather a lot of endorsements particularly out of Southern California and money shouldn't be an issue. But like with Porter it's hard to tell what his voter base is.

Lee's age might be an issue for some, but she is well positioned by being in the Bay Area and if she is the only Democratic candidate from there then she has an advantage. Plus she would pull the progressive vote.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #171 on: January 12, 2023, 06:01:46 PM »

Endorsed, regardless of who else runs.  

Side note: Porter was clearly right to fire that moron for ignoring the office’s COVID testing policies and then proceeding to give her COVID; if some selfish dumba** gave me COVID and put my and my family’s lives at risk with their stupidity, you better believe I’d fire them too!  This isn’t a scandal and there is no good-faith argument for pretending that it is
The person was not ignoring the office COVID policies from what we know. Would you fire someone for getting a disease outside of their control? No one purposely gets a disease and firing someone for it is genuinely misguided.

If she’s as irresponsible as she was when she was with Porter’s office, then I wouldn’t be surprised if she got herself sick by doing something similarly stupid tbh.  I’d definitely fire someone for violating office COVID policies and giving me COVID as a direct result, if that’s what you’re asking.

Endorsed, regardless of who else runs.  

Side note: Porter was clearly right to fire that moron for ignoring the office’s COVID testing policies and then proceeding to give her COVID; if some selfish dumba** gave me COVID and put my and my family’s lives at risk with their stupidity, you better believe I’d fire them too!  This isn’t a scandal and there is no good-faith argument for pretending that it is

That staffer's friend was brutally murdered, so I suspect she had bigger things on her mind than testing for a disease that's not even really a threat anymore.  

Seriously, it's one thing if this story happened in May 2020. But imagine still being scared of COVID in summer 2022. That's not the kind of person we need in a high-profile position like being a Senator from the country's most populous state. Katie Porter can f**k off to Communist China where she would be much more at home.

- It sucks that her friend got murdered, but that doesn’t give her the right to put Porter and her family’s lives in danger with her selfishness, stupidity, and irresponsibility (to say nothing of everyone else in Porter’s office’s lives).

- Re: COVID: With all due respect, you have no idea what you’re talking about.  Incidentally, Communist China’s policies on COVID seem to be far closer to what you want than the policies at Porter’s office.

Porter’s last response was unempathetic and completely self-centered. Oh no, how in the world will someone making over $200k a year plus per diem ever take care of their child. What a nasty thing to say unprovoked.

Their teenage child, no less lol. Yeah, Porter's response is bad there- and honestly, I'm not a huge fan of the whiteboard thing and I don't really think the optics of a big national Dem figure "lecturing the American people".

I'm supporting Schiff, he seems like a good, progressive Democrat and being a Jew is always a bonus. I'd probably support Lee- she deserves it for her bravery throughout the years- but she's honestly just too old.
coloradocowboi
United States

« Reply #172 on: January 12, 2023, 07:17:10 PM »

In my opinion, there's no valid reason why states like Maryland, Virginia and Delaware don't at least have 1 Black senator and at the very least a Black woman as senator. It's 0 for 6 on both fronts.

Those are Dem-leaning states with high Black populations. But yet, all of the senators from those states are old/older White men.

Southern society isn't gonna recover from Jim Crow as quickly as most think. The fact that Black politicians thrive in Northern States where they are numerically small, e.g. Barbara Lee herself represents a district that is only about 10% or less Black, actually tells you all you need to know. Warnock is the first Black Democrat elected to the Senate from the South in 80 years of Democratic dominance in the Black community, meanwhile New Jersey, California, Illinois, Massachusetts all elected Black Senators.

Maryland in particular is a disgrace though.
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #173 on: January 12, 2023, 08:24:20 PM »

Southern society isn't gonna recover from Jim Crow as quickly as most think. The fact that Black politicians thrive in Northern States where they are numerically small, e.g. Barbara Lee herself represents a district that is only about 10% or less Black, actually tells you all you need to know. Warnock is the first Black Democrat elected to the Senate from the South in 80 years of Democratic dominance in the Black community, meanwhile New Jersey, California, Illinois, Massachusetts all elected Black Senators.

Maryland in particular is a disgrace though.

Bestie I hate to break it to you but Jim Crow ain’t fully over yet. We have barely recovered from the civil war and the terroristic borderline warlord-esque aftermath of reconstruction and several decades of cutting off our nose to spit our face. I’ve lived in and out of the south and dear god the difference can’t be more stark. If y’all want me to elaborate I can’t but I don’t wanna derail this thread.

In terms of black senators, in the modern era of popularly elected senators only 2 of the 7 elected black senators where in the south. The first was in Massachusetts (which if you don’t know is used in the south as the stereotypical “the north was segregationist too!” state).

There have only been 11 black senators in American history compared to 2,002 senators total, or .5%. I haven’t done the math for senators since the VRA, but rest assured the number is still minuscule. I have done the math for number of congress members compared to population and black Americans were dead last (Lebanese Americans where first go us?). Black Americans (especially American born) have and continued to be extremely untrusted by the electorate to hold high office.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #174 on: January 12, 2023, 08:29:25 PM »
« Edited: January 12, 2023, 08:43:34 PM by Mr.Barkari Sellers »

I don't see as of yet Porter winning this race with Feinstein even with Warren endorsement it's a jumbled primary if the top vote getter doesn't get 50% it goes to a Runoff in the Fall and I see Feinstein winning 52/48 but I see Gov Katie Porter in 26 Newsom is TL and will be focused on a 28 run which he will lose to Harris or if not Harris Wes Moore if he wants it

Users forget you can load up the primary and Feinstein has to win 50% and if she doesn't it heads to a Runoff Feinstein like Newsom is unpopular in Southern CA but she is popular in Northern CA and Porter won't cut into any support in SF that's how Newsom won with Villigosa he ran up the vote in SF like Feinstein, as I said we have to wait for Feinstein

That's why I don't have it in my signature and we aren't winning FL or TX Sen without Allred or Stephanie Murphy, our wave insurance is KY, LA, NC, MS Gov and OH, MO, MT and WVA

It's a reason why Kunce got in, Kander got within 3 in 2016, Gov Katie Porter is running for 26 and probably Barbara Lee I live in CA for 6 yrs and Newsom ran up the score in SF over all Ds in 2018, LA didn't want Newsom

So, to endorse Porter like she is definitely gonna be Sen is premature more like Gov Porter

That's why Feinstein said she was baffled why Porter entered the race she is focused on her legislature, and Pelosi, Maxine waters are in their 80s just like Feinstein, it's a Runoff Primary the top vote getters like the Mayor race go to a Runoff
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 64  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies