California Senate 2024 - Schiff (D) vs Garvey (R)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 20, 2024, 09:35:24 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  California Senate 2024 - Schiff (D) vs Garvey (R)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 35 36 37 [38] 39 40 41 42 43 ... 64
Author Topic: California Senate 2024 - Schiff (D) vs Garvey (R)  (Read 67029 times)
AZDem
Rookie

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #925 on: September 29, 2023, 04:03:49 PM »

Newsom should appoint Michelle Steel or Young Kim.

Take a reliable vote from McCarthy, force a special election in a flippable district, force the NRSC to compete in California of all places in 2024 (they would be required to, at the very least, split-match eligible expenditures with Steel's/Kim's campaign), gives him bipartisan cred when he runs for President, plus he still gets to say he appointed a woman of color.

What is this nonsense? This is one of the dumbest takes ever.

So a Dem governor in an overwhelmingly Dem state should appoint a GOP house member to a Senate seat that that didn't even qualify a GOP candidate in 2018? All to try to flip a potentially vulnerable GOP house seat in a special election?

Wouldn't that mean that this person would also get Feinstein's judiciary assignment, making it 11R-10D? So no more Biden judges for the next 18 months. No thanks.

This is 100% pure insanity.
Minnesota Mike
YaBB God

« Reply #926 on: September 29, 2023, 04:36:28 PM »

If his goal is a placeholder, I don't see how it could be anyone besides Weber.

I have also seen the name of Bay Area Transit Board member Lateefah Simon mentioned as a possibility. Simon is currently the frontrunner for the CA-12 House seat held by Barbara Lee. It would be weird to have a sitting senator running for a house seat but there is nothing stopping her from from being a senate placeholder while continuing to run for the house. 
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #927 on: September 29, 2023, 04:59:02 PM »

I have also seen the name of Bay Area Transit Board member Lateefah Simon mentioned as a possibility. Simon is currently the frontrunner for the CA-12 House seat held by Barbara Lee. It would be weird to have a sitting senator running for a house seat but there is nothing stopping her from from being a senate placeholder while continuing to run for the house. 

There's also chatter about Maxine Waters. Weber is obvious given Newsoms past behavior,  but she might say no. Weber just got elected and could serve until 2026 or even 2030 if she so desired despite her age, compared to a little over a year in the senate and then nothing.  The argument goes that if Weber doesn't see the senate as a capstone,  Waters the long-term congressional representative would.
GM Team Member and Deputy PPT WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #928 on: September 29, 2023, 05:13:04 PM »

Newsom should appoint Michelle Steel or Young Kim.

Take a reliable vote from McCarthy, force a special election in a flippable district, force the NRSC to compete in California of all places in 2024 (they would be required to, at the very least, split-match eligible expenditures with Steel's/Kim's campaign), gives him bipartisan cred when he runs for President, plus he still gets to say he appointed a woman of color.

What is this nonsense? This is one of the dumbest takes ever.

So a Dem governor in an overwhelmingly Dem state should appoint a GOP house member to a Senate seat that that didn't even qualify a GOP candidate in 2018? All to try to flip a potentially vulnerable GOP house seat in a special election?

Wouldn't that mean that this person would also get Feinstein's judiciary assignment, making it 11R-10D? So no more Biden judges for the next 18 months. No thanks.

This is 100% pure insanity.
It’s a joke my guy
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #929 on: September 29, 2023, 05:14:49 PM »

Very weird to see someone spell out Bay Area Regional Transit instead of just saying BART.
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #930 on: September 29, 2023, 05:21:49 PM »

Very weird to see someone spell out Bay Area Regional Transit instead of just saying BART.

Ay Caramba!
Atlas Force
mlee117379
United States

« Reply #931 on: September 29, 2023, 06:23:10 PM »

Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #932 on: September 29, 2023, 06:36:20 PM »

Lol it's gonna be a blk woman there are plenty of blk Females 8n CA that's not waters, Bass, Lee, Harris, or Breed or Oprah's

Oprah isn't gonna do it she doesn't have any kids and she is like Condi Rice , but Feinstein acted like Ginsburg, too many people know there are gonna die but she refuses to resign..

You just don't die, I saw my mom die
💥💥 brandon bro (he/him/his)
peenie_weenie
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #933 on: September 29, 2023, 06:48:41 PM »

Lol it's gonna be a blk woman there are plenty of blk Females 8n CA that's not waters, Bass, Lee, Harris, or Breed or Oprah's

Oprah isn't gonna do it she doesn't have any kids and she is like Condi Rice , but Feinstein acted like Ginsburg, too many people know there are gonna die but she refuses to resign..

You just don't die, I saw my mom die

I'm sorry you had to witness that.
Greedo punched first
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #934 on: September 29, 2023, 07:02:10 PM »

I knew the recall Newsom thing was to have Larry Elder appoint a replacement. Good thing Newsom wasn’t recalled.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #935 on: September 29, 2023, 07:10:16 PM »

I knew the recall Newsom thing was to have Larry Elder appoint a replacement. Good thing Newsom wasn’t recalled.

Even if he had been recalled Elder would have almost certainly lost the 2022 election and not been a factor in this.
Greedo punched first
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #936 on: September 29, 2023, 07:11:02 PM »

Even if he had been recalled Elder would have almost certainly lost the 2022 election and not been a factor in this.
Oh yeah. But this was still the idea behind the recall.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #937 on: September 29, 2023, 07:13:40 PM »

Oh yeah. But this was still the idea behind the recall.

I agree that was the reasoning behind it.
Greedo punched first
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #938 on: September 29, 2023, 07:45:08 PM »

The idea was that the appointment would’ve been made before 2022. Who will the appointed one be?
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #939 on: September 29, 2023, 08:22:20 PM »

She's 75, which isn't 90, but I imagine the pressure will be on to nominate someone younger. The trick is then, of course, finding someone young enough that their age isn't a concern, while also being old enough that they aren't tempted to run next year.
Morning in Atlas
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #940 on: September 29, 2023, 10:55:59 PM »

Appointing Shirley Weber would be cool and all, but have we considered owning the cons?

○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #941 on: September 30, 2023, 02:36:46 AM »

They tried to kick her off the BART board because she didn't quite live in her new district despite them telling her that she did and she couldn't confirm herself because she's blind.
patzer
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -3.48

« Reply #942 on: September 30, 2023, 08:09:37 AM »

If you pick someone who isn't old like that, there's a chance she'd abandon her house run for a campaign for re-election as Senator though

Even if Newsom's intent were having her as a placeholder, that doesn't really mean anything if she has political ambitions
Zedonathin2020
United States

« Reply #943 on: September 30, 2023, 09:16:45 AM »

Could Ro Khanna have at least waited until DiFi was in the ground before spouting this garbage? Now even HE is basically admitting Lee can’t win without that sweet, sweet incumbency advantage

Also, Alex Padilla didn’t HAVE to be appointed as a caretaker, as that wasn’t wasn’t 5 months before an open primary.

Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #944 on: September 30, 2023, 09:21:14 AM »

It's incredibly unprecedented for the third-place candidate and her surrogates to repeatedly demand the seat be given to them in the middle of an ongoing race. Bizarre.

I almost hope Newsom goes ahead and taps Schiff as the party choice at this point.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #945 on: September 30, 2023, 09:38:51 AM »

It's incredibly unprecedented for the third-place candidate and her surrogates to repeatedly demand the seat be given to them in the middle of an ongoing race. Bizarre.

I almost hope Newsom goes ahead and taps Schiff as the party choice at this point.
If Newsom breaks his pledge it would probably be the African American part (cause all his options said no?) rather than the placeholder part at this point.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #946 on: September 30, 2023, 09:44:08 AM »

Barbara Lee & co’s behavior during all this has been absolutely awful.  It reflects a really ugly and out-of-touch sense of entitlement.  Like, I’m sure plenty of politicians have this level of ego-fueled delusion and sense of entitlement, but most of them at least have enough common sense not to aggressively shout it with their full chest like this.  Lee was already a third wheel, but this is just pathetic.  If she wants to stay in politics then she should just drop out and run for her House seat.  Otherwise, she should drop out and retire because this is just embarrassing.  I mean, what a way to end a career.  

This was really gross when Colleen Hanabusa and her allies had a similar temper-tantrum b/c Brian Schatz got picked to fill a Senate vacancy in Hawaii instead of her and it’s all kinds of gross now.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #947 on: September 30, 2023, 09:44:30 AM »

When I return to CA I will vote Lee, she won't place 1st but 2nd against Schiff or Porter but if Porter makes 1st Lee will beat her in the runoff just like Bass beat Caruso

Clearly, having a blk woman in helps Lee especially in LA and SF and Sac areas, Schiff was clearly gonna win
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #948 on: September 30, 2023, 09:47:38 AM »

If Newsom breaks his pledge it would probably be the African American part (cause all his options said no?) rather than the placeholder part at this point.

I mean, he couldn’t appoint Lee even if he wanted to at this point, right?  It’d make him look really weak for being bullied into submission by the Twitter tantrum of some random congresswoman who can’t even crack double-digits in a statewide primary
coloradocowboi
United States

« Reply #949 on: September 30, 2023, 09:53:30 AM »

I mean, he couldn’t appoint Lee even if he wanted to at this point, right?  It’d make him look really weak for being bullied into submission by the Twitter tantrum of some random congresswoman who can’t even crack double-digits in a statewide primary

Yes, but also it appears as though the Black political establishment is also applying pressure on him. Thus far every notable Black female politician has said they won’t take a caretaker appt and many have said he should give it to Lee. So, if he doesn’t appoint her there is a good chance he will just bolster her argument that he’s looking to appoint a token Black person to advance his own interests and not to help Black ppl.

Gavin Newsom has turned a moment of potential strength into a lose-lose situation.
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 35 36 37 [38] 39 40 41 42 43 ... 64  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies