California Senate 2024 - Schiff (D) vs Garvey (R)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 09:17:31 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  California Senate 2024 - Schiff (D) vs Garvey (R)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 30 31 32 [33] 34 35 36 37 38 ... 64
Author Topic: California Senate 2024 - Schiff (D) vs Garvey (R)  (Read 64539 times)
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #800 on: September 10, 2023, 05:13:12 PM »

The person would still lose to Schiff. He’s tailor made for the #resist crowd

Barbara Lee would have the incumbent advantage and easily beat Schiff but without the incumbent advantage Schiff is the fav that's why she wanted Feinstein to retire
Senator Incitatus
AMB1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.06, S: 5.74

« Reply #801 on: September 10, 2023, 05:36:03 PM »

He should appoint Lee as a diss.
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #802 on: September 10, 2023, 06:28:10 PM »

Jerry Brown’s time has finally come
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #803 on: September 10, 2023, 08:49:21 PM »

Malia Cohen?
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #804 on: September 10, 2023, 10:04:45 PM »

Honestly, though there's no way Newsom will do it, Nancy Pelosi being a Senator for a year would be an excellent capstone to her career.
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #805 on: September 10, 2023, 10:12:47 PM »

This was always obvious and I'm not sure why anyone seriously thought otherwise.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #806 on: September 10, 2023, 10:31:18 PM »

Honestly, though there's no way Newsom will do it, Nancy Pelosi being a Senator for a year would be an excellent capstone to her career.

I've heard some people say the same thing about Maxine Waters.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #807 on: September 10, 2023, 10:36:52 PM »
« Edited: September 10, 2023, 10:44:32 PM by Mr.Barkari Sellers »

Pelosi is retiring after Hakeem Jeffries becomes Speaker she knows Ds are gonna win 10 seats in the CA  and NY redistricting, and win the majority that's gonna be 2026 to ensure there is a smooth Transition to a Filibuster proof Trifecta and we pass Voting Rights

That's why she is sticking around for 2 more yrs

McCarthy is the best managers in the H but we have a 7T annual budget deficit and Taxes only on the rich in part due to War in Ukraine is only 37% Warren Wealth Tax keeps our fiscal House in order that's why McCarthy is gonna lose his Speakership he won't raise rich taxes or pass immigration reform he can do it like Boehner and Ryan had 230 seats but he can't do that in a 5 seat majority he is gonna lose it

Most rich wants their taxes raised except Grover Norquist

Garcia is gone in CA to Frank CARILLO
Secretary of State Liberal Hack
IBNU
YaBB God
Singapore

« Reply #808 on: September 11, 2023, 02:04:42 AM »
« Edited: September 11, 2023, 02:08:35 AM by Secretary of State Liberal Hack »

These comments by Barabara Lee expressing her dissapointing with the descion are both sour grapes and seem to express a contemptous attitude towards the idea that voters should be able to pick their representives and the concept of senators representing all their counstituents not just the ones they share demographics charectersitcs with.

It's one of the most entitltied things i've seen written by any major us politican.
GM Team Member and Senator WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #809 on: September 11, 2023, 02:06:25 AM »

These comments by Barabara Lee expressing her dissapointing with the descion are both sour grapes and seem to express a contemptous attitude towards the idea that voters should be able to pick their representives and the concept of senators representing all their counstituents not just the ones they share demographics charectersitcs with.
yea that's something where if I was in CA and was on the fence between Porter and Lee, it'd probably push me to Porter
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #810 on: September 11, 2023, 02:11:51 AM »

We are getting Blunt Rochester and Angela Alsobrooks in the S anyways so we will like Barbara Lee that's why Tom Carper stepped down for a blk woman to take his place, he didn't want to retire but he was advised to by Harris and Biden set up for what's about to happen Voting Rights
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #811 on: September 11, 2023, 02:54:35 AM »

It's one of the most entitltied things i've seen written by any major us politican.

Yeah, that's a bad statement which makes her sound like a bitter person with an inflated sense of entitlement. It won't make her many new friends.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #812 on: September 11, 2023, 03:40:15 AM »

Stick a fork in Lee’s campaign, this is desperate and sad.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #813 on: September 11, 2023, 04:26:08 AM »

I like Barbara Lee and would vote for her were I in California but this is just embarrassing. You can't show yourself so blatantly.
Zedonathin2020
United States

« Reply #814 on: September 11, 2023, 10:40:07 AM »
« Edited: September 11, 2023, 10:45:00 AM by Zedonathin2020 »

Yeah, that's a bad statement which makes her sound like a bitter person with an inflated sense of entitlement. It won't make her many new friends.

And to add to that, WHERE in that statement did she come up with the conclusion that he wouldn’t nominate a black woman? Because he’s not specifically giving HER a free promotion to the upper chamber?

I’ve had reasons to not support her campaign, such as her age and the fact that she hasn’t even placed SECOND in polls, let alone first, but this tantrum just takes the cake.
Atlas Force
mlee117379
United States

« Reply #815 on: September 11, 2023, 01:50:25 PM »

President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #816 on: September 11, 2023, 02:13:52 PM »

Newsom is obviously right, and this was just obvious. The reaction of Lee seems kind of childish or bitter. She might have been an placeholder pick in case she didn't run, but this is a different matter.
Senator Incitatus
AMB1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #817 on: September 11, 2023, 10:55:33 PM »

I think criticizing Lee's bitter response is fair but assuming it ends her campaign is wrong; this brings her attention and could polarize the race into for- and against-Lee camps, which are both to her benefit.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #818 on: September 11, 2023, 10:57:23 PM »

I think criticizing Lee's bitter response is fair but assuming it ends her campaign is wrong; this brings her attention and could polarize the race into for- and against-Lee camps, which are both to her benefit.

She's a distant third and it's now clear that her strategy for this race was to bypass the primary process. Why would any Schiff or Porter voter switch to her now?
Senator Incitatus
AMB1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #819 on: September 11, 2023, 11:03:08 PM »
« Edited: September 11, 2023, 11:06:15 PM by Senator Incitatus »

She's a distant third and it's now clear that her strategy for this race was to bypass the primary process. Why would any Schiff or Porter voter switch to her now?

There's been one poll in the past three months and while it does have her in a proportionally distant third, it's still only a ten-point gap between her and Porter for second with many undecided. (As far as picking up Schiff or Porter voters, she obviously doesn't need to do that right now. Pissing them off would hurt her in the general, but she needs to get there first and can do it with a minority of the party.) I don't see how anyone can look at this one poll and declare the race over nine months in advance, and grabbing free media would go a long way to Lee making up that gap.

I still think the most likely outcome by far is the Porter-Schiff race. But anyone who thinks indignation doesn't play well is kidding themselves.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #820 on: September 12, 2023, 01:58:46 AM »
« Edited: September 12, 2023, 11:37:54 AM by Хahar 🤔 »

I think that this is accurate. Right now this race is not occupying any public attention, so whatever publicity a candidate can get is likely to be good publicity.

More generally, I think people in this thread are failing to think like Democrats. I imagine that nobody here actually thinks it's important that a black woman hold one of California's senatorial seats, but there are obviously a lot of Democrats (and not just black women) who are sympathetic to this line of argument. If you do believe that it's specifically important to have a black woman in the Senate in recognition of the work that black women have done to save the soul of America, then obviously it's not sufficient to just have a token placeholder who will be replaced come next election. That wouldn't accomplish anything and it would be an insult to the black women of America to think that they wouldn't deserve any more than a placeholder.

Newsom has not played his hand well here. The announcement that he made would have paid off if the seat had come vacant much earlier, in which case he could have appointed Lee and gotten plaudits from black activists and left-wing activists and then let her sink or swim on her own, or else if Dianne Feinstein's health hadn't come up as a significant issue, in which case none of this would matter except that he could get plaudits for being so racially forward-thinking. As it is, he ended up stuck in that he had to speak but anything he said would offend someone. Normally he attempts to be all things to all people.
coloradocowboi
United States

« Reply #821 on: September 12, 2023, 08:46:26 AM »

I agree and it basically ends her candidacy, but she’s also right. So Newsom’s goal the whole time was to nominate a black figurehead to pander while still supporting a white former blue dog behind the scenes? Typical of him.

This is all wonderful news for Senator-elect Katie Porter though anyway. The party is trying to rig it for Schiff, but she has crossover appeal and will win progressives handily.
Unbeatable Titan Susan Collins
johnzaharoff

« Reply #822 on: September 12, 2023, 12:41:02 PM »

I agree and it basically ends her candidacy, but she’s also right. So Newsom’s goal the whole time was to nominate a black figurehead to pander while still supporting a white former blue dog behind the scenes? Typical of him.

This is all wonderful news for Senator-elect Katie Porter though anyway. The party is trying to rig it for Schiff, but she has crossover appeal and will win progressives handily.

I think it is less she has crossover appeal and more like Schiff has unique anticross over appeal. He loses every GE matchup because Republicans hate him more in a D v D fight.

I suspect given his lead in the primary he will try to use his massive war chest late in the race to try to get the GOP to unite behibd someone as it looks like a R v. D is his best (only?) chance.
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #823 on: September 12, 2023, 12:42:23 PM »

Would Schiff win Orange County if he faces Lee?
Secretary of State Liberal Hack
IBNU
YaBB God
Singapore

« Reply #824 on: September 12, 2023, 06:21:03 PM »

Not Rigging the race for Lee is rigging it for Schiff ? This is an incredibly dubious line of reasoning.
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 30 31 32 [33] 34 35 36 37 38 ... 64  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies