California Senate 2024 - Schiff (D) vs Garvey (R)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 08:46:20 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  California Senate 2024 - Schiff (D) vs Garvey (R)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 33 34 35 [36] 37 38 39 40 41 ... 64
Author Topic: California Senate 2024 - Schiff (D) vs Garvey (R)  (Read 64533 times)
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #875 on: September 29, 2023, 08:03:29 AM »

Newsom has previously indicated he’ll name a caretaker who doesn’t run for 2024, right?

Yep. Lee's tantrum put the kibosh of any chance of him stepping into the race and picking one of the three.
Zedonathin2020
United States

« Reply #876 on: September 29, 2023, 08:03:54 AM »

I’m gunning for London Breed to be the placeholder, young, a woman of color, Mayor from the same city DiFi was once mayor of. It’ll be perfect

Also, I hope that this shows all the other geriatrics in congress what’s coming to them COUGHmitchmcconnellCOUGH and starts a precedented retirement wave either next year or 2026
coloradocowboi
United States

« Reply #877 on: September 29, 2023, 08:07:21 AM »

I’m gunning for London Breed to be the placeholder, young, a woman of color, Mayor from the same city DiFi was once mayor of. It’ll be perfect

Also, I hope that this shows all the other geriatrics in congress what’s coming to them COUGHmitchmcconnellCOUGH and starts a precedented retirement wave either next year or 2026

I’ll pass. They should appoint a real democrat not a Google funded, right wing shill
Bernie Derangement Syndrome Haver
freethinkingindy
United States

« Reply #878 on: September 29, 2023, 08:08:57 AM »

Dianne Feinstein was a trailblazing woman who will leave behind an honorable legacy but it's hard for me to feel anything but frustrated at this news. I think we all knew deep down that it was becoming increasingly less likely for her to survive even another year until her term ends. This will probably help re-frame the conversation even more about people like McConnell and Biden still being in office.
Bernie Derangement Syndrome Haver
freethinkingindy
United States

« Reply #879 on: September 29, 2023, 08:14:03 AM »

Newsom pledged to appoint a Black woman, but Barbara Lee won't get the nod because she's currently in the Senate race, so who would that leave?

-London Breed
-Malia Cohen
-Sydney Kamlager-Dove
-Karen Bass
-Kamala Harris
-Lola Smallwood-Cuevas
-Shirley Weber
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #880 on: September 29, 2023, 08:15:02 AM »

I wonder if Newsom discussed a potential appointment with DiFi, like if she had a preferred successor.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #881 on: September 29, 2023, 08:15:07 AM »

I'd be surprised if it was someone with a major current position like Breed. I assume she'd prefer to remain Mayor instead of taking a job that ends in a bit over a year.
President of the great nation of 🏳️‍⚧️
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #882 on: September 29, 2023, 08:15:36 AM »

I want Maxine Waters. Sure, she's an octogenarian, but I'm pretty sure she's not quite as out of it as Feinstein was, and it's an interim appointment anyway.
Zedonathin2020
United States

« Reply #883 on: September 29, 2023, 08:16:04 AM »

Newsom pledged to appoint a Black woman, but Barbara Lee won't get the nod because she's currently in the Senate race, so who would that leave?

-London Breed
-Malia Cohen
-Sydney Kamlager-Dove
-Karen Bass
-Kamala Harris
-Lola Smallwood-Cuevas
-Shirley Weber

bruh
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #884 on: September 29, 2023, 08:16:51 AM »

-London Breed
-Malia Cohen
-Sydney Kamlager-Dove
-Karen Bass
-Kamala Harris
-Lola Smallwood-Cuevas
-Shirley Weber

bruh

That would probably be the funniest thing that could possibly happen
Pollster
YaBB God

« Reply #885 on: September 29, 2023, 08:17:13 AM »

The fact that we're about to suffer through a news cycle of disingenuous people using this terrible news to justify "increasing concerns" about Biden's age is predictably ghastly and of course sickening. RIP to an icon - my mother loved this woman and was deeply inspired by her, and for me that's a blessing.
JMT

« Reply #886 on: September 29, 2023, 08:20:31 AM »

-London Breed
-Malia Cohen
-Sydney Kamlager-Dove
-Karen Bass
-Kamala Harris
-Lola Smallwood-Cuevas
-Shirley Weber

I imagine it won’t be Karen Bass. She was only elected Mayor in 2022, and she left Washington to take that post. I don’t think she’d leave so early in her term to accept what will likely only be an interim appointment (she already endorsed Barbara Lee for the full term).
Utah Neolib
YaBB God
Antarctica

« Reply #887 on: September 29, 2023, 08:21:51 AM »

-London Breed
-Malia Cohen
-Sydney Kamlager-Dove
-Karen Bass
-Kamala Harris
-Lola Smallwood-Cuevas
-Shirley Weber

I imagine it won’t be Karen Bass. She was only elected Mayor in 2022, and she left Washington to take that post. I don’t think she’d leave so early in her term to accept what will likely only be an interim appointment (she already endorsed Barbara Lee for the full term).
Shirley Weber makes the most sense by far. She (ironically) succeeded Padilla as Secretary of State and is old enough to definitely not run again. She would probably happily be a senator for a year and a half as the end to her career.
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #888 on: September 29, 2023, 08:24:13 AM »

My tentative guess is that Cohen or Weber are most likely out of the list posted above.
JMT

« Reply #889 on: September 29, 2023, 08:24:58 AM »

-London Breed
-Malia Cohen
-Sydney Kamlager-Dove
-Karen Bass
-Kamala Harris
-Lola Smallwood-Cuevas
-Shirley Weber

Shirley Weber makes the most sense by far. She (ironically) succeeded Padilla as Secretary of State and is old enough to definitely not run again. She would probably happily be a senator for a year and a half as the end to her career.

This is what I was thinking, too. If I had to guess, Newsom appoints Weber.
Reactionary Libertarian
ReactionaryLibertarian
United States

« Reply #890 on: September 29, 2023, 08:26:58 AM »

Well this is an interesting development…
SnowLabrador
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #891 on: September 29, 2023, 08:30:40 AM »

This news isn't only sad for Feinstein and her family, it's sad because it means Biden won't be able to confirm any more judges. There's no way the GOP will let Democrats replace her on the Judiciary Committee. Man, I hate this timeline.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #892 on: September 29, 2023, 08:49:15 AM »

-London Breed
-Malia Cohen
-Sydney Kamlager-Dove
-Karen Bass
-Kamala Harris
-Lola Smallwood-Cuevas
-Shirley Weber

The same could also be said of Maxine Waters. Both people who you would think are fine with a capstone and retirement.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #893 on: September 29, 2023, 08:54:26 AM »

-London Breed
-Malia Cohen
-Sydney Kamlager-Dove
-Karen Bass
-Kamala Harris
-Lola Smallwood-Cuevas
-Shirley Weber

The same could also be said of Maxine Waters. Both people who you would think are fine with a capstone and retirement.

London Breed isn't running for Senate
Maxine Waters isn't running for S she will die eventually
Karen Bass is Mayor
Harris is Veep

He is gonna be pressured by Ro Khana to Appoint Barbara Lee she has no Health issues
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #894 on: September 29, 2023, 09:13:20 AM »

Newsom has previously indicated he’ll name a caretaker who doesn’t run for 2024, right?

Yup, that's just what makes the most sense.

I expect him to announce a replacement after Feinstein is buried or at least after the senate paid tribute to her.
Zedonathin2020
United States

« Reply #895 on: September 29, 2023, 09:23:17 AM »

Official statement from President Biden

Pollster
YaBB God

« Reply #896 on: September 29, 2023, 09:36:33 AM »

Newsom should appoint Michelle Steel or Young Kim.

Take a reliable vote from McCarthy, force a special election in a flippable district, force the NRSC to compete in California of all places in 2024 (they would be required to, at the very least, split-match eligible expenditures with Steel's/Kim's campaign), gives him bipartisan cred when he runs for President, plus he still gets to say he appointed a woman of color.
Atlas Force
mlee117379
United States

« Reply #897 on: September 29, 2023, 09:38:15 AM »

Take a reliable vote from McCarthy, force a special election in a flippable district, force the NRSC to compete in California of all places in 2024 (they would be required to, at the very least, split-match eligible expenditures with Steel's/Kim's campaign), gives him bipartisan cred when he runs for President, plus he still gets to say he appointed a woman of color.

Unbeatable Titan Susan Collins
johnzaharoff

« Reply #898 on: September 29, 2023, 09:39:30 AM »

Deal, but they get Feinstein's committee assignments.
MichaelRbn
Rookie
United States
« Reply #899 on: September 29, 2023, 09:49:09 AM »

He ain’t appointing a Republican so some pundit can claim he’s bipartisan.😂

I would recommend Secretary of State Shirley Weber.  She’s old enough to see a 15 month gig as a fitting cap to her career.

Interesting that Newsom appointed her to replace Padilla when he replaced Harris.
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 33 34 35 [36] 37 38 39 40 41 ... 64  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies