Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 12:27:05 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread
« previous next »
Thread note
ATTENTION: Please note that copyright rules still apply to posts in this thread. You cannot post entire articles verbatim. Please select only a couple paragraphs or snippets that highlights the point of what you are posting.

Pages: 1 ... 863 864 865 866 867 [868] 869 870 871 872 873 ... 1172
Author Topic: Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread  (Read 929254 times)
oldtimer
Greece

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #21675 on: May 11, 2023, 03:02:19 PM »

For an army that is supposedly so well dug in the orcs are seriously jumpy and nervous right now
In every war in history russians always flee at the sound of gunfire, they don't want to fight for their Tsar.

Stalin had to resort in a second line to shoot them if they fled, to force them to fight.

When they believed that the Nazis where worse than Stalin and surrendering to them meant death, they stopped fleeing and surrendering and started to fight.

Now why is that, here are some of observations and conclusion based on russian history:
Spoiler alert! Click Show to show the content.

Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #21676 on: May 11, 2023, 03:07:21 PM »

I'm staying skeptical until there is more evidence. Hopefully Ukraine is having success, but war related pro-Russian Telegram channels are not known for their accuracy or honestly.

Rest of first tweet: "We still have to see if any of this is real, but the situation is rather similar to September and November regroupings."

lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #21677 on: May 11, 2023, 03:17:53 PM »

So the UK has apparently handed out all it's promised Challenger 2 tanks to Ukraine. Anyone have a number on how many? Only figure I can find is 14. If that's true, that's laughably low.

They doubled it to 28.
Buffalo Mayor Young Kim
LVScreenssuck

« Reply #21678 on: May 11, 2023, 04:05:10 PM »

So the UK has apparently handed out all it's promised Challenger 2 tanks to Ukraine. Anyone have a number on how many? Only figure I can find is 14. If that's true, that's laughably low.

They doubled it to 28.
That’s 28 times the number of tanks Putin rolled out on 5/9
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

« Reply #21679 on: May 11, 2023, 04:41:28 PM »

RYBAR (one of the most prominent pro-Russian military bloggers) has come out their own map:

Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #21680 on: May 11, 2023, 04:50:37 PM »

At this point I don't believe much of anything, because so much of it is to silly bugger the enemy. We will attack later, not now, when we have WMD's,  hey we just got a bunch more awesome missiles and tanks, attack there, but is it real or a feint, it's Calais, Calais, any day now. It would be glorious that if and when the big push comes, we are all surprised as to when and where. My God, they are pouring on to the beaches of Crimea!

Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

« Reply #21681 on: May 11, 2023, 06:37:12 PM »

HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.74, S: -8.96

« Reply #21682 on: May 11, 2023, 07:43:26 PM »

the russkis are getting their asses handed to them

maybe they should decide to turn north and direct their war capacity towards those in the Kremlin that sent them on this hopeless war instead !
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

« Reply #21683 on: May 11, 2023, 09:25:40 PM »
« Edited: May 11, 2023, 09:31:09 PM by Storr »

Ironically, N. Macedonia bought its three one-seat Su-25s from Ukraine in 2001, only for them to end up being donated back to Ukraine in 2022.

The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #21684 on: May 11, 2023, 10:12:24 PM »

Woody says this is all untrue, though. Who to believe?

On the one hand, we have a notorious Russian propagandist who needs to be taken with a grain of salt. On the other hand, we have Evgeny Prigozhin.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #21685 on: May 11, 2023, 11:36:07 PM »
« Edited: May 11, 2023, 11:51:56 PM by Badger »

Bakhmut Bob has been mostly silent for once. I take it Comrade Pigozhin and his band of assorted nazi losers aren't doing well?

As an added bonus and sign of the times, our resident not the least bit sociopathic would be child rape profiteer has been remarkably and blessedly silent as well. Bravo! Solva Ukraine!
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #21686 on: May 12, 2023, 12:13:23 AM »

You know whenever people whine about how aiding Ukraine is too expensive it's important to think about a point made about the UK's donation of Storm Shadow cruise missiles. This is actually saving the UK money.

Why? Bevause they were due to be phased out in a couple years anyway. And disposing of old stock safely is expensive. Donating them to Ukraine avoids this issue.

And that's also true of most of the equipment donated by the US. Only Russia hacks make this claim, it's not a good faith concern.
Oleg 🇰🇿🤝🇺🇦
Oleg
Kazakhstan

« Reply #21687 on: May 12, 2023, 01:08:00 AM »

It will be very revealing if Prigozhin suffers the fate of Yue Fei.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #21688 on: May 12, 2023, 01:09:09 AM »

Believe I mentioned this a couple days back...

Key question is how many, which for natural reasons will likely not be disclosed unless we get another "Discord Leak" style gig...

Will it fundamentally change the nature of the war?

Not likely unless it is in sufficient quantities and carefully used as part of combined arms offensive.

Still, UK is gradually increasing pressure on the USA to provide similar long range shells, and even the hard left of the British Labor Party generally appears onboard these days to provide all sorts of gear to Ukraine.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #21689 on: May 12, 2023, 01:13:11 AM »

Prigozhin's an aggressor while Yue Fei was a valiant defender of home and country even when his own government didn't want him to be, and was a little too good at it. It'd be more like if Zelensky executed one of his top generals after the war.
Oleg 🇰🇿🤝🇺🇦
Oleg
Kazakhstan

« Reply #21690 on: May 12, 2023, 01:26:04 AM »

You know whenever people whine about how aiding Ukraine is too expensive it's important to think about a point made about the UK's donation of Storm Shadow cruise missiles. This is actually saving the UK money.

Why? Bevause they were due to be phased out in a couple years anyway. And disposing of old stock safely is expensive. Donating them to Ukraine avoids this issue.

And that's also true of most of the equipment donated by the US. Only Russia hacks make this claim, it's not a good faith concern.
In addition, the maintenance of military equipment requires constant costs in itself. Finding a buyer is long and difficult, each additional month means additional costs, and it's easier to give away for free.
Oleg 🇰🇿🤝🇺🇦
Oleg
Kazakhstan

« Reply #21691 on: May 12, 2023, 01:30:12 AM »

Prigozhin's an aggressor while Yue Fei was a valiant defender of home and country even when his own government didn't want him to be, and was a little too good at it. It'd be more like if Zelensky executed one of his top generals after the war.
You are right, there are no 100% exact analogies. I only mean the end of Yue Fei's career when the government forced him to commit suicide due to his disagreements with the government. And as a result, the army was defeated.
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

« Reply #21692 on: May 12, 2023, 02:21:14 AM »

Ukraine War, 12 May 2023: Prigozhin's Flea Circus

"It’s a little bit strange situation: the amount and ferocity of panicky reports in the Russian social media about the situation in the Bakhmut area is reaching similar proportions like during their ‘humanitarian withdrawal’ from eastern Kharkiv, last year in September. The accounts in question are babbling about ‘breakthroughs’, ‘collapse of the frontline’, fighting for places 5km behind the frontline etc.

Hand on heart: I have no idea why. I’ll be happy if somebody can correct me but, to the best of my knowledge, as of this morning, all I can say is that several of ZSU brigades are actually running local counterattacks with the aim of lessening the Russian pressure upon Ukrainian supply roads into the town. Deepest advances of the last two days went some 500-600 metres, at most. Arguably, yes, the Russians have run away in quite a lots of places, have abandoned lots of armament, ammo and supplies (including lots of anti-tank guided missiles, about which they complain they have none) - and/or have suffered few hundreds of losses when not - but: in grand total., as of right now, I can only call this ‘battlefield shaping’."
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #21693 on: May 12, 2023, 03:00:30 AM »

It doesn't seem like anyone's discussed this story yet. Pretty major news.

https://apnews.com/article/defector-russia-takeaways-karakulov-dossier-center-putin-42c570974c93255d178c5b373c9c12d3

Long story short: A member of Putin's personal security service defected. He's confirmed all the rumors about Putin's paranoia and isolation, but he disputes the claims that Putin is seriously ill.

I found this video to be a good summary (for those who have time):

Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #21694 on: May 12, 2023, 07:47:13 AM »

Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

« Reply #21695 on: May 12, 2023, 08:39:30 AM »

I can't believe Prigozhin is STILL allowed out there to put out these daily diatribes criticizing the war effort of a war that he's an active participant in. I guess the Russians letting open factions and rivalries (apparently) get in the way of the war effort at a crucial time is consistent with everything else we've seen from Putin's Russia. If Putin were to drop dead tomorrow who is supposed to keep Prigozhin, Kadyrov, Shoigu and all the other minor warlords united towards a common purpose without mass arrests and executions? Anyone?
Woody
SirWoodbury
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 1.48, S: 1.30

« Reply #21696 on: May 12, 2023, 09:25:09 AM »

TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #21697 on: May 12, 2023, 09:34:14 AM »

I can't believe Prigozhin is STILL allowed out there to put out these daily diatribes criticizing the war effort of a war that he's an active participant in. I guess the Russians letting open factions and rivalries (apparently) get in the way of the war effort at a crucial time is consistent with everything else we've seen from Putin's Russia. If Putin were to drop dead tomorrow who is supposed to keep Prigozhin, Kadyrov, Shoigu and all the other minor warlords united towards a common purpose without mass arrests and executions? Anyone?

Inner ex-KGB circle, supposedly (e.g. security guys like Patrushev).
nicholas.slaydon
Ukraine

« Reply #21698 on: May 12, 2023, 09:34:40 AM »

RIP Freedom Fighter.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #21699 on: May 12, 2023, 09:41:13 AM »

You mean.......its actually true??