COVID-19 Megathread 6: Return of the Omicron
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 08:03:53 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  COVID-19 Megathread 6: Return of the Omicron
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 46 47 48 [49] 50 51 52 53 54 ... 456
Poll
Question: ?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 115

Author Topic: COVID-19 Megathread 6: Return of the Omicron  (Read 535199 times)
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1200 on: October 28, 2020, 01:37:40 PM »

This is bad news:

But according to Del Taco, this is just the flu!
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #1201 on: October 28, 2020, 02:03:13 PM »

This is bad news:

The study is bunk because there wasn't a pre-diagnosis baseline to compare individuals against.  It's literally just a difference-in-means analysis, with absolutely zero inferential power.

Plus, ten years of cognitive aging would be a great thing for you!  Cheesy 
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #1202 on: October 28, 2020, 02:12:08 PM »

This is bad news:

The study is bunk because there wasn't a pre-diagnosis baseline to compare individuals against.  It's literally just a difference-in-means analysis, with absolutely zero inferential power.

You're a bad person.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1203 on: October 28, 2020, 02:38:35 PM »

This is bad news:

Thing is...this is one of several findings which have shown potential brain effects due to Covid-19.
If this were the only example, I would have probably been wary but not worried.
This pattern especially concerns me, because I actually have a neurological disorder and I have this small desire to live still.
Of course, you are going to make a joke that would be deleted by a mod hours ago had I made it.

Here are other damn examples just in case you actually care (which you don’t, you just want an excuse to dismiss the virus for your own personal convenience)

Seriously, either put your money where your mouth is and commit to sending me money for my medical bills if/when I get severely ill, or admit you are completely wrong on Covid-19. Either would be great options.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/09/health/coronavirus-brain.html

https://usatoday.com/5904177002

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/most-hospitalized-covid-patients-have-neurological-symptoms-study-says-n1242143
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #1204 on: October 28, 2020, 02:57:30 PM »

This is bad news:

Thing is...this is one of several findings which have shown potential brain effects due to Covid-19.
If this were the only example, I would have probably been wary but not worried.
This pattern especially concerns me, because I actually have a neurological disorder and I have this small desire to live still.
Of course, you are going to make a joke that would be deleted by a mod hours ago had I made it.

Here are other damn examples just in case you actually care (which you don’t, you just want an excuse to dismiss the virus for your own personal convenience)

Seriously, either put your money where your mouth is and commit to sending me money for my medical bills if/when I get severely ill, or admit you are completely wrong on Covid-19. Either would be great options.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/09/health/coronavirus-brain.html

https://usatoday.com/5904177002

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/most-hospitalized-covid-patients-have-neurological-symptoms-study-says-n1242143

The NYT article is paywalled and the link to USA Today is broken, but the study linked in the NBC article only looked at patients sick enough to be hospitalized with COVID-19.  Most COVID-19 patients never go to the hospital, so the inferences that can be drawn from that population are necessarily limited.  Furthermore, the "brain effects" identified in that study were not only cognitive decline, but also included mild headaches, dizziness, and loss of taste or smell (a very common COVID-19 symptom.)  Of course, it should also be noted that the study has zero implication for "long term" effects because patients were assessed only while in the hospital(!), negative outcomes were concentrated in patients aged >65, and mechanical ventilation (which was used on 26% of all patients in the study) has long been associated with diminished neurocognitive functioning.  Point is, this study doesn't say anything like what you think it does.   
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #1205 on: October 28, 2020, 07:10:33 PM »
« Edited: October 28, 2020, 07:18:32 PM by Calthrina950 »

I'm not sure if it is me, but there seems like there has been a huge amount of death this year. Obviously, the pandemic has resulted in the deaths of over 200,000 Americans, and I recall seeing somewhere that that coronavirus is now the second or third leading cause of death in the country this year. This pandemic certainly has been a macabre reminder of the realities of mortality. I can only imagine what things would be like by now if as many people had died from this as died from the Black Death at this stage in its progress.
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1206 on: October 28, 2020, 10:37:16 PM »

What is the source for the claim that testing has decreased?  

It is true that positivity rate has increased.  But according the Covid Tracking Project and the Johns Hopkins tracker, testing is also still increasing this week as it has been for the last 6-8 weeks.

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/testing/individual-states

It's possible he is looking state-by-state. For example, while New York has massively increased testing in the past month, it is not the location of a major outbreak at the moment. And Rhode Island just this week passed the threshold of being the first state to have (over the course of the pandemic) undertaken more coronavirus tests than there are residents in the state. But many of the states with the highest new case rates have much, much lower testing rates than the top-tier testing states.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #1207 on: October 28, 2020, 10:50:22 PM »

It is true that positivity rate has increased.  But according the Covid Tracking Project and the Johns Hopkins tracker, testing is also still increasing this week as it has been for the last 6-8 weeks.

It's possible he is looking state-by-state. For example, while New York has massively increased testing in the past month, it is not the location of a major outbreak at the moment. And Rhode Island just this week passed the threshold of being the first state to have (over the course of the pandemic) undertaken more coronavirus tests than there are residents in the state. But many of the states with the highest new case rates have much, much lower testing rates than the top-tier testing states.

This thing is a hard one to quantify.

You have different testing levels and reporting in different countries and states. You have people knowingly carrying the virus and being sick, and not coming forward to be tested. Just hiding at home for 2 weeks so they don't lose their job or taint their business with a shutdown or quarantine for all staff and customers.

The one thing we can see clearly is that the death rate in the subsequent waves appears to be dropping considerably.

This is most likely due to a combination of factors including:

1. The virus is becoming less deadly as time progresses; and/or
2. People who have been exposed are developing good immunity levels, particularly children preventing subsequent re-infection or transmission;
3. The medical treatment is getting better to prevent death;
4. The testing rates have increased (lowering the death rate mathematically);
5. People who are vulnerable are taking stronger precautions;
6. The pathways to the vulnerable people in our society are no longer available.

These are only assertions, but in 2-3 years time, we will have a clearer picture.

It's scenario's like Sweden that help speed up this analysis.

It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1208 on: October 28, 2020, 10:59:10 PM »

This thing is a hard one to quantify.

You have different testing levels and reporting in different countries and states. You have people knowingly carrying the virus and being sick, and not coming forward to be tested. Just hiding at home for 2 weeks so they don't lose their job or taint their business with a shutdown or quarantine for all staff and customers.

The one thing we can see clearly is that the death rate in the subsequent waves appears to be dropping considerably.

This is most likely due to a combination of factors including:

2. People who have been exposed are developing good immunity levels, particularly children preventing subsequent re-infection or transmission;
3. The medical treatment is getting better to prevent death;
4. The testing rates have increased (lowering the death rate mathematically);
5. People who are vulnerable are taking stronger precautions;
6. The pathways to the vulnerable people in our society are no longer available.

These are only assertions, but in 2-3 years time, we will have a clearer picture.

It's scenario's like Sweden that help speed up this analysis.

Easy to see this as an experiment from f**king Australia.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1209 on: October 29, 2020, 12:11:09 AM »

Death. Cult.

emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1210 on: October 29, 2020, 01:04:53 AM »

I know you're saying this is just 1 of 7 things that are happening, but this keeps being brought up and no one can give a reason for why it would be happening. And in fact, it seems unlikely that it would be happening since the virus is doing so well and you're contagious well before you're even sick.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #1211 on: October 29, 2020, 02:02:32 AM »

The updated numbers for COVID-19 in the U.S. are in for 10/28 per: https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

I'm keeping track of these updates daily and updating at the end of the day, whenever all states finish reporting for that day.

ΔW Change: Comparisons of Weekly Day-to-day Growth or Decline of COVID-19 Spread/Deaths.
  • IE: Comparing the numbers to the same day of last week, are we flattening the curve enough?

Σ Increase: A day's contribution to overall percentage growth of COVID-19 cases/deaths.
  • IE: What's the overall change in the total?

Older Numbers (Hidden in spoiler mode to make the post more compact)

10/18: <Sunday>
  • Cases: 8,387,790 (+45,125 | ΔW Change: ↓0.96% | Σ Increase: ↑0.54%)
  • Deaths: 224,730 (+448 | ΔW Change: ↑8.47% | Σ Increase: ↑0.20%)

10/19: <M>
  • Cases: 8,456,653 (+68,863 | ΔW Change: ↑47.40% | Σ Increase: ↑0.82%)
  • Deaths: 225,222 (+492 | ΔW Change: ↑55.70% | Σ Increase: ↑0.22%)

10/20: <T>
  • Cases: 8,519,665 (+63,012 | ΔW Change: ↑17.01% | Σ Increase: ↑0.75%)
  • Deaths: 226,138 (+916 | ΔW Change: ↑10.36% | Σ Increase: ↑0.41%)

10/21: <W>
  • Cases: 8,584,819 (+65,154 | ΔW Change: ↑8.66% | Σ Increase: ↑0.76%)
  • Deaths: 227,409 (+1,271 | ΔW Change: ↑26.85% | Σ Increase: ↑0.56%)

10/22: <Þ>
  • Cases: 8,661,651 (+76,832 | ΔW Change: ↑15.93% | Σ Increase: ↑0.89%)
  • Deaths: 228,381 (+972 | ΔW Change: ↑11.21% | Σ Increase: ↑0.43%)

10/23: <F>
  • Cases: 8,746,953 (+85,302 | ΔW Change: ↑20.98% | Σ Increase: ↑0.98%)
  • Deaths: 229,284 (+903 | ΔW Change: ↓0.55% | Σ Increase: ↑0.40%)

10/24: <S>
  • Cases: 8,827,932 (+80,979 | ΔW Change: ↑45.02% | Σ Increase: ↑0.93%)
  • Deaths: 230,068 (+784 | ΔW Change: ↑19.33% | Σ Increase: ↑0.34%)

10/25: <Sunday>
  • Cases: 8,889,179 (+61,247 | ΔW Change: ↑35.73% | Σ Increase: ↑0.69%)
  • Deaths: 230,510 (+442 | ΔW Change: ↓1.34% | Σ Increase: ↑0.19%)

10/26: <M>
  • Cases: 8,962,783 (+73,604 | ΔW Change: ↑6.88% | Σ Increase: ↑0.83%)
  • Deaths: 231,045 (+535 | ΔW Change: ↑8.74% | Σ Increase: ↑0.23%)

10/27 (Yesterday): <T>
  • Cases: 9,037,951 (+75,168 | ΔW Change: ↑19.29% | Σ Increase: ↑0.84%)
  • Deaths: 232,085 (+1,040 | ΔW Change: ↑13.54% | Σ Increase: ↑0.45%)

10/28 (Today): <W>
  • Cases: 9,121,800 (+83,849 | ΔW Change: ↑28.69% | Σ Increase: ↑0.93%)
  • Deaths: 233,137 (+1,052 | ΔW Change: ↓17.23% | Σ Increase: ↑0.45%)
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #1212 on: October 29, 2020, 03:21:51 AM »
« Edited: October 29, 2020, 03:27:16 AM by Meclazine »

I know you're saying this is just 1 of 7 things that are happening, but this keeps being brought up and no one can give a reason for why it would be happening. And in fact, it seems unlikely that it would be happening since the virus is doing so well and you're contagious well before you're even sick.

It could be evolving to be more contagious but less lethal to members of the population. Logically, the most likely mutations of a virus are to a less virulent strain that is easily transmissible.

I simply do not know enough about epidemiology, and in this case, it is a work in progress.

What I am saying is in 3 years time, we will find out more information.

At the moment, we are sitting inside a crashed plane wreck on fire, not knowing what happened, trying to get our seat belt off and get out.

Reality is, we have to wait for Air Crash Investigations in 4 years time to actually summarise what is going on.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #1213 on: October 29, 2020, 03:36:04 AM »

Death. Cult.

At least they are honest. They don't give a rat's ass about the plebes that come to their Nuremberg rallies.
Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #1214 on: October 29, 2020, 06:42:26 AM »
« Edited: October 29, 2020, 06:46:01 AM by Russian Bear »

Decease - Covid
Dem Cure - save White Wealthy Urban Bachelor Libs, throw Poor/Low-Educated/Minority under Lock-down bus by false, racist rhetoric Grandma vs Economy.
Good work, everyone, good work...

Alternative take: Pandemic exposes what the Dems have been saying all along - women, minorities, the poor/low educated are particularly vulnerable economically and should get more government support via progressive economics as the long term solution (as opposed to ignoring the pandemic, which also kills the poor and minorities disproportionately).

Well, I'm for Universal Healthcare etc, but exactly same, if not worse, happens in Europe, it's not something unique to USA. Also, off-topic, but US libs are having it both ways. As Bernie had been saying, before he gave up to TDS mobb, you can't combine generous welfare state and high minimum wage with high low-educated immigration. That's why GOP has always been all, but rhetorically, pro-immigration.

What Dems are doing is really dangerous (and racist), but it is a winning strategy.

- Closure of schools screws poor kids and poor women (who had to quite their job to take care of kids), but keeps Economy from rebounding. Obviously, Trump wants to open schools because of Economy, not because he cares about poor minority. But it's the consequences that counts, not the intentions, huh?

- Same with Pelosi not taking Trump's stimulus deal before elections - it is a winning strategy, that accidentally screw poor minority most. https://edition.cnn.com/videos/politics/2020/10/13/nancy-pelosi-intv-stimulus-bill-trump-offer-coronavirus-tsr-vpx.cnn

- And, as I wrote, in another thread, Liberal Hero who fought and won against Covid, Jacinda Ardern of New Zeland, postponed elections amid a spike in coronavirus cases. When Trump proposed same, it was FASCIST  Angry
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/17/world/asia/new-zealand-election-coronavirus.html

Once again, a winning strategy. If postponed, people might see that American Economy would recover much faster than Europe, while Europe is being hit about as hard as US by deaths # and, perhaps, waaaaaay more heavily economically despite using Biden strategy, more or less. No, no, we are better voting now!

https://www.jacobinmag.com/2020/09/covid-19-pandemic-economy-us-response-inequality
F**k the usage of LatinX, but it is what real left, not Corporate White Virtue Signaling Libs is thinking about Covid Strategy.
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1215 on: October 29, 2020, 08:18:33 AM »

Death. Cult.

At least they are honest. They don't give a rat's ass about the plebes that come to their Nuremberg rallies.

They are not honest. They couldn't be honest if their lives depended on it.

Honest - Scrupulous with regard to telling the truth; not given to swindling, lying, or fraud; upright.

Shameless - Having no shame, no guilt nor remorse over something considered wrong; immodest; unable to feel disgrace.

Trump and his fellow abusive criminal traitors are shameless.

They've also shifted to mass death "herd immunity" as their COVID-19 strategy:

Despite publicly downplaying it, President Donald Trump and his team of White House advisers have embraced the controversial belief that herd immunity will help control the COVID-19 outbreak, according to three senior health officials working with the White House coronavirus task force. More worrisome for those officials: they have begun taking steps to turn the concept into policy.

Officials say that White House adviser Scott Atlas first started pushing herd immunity this past summer despite significant pushback from scientists, doctors and infectious disease experts that the concept was dangerous and would result in far more Americans getting sick and dying. Since then, various White House advisers have tried to play down the idea that the administration has implemented a strategy for COVID-19 based on herd immunity, which holds that if enough people contract a disease and become immune from it, then future spread among the broader population will be reduced.

But those working on the government’s COVID response say that the attempts by the White House and Atlas to steer clear from using the phrase “herd immunity” are merely a game of semantics. Privately, one of those sources said, the actual policy pursuits have been crafted around a plainly herd immunity approach; mainly, that the government should prioritize protecting the vulnerable while allowing “everyone else to get infected,” that source said.
Darthpi – Anti-Florida Activist
darthpi
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -6.87

P P P
« Reply #1216 on: October 29, 2020, 12:50:24 PM »

The updated numbers for COVID-19 in the U.S. are in for 10/28 per: https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

I'm keeping track of these updates daily and updating at the end of the day, whenever all states finish reporting for that day.

ΔW Change: Comparisons of Weekly Day-to-day Growth or Decline of COVID-19 Spread/Deaths.
  • IE: Comparing the numbers to the same day of last week, are we flattening the curve enough?

Σ Increase: A day's contribution to overall percentage growth of COVID-19 cases/deaths.

We're easily going to hit a daily total of 90K before the end of the week, and if the week-over-week numbers continue the way they have so far this week we're actually on pace for over 100K on Friday.

What an absolute catastrophe.
Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #1217 on: October 29, 2020, 04:31:41 PM »

I've missed that, but Europe has started to have more death per capita on weakly basis (NOT cumulatively, Europe has 60% of USA deaths # cumulatively). 12% more and gap growing rapidly (60% more cases per capita, too). And it increases much more rapidly. Because of weather? Anyway, US will probably follow them in 2-4 weeks. Terrible.

New cases per million, Linear:
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #1218 on: October 29, 2020, 06:02:09 PM »

There is a study in Australia that says that the Corona-virus survives better in low humidity which is indirectly related to low-temperature in most parts of the world.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #1219 on: October 29, 2020, 07:13:59 PM »
« Edited: October 29, 2020, 07:19:19 PM by Arch »

We're easily going to hit a daily total of 90K before the end of the week, and if the week-over-week numbers continue the way they have so far this week we're actually on pace for over 100K on Friday.

Yes. It looks like we could be hitting 90k today, actually. Sad
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1220 on: October 29, 2020, 07:21:46 PM »

The more time people spend in their homes, the likelier it is we see a huge spike in numbers. Outdoor transmission rates are considerably lower than indoor.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #1221 on: October 29, 2020, 07:26:37 PM »
« Edited: October 30, 2020, 07:11:50 AM by Sprouts Farmers Market ✘ »

I've missed that, but Europe has started to have more death per capita on weakly basis (NOT cumulatively, Europe has 60% of USA deaths # cumulatively). 12% more and gap growing rapidly (60% more cases per capita, too). And it increases much more rapidly. Because of weather? Anyway, US will probably follow them in 2-4 weeks. Terrible.

Europe seems to have at least tied to the US on an excess casualty basis (percentage increase) last month after the US took a brief lead with the summer impacts.

Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #1222 on: October 29, 2020, 07:33:08 PM »

Yes. It looks like we could be hitting 90k today, actually. Sad

Anddd, it just happened. I'll be updating my numbers in an hour and a half or so.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #1223 on: October 29, 2020, 09:03:53 PM »
« Edited: October 29, 2020, 09:08:22 PM by Arch »

The updated numbers for COVID-19 in the U.S. are in for 10/29 per: https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

10/27: <T>

10/28 (Yesterday): <W>

10/29 (Today): <Þ
  • Cases: 9,212,767 (+90,967 | ΔW Change: ↑18.40% | Σ Increase: ↑1.00%)
  • Deaths: 234,177 (+1,040 | ΔW Change: ↑7.00% | Σ Increase: ↑0.45%)
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1224 on: October 29, 2020, 11:58:44 PM »

(I post this only because I've been assured by many Republicans that the actions of a President's sons are very important and we should judge their fathers by their behavior.)
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 46 47 48 [49] 50 51 52 53 54 ... 456  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies