COVID-19 Megathread 5: The Trumps catch COVID-19
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 23, 2024, 04:39:02 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  COVID-19 Megathread 5: The Trumps catch COVID-19
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 79 80 81 82 83 [84] 85 86 87 88 89 ... 201
Author Topic: COVID-19 Megathread 5: The Trumps catch COVID-19  (Read 269903 times)
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2075 on: May 13, 2020, 09:04:08 PM »

It’s pretty obvious, some States should open up, others shouldn’t. This isn’t a black or white thing nationally.
Positivity rates, testing capacities, and new cases per day should be all considered.
I will remind everyone here that reopening too quickly will be far more harmful for economic activity than a phased, and well-planned reopening that doesn’t cause a second wave. Also, clusters and residencies with new clusters during reopenings should lock down to prevent the spread to less impacted areas.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #2076 on: May 13, 2020, 09:06:34 PM »

Yep! Here's one of their little nuggets of 'wisdom' and "empirical" analyses:

"These kinds of phrases [Safer at Home] remind me of how abusers do something cruel and then say softly 'it's only because I care about you' or 'it's for your own good.' It's a combination of dominance, boundary violation, control and then gaslighting added on top to put you into a state of confusion so it's harder for you to challenge it/protect your boundaries/say no/leave etc."

There's a bunch more where that came from. I stand by my original statement. Good grief.

I don't necessarily agree with that quote, but it's not as bad as what appears on other sites.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #2077 on: May 13, 2020, 09:11:16 PM »

Quite a few braindead posters showing their heads here asking us to risk it all for the sake of muh economy, but this is Atlas so it's par for the course.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2078 on: May 13, 2020, 09:11:48 PM »

"These kinds of phrases [Safer at Home] remind me of how abusers do something cruel and then say softly 'it's only because I care about you' or 'it's for your own good.' It's a combination of dominance, boundary violation, control and then gaslighting added on top to put you into a state of confusion so it's harder for you to challenge it/protect your boundaries/say no/leave etc."

There's a bunch more where that came from. I stand by my original statement. Good grief.

I don't necessarily agree with that quote, but it's not as bad as what appears on other sites.
“I don’t necessarily agree with comparing virus-prevention methods to domestic abuse....but....”
Are you seriously listening to yourself?
I’m not even against lifting some lockdowns at this point, but you can’t defend such a ridiculous quote with a both sides argument.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2079 on: May 13, 2020, 09:14:02 PM »

“I don’t necessarily agree with comparing virus-prevention methods to domestic abuse....but....”
I’m not even against lifting some lockdowns at this point, but you can’t defend such a ridiculous quote with a both sides argument.

If you think he can't defend such a ridiculous quote with a bothsidesism, you sir have apparently not read Bandit's posting history.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #2080 on: May 13, 2020, 09:17:25 PM »

The updated numbers for COVID-19 in the U.S. are in for 5/13 per: https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

I'm keeping track of these updates daily and updating at the end of the day, whenever all states finish reporting for that day.

Δ Change: Day-by-day Growth or Decline or COVID-19 Spread/Deaths.
  • IE: Are we flattening the curve enough?

Σ Increase: A day's contribution to overall percentage growth of COVID-19 cases/deaths.
  • IE: What's the overall change in the total?

<Last Numbers for 3/26-3/28 in this Post>
<Last Numbers for 3/29-4/4 in this Post>
<Last Numbers for 4/5-4/11 in this Post>
<Last Numbers for 4/12-4/18 in this Post>
<Last Numbers for 4/19-4/25 in this post>
<Last Numbers for 4/26-5/2 in this post>

5/3: <Sunday>
  • Cases: 1,187,804 (+27,030 | Δ Change: ↓8.32% | Σ Increase: ↑2.11%)
  • Deaths: 68,589 (+1,142 | Δ Change: ↓31.94% | Σ Increase: ↑1.70%)

5/4:
  • Cases: 1,212,835 (+25,031 | Δ Change: ↓7.40% | Σ Increase: ↑2.33%)
  • Deaths: 69,921 (+1,332 | Δ Change: ↑16.64% | Σ Increase: ↑1.54%)

5/5:
  • Cases: 1,236,987 (+24,152 | Δ Change: ↓3.51% | Σ Increase: ↑1.99%)
  • Deaths: 72,241 (+2,320 | Δ Change: ↑74.17% | Σ Increase: ↑3.32%)

5/6:
  • Cases: 1,263,092 (+26,105 | Δ Change: ↑8.09% | Σ Increase: ↑2.11%)
  • Deaths: 74,799 (+2,558 | Δ Change: ↑10.26% | Σ Increase: ↑3.54%)

5/7:
  • Cases: 1,292,594 (+29,502 | Δ Change: ↑13.01% | Σ Increase: ↑2.34%)
  • Deaths: 76,926 (+2,127 | Δ Change: ↓16.85% | Σ Increase: ↑2.84%)

5/8:
  • Cases: 1,321,785 (+29,191 | Δ Change: ↓1.05% | Σ Increase: ↑2.26%)
  • Deaths: 78,615 (+1,689 | Δ Change: ↓20.59% | Σ Increase: ↑2.20%)

5/9:
  • Cases: 1,347,309 (+25,524 | Δ Change: ↓12.56% | Σ Increase: ↑1.93%)
  • Deaths: 80,037 (+1,422 | Δ Change: ↓15.81% | Σ Increase: ↑1.51%)

5/10: <Sunday>
  • Cases: 1,367,638 (+20,329 | Δ Change: ↓20.35% | Σ Increase: ↑1.93%)
  • Deaths: 80,787 (+750 | Δ Change: ↓47.27% | Σ Increase: ↑0.94%)

5/11:
  • Cases: 1,385,834 (+18,196 | Δ Change: ↓10.49% | Σ Increase: ↑1.33%)
  • Deaths: 81,795 (+1,008 | Δ Change: ↑34.40% | Σ Increase: ↑1.25%)

5/12 (Yesterday):
  • Cases: 1,408,155 (+22,321 | Δ Change: ↑22.67% | Σ Increase: ↑1.61%)
  • Deaths: 83,377 (+1,582 | Δ Change: ↑56.94% | Σ Increase: ↑1.93%)

5/13 (Today):
  • Cases: 1,430,348 (+22,193 | Δ Change: ↓0.57% | Σ Increase: ↑1.58%)
  • Deaths: 85,197 (+1,820 | Δ Change: ↑15.44% | Σ Increase: ↑2.18%)
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #2081 on: May 13, 2020, 09:18:56 PM »

Hope the Supreme Court is happy when this inevitably leads to bad results.

Right-wing judges don't care about outcomes, only about naked exercise of power.

Right-wingers are also wholly immune from any kind of consequences to their deadly actions.  It’ll be somebody else’s fault, naturally.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2082 on: May 13, 2020, 09:20:33 PM »

Hope the Supreme Court is happy when this inevitably leads to bad results.

Right-wing judges don't care about outcomes, only about naked exercise of power.

Right-wingers are also wholly immune from any kind of consequences to their deadly actions.  It’ll be somebody else’s fault, naturally.

Probably Obama's.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #2083 on: May 13, 2020, 09:22:00 PM »

There are people unironically breathing sighs of relief because they can go get their hair done soon. It's nauseating to even consider the historical and contemporary juxtapositions to such a statement in the context that we live.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2084 on: May 13, 2020, 09:25:02 PM »

There are people unironically breathing sighs of relief because they can go get their hair done soon. It's nauseating to even consider the historical and contemporary juxtapositions to such a statement in the context that we live.

Well, In fairness, I'll be breathing a deep sigh of relief once I can get this overgrown mop on my head properly shorn. Tongue

The difference is I understand the difference between oppression and inconvenience.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #2085 on: May 13, 2020, 09:26:38 PM »

I'm not worried about hair salons. I was more worried about society completely crumbling. That's how I ended up having a cardiac incident a couple weeks ago.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2086 on: May 13, 2020, 09:33:38 PM »

I'm not worried about hair salons. I was more worried about society completely crumbling. That's how I ended up having a cardiac incident a couple weeks ago.
Yes, a lockdown is going to cause society to crumble. Wuhan has now descended into anarchy and Madrid is run by an LGBT pot-selling mafia...
Humanity will never recover, we will now be extinct by 2024.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2087 on: May 13, 2020, 09:41:15 PM »

First, Bandit, please take care of yourself. Secondly, if you are so worried about the shutdown that you are getting yourself literal heart palpitations, you are taking this way too seriously. And consider, that's coming from me.
SnowLabrador
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2088 on: May 13, 2020, 10:20:10 PM »

https://twitter.com/i/events/1219057585707315201

I guess no more international travel, forever.
Koharu
jphp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.35

« Reply #2089 on: May 13, 2020, 10:29:16 PM »

🙄

There will eventually be a vaccine or new anti-virals that will help with this.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #2090 on: May 13, 2020, 10:31:48 PM »

The government should allow people to break stay at home and social distancing orders if they're willing to get MUH CONSTITUTION tattooed on their foreheads in black ink. The rest of us will be able to visually identify high risk potential spreaders and the anti-lockdown nuts can have their freedom. Everybody wins. Problem solved.

EDIT - Businesses will also be able to refuse service to MUH CONSTITUTION forehead people, on the grounds that they are displaying official government documentation that they are a high risk potential spreader during a pandemic.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2091 on: May 13, 2020, 10:46:12 PM »

Brown County will re-close tomorrow:

emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2092 on: May 13, 2020, 10:48:12 PM »

I cut my own hair so that hasn't been a problem for me.
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #2093 on: May 13, 2020, 10:49:42 PM »

I really like most of the approach that Gov. Cuomo has taken of phased reopening based on metrics defined clearly and in advance.  Decisions to either lift or extend restrictions should not be made ad hoc.  More importantly, the metrics are focused on health care and testing capacity rather than, say, the number of new cases (a metric with severe moral hazard problems).  I really wish we saw this in more states.  

My one disappointment with the NY program is that I wish they would prioritize school reopening ahead of stuff like entertainment and retail.  I understand that people are hypervigilient about their kids, but this is really the most essential part of our society that still appears to be nowhere close to reopoening.

I also appreciate that Gov. Cuomo was way in front on serological tests, and also seemed open to the possibility of immunity certificates until that dumb notice from the WHO.  Has information coming from the WHO been helpful in any way during this pandemic other than to spread paranoia?

Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2094 on: May 13, 2020, 10:50:54 PM »

I really like most of the approach that Gov. Cuomo has taken of phased reopening based on metrics defined clearly and in advance.  Decisions to either lift or extend restrictions should not be made ad hoc.  More importantly, the metrics are focused on health care and testing capacity rather than, say, the number of new cases (a metric wit severe moral hazard problems).  I really wish we saw this in more states.  

My one disappointment with the NY program is that I wish they would prioritize school reopening ahead of stuff like entertainment and retail.  I understand that people are hypervigilient about their kids, but this is really the most essential part of our society that still appears to be nowhere close to reopoening.

I also appreciate that Gov. Cuomo was way in front on serological tests, and also seemed open to the possibility of immunity certificates until that dumb notice from the WHO.  Has information coming from the WHO been helpful in any way during this pandemic other than to spread paranoia?

Some very good points have been made that you can't fully reopen the economy until you've put the kids back in school, because of how essential that is to the childcare element.
Grassroots
Grassr00ts
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 2.09

P P P
« Reply #2095 on: May 13, 2020, 10:57:21 PM »

🙄

The WHO has a clear agenda of decreasing morale, it’s just apparent at this point.
YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #2096 on: May 13, 2020, 11:03:03 PM »

🙄

The WHO has a clear agenda of decreasing morale, it’s just apparent at this point.

They’re trying to play the expectations game.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2097 on: May 13, 2020, 11:04:25 PM »

It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2098 on: May 13, 2020, 11:11:22 PM »

🙄

Nah, they are just acting like tone-deaf scientists. They warn it may never go away because there will almost certainly be some lingering outbreaks in less developed regions/among anti-vaxxer nuts kinda like somewhere in between Measles and Polio. The problem is, the WHO is completely tone-deaf and doesn’t understand saying things like these scares people who take the words out of context.
Grassroots
Grassr00ts
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 2.09

P P P
« Reply #2099 on: May 13, 2020, 11:50:08 PM »

Well I want to go back to school so idgaf what he does on this front.
Pages: 1 ... 79 80 81 82 83 [84] 85 86 87 88 89 ... 201  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies