COVID-19 Megathread 5: The Trumps catch COVID-19
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 29, 2024, 01:53:43 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  COVID-19 Megathread 5: The Trumps catch COVID-19
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 81 82 83 84 85 [86] 87 88 89 90 91 ... 201
Author Topic: COVID-19 Megathread 5: The Trumps catch COVID-19  (Read 271568 times)
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2125 on: May 14, 2020, 01:11:53 PM »

Who cares? Life has risks. Do you make a graph for every other possible illness you might get before leaving your house? This remains all so ridiculous.

I mean if you want to live in a world of delusion be my guest I have no sympathy for people like you if you get it

Anyways in some good news
https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.05.13.093195v1?fbclid=IwAR1Xb79A0cGjORE2nwKTEvBb7y4-NBuD5oRf2wKWZfAhoCJ8_T73QSQfskw

The ChAdOx-CoV2 vaccine candidate so far doesnt appear to cause ADE and prevents SARS pneumonia in rhesus macaques and they believe they could possibly go into trials with health care workers and general Phase III trials next month
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #2126 on: May 14, 2020, 01:16:40 PM »

Quite a few braindead posters showing their heads here asking us to risk it all for the sake of muh economy, but this is Atlas so it's par for the course.

No one is demanding you risk anything. What we want is for those of us willing to risk it to have that option. Its bs to claim otherwise. And no, an extra 4% risk of a quarantine person getting it anyway due to society continuing for those of us who choose to risk it is not "choosing" for you.
DabbingSanta
United States
P P P
« Reply #2127 on: May 14, 2020, 01:20:38 PM »

A few days ago, I found the "LockdownSkepticism" group on Reddit. It's proof that people across the political spectrum can get along for a common cause. The rank-and-file right is learning that we don't have horns and cloven hooves like their leaders told them we did. We've all got each other's backs in fighting this.

I'm glad that you found a place where your ignorance can be validated.

Oh yes, we're the ones that have our heads up our asses. Thanks for letting us know 😊
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #2128 on: May 14, 2020, 01:21:40 PM »

A few days ago, I found the "LockdownSkepticism" group on Reddit. It's proof that people across the political spectrum can get along for a common cause. The rank-and-file right is learning that we don't have horns and cloven hooves like their leaders told them we did. We've all got each other's backs in fighting this.

I'm glad that you found a place where your ignorance can be validated.

Oh yes, we're the ones that have our heads up our asses. Thanks for letting us know 😊

You're one to talk
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #2129 on: May 14, 2020, 01:21:41 PM »

May 12

New cases: 318 (+14.4%)
Total cases: 20,475

New deaths: 53 (+130.4%)
Total deaths: 1,062

“Real cases”: (+51.6%)

As bad as this looks, it’s certainly not surprising. Monday’s typically are way too low anyways, so this isn’t unprecedented. I also think deaths were significantly undercounted over the past few days so this could be just backlog. Still, it’s a noticeable jump and should be monitored.

Your numbers are just for Colorado, right?  Could you label them that way so there's no confusion with the other stats that get posted in this thread?
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2130 on: May 14, 2020, 01:22:01 PM »

Quite a few braindead posters showing their heads here asking us to risk it all for the sake of muh economy, but this is Atlas so it's par for the course.

No one is demanding you risk anything. What we want is for those of us willing to risk it to have that option. Its bs to claim otherwise. And no, an extra 4% risk of a quarantine person getting it anyway due to society continuing for those of us who choose to risk it is not "choosing" for you.
Where the **** did you get that 4% number? Reopening rapidly will increase spread significantly, are you just pulling statistics out of thin air?

Anyways, I would like for challenge trials to be allowed so people who want to “risk it” in hopes of getting back to normal quicker can without putting other Americans at risk.
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #2131 on: May 14, 2020, 01:22:32 PM »

Who cares? Life has risks. Do you make a graph for every other possible illness you might get before leaving your house? This remains all so ridiculous.

I mean if you want to live in a world of delusion be my guest I have no sympathy for people like you if you get it

https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.05.13.093195v1?fbclid=IwAR1Xb79A0cGjORE2nwKTEvBb7y4-NBuD5oRf2wKWZfAhoCJ8_T73QSQfskw

The ChAdOx-CoV2 vaccine candidate so far doesnt appear to cause ADE and prevents SARS pneumonia in rhesus macaques and they believe they could possibly go into trials with health care workers and general Phase III trials next month

I still haven’t heard anything real about getting the human challenge trials moving that will accelerate the testing of these potential vaccines.  This seems like such a no-brainer to me.  I signed up to potentially participate on the 1 Day Sooner website, and strongly encourage other healthy people to do so demonstrate the willingness and demand for this.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2132 on: May 14, 2020, 01:24:14 PM »

I still haven’t heard anything real about getting the human challenge trials moving that will accelerate the testing of these potential vaccines.  This seems like such a no-brainer to me.  I signed up to potentially participate on the 1 Day Sooner website, and strongly encourage other healthy people to do so demonstrate the willingness and demand for this.
It’s apparently unethical.
But letting hundreds of thousands more people die due to a slow process is supposedly ethical
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #2133 on: May 14, 2020, 01:24:42 PM »

What might even come sooner than a vaccine is this thing they have that's sort of like a vaccine, where they use antibodies directly (from recovered patients or made in a lab).
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #2134 on: May 14, 2020, 01:27:08 PM »

They already said they arent doing challenge trials
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #2135 on: May 14, 2020, 01:30:34 PM »

If so, this is completely absurd and orders of magnitude worse than any of the dozens of horrible decisions Trump has made over the past few months.
Grassroots
Grassr00ts
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 2.09

P P P
« Reply #2136 on: May 14, 2020, 01:54:36 PM »

Link?
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2137 on: May 14, 2020, 02:23:07 PM »

I do. It's an interesting scientific result. No I don't.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #2138 on: May 14, 2020, 03:17:41 PM »

I'm very encouraged to start seeing a semblance of normality resume in the Jackson suburbs.  Crowded streets/shops, restaurants seem relatively busy (still at 50% though), and less people choosing to wear face masks.

Meanwhile, King Emperor Chokwe A. Lumumba has decided that restaurants/gyms in the City of Jackson can go ahead and reopen tomorrow, but he's implementing a new citywide curfew as well as a mask mandate to go into effect over the weekend.  If he believes this to be the right course of action, where were these mandates 2-4 weeks ago?  In a press conference announcing the end of the city's SAHO, he said he was only allowing reopening so the city wouldn't become an "island".  So the mayor is opening the city while simultaneously chastising the Republican suburbs for doing the same; a nakedly cowardly move to have his political cake and eat it too.  His motivations appear misplaced.

Moreover, I've been increasingly discouraged by the continuing/escalation of rhetoric (mostly on local social media, but also parroted in the media) that any relaxation of social distancing or a personal decision by individuals to not wear PPE is "going to kill grandma" or whatever.  That was never the point of social distancing.  The point was never to stop new cases, but to prevent the healthcare system from being overwhelmed (which now seems like an extinct possibility).  Under both curves, grandma still probably gets COVID-19 and may die.  The hospital system is as ready as its ever going to be, so for that reason it's time to end the lockdown.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #2139 on: May 14, 2020, 03:30:29 PM »

As long as Trump is in the White House, this virus will not be contained. Trump will make sure of it; it helps his re-election due to Biden supporters being too scared to vote in person. That's why he's dismantling the Postal Service; he knows universal VBM would hurt him.

Sure, but all the bodies in the mass graves won't be voting for Trump either, so it probably all balances out.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #2140 on: May 14, 2020, 03:44:36 PM »

As long as Trump is in the White House, this virus will not be contained. Trump will make sure of it; it helps his re-election due to Biden supporters being too scared to vote in person. That's why he's dismantling the Postal Service; he knows universal VBM would hurt him.

Sure, but all the bodies in the mass graves won't be voting for Trump either, so it probably all balances out.

RIP Trump's chances in New York and New Jersey.
Darthpi – Anti-Florida Activist
darthpi
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -6.87

P P P
« Reply #2141 on: May 14, 2020, 03:47:07 PM »

I'm very encouraged to start seeing a semblance of normality resume in the Jackson suburbs.  Crowded streets/shops, restaurants seem relatively busy (still at 50% though), and less people choosing to wear face masks.

Meanwhile, King Emperor Chokwe A. Lumumba has decided that restaurants/gyms in the City of Jackson can go ahead and reopen tomorrow, but he's implementing a new citywide curfew as well as a mask mandate to go into effect over the weekend.  If he believes this to be the right course of action, where were these mandates 2-4 weeks ago?  In a press conference announcing the end of the city's SAHO, he said he was only allowing reopening so the city wouldn't become an "island".  So the mayor is opening the city while simultaneously chastising the Republican suburbs for doing the same; a nakedly cowardly move to have his political cake and eat it too.  His motivations appear misplaced.

Moreover, I've been increasingly discouraged by the continuing/escalation of rhetoric (mostly on local social media, but also parroted in the media) that any relaxation of social distancing or a personal decision by individuals to not wear PPE is "going to kill grandma" or whatever.  That was never the point of social distancing.  The point was never to stop new cases, but to prevent the healthcare system from being overwhelmed (which now seems like an extinct possibility).  Under both curves, grandma still probably gets COVID-19 and may die.  The hospital system is as ready as its ever going to be, so for that reason it's time to end the lockdown.

I genuinely cannot fathom what line of tortured reasoning brings one to the conclusion that this is something to be *encouraged by*
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2142 on: May 14, 2020, 03:49:12 PM »

The point of the lockdowns was to prevent the medical care system from being overwhelmed. The point of social distancing is the prevent infections and save lives.

So fine, end the forced lockdowns, but please stay home anyway as much as possible, wear masks, and maintain 6 feet. 😳
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2143 on: May 14, 2020, 04:01:59 PM »
« Edited: May 14, 2020, 04:15:20 PM by Inspector Clay is dead, murdered »

I'm very encouraged to start seeing a semblance of normality resume in the Jackson suburbs.  Crowded streets/shops, restaurants seem relatively busy (still at 50% though), and less people choosing to wear face masks.

Meanwhile, King Emperor Chokwe A. Lumumba has decided that restaurants/gyms in the City of Jackson can go ahead and reopen tomorrow, but he's implementing a new citywide curfew as well as a mask mandate to go into effect over the weekend.  If he believes this to be the right course of action, where were these mandates 2-4 weeks ago?  In a press conference announcing the end of the city's SAHO, he said he was only allowing reopening so the city wouldn't become an "island".  So the mayor is opening the city while simultaneously chastising the Republican suburbs for doing the same; a nakedly cowardly move to have his political cake and eat it too.  His motivations appear misplaced.

Moreover, I've been increasingly discouraged by the continuing/escalation of rhetoric (mostly on local social media, but also parroted in the media) that any relaxation of social distancing or a personal decision by individuals to not wear PPE is "going to kill grandma" or whatever.  That was never the point of social distancing.  The point was never to stop new cases, but to prevent the healthcare system from being overwhelmed (which now seems like an extinct possibility).  Under both curves, grandma still probably gets COVID-19 and may die.  The hospital system is as ready as its ever going to be, so for that reason it's time to end the lockdown.

I genuinely cannot fathom what line of tortured reasoning brings one to the conclusion that this is something to be *encouraged by*
This is how virus-truthers feel across the country. They are scared to acknowledge the truth so they stay buried under the sand in with fictitious beliefs that everything is normal and always will be. Basically a form of denial to cope with tough situations.
It’s truly an enviable way of thinking, to be able to be so willfully ignorant for your own happiness.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #2144 on: May 14, 2020, 04:47:28 PM »

This is how virus-truthers feel across the country. They are scared to acknowledge the truth so they stay buried under the sand in with fictitious beliefs that everything is normal and always will be. Basically a form of denial to cope with tough situations.
It’s truly an enviable way of thinking, to be able to be so willfully ignorant for your own happiness.

Their chief:

Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #2145 on: May 14, 2020, 05:03:58 PM »

Their chief:

I mean, this is actually true.  If you do more testing you will invariably identify more cases.  Didn't we all agree on this several weeks ago?
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #2146 on: May 14, 2020, 05:07:44 PM »

I mean, this is actually true.  If you do more testing you will invariably identify more cases.  Didn't we all agree on this several weeks ago?

"It's so bizarre.  All these thousands of people keep dying for some mysterious reason.  They probably all had a case of something, but who can say?"
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #2147 on: May 14, 2020, 05:11:13 PM »

Their chief:

Great. So I guess if the police stopped doing rape kits that would solve the rape and sexual assault problem.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #2148 on: May 14, 2020, 05:11:44 PM »
« Edited: May 14, 2020, 05:16:00 PM by Del Tachi »

Lmfao, "my truth" is testing positive for antibodies on April 10th while never experiencing any symptoms, knowing absolutely no one who has gotten severely ill or hospitalized, having all my doctor friends tell me this is crazy, and knowing multiple friends/family who have been furloughed or lost a job. 

I'm not living with my head under the sand.  This is my truth.  I would hate to know what kind of tortured existence it is to stay locked inside, watching multiple hours of cable news every day, and reading unsourced panic porn on Twitter about how every kid in America is going to die of COVID-induced Kawasaki disease if we even think about opening a single American classroom.  I hate to envision the type of constant anxiety and mental issues that must accompany such self-inflicted damage.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #2149 on: May 14, 2020, 05:19:28 PM »
« Edited: May 14, 2020, 05:23:44 PM by Del Tachi »

Their chief:

Great. So I guess if the police stopped doing rape kits that would solve the rape and sexual assault problem.

The only way you get from the observation that testing capacity has a deterministic impact on new case counts to what you just said is by either 1) being illiterate or 2) operating in extremely bad faith. 

Is Trump articulate or even inspiring confidence with his remarks?  An emphatic no.  But he's just repeating a pretty compelling, standard argument that's been evoked ad naseum by scientists, doctors, and commentators on both the left and right. 
Pages: 1 ... 81 82 83 84 85 [86] 87 88 89 90 91 ... 201  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies