COVID-19 Megathread 5: The Trumps catch COVID-19 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 08:10:34 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  COVID-19 Megathread 5: The Trumps catch COVID-19 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: COVID-19 Megathread 5: The Trumps catch COVID-19  (Read 266450 times)
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« on: April 20, 2020, 11:24:06 PM »

Immigrants don’t live on the streets. In fact, many need to prove that they and their sponsor(s) are well above the federal poverty line as a requirement to be approved. It’s not like bunking in their sponsors’ place of residence for a few weeks will expend so much of our resources.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2020, 12:18:24 AM »

Immigrants don’t live on the streets. In fact, many need to prove that they and their sponsor(s) are well above the federal poverty line as a requirement to be approved. It’s not like bunking in their sponsors’ place of residence for a few weeks will expend so much of our resources.

Will someone sponsored by an employer live in the office?

And if it’s a family sponsor, then above the poverty line does not = ability to sustain another adult / family.

Lastly, you say “bunking in their sponsors’ place of residence for a few weeks.” NYC, the place that gets the most immigrants, won’t open in a few weeks.

I mean, immigrants that come here on workers visas generally have living accommodations set up anyway when they move here lol. And yes I expect immigrants to live with their sponsors because they’re generally fiancés, spouses, parents or other family members. I know well enough that it’s hard to support people when you’re just above the poverty line because I was once a poor immigrant myself but you might be surprised at how accommodating family members are of their relatives who recently arrived in the country.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2020, 07:48:53 PM »

Anyway my mother-in-law tested positive today. Fever and aches. She drove by our place last Sunday to give us things like soap and water so there was contact. Fun. Also my grandmother-in-law also has a bad fever.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2020, 02:38:56 PM »

If I had a quarter for every time I read “Walls Are Closing In On Trump”, I would remain broke as I don’t read such drivel.

It's clear you don't read anything of substance or factual either.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2020, 09:18:28 AM »

60k officially dead in the US now because of the virus in a few weeks.

And that’s only the numbers from hospitals and nursing homes.

Based on weekly death data from other countries (which are tracking all deaths in a country, also those at home), the real numbers could be 50% higher or twice as high.

Not sure why people are still quoting these grossly inaccurate numbers, like they mean anything. But okay.

What do you think is inaccurate ?

Because he thinks the pandemic isn’t real or is overblown and that we should all go out and boost the economy to help Trump’s re-election chances.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2020, 09:05:59 AM »

When will they release the unemployment rate? It has to be over 15%.

First Friday of every month, so tomorrow.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2020, 11:09:55 AM »

Had the Coronavirus nasal swab. It’s not pleasant, but it’s not nearly as bad as some proclaim. Result was Negative.

That's good. Are you showing symptoms? I never took one because I didn't show symptoms even after coming in contact with someone who had it. I was told I could get a false negative if I dont show symptoms.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2020, 11:28:43 AM »

Had the Coronavirus nasal swab. It’s not pleasant, but it’s not nearly as bad as some proclaim. Result was Negative.

That's good. Are you showing symptoms? I never took one because I didn't show symptoms even after coming in contact with someone who had it. I was told I could get a false negative if I dont show symptoms.

Nah I was the hospital overnight for something unrelated, but for any admission they required the test being done.

Interesting, I was in the ER on Thursday (kidney stones) and they weren't doing tests. Had to wear a mask though, which coupled with the pain made me miserable.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2020, 09:11:16 PM »

Quite a few braindead posters showing their heads here asking us to risk it all for the sake of muh economy, but this is Atlas so it's par for the course.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2020, 11:43:05 PM »

Partial spoof of Eleanor Rigby, referring to some of the people that I saw at a Wal*Mart today:

Must be a moron! Wearing no mask when we're having a plague!

You might just die!

Children without masks! They might get sick just by being with you!

That is no lie!

All the stupid people -- where do they all come from!
All the stupid people -- where DO  they all come from!

Oh, look at all the stupid people!
Oh, look at all the stupid people!

Lol children don’t get sick from this but nice try

Ma’am........
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2020, 02:32:30 PM »

Even though we are months removed, and the weather is now warm, in my head it still feels like it’s March. Anyone else?

Kinda feel that, but for me it's more like the days are moving so fast that I always think the actual date is days or weeks ago.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2020, 10:34:48 PM »

I think the lowest amount of deaths since 3/29 per Arch’s numbers.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2020, 03:42:46 PM »

California re-instituting bar, restaurant, movie theater, and other closures. Other states seeing spiking cases would be wise to follow suit swiftly.

Ugh.  California locked down hard and early.  And cases kept rising all throughout the lockdown. Why keep repeating a strategy that has already proven to be a failure, without any real endgame in mind?  This is all reminiscent of the Vietnam War, or the Iraq War "surge".

The lockdown worked. We weren’t hit hard like other states such as NY, NJ, WA or LA. Then Newsom eased restrictions and cases recently started to spike because of it. Restrictions should have never been lifted.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2020, 04:58:07 PM »

California re-instituting bar, restaurant, movie theater, and other closures. Other states seeing spiking cases would be wise to follow suit swiftly.

Ugh.  California locked down hard and early.  And cases kept rising all throughout the lockdown. Why keep repeating a strategy that has already proven to be a failure, without any real endgame in mind?  This is all reminiscent of the Vietnam War, or the Iraq War "surge".

The lockdown worked. We weren’t hit hard like other states such as NY, NJ, WA or LA. Then Newsom eased restrictions and cases recently started to spike because of it. Restrictions should have never been lifted.

If cases keep rising under the lockdown, how do you know when to end or ease the lockdown?
A lockdown isn't working if you have to stay under lockdown indefinitely.

Cases keep rising because it’s impossible to cut human contact. People will ignore the lockdown. People will still go out to get groceries and other necessities. Some don’t wear masks when doing so. People are still coming in (and out) of the state. Saying “cases still went up!” as an argument for why lockdowns don’t work is pretty weak.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2020, 05:45:05 PM »

If cases keep rising under the lockdown, how do you know when to end or ease the lockdown?
A lockdown isn't working if you have to stay under lockdown indefinitely.

Cases keep rising because it’s impossible to cut human contact. People will ignore the lockdown. People will still go out to get groceries and other necessities. Some don’t wear masks when doing so. People are still coming in (and out) of the state. Saying “cases still went up!” as an argument for why lockdowns don’t work is pretty weak.

It sounds like you are conceding that lockdowns don’t work in reality.
So if you institute a lockdown and for whatever reason, cases keep rising, is that specific lockdown working?  How do you know when to end it?

My good dude, I just said in an earlier post that the lockdown worked. Our hospitals were not overrun with sick and dying patients back in March/April and cases and deaths were low, especially compared to other states that were seriously hurting (NY/NJ/LA/MI/WA). I got a kidney stone in late April and was able to go to the emergency room and not wait because our hospital was not stressed and at capacity. The states that are seriously hurting now put no safety guidelines in place, or did so too late and now their hospitals are nearly or at capacity.

I also didn't say the cases still rose for "whatever reason". I laid it out pretty clearly. It's not as black and white as "lockdowns are ineffective because people are still getting sick when they're in place".
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2020, 05:11:29 PM »

A disgusting Nazi couple at a MN supermarket:

Have you heard of the term "mask nazi"? They might not use it in Austria.

Um, never heard it in California either.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2020, 09:14:42 AM »

I just can't believe anyone thinks the states ended the lockdowns too early.

Apparently, New York is doing quite well since they ended the real lockdown stage. People are crowding beaches maskless, and the number of new cases is mighty low.

Congraturitos to New York but there are other states too, and many ended the lockdown and are now surging in cases and deaths.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2020, 09:28:32 AM »

I just can't believe anyone thinks the states ended the lockdowns too early.

Apparently, New York is doing quite well since they ended the real lockdown stage. People are crowding beaches maskless, and the number of new cases is mighty low.

Congraturitos to New York but there are other states too, and many ended the lockdown and are now surging in cases and deaths.

Cases in states like Arizona and Texas are dropping like a rock now too.

Why do you keep cherry picking certain states to try to prove your point when there are many other states where the lockdowns ended early and are still struggling? Particularly in the South. And it’s not like a dip in cases now means it can’t and won’t go back up in the future. Roll Eyes
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies