2020 New York Redistricting
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 15, 2024, 05:37:01 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  2020 New York Redistricting
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 30 31 32 [33] 34 35 36 37 38 ... 85
Author Topic: 2020 New York Redistricting  (Read 108604 times)
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #800 on: February 01, 2022, 10:58:49 AM »
« edited: February 01, 2022, 11:03:32 AM by Oryxslayer »

New York Assembly Districts have been uploaded. First things I noticed are: Least change in many areas, new Asian seats in Brooklyn and Queens, and the second nested seat in Rockland very likely becoming a Orthodox seat. DRA says 93 seats >55% Biden.

Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #801 on: February 01, 2022, 11:52:40 AM »
« Edited: February 01, 2022, 01:59:24 PM by Oryxslayer »

Full Senate Map. 45 districts are more than 55% Biden according to DRA. This is larger then the present caucus, but there were a lot of 52-48ish Biden seats on the old map cause of the lengths the GOP previously went to spread out and maximize their vote.

Some very crazy stuff going on in South Brooklyn. SD20 (peach) is an asian seat though, and SD19 (olive) is even more of a Felder pack. SD07 (light brown) in South Queens and Rockaways is much safer than it appears.

Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #802 on: February 01, 2022, 12:07:50 PM »

What happens to Palumbo?
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #803 on: February 01, 2022, 12:15:25 PM »

Why did they keep that stupid snaking Assembly seat in the Catskills? It’s so terrible!
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #804 on: February 01, 2022, 12:41:33 PM »

NY SD-01 is Biden+4.5, Previously Biden+1.2
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #805 on: February 01, 2022, 01:08:50 PM »

Why didn’t they just pack the district?  Palumbo would still win the new district.
Anti-Trump Truth Socialite JD Vance Enjoying Juror
NYDem
United States Minor Outlying Islands

« Reply #806 on: February 01, 2022, 01:32:37 PM »
« Edited: February 01, 2022, 03:54:30 PM by NYDem »

Good God why does NY-101 still exist. That seriously might have been the ugliest state leg district in the country. It wasn't even road-contiguous (between the Towns of Hardenburgh and Dennings there is no connection), and there are multiple places where it is almost non-road-contiguous, only being connected through back roads. A lake completely bisects the district, with a single bridge crossing. There are no conceivable COIs which connect New Hartford to the Catskill wilderness areas to Orange County.

Why in the world didn't they just cut it?
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #807 on: February 01, 2022, 01:59:05 PM »

Why didn’t they just pack the district?  Palumbo would still win the new district.

If you look at the maps, they choose to sink other Republicans. Despite Biden winning a few seats, the only Suffolk county Democrat is Cross-County SD-05's and SD-08's James Gaughran and John Brooks. Of course the Dems hold all the Nassau seats, but that is why they focusing on locking down those seats. In this instance they choose to nuke the successor to SD-03 and ensure the successor to SD-06, which slid further into Suffolk with SD-08's departure from the county, was as safe as possible. So SD-01 kinda got whatever leftover D areas are there.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #808 on: February 01, 2022, 03:28:34 PM »
« Edited: February 01, 2022, 03:44:08 PM by Smash255 »

Why didn’t they just pack the district?  Palumbo would still win the new district.

If you look at the maps, they choose to sink other Republicans. Despite Biden winning a few seats, the only Suffolk county Democrat is Cross-County SD-05's and SD-08's James Gaughran and John Brooks. Of course the Dems hold all the Nassau seats, but that is why they focusing on locking down those seats. In this instance they choose to nuke the successor to SD-03 and ensure the successor to SD-06, which slid further into Suffolk with SD-08's departure from the county, was as safe as possible. So SD-01 kinda got whatever leftover D areas are there.

Assuming they all run for re-election, based on the new maps, Thomas would likely run in the 56th, Brooks the 62nd and Gaughran the 45th.  I would go from Thomas's districts to Brooks's district.  

Also do we know if this numbering scheme is correct?  I went with what was on the DRA link and does seem to be an odd numbering scheme.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #809 on: February 01, 2022, 03:53:22 PM »

Assuming they all run for re-election, based on the new maps, Thomas would likely run in the 56th, Brooks the 62nd and Gaughran the 45th.  I would go from Thomas's districts to Brooks's district.  

Also do we know if this numbering scheme is correct?  I went with what was on the DRA link and does seem to be an odd numbering scheme.

That was what was uploaded. Might change: NC used placeholder numbers until the final bill when legislatives districts got their same numbers as previously - Congressional ones did not, CA uses names for their seats until the final draft when they go N-S, and the NY commission used letters and names previously.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #810 on: February 01, 2022, 06:43:10 PM »

https://www.mediaite.com/tv/chuck-todd-confronts-top-democrat-on-partys-redistricting-you-dont-accept-that-youre-gerrymandering/

So you tell me how the House of Representatives that represents the population, one side wins the majority vote and loses seats. If the House doesn’t reflect the majority will, what the heck is it? So that tells you what kind of map we’re dealing with right now. So we can argue for fair districts and pick up Democratic seats because if the Republicans have gerrymandered it all to hell over the last couple of cycles.

lol wut
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #811 on: February 01, 2022, 07:37:28 PM »

That was a bad response, I think what he was trying to get at without directly saying it is NY’s map helps to counteract Republican gerrymanders. There’s no hiding it’s a gerrymander, though how extreme it is can be debated
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #812 on: February 01, 2022, 07:40:41 PM »

Full Senate Map. 45 districts are more than 55% Biden according to DRA. This is larger then the present caucus, but there were a lot of 52-48ish Biden seats on the old map cause of the lengths the GOP previously went to spread out and maximize their vote.

Some very crazy stuff going on in South Brooklyn. SD20 (peach) is an asian seat though, and SD19 (olive) is even more of a Felder pack. SD07 (light brown) in South Queens and Rockaways is much safer than it appears.

This looks like it's targeting Sue Serino.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #813 on: February 02, 2022, 01:04:58 AM »

https://www.mediaite.com/tv/chuck-todd-confronts-top-democrat-on-partys-redistricting-you-dont-accept-that-youre-gerrymandering/

So you tell me how the House of Representatives that represents the population, one side wins the majority vote and loses seats. If the House doesn’t reflect the majority will, what the heck is it? So that tells you what kind of map we’re dealing with right now. So we can argue for fair districts and pick up Democratic seats because if the Republicans have gerrymandered it all to hell over the last couple of cycles.

lol wut

This tortured word salad is Exhibit A in the inevitable GOP lawsuit against the map.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #814 on: February 02, 2022, 01:31:13 AM »

As far as numbers go, I see Senate Democrats have chosen not to go overboard and just pad their supermajority in the upper chamber a bit.  Which is wise. 
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #815 on: February 02, 2022, 05:34:44 AM »

https://davesredistricting.org/join/56a14294-4422-45ef-a50f-e89e69f45b01
Thoughts on this non-partisan NY CD map I made?
Libertas Vel Mors
Haley/Ryan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -0.17

« Reply #816 on: February 02, 2022, 10:04:43 AM »
« Edited: February 02, 2022, 10:08:34 AM by North Carolina Conservative »

I like it other than the Borough Park-other Jewish communities split. Ideally there would be a solely South Brooklyn seat. Like this.

https://davesredistricting.org/maps#viewmap::52efeb58-18a3-465c-9f74-b98643bd5a32
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #817 on: February 02, 2022, 10:11:31 AM »
« Edited: February 02, 2022, 10:18:14 AM by lfromnj »

I like it other than the Borough Park-other Jewish communities split. Ideally 18th and 10th would swap around with the 8th to create a solely South Brooklyn seat. Like this.

https://davesredistricting.org/maps#viewmap::52efeb58-18a3-465c-9f74-b98643bd5a32

Its not just orthodox Jews there its also other immigrant groups like recent Eastern European immigrants. Generally its still a seat that makes a decent amount of sense but it is important to note that Orthodox Jews are not the only group there. Sunset Park is definetely an oddball in the seat although it is basically the only remaining part of Brooklyn not in the Staten Island seat nor black or progressive whites so it is likely going to be an oddball anywhere. It is likely they would effectively control the seat for any policies they want. I also am not a huge fan of the Westchester to Albany exurban seat which Phil made.
Libertas Vel Mors
Haley/Ryan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #818 on: February 02, 2022, 10:17:40 AM »

I like it other than the Borough Park-other Jewish communities split. Ideally 18th and 10th would swap around with the 8th to create a solely South Brooklyn seat. Like this.

Its not just orthodox Jews there its also other immigrant groups like recent Eastern European immigrants. Generally its still a seat that makes a decent amount of sense but it is important to note that Orthodox Jews are not the only group there. It is likely they would effectively control the seat for any policies they want.

Yeah, I should have been more specific. There are also other groups, like the Russians on Coney Island and Italians in places like Bergen Beach. I just meant to emphasize that that's the most clearly split up group -- the Russians and Italians are diluted by being placed with north oriented seats, but the Jewish neighborhoods are carved in two. I understand why the map does it (to create a Williamsburg to Red Hook district and remove pressure on the two black seats) but a South Brooklyn seat is a better community of interest, more compact, and removes pressure just as well.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #819 on: February 02, 2022, 10:18:33 AM »

Looking at that sort of arrangement gives me the thought that I should redraw the 11th and 9th to put Bensonhurst in the 9th while placing Sunset Park in the 11th.
https://davesredistricting.org/join/73e32e04-cbcd-472c-942f-6023fab6e208
Something like this.
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #820 on: February 02, 2022, 10:20:08 AM »

I think your biggest problem is combining the UWS with Harlem, which leaves that seat plurality white. Not going to be acceptable. You have to pair white parts of Manhattan with Brooklyn to preserve that minority seat.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #821 on: February 02, 2022, 10:21:49 AM »

Looking at that sort of arrangement gives me the thought that I should redraw the 11th and 9th to put Bensonhurst in the 9th while placing Sunset Park in the 11th.
Something like this.

Yeah I think that makes more sense. Sunset park is definetely the oddball in Brooklyn but that results in a more cohesive Southern Brooklyn seat
Libertas Vel Mors
Haley/Ryan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #822 on: February 02, 2022, 10:24:24 AM »

Something like this.

That makes sense, yeah.

I think your biggest problem is combining the UWS with Harlem, which leaves that seat plurality white. Not going to be acceptable. You have to pair white parts of Manhattan with Brooklyn to preserve that minority seat.

I doubt the courts would strike it down, honestly. Especially since the seat is still 60%+ non-White VAP and it can be pretty plausibly argued that Harlem and Brooklyn are disparate communities versus Harlem and the UWS.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #823 on: February 02, 2022, 10:27:36 AM »

Something like this.

That makes sense, yeah.

I doubt the courts would strike it down, honestly. Especially since the seat is still 60%+ non-White VAP and it can be pretty plausibly argued that Harlem and Brooklyn are disparate communities versus Harlem and the UWS.

I think he meant Manhattan has to be split into 3.
Libertas Vel Mors
Haley/Ryan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #824 on: February 02, 2022, 10:33:39 AM »

Something like this.

That makes sense, yeah.

I think he meant Manhattan has to be split into 3.

Well, Manhattan is split in 3 here. The question is just whether you have two entirely Manhattan-based seats or you pull one of the Manhattan seats into Brooklyn.
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 30 31 32 [33] 34 35 36 37 38 ... 85  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies