2020 New York Redistricting
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 05, 2024, 03:50:32 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  2020 New York Redistricting
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30 31 [32] 33 34 35 36 37 ... 85
Author Topic: 2020 New York Redistricting  (Read 107558 times)
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #775 on: January 31, 2022, 02:37:13 PM »

Kinda annoys me how they went for 0 deviation for most districts except the ones in Brooklyn/Manhattan

It's really hard to get zero deviation in NYC because many precincts (especially in Manhattan) consist of only one or two Census blocks that each have hundreds of people in them because it's just so dense. (One Manhattan block can easily have more than 1,000 residents.) Elsewhere in the state, and elsewhere in the country, a precinct will have dozens of Census blocks that are often in increments of 10-20 people.

Wonder if we can ever get vertically stacked blocks if that makes sense (I.e bottom and top 40 floors of a building get their own blocks
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #776 on: January 31, 2022, 04:09:46 PM »

My main problem with the new map is in the area I live in and where I am looking to buy, I would be stuck in the GOP LI district and could basically walk to the 1st (as it is I'm within even closer walking distance of the 3rd now)
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #777 on: January 31, 2022, 04:24:34 PM »
« Edited: January 31, 2022, 04:31:17 PM by cinyc »

One can also argue the law as written in the constitution only applies directly onto the commission and not if the state legistlature draws the lines; the wording makes this kinda undlear

One can argue anything, but it's a constitutional amendment, not a law, and the voters didn't put in place a commission so that the legislature could make an end-run around it and not be subject to the same rules. Especially when the NYS Constitution says that the rules equally apply to any amendments of the plan set forth by the legislature:

Quote from: NYS Constitution
If either house shall fail to approve the legislation implementing the second redistricting plan, or the governor shall veto such legislation and the legislature shall fail to override such veto, each house shall introduce such implementing legislation with any amendments each house of the legislature deems necessary. All such amendments shall comply with the provisions of this article. If approved by both houses, such legislation shall be presented to the governor for action.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #778 on: January 31, 2022, 04:39:25 PM »

Kinda annoys me how they went for 0 deviation for most districts except the ones in Brooklyn/Manhattan

What makes you say that? When I created the map for RRH, I only found very minor deviations of +/-1, except in NY-10, where some blocks got cut off by the VEST Team Shp when doing the intersection, and one district upstate where the same thing probably happened.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #779 on: January 31, 2022, 04:40:43 PM »

By the way are the 2 r "sinks" in western NY that crazy ?
It mostly just seems like Morelle wanted absolute certainty so he took in Ontario and dropped conservative conservative  Rochester suburbs. If you reverse that one district just seems to be the southern tier and the other just seems to be various lakefront towns while keeping the Buffalo and Rochester metroes whole.
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #780 on: January 31, 2022, 04:41:58 PM »

What makes you say that? When I created the map for RRH, I only found very minor deviations of +/-1, except in NY-10, where some blocks got cut off by the VEST Team Shp when doing the intersection, and one district upstate where the same thing probably happened.

Ye this ended up being my mistaske in drawing the map lol. Should've deleted the post
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #781 on: January 31, 2022, 05:13:24 PM »

It mostly just seems like Morelle wanted absolute certainty so he took in Ontario and dropped conservative conservative  Rochester suburbs. If you reverse that one district just seems to be the southern tier and the other just seems to be various lakefront towns while keeping the Buffalo and Rochester metroes whole.

Yes, that lakeshore district is a leftovers district, not a gerrymander.
It’s obvious to have a Buffalo, a Rochester, and a Syracuse + Ithaca district. Once you do that, you are going to have bits that don’t have enough people to make a full district. 
It's not just that you are a crook senator
MelihV
Rookie
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.65, S: -5.04

P P P
« Reply #782 on: January 31, 2022, 05:20:03 PM »

NY 24th is one of the ugliest districts i have ever seen lol
cvparty
United States

« Reply #783 on: January 31, 2022, 06:02:19 PM »

the sig complements your post so well lmao
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #784 on: January 31, 2022, 07:49:13 PM »

It mostly just seems like Morelle wanted absolute certainty so he took in Ontario and dropped conservative conservative  Rochester suburbs. If you reverse that one district just seems to be the southern tier and the other just seems to be various lakefront towns while keeping the Buffalo and Rochester metroes whole.

It’s obvious to have a Buffalo, a Rochester, and a Syracuse + Ithaca district. Once you do that, you are going to have bits that don’t have enough people to make a full district.  

Right - the Upstate districts are actually quite natural west of Albany and basically fine beyond some cuteness around Rochester. The main gerrymandering Upstate is in the Hudson Valley, and even then it's pretty light. Compared to the 23-3 maps that many people were pushing that would have required pretty extreme districts Upstate, this is tame.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #785 on: January 31, 2022, 08:03:51 PM »

It mostly just seems like Morelle wanted absolute certainty so he took in Ontario and dropped conservative conservative  Rochester suburbs. If you reverse that one district just seems to be the southern tier and the other just seems to be various lakefront towns while keeping the Buffalo and Rochester metroes whole.

Right - the Upstate districts are actually quite natural west of Albany and basically fine beyond some cuteness around Rochester. The main gerrymandering Upstate is in the Hudson Valley, and even then it's pretty light. Compared to the 23-3 maps that many people were pushing that would have required pretty extreme districts Upstate, this is tame.

I mean there is the Albany split considering the metro is a perfect district .
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #786 on: January 31, 2022, 08:18:30 PM »

I mean there is the Albany split considering the metro is a perfect district .

That's what I meant by the Hudson Valley but tbh what was done is still very moderate. It's not like they put Albany in a different district than the areas around it.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #787 on: January 31, 2022, 08:24:29 PM »

Will SI secede if a Afro Latina DSA wins? You think they will put up with that?

It’s a congressional seat so they’d have to secede from the U.S.!

A more "modest proposal" is that it could "secede" from NY and become part of NJ, to which it is closer to anyway. I know all the uber nerds on the forum already know this, but Todt Hill on SI is the highest point on the coastal plain that runs from Florida to Montawk, aka the tidewater and back when the slave belt (with supposedly Long Island having the highest percentage of slaves anywhere circa 1700 or some such date). And decorating the top of that hill, is a set of perhaps the gaudiest gates in America.

Todt Hill, SI is an example that low-education, high attainment is possible. After Staten Island, they move to Florida....
xelas81
Rookie
Falkland Islands (Islas Malvinas)

« Reply #788 on: January 31, 2022, 08:50:06 PM »

What percentage of new NY-3 live in Bronx and Westchester?
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #789 on: January 31, 2022, 08:58:39 PM »

20% ish iirc
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #790 on: January 31, 2022, 09:02:22 PM »

36.3% Nassau, 55.7/43 Biden, 53.2/43.1 Clinton

29.2% Suffolk, 49.6/48.9 Biden, 44.3/51.5 Trump

18.5% Westchester, 69.4/29.4 Biden, 65.6/30 Clinton

11.3% Queens, 64.2/34.7 Biden, 64.5/32.4 Clinton

4.7% Bronx, 48.7/50.1 Trump, 47.3/49.5 Trump
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #791 on: January 31, 2022, 10:45:12 PM »

Nothing, and I mean nothing, compares to the original early 90s NC-12.
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #792 on: January 31, 2022, 11:05:23 PM »

Yeah NY-24 seems more like an unfortunate "leftovers" district than a direct gerrymander itself, but rather a consequence of making the Rochester and Syracuse based seats conbined with depopulation
Minnesota Mike
YaBB God

« Reply #793 on: January 31, 2022, 11:22:47 PM »

Nothing, and I mean nothing, compares to the original early 90s NC-12.

Early 90's LA-04 is pretty terrible,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louisiana%27s_congressional_districts#/media/File:United_States_Congressional_Districts_in_Louisiana,_1993_%E2%80%93_1994.tif
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #794 on: January 31, 2022, 11:23:36 PM »
« Edited: January 31, 2022, 11:28:58 PM by lfromnj »

There was also TX 6th in the 1990s from the Frostmander.

CA-22 also wins a prize because its from an indepdent commision touted by the media as the example of good fair commissions that America needs(I don't think the media will defend NY redistricting much)

NY 24th really isn't that bad. Just a leftover Lakeshore district after you draw moderately Dem favorable districts for Syracuse and Rochester.

I guess people just have a bit too much of an aversion to donut districts. Ny 24th isn't what I woul draw but I don't get how its the worst.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #795 on: February 01, 2022, 07:05:16 AM »

The class of 1992 will always have the worst gerrymanders because that’s when they pushed the envelope on fractals and spindly collections of precincts with no concern for smoothness or compactness before getting smacked down by the SCOTUS. Texas, Louisiana, Florida, North Carolina, and less so Georgia.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #796 on: February 01, 2022, 07:14:59 AM »
« Edited: February 01, 2022, 07:41:09 AM by Oryxslayer »

Legislative maps are up. The twitter detectives are back at work btw.

All upstate D senators got safer seats. New Ithaca, Ulster, and Dutchess Dem seats. -2 R seats through reapportionment: one in Buffalo, one in the far North - both move into NYC.

politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #797 on: February 01, 2022, 07:45:13 AM »

Is the systematic underpopulation of Upstate districts and overpopulation of Downstate districts finally a thing of the past? I do recall seeing that the 2011 map did exactly that for the NY Senate.
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #798 on: February 01, 2022, 08:56:40 AM »

All upstate D senators got safer seats. New Ithaca, Ulster, and Dutchess Dem seats. -2 R seats through reapportionment: one in Buffalo, one in the far North - both move into NYC.

Does this basically lock in a super majority in the state senate?
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #799 on: February 01, 2022, 10:40:56 AM »

Does this basically lock in a super majority in the state senate?

Certainly looks like it, as expected.

Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30 31 [32] 33 34 35 36 37 ... 85  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies