OH-Sen 2022: So you’re telling me there’s a chance
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 22, 2024, 10:54:50 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  OH-Sen 2022: So you’re telling me there’s a chance
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 53 54 55 [56] 57 58 59 60 61 ... 75
Author Topic: OH-Sen 2022: So you’re telling me there’s a chance  (Read 96127 times)
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1375 on: July 24, 2022, 07:30:39 PM »

I have neither seen nor heard a single Vance ad since the primary. I don't think I've heard of him stumping anywhere either. Even going by the conventional wisdom that summer is a sleepy time for campaigns/voters aren't paying attention yet, it's kinda bizarre how quiet he's been. I do hope it continues though; I literally can't stand hearing his voice.

Seconded
Kahane's Grave Is A Gender-Neutral Bathroom
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix
E: 3.41, S: -1.29

P
« Reply #1376 on: July 24, 2022, 09:00:55 PM »

Who would have thought someone who has ran 11 successful campaigns would be better at campaigning than someone who has never run any campaign and had polar opposite policy positions five years ago?
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #1377 on: July 24, 2022, 09:10:22 PM »

Brown won in 2018 and that was not a Prez yr
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #1378 on: July 25, 2022, 10:28:31 AM »

What is the precedent for Tim Ryan winning? Would it be Heidi Heitkamp in 2012? Open seat, but demographics and Presidential votes are fatal to Dems? ND at least had a stronger track record of Democratic senators than Ohio, although Ohio has one which is better than zero.

2012 was clearly a better Dem year than 2022 can ever hope to be but ND then was redder than Ohio now.
SnowLabrador
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1379 on: July 25, 2022, 10:36:06 AM »

Perhaps Indiana 2012?
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #1380 on: July 25, 2022, 10:41:07 AM »
« Edited: July 25, 2022, 10:44:22 AM by Mr.Barkari Sellers »

What is the precedent for Tim Ryan winning? Would it be Heidi Heitkamp in 2012? Open seat, but demographics and Presidential votes are fatal to Dems? ND at least had a stronger track record of Democratic senators than Ohio, although Ohio has one which is better than zero.

2012 was clearly a better Dem year than 2022 can ever hope to be but ND then was redder than Ohio now.

Sherrod Brown 2018, 2018 wasn't that much a banner yr we won 41 H seats but we lost MO, IN, FL and ND

Tester and Manchin won in 2018, the reason why Trump won OH in 2016, Rob Portman and there wasn't a Senate race in 2o20 but Blks are 12 percent of the population, OH is a swing state Obama and Biden won twice it's not that red, it's purple too

If Ryan wins he will instantly join the ranks with Harris and NEWSOM for Prez in 2028, he ran in 2020 but endorsed Biden

Just like users think WI and IA are red you see the polls in IA every IA CONGRESS district except 4 has D's within MOE but let's not forget Rs are cheating with Voting Suppression laws and Gerrymandering by this right wing CRT, Rs aren't winning this Election by themselves
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #1381 on: July 25, 2022, 12:12:43 PM »

Had Kander won, it would’ve been MO-SEN 2016, due to the environment being less than ideal (I realize some have already made the comparison.) I still don’t buy this being at all winnable for Ryan, though a single-digit Vance win might be more likely now.
Pollster
YaBB God

« Reply #1382 on: July 25, 2022, 12:15:23 PM »

Maybe Nevada 2006? Party in power wins a Senate race in a midterm in a state trending away from them? Even then, though, Ensign was the incumbent.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1383 on: July 25, 2022, 01:48:01 PM »
« Edited: July 25, 2022, 01:52:57 PM by The Address That Must Not be Named »

And now JD Vance is essentially arguing that women should stay in "violent" marriages instead of getting divorced because children are better off in an abusive household than they are in a non-abusive household where one of the parents divorced the other to escape domestic violence.  Vance also said that he was "skeptical" about whether victims of domestic violence were better off divorcing their abuser to escape said domestic violence than they would be if they were unable divorce to their abuser.  

https://politicalwire.com/2022/07/25/j-d-vance-says-people-should-stay-in-violent-marriages/

Here is the full quote:

“This is one of the great tricks that I think the sexual revolution pulled on the American populace, which is the idea that like, ‘well, OK, these marriages were fundamentally, you know, they were maybe even violent, but certainly they were unhappy. And so getting rid of them and making it easier for people to shift spouses like they change their underwear, that’s going to make people happier in the long term.'  And maybe it worked out for the moms and dads, though I’m skeptical. But it really didn’t work out for the kids of those marriages."

I don't know if it matters in today's hyper-partisan political environment, but this sort of thing is probably about as close as you can get to a Todd Akin "legitimate rape" or a Richard Mourdock-level gaffe these days.  

Maybe Donnelly beating Mourdock in 2012?  2012 was obviously a less Republican year than 2022, but (IIRC) Indiana was also a significantly more Republican than than Ohio is today.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #1384 on: July 25, 2022, 01:52:26 PM »

These R senate candidates really seem to be doing everything they can to possibly lose.
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1385 on: July 25, 2022, 03:58:13 PM »

And now JD Vance is essentially arguing that women should stay in "violent" marriages instead of getting divorced because children are better off in an abusive household than they are in a non-abusive household where one of the parents divorced the other to escape domestic violence.  Vance also said that he was "skeptical" about whether victims of domestic violence were better off divorcing their abuser to escape said domestic violence than they would be if they were unable divorce to their abuser.  

https://politicalwire.com/2022/07/25/j-d-vance-says-people-should-stay-in-violent-marriages/

Here is the full quote:

“This is one of the great tricks that I think the sexual revolution pulled on the American populace, which is the idea that like, ‘well, OK, these marriages were fundamentally, you know, they were maybe even violent, but certainly they were unhappy. And so getting rid of them and making it easier for people to shift spouses like they change their underwear, that’s going to make people happier in the long term.'  And maybe it worked out for the moms and dads, though I’m skeptical. But it really didn’t work out for the kids of those marriages."

I don't know if it matters in today's hyper-partisan political environment, but this sort of thing is probably about as close as you can get to a Todd Akin "legitimate rape" or a Richard Mourdock-level gaffe these days.  

Maybe Donnelly beating Mourdock in 2012?  2012 was obviously a less Republican year than 2022, but (IIRC) Indiana was also a significantly more Republican than than Ohio is today.

Top voted comment on politicalwire.com: "Pro tip: staying in a violent marriage does not work for the kids, either."
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1386 on: July 25, 2022, 07:46:22 PM »

I’m as beaten down and cynical about the double standards republicans get but these comments by JD are getting a lot of traction
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1387 on: July 25, 2022, 08:26:25 PM »

Here is the full quote:

It's almost like he's trying to lose at this point.   

NYDem
United States Minor Outlying Islands

« Reply #1388 on: July 25, 2022, 08:44:12 PM »
« Edited: July 25, 2022, 11:21:19 PM by NYDem »

Here is the full quote:

It's almost like he's trying to lose at this point.  

Despite his best efforts he's likely going to win against his will.
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1389 on: July 25, 2022, 08:55:29 PM »
« Edited: July 25, 2022, 11:45:20 PM by Roll Roons »

I honestly wonder if Vance doesn't even want to be a Senator at this point. I'm not even sure why he ran in the first place.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #1390 on: July 26, 2022, 03:22:35 AM »

Will be the ultimate lol if Democrats are willing to waste £70 million to McGrath but can’t get £10 million the Ohio Democratic Party to enable it to get some field organisers.
Anzeigenhauptmeister
Hades
Junior Chimp
Israel

« Reply #1391 on: July 26, 2022, 03:42:20 AM »

I honestly wonder if Vance doesn't even want to be a Senator at this point. I'm not even sure why he ran in the first place.

Isn't his long-term goal simply to tout Peter Thiel and his foundation (along with Blake Masters)?
Secretary of State Liberal Hack
IBNU
YaBB God
Singapore

« Reply #1392 on: July 26, 2022, 03:57:07 AM »

Will be the ultimate lol if Democrats are willing to waste £70 million to McGrath but can’t get £10 million the Ohio Democratic Party to enable it to get some field organisers.
Tim Ryan and the OH dems seem to be doing fine on fundraising though ? Think Tim Ryan has pretty much reached the limit of what money can buy.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #1393 on: July 26, 2022, 07:27:29 AM »
« Edited: July 26, 2022, 07:37:14 AM by Mr.Barkari Sellers »

Rs assumes like MT Treasure that it would be a 245 RH and 54 S Eric Trump got on Fox news and Hannity and quoted that number and Vance was gonna walk in as Senator but gas prices and Airline tickets are going way down, the airlines are begging for passenger now

It's always a 303 map since 2016 and we won OH and KS in 2018 with a 303 Map

Just like Trump assumes he is gonna be Prez and all our incumbent Govs in MI, WI, PA are gonna be reelected, even EVERS

Look at MT Treasure R nut map now he still in thinks Mills and Whitmer Grisham are we gonna loose

That's why the compiled map which predicted Bevin to win KY will be wrong if it stays that way
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #1394 on: July 26, 2022, 08:04:57 AM »

Tim Ryan literally just raised $9.1M alone last Q (vs $1M for Vance).... I think he'll be fine.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #1395 on: July 26, 2022, 08:20:48 AM »

Tim Ryan literally just raised $9.1M alone last Q (vs $1M for Vance).... I think he'll be fine.

You’ll see I specified that money needs to go to the state party or people who know how to organise rather than just the campaigns or random super Pacs!
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #1396 on: July 26, 2022, 08:31:06 AM »

You’ll see I specified that money needs to go to the state party or people who know how to organise rather than just the campaigns or random super Pacs!

... and Tim Ryan has served in congress for what, two decades or something? I think his team probably knows how to organize.
Secretary of State Liberal Hack
IBNU
YaBB God
Singapore

« Reply #1397 on: July 26, 2022, 08:35:13 AM »

https://docquery.fec.gov/cgi-bin/forms/C00016899/1618498/
The parties fundraising seems pretty ok ?
MillennialModerate
MillennialMAModerate
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1398 on: July 26, 2022, 08:36:19 AM »

It’s a shame this wasn’t in a Dem friendly year. This would be a Dem pickup.

I always liked Ryan even when people were calling him stale and bland. Not to mention Vance is a POS
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #1399 on: July 26, 2022, 09:11:07 AM »

It’s a shame this wasn’t in a Dem friendly year. This would be a Dem pickup.

I always liked Ryan even when people were calling him stale and bland. Not to mention Vance is a POS

Yeah, on paper this is pretty much an ideal race for the Ohio Democrats - moderate-ish Democrat with a proven track record and working class support vs a Republican who is a complete phony and backed by Peter Thiel.

If this were even a neutral cycle, I'd probably say that Ryan has the advantage.

It sucks that the national environment will pull Vance over the finish line.
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 53 54 55 [56] 57 58 59 60 61 ... 75  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies