OH-Sen 2022: So you’re telling me there’s a chance
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 10:55:04 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  OH-Sen 2022: So you’re telling me there’s a chance
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 58 59 60 [61] 62 63 64 65 66 ... 75
Author Topic: OH-Sen 2022: So you’re telling me there’s a chance  (Read 97086 times)
prag_prog
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1500 on: August 26, 2022, 03:46:32 PM »

I have zero hope on Ohio. Its the state where the polls have been the most wrong by significant margin in every cycle over the past 8 years. I would be happy if Ryan can lose by a margin of <5 points
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #1501 on: August 26, 2022, 04:12:39 PM »

I have zero hope on Ohio. Its the state where the polls have been the most wrong by significant margin in every cycle over the past 8 years. I would be happy if Ryan can lose by a margin of <5 points

Lol it's wave insurance seats and iit will add to our number of 52 seats
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #1502 on: August 26, 2022, 04:28:46 PM »

I think that people are underestimating how much Vance is a terrible candidate frankly.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #1503 on: August 26, 2022, 05:31:43 PM »

It's gonna depend on the early VBM that's starting very soon how many votes are banked for D's Ryan, Fetterman, Crist, BEASLEY and Demings are gonna get

But FL maybe a surprise because of what's going on with Mara Largo it may indeed flip D

Matt GAETZ needs to be DEFEATED , especially with Crist and Gwen Graham
I Will Not Be Wrong
outofbox6
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1504 on: August 27, 2022, 04:55:39 PM »

Considering that Ryan has come out against the student loan action, I won't feel as bad when he loses.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #1505 on: August 27, 2022, 10:21:50 PM »
« Edited: August 27, 2022, 10:28:17 PM by Adam Griffin »

Loving that (intentionally or not) Ryan's team manages to pull out the anti-semitism card to appeal to "median Ohio independent voter":

Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #1506 on: August 27, 2022, 10:39:01 PM »

Considering that Ryan has come out against the student loan action, I won't feel as bad when he loses.

Yeah, it’s disappointing how many Democrats are parroting Republican talking points on this issue.
Kahane's Grave Is A Gender-Neutral Bathroom
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix
E: 3.41, S: -1.29

P
« Reply #1507 on: August 27, 2022, 10:50:54 PM »

Loving that (intentionally or not) Ryan's team manages to pull out the anti-semitism card to appeal to "median Ohio independent voter":

?
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #1508 on: August 27, 2022, 11:01:30 PM »

?

(((top of Vance's head)))
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1509 on: August 27, 2022, 11:16:14 PM »

?

(((top of Vance's head)))

Imagine actually believing there is anything anti-Semitic about Ryan using that picture Roll Eyes
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #1510 on: August 28, 2022, 01:13:59 AM »

Imagine actually believing there is anything anti-Semitic about Ryan using that picture Roll Eyes

If you think there isn't an entire team whose job description includes collecting images that can be "unflattering" - both consciously and sub-consciously - then guess again. The brain's image processing centers are powerful: a split-second glance across such an image when scrolling through social media or elsewhere is going to tickle a part of certain people's brains that intrinsically invokes the word "Jew" on some level. I'm sure they have many others to invoke other descriptors when targeting on-the-fence voters as well.

I did an experiment with this image, trying to see where and if it showed up in Google images (incognito/neutral search). I couldn't find it (without scrolling forever, at least) with a simple "J.D. Vance" query. When I looked for it as "J.D. Vance TPUSA", I still had to scroll through several dozen images to find it - and not before finding several equally unflattering images (based on posture, facial expression, etc) at the same event. Besides that, there are (I'm sure) hundreds of other "negative" images of Vance from all over that could have been chosen in lieu of that one that would have served any other universally-acknowledged purpose!

No, I definitely believe that this image for this occasion was chosen purposefully from a portfolio of "questionable" images already on file with the campaign, many of which exist to "other" Vance in multiple different ways. And if you really want to get upset with me, then let me make it clear that I endorse such actions, which are both smart and invaluable when used for a wide variety of negative psychological messaging tactics (particularly for a Democratic campaign facing an uphill battle in a Republican state). GOP campaigns have been doing such en masse for ages, and who knows the cumulative impact it has had in their benefit (when true plausible deniability exists & it doesn't overtly cross the line, anyway).
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1511 on: August 28, 2022, 01:19:08 AM »

Yeah I gotta agree that picture doesn't even seem that unflattering though it's certainly not the best photo either. It's common for political campaigns to use awkard and ugly pictures of their opponents all the time regardless of race. What crosses a line is when we see campaigns, particularly on the R side, do things like photoshop to darken someone's skin colour or increase the size of their nose.

This is one of the biggest something from nothings I've seen
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #1512 on: August 28, 2022, 01:49:24 AM »

If you think there isn't an entire team whose job description includes collecting images that can be "unflattering" - both consciously and sub-consciously - then guess again. The brain's image processing centers are powerful: a split-second glance across such an image when scrolling through social media or elsewhere is going to tickle a part of certain people's brains that intrinsically invokes the word "Jew" on some level. I'm sure they have many others to invoke other descriptors when targeting on-the-fence voters as well.

I did an experiment with this image, trying to see where and if it showed up in Google images (incognito/neutral search). I couldn't find it (without scrolling forever, at least) with a simple "J.D. Vance" query. When I looked for it as "J.D. Vance TPUSA", I still had to scroll through several dozen images to find it - and not before finding several equally unflattering images (based on posture, facial expression, etc) at the same event. Besides that, there are (I'm sure) hundreds of other "negative" images of Vance from all over that could have been chosen in lieu of that one that would have served any other universally-acknowledged purpose!

No, I definitely believe that this image for this occasion was chosen purposefully from a portfolio of "questionable" images already on file with the campaign, many of which exist to "other" Vance in multiple different ways. And if you really want to get upset with me, then let me make it clear that I endorse such actions, which are both smart and invaluable when used for a wide variety of negative psychological messaging tactics (particularly for a Democratic campaign facing an uphill battle in a Republican state). GOP campaigns have been doing such en masse for ages, and who knows the cumulative impact it has had in their benefit (when true plausible deniability exists & it doesn't overtly cross the line, anyway).

yeah, this is a reach
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #1513 on: August 28, 2022, 02:07:06 AM »

Reach or not, it is their most favored social media image of the entire campaign. Again, plenty of unflattering Vance images out there - just Google him!

Every time the Ryan campaign makes a pitch online where poll numbers are cited, that is the image used. In fact, it was the first social media image the campaign posted on Twitter and their second overall tweet on the campaign account back in March. Just FYI.
Buffalo Mayor Young Kim
LVScreenssuck

« Reply #1514 on: August 28, 2022, 03:04:25 AM »

Reach or not, it is their most favored social media image of the entire campaign. Again, plenty of unflattering Vance images out there - just Google him!

Every time the Ryan campaign makes a pitch online where poll numbers are cited, that is the image used. In fact, it was the first social media image the campaign posted on Twitter and their second overall tweet on the campaign account back in March. Just FYI.
Umm, how is standing in front of a light anti-Semitic?
Also, the image, if you didn’t notice, is hosted on wikimedia commons and thus doesn’t require paying for a license.
Comrade Funk
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -5.91

P P P

« Reply #1515 on: August 28, 2022, 07:38:10 AM »

What an embarrassing reach.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #1516 on: August 28, 2022, 08:54:32 AM »

This. That pic of Vance looks like every other pic I've ever seen of him used.
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1517 on: August 28, 2022, 08:57:10 AM »

Just stop. This is basically QAnon-type s**t.
RussFeingoldWasRobbed
Progress96
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.26

« Reply #1518 on: August 28, 2022, 09:11:17 AM »

Nuclear take
I think Sherrod Brown is more likely to lose by double digits than Vance is to win by >Trump's margin
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #1519 on: August 28, 2022, 09:15:04 AM »

Nuclear take
I think Sherrod Brown is more likely to lose by double digits than Vance is to win by >Trump's margin

Its wave insurance do you know what that means it's not called at poll closing TOO CLOSE TO CALL TOO EARLY TO CALL JUST LIKE FL AND NC WILL BE

Sherrod Brown and DeWine weren't called at poll closing in 2012 or 2018 it was TOO EARLY TOO CLOSE TO CALL AT POLL CLOSING
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #1520 on: August 28, 2022, 10:38:31 AM »

I don't understand this calculation that Ryan made to go against student debt relief. It's overall popular, and I would imagine Ohio, a lean R state, still has a ton of independents and even Republicans are still okay with it. Him back tracking on this is not a good look. It's not like this is some winning issue for Rs, so him going against it makes no sense to me

Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1521 on: August 28, 2022, 10:48:51 AM »

Yeah, it’s disappointing how many Democrats are parroting Republican talking points on this issue.

Sadly they have on other issues as well (like guns).
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #1522 on: August 28, 2022, 10:57:30 AM »

Sadly they have on other issues as well (like guns).

Like I get on some issues he needs to moderate towards the center, b/c it's still a Trump+8 state. But student debt relief is way more popular with Indies and even Rs than standard typical ideological policies, so his whole schtick here doesn't make sense to me.

He could've even did a thing where he still talked about his issues with it but added that it's still a great relief to many Ohio voters. There was a middle ground for him to take here and he just blew it imo.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #1523 on: August 28, 2022, 11:08:22 AM »

Vance and DeSantis are up 5 pts but c'mon people just like Sir Muhammad says DeSantis is safe 5 pts isn't 10 or 20 pts it can be erased Ryan  was up 5 pts a couple of weeks ago
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #1524 on: August 28, 2022, 11:17:12 AM »

He could've even did a thing where he still talked about his issues with it but added that it's still a great relief to many Ohio voters. There was a middle ground for him to take here and he just blew it imo.

Surely he'll just pivot to that soon.
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 58 59 60 [61] 62 63 64 65 66 ... 75  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies