Virginia Mega Thread: The Youngkin Administration
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 23, 2024, 08:14:57 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Virginia Mega Thread: The Youngkin Administration
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 47 48 49 [50] 51 52 53 54 55 ... 284
Author Topic: Virginia Mega Thread: The Youngkin Administration  (Read 348686 times)
Duke of York

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1225 on: September 15, 2021, 05:08:45 PM »

Yard signs as a campaign tactic are intended to increase the perception of social acceptability for supporting the candidate - the idea is that they reinforce the idea that "you are not alone."

The data do show that this does tend to have non-negligible effects on independent/non-ideological voters who live in highly partisan areas, which is why you will often see R signs in D areas, and vice versa. There is some great writing about how Doug Jones' 2017 campaign made great use of this tactic in the Birmingham suburbs and Mobile area.

Data also show that they are far more effective in local races and ballot measure campaigns.

yard signs don't vote.
Canis
canis
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

P P P

« Reply #1226 on: September 15, 2021, 06:28:01 PM »

Yard signs as a campaign tactic are intended to increase the perception of social acceptability for supporting the candidate - the idea is that they reinforce the idea that "you are not alone."

The data do show that this does tend to have non-negligible effects on independent/non-ideological voters who live in highly partisan areas, which is why you will often see R signs in D areas, and vice versa. There is some great writing about how Doug Jones' 2017 campaign made great use of this tactic in the Birmingham suburbs and Mobile area.

Data also show that they are far more effective in local races and ballot measure campaigns.
I'd be interested to see that writing about Doug Jones's campaign. When I went through the National Democrat Training Committee's TAP Training Program they advised us to not use campaign signs because they're costly and ineffective. They suggested Mailers are a much more efficient method of campaigning along with just plain old door-to-door conversations with voters. So that's where I was coming from on that pretty much they said signs don't sway nearly enough voters for the price tag it takes to produce and distribute them along with collecting them after the election.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #1227 on: September 15, 2021, 06:32:54 PM »

lmao

After the recall results this looks like an even better campaign tactic.
Pollster
YaBB God

« Reply #1228 on: September 15, 2021, 07:56:16 PM »

yard signs don't vote.

Yes - they are purely a psychological tactic. Almost a form of electoral gaslighting.
Pollster
YaBB God

« Reply #1229 on: September 15, 2021, 08:00:15 PM »

I'd be interested to see that writing about Doug Jones's campaign. When I went through the National Democrat Training Committee's TAP Training Program they advised us to not use campaign signs because they're costly and ineffective. They suggested Mailers are a much more efficient method of campaigning along with just plain old door-to-door conversations with voters. So that's where I was coming from on that pretty much they said signs don't sway nearly enough voters for the price tag it takes to produce and distribute them along with collecting them after the election.

They’re mostly right - it’s not the right strategy for every race (and certainly wasn’t the right strategy for Trump).

Here’s the article.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1230 on: September 16, 2021, 11:58:48 AM »

Washington Post endorsed TMac today to the surprise of nobody.
Devils30
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.06, S: -4.00

« Reply #1231 on: September 16, 2021, 01:07:01 PM »

The GOP's performance in SoCal was very bad for their chances of taking back the HoD in Virginia. If Dems are winning Orange County, they're probably doing well enough to hold at least the 52 seats that were Biden+10 or more.
Non Swing Voter
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1232 on: September 16, 2021, 03:34:27 PM »

Yes.  NOVA has a lot of hispanic and asian voters similar to Orange County.  The white voters are going to skew a lot more liberal on social issues. It's probably fair to say that Fairfax county votes at least 10 points to the left of whatever the final OC margin is. 

Elder was extremely weak at the top of the ticket there but I'm not sure how much that mattered, Dems were going to vote Dem anyway.  Plus, the GOP has a fairly weak (not as weak as Elder) candidate at the top of the ticket in VA too.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1233 on: September 16, 2021, 04:55:39 PM »

Yes.  NOVA has a lot of hispanic and asian voters similar to Orange County.  The white voters are going to skew a lot more liberal on social issues. It's probably fair to say that Fairfax county votes at least 10 points to the left of whatever the final OC margin is. 

Elder was extremely weak at the top of the ticket there but I'm not sure how much that mattered, Dems were going to vote Dem anyway.  Plus, the GOP has a fairly weak (not as weak as Elder) candidate at the top of the ticket in VA too.

Of course, please remember that East Coast demos =/= west coast demos, despite the uniform header. Lots more carribeans than mexicans, lots more South Asians than vietnamese and koreans. Generally a much higher democratic baseline.
Bleach Blonde Bad Built Butch Bodies for Biden
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #1234 on: September 16, 2021, 06:02:48 PM »

The debate just started on C-SPAN now.
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1235 on: September 16, 2021, 06:15:31 PM »

T-Mac has jokes

Non Swing Voter
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1236 on: September 16, 2021, 06:22:16 PM »

Virginians are trained to change the channel or mute it every time Youngkin comes on (once every 5 mins) so the idea of a "joint vaccine PSA" would just be a waste of money like all of Youngkin's other ads.  Why doesn't Youngkin stop wasting so much money on his failed campaign and donate it to vaccine research?
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #1237 on: September 16, 2021, 06:24:45 PM »

Youngkin says he is pro-life but opposes the Texas-style abortion law.
Non Swing Voter
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1238 on: September 16, 2021, 06:25:14 PM »

Since I wrote this 2 Youngkin ads have come on.  Both featuring Sheriffs.  It should be illegal for them to be partisan actors.  Who would think they would investigate crimes fairly.
Non Swing Voter
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1239 on: September 16, 2021, 06:25:35 PM »

Youngkin says he is pro-life but opposes the Texas-style abortion law.

So his position is that he'll lose by 10 points but not 30.
swf541

« Reply #1240 on: September 16, 2021, 06:26:30 PM »

Virginians are trained to change the channel or mute it every time Youngkin comes on (once every 5 mins) so the idea of a "joint vaccine PSA" would just be a waste of money like all of Youngkin's other ads.  Why doesn't Youngkin stop wasting so much money on his failed campaign and donate it to vaccine research?

Lol yes, I'm extremely sick of seeing his ads and im in western MD.
SnowLabrador
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1241 on: September 16, 2021, 06:27:06 PM »

Hot take: This is a sleeper race, and Youngkin has about a 30% chance of winning. We've barely goten any polling, and what we do have are Youngkin internals. McAuliffe hasn't released any internals, which is a sign of weakness.
swf541

« Reply #1242 on: September 16, 2021, 06:27:45 PM »

Hot take: This is a sleeper race, and Youngkin has about a 30% chance of winning. We've barely goten any polling, and what we do have are Youngkin internals. McAuliffe hasn't released any internals, which is a sign of weakness.

Well yes, this is a hot take lol
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1243 on: September 16, 2021, 06:30:04 PM »

Who's winning the debate?
Interlocutor is just not there yet
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.04

« Reply #1244 on: September 16, 2021, 06:30:24 PM »

Honest question: Why are you how you are?
SnowLabrador
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1245 on: September 16, 2021, 06:31:29 PM »

I'm simply pointing out that the fact that McAuliffe hasn't released any internals speaks volumes as to the state of this race.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #1246 on: September 16, 2021, 06:32:22 PM »

Since I wrote this 2 Youngkin ads have come on.  Both featuring Sheriffs.  It should be illegal for them to be partisan actors.  Who would think they would investigate crimes fairly.

That came on the other night and I made snorting sounds throughout the entire ad.

Virginia cops are some of the most corrupt sons of bitches (and military rejects, especially in Virginia Beach) I've ever seen.
Non Swing Voter
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1247 on: September 16, 2021, 06:34:38 PM »

I'm simply pointing out that the fact that McAuliffe hasn't released any internals speaks volumes as to the state of this race.

Dude are you seriously concerned that Youngkin could win?  Trust me, I am not one to make bold predictions and there is 0.00000000% chance Youngkin wins.  There is a 1% chance Youngkin loses by less than 5.  There is a 30% chance he loses by less than 8.  There is a 50% chance he loses by less than 10.
SnowLabrador
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1248 on: September 16, 2021, 06:35:28 PM »

Dude are you seriously concerned that Youngkin could win?  Trust me, I am not one to make bold predictions and there is 0.00000000% chance Youngkin wins.  There is a 1% chance Youngkin loses by less than 5.  There is a 30% chance he loses by less than 8.  There is a 50% chance he loses by less than 10.

Off-year elections can have unpredictable turnout dynamics.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #1249 on: September 16, 2021, 06:35:41 PM »

Youngkin supports qualified immunity. Yeah, you're going down, f#cker.
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 47 48 49 [50] 51 52 53 54 55 ... 284  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies