Virginia Mega Thread: The Youngkin Administration
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 04:14:00 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Virginia Mega Thread: The Youngkin Administration
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 279 280 281 282 283 [284]
Author Topic: Virginia Mega Thread: The Youngkin Administration  (Read 340030 times)
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7075 on: November 28, 2023, 07:10:44 PM »
« edited: November 28, 2023, 09:02:27 PM by Skill and Chance »

Democrats lost 13 seats in 2001 even as Warner won because the GOP controlled redistricting.

The same was true in 2011.

2023 is the first election since 1999 conducted on a map the GOP didn't draw.

I mean yes we can argue on multiple curves, but if the GOP had a trifecta that drew the maps odds are the GOP would have gained 5-7 with these statewide results depending on how defensive the GOP wanted to be.

For the State Senate it's:

1995 Allen (R): R+2
*R's gain a seat in a special election, control flips R*
1999 Gilmore (R): EVEN
2003 Warner (D): R+3
2007 Kaine (D): D+5 Control Flips D
*D's gain a seat in a special election*
2011 McDonnell (R): R+2 Control Flips R
*Northam (D) becomes LG in January 2014, Control Flips D*
*R's gain a seat in a special election in August 2014, Control Flips back R*
2015 McAuliffe (D): EVEN
2019 Northam (D): D+2 Control Flips D
*D's gain a seat in a special election*
2023 Youngkin (R): R+1

As you can see, there's a lot more going on here.  Other than the one term between the 2003 and 2007 elections, the 40 seat chamber has been within 22/18 either way since 1992 and there has only ever been one true wave election in that period (2007 for Dems).  Also, special elections have been hugely important for control.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #7076 on: December 01, 2023, 04:38:41 PM »
« Edited: December 01, 2023, 04:43:09 PM by brucejoel99 »

Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #7077 on: December 01, 2023, 04:44:43 PM »

Good.  The people just voted for her.  The proper time to challenge something like this is in advance of the election.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #7078 on: December 20, 2023, 12:13:04 PM »

Recount is over in VA, Pope Adams (D) lost by only 53 votes

Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7079 on: December 22, 2023, 08:35:19 PM »
« Edited: December 22, 2023, 10:53:37 PM by Frodo »

I see Gov. Glenn Youngkin is picking up where former Gov. Jim Gilmore left off.  Good timing too:

Youngkin exploring repeal of 'hated' car tax

More than 20 years after then-Gov. Jim Gilmore failed to fully repeal the so-called "car tax," another Republican governor is preparing to take a swing at the local government levy on personal vehicles that Virginians love to hate.

Gov. Glenn Youngkin confirmed on Tuesday that he is considering proposals to do away with the local tax on personal property - which he called "the most hated tax in Virginia" - by finding new sources of revenue for local governments to replace it.

“It is despised to such a universal degree that there is nothing I hear more complaints about as I travel across the commonwealth of Virginia than the car tax,” Youngkin said in an interview with the Richmond Times-Dispatch.

“Eliminating the car tax is a complicated and challenging endeavor,” the governor said. “I believe there is a path to eliminate it, but it requires full cooperation from Republicans and Democrats, executive branch and legislators, local leaders and state leaders in order to take the big step of permanently eliminating this most hated tax."

And for those without a subscription to the Richmond Times-Dispatch.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7080 on: January 10, 2024, 11:07:38 PM »

By a unanimous bipartisan vote, the House of Delegates has just elected an African American as Speaker, the first in the state's history:

Don Scott becomes first Black speaker in Virginia Legislature's 400-year history
LabourJersey
United States

« Reply #7081 on: January 11, 2024, 08:09:48 AM »

I see Gov. Glenn Youngkin is picking up where former Gov. Jim Gilmore left off.  Good timing too:

More than 20 years after then-Gov. Jim Gilmore failed to fully repeal the so-called "car tax," another Republican governor is preparing to take a swing at the local government levy on personal vehicles that Virginians love to hate.

Gov. Glenn Youngkin confirmed on Tuesday that he is considering proposals to do away with the local tax on personal property - which he called "the most hated tax in Virginia" - by finding new sources of revenue for local governments to replace it.

“It is despised to such a universal degree that there is nothing I hear more complaints about as I travel across the commonwealth of Virginia than the car tax,” Youngkin said in an interview with the Richmond Times-Dispatch.

“Eliminating the car tax is a complicated and challenging endeavor,” the governor said. “I believe there is a path to eliminate it, but it requires full cooperation from Republicans and Democrats, executive branch and legislators, local leaders and state leaders in order to take the big step of permanently eliminating this most hated tax."

The personal property tax may be hated, but where are they going to make the revenue?

Any "hated" tax exists because there isn't or wasn't a viable alternative for tax revenue.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7082 on: January 17, 2024, 10:48:06 AM »

The personal property tax may be hated, but where are they going to make the revenue?

Any "hated" tax exists because there isn't or wasn't a viable alternative for tax revenue.

It probably makes what? A few hundred million a year for the state?
Pages: 1 ... 279 280 281 282 283 [284]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies