CONGRESSIONAL RESULTS MEGA THREAD
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 29, 2024, 12:08:21 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  CONGRESSIONAL RESULTS MEGA THREAD
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 62 63 64 [65] 66 67 68 69 70 ... 89
Author Topic: CONGRESSIONAL RESULTS MEGA THREAD  (Read 69306 times)
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1600 on: November 21, 2020, 05:58:10 PM »

You absolutely love to see it.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1601 on: November 21, 2020, 09:35:48 PM »

Andy Kim has a bright future. He's no moderate Dem either, very impressive win.
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1602 on: November 21, 2020, 09:48:04 PM »
« Edited: November 21, 2020, 09:53:34 PM by Roll Roons »

I know I've mentioned this before, but it is very striking that he won by more than Gottheimer or Sherrill even though his district is Trumpier than NJ-05 or NJ-11. None of the Republican candidates in those districts were particularly strong, but it's not like Richter was markedly weaker than Pallotta or Becchi.
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1603 on: November 22, 2020, 08:50:32 PM »

Now CA-21 seems to be really done

Valadao back up to over 1,7K Votes.
Matty
boshembechle
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1604 on: November 22, 2020, 09:23:24 PM »

I am eager to see how California votes in a biden midterm. Will dems win back any of these seats they have lost so far this cycle?
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1605 on: November 22, 2020, 09:24:48 PM »

I am eager to see how California votes in a biden midterm. Will dems win back any of these seats they have lost so far this cycle?

I doubt they will in 2022, but they may in 2024.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #1606 on: November 22, 2020, 09:26:13 PM »

I doubt they will in 2022, but they may in 2024.

They’ll win back some in 2022 because of redistricting 
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #1607 on: November 22, 2020, 09:52:51 PM »

I know I've mentioned this before, but it is very striking that he won by more than Gottheimer or Sherrill even though his district is Trumpier than NJ-05 or NJ-11. None of the Republican candidates in those districts were particularly strong, but it's not like Richter was markedly weaker than Pallotta or Becchi.

Pallotta and Becchi were pretty generic Rs who lacked Richter's baggage.
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1608 on: November 22, 2020, 11:47:35 PM »

What baggage did Richter have besides the fact that he ran a weak campaign?
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #1609 on: November 22, 2020, 11:59:04 PM »

What baggage did Richter have besides the fact that he ran a weak campaign?

He was a carpetbagger and he was heavily attacked on his family business.
Pollster
YaBB God

« Reply #1610 on: November 23, 2020, 09:20:13 AM »

Andy Kim should move to PA-01.
StateBoiler
fe234
YaBB God

« Reply #1611 on: November 23, 2020, 09:23:27 AM »

Amazing to me that pelosi isn’t going to step down as speaker

I don't like Pelosi, but there is no other Democrat in the House who has the political abilities which she has, while presently being able to command a majority of the Democratic caucus.

The Republicans had this same issue with Boehner/Ryan/McCarthy. It's less to deal with "political abilities" and more to deal with "being able to command a majority of the Democratic caucus". The post-Pelosi generation of congressional Democrats I don't know who is going to be able to meld them all together, which is exactly the problem Boehner and Ryan had. Pelosi's greatest ally is just the people that don't like her can't agree on a replacement.

In any case, I imagine that this is Pelosi's last term as Speaker (whether or not Democrats lose the majority in the midterms), and that she will retire from leadership-if not from the House entirely-in 2022.

6 years late if we're being pretty honest.
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1612 on: November 23, 2020, 10:26:37 AM »

https://www.nationaljournal.com/s/711404?unlock=VVXHB670VQZFC100

National Journal put out their list of the biggest political "turkeys" of the year. They are:
1. Martha McSally, for being one of the few Republican Senate candidates to run behind Trump in a state that he only barely lost
2. Amy McGrift, for raising $88M and still losing to Cocaine Mitch by 20 points
3. Mike Bloomberg, for also proving that money can't always buy votes
4. David Richter in NJ-03, for not self-funding in a very expensive district and going on to lose by 8 points in a district that was pretty much tied at the presidential level
5. Progressive Democratic challengers (Kara Eastman in NE-02, Dana Balter in NY-24, Wendy Davis in TX-21, Mike Siegel in TX-10, and Candace Valenzuela in TX-24), all of whom lost and ran significantly behind Biden
6. GOP recruitment failures in districts that ended up being surprisingly close (CA-45, MI-11, IL-14. Even though it's not mentioned, NY-19 is arguably the most glaring example)
7. The whole polling industry for consistently overestimating Democrats at all levels
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1613 on: November 23, 2020, 10:52:14 AM »
« Edited: November 23, 2020, 02:50:50 PM by lfromnj »

Valenzuela was still a better option than the other one who was a gaffe machine and she ran about the same behind Biden compared to other Texas Rs
Also was Wendy Davis even a progressive? I mean I expected her to go full progressive for a seat in 2022 but I don't liberal a progressive campaign from her this year.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #1614 on: November 23, 2020, 10:55:05 AM »

Yeah, I don't get singling out progressives, when plenty of Democrats who wouldn't recognize as progressive also underperformed Biden by a lot. Some were even incumbents.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #1615 on: November 23, 2020, 10:58:42 AM »

National Journal put out their list of the biggest political "turkeys" of the year. They are:
1. Martha McSally, for being one of the few Republican Senate candidates to run behind Trump in a state that he only barely lost
4. David Richter in NJ-03, for not self-funding in a very expensive district and going on to lose by 8 points in a district that was pretty much tied at the presidential level
5. Progressive Democratic challengers (Kara Eastman in NE-02, Dana Balter in NY-24, Wendy Davis in TX-21, Mike Siegel in TX-10, and Candace Valenzuela in TX-24), all of whom lost and ran significantly behind Biden
6. GOP recruitment failures in districts that ended up being surprisingly close (CA-45, MI-11, IL-14. Even though it's not mentioned, NY-19 is arguably the most glaring example)
7. The whole polling industry for consistently overestimating Democrats at all levels

If I'm not mistaken, at least three of these candidates-Eastman, Balter, and Siegel-were retread candidates, having previously lost to Bacon, Katko, and McCaul in 2018. If true, it seems that all three are losing by larger margins this time than they did then. And Wendy Davis has now suffered two humiliating defeats. Her 7-pt. loss against Roy wasn't as devastating as the 21-pt. loss she had against Abbott in 2014, but that is still a decisive defeat. I'd imagine her political career might very well be over after this. Valenzuela, however, could try again in 2022-although Texas Republicans might try to shore up Van Duyne with redistricting.
StateBoiler
fe234
YaBB God

« Reply #1616 on: November 23, 2020, 11:29:38 AM »

RRHElections did their version of the same article over the weekend. They also mentioned 2, 3, and 7, but their "Turkey of the Year" went to Cal Cunningham.

https://rrhelections.com/index.php/2020/11/21/10th-annual-rrh-elections-turkey-of-the-year-awards/
VAR
VARepublican
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1617 on: November 23, 2020, 11:36:29 AM »

^
The Dan Quayle Award for Gaffe of the Year goes to Christy Smith for reminding us that while being a military pilot may be impressive to some, it cannot match the true heroism that only comes from owning law books.
ChiefFireWaterMike
LordRichard

« Reply #1618 on: November 23, 2020, 11:42:40 AM »

^
The Dan Quayle Award for Gaffe of the Year goes to Christy Smith for reminding us that while being a military pilot may be impressive to some, it cannot match the true heroism that only comes from owning law books.

To my understanding, after she said that, we got an actual increase in fundraising even though we weren't doing any new events.
VAR
VARepublican
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1619 on: November 23, 2020, 11:48:04 AM »

Carolyn Bourdeaux brags about being the only Democrat to flip a (competitive) GOP held seat.

Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1620 on: November 23, 2020, 12:19:56 PM »

If I'm not mistaken, at least three of these candidates-Eastman, Balter, and Siegel-were retread candidates, having previously lost to Bacon, Katko, and McCaul in 2018. If true, it seems that all three are losing by larger margins this time than they did then.

Yep. Should also be noted that Eastman, Balter and Siegel all beat more moderate candidates in their primaries. Given how the results ended up going, I doubt any of the moderates would have won, but the races may have been closer.
VAR
VARepublican
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1621 on: November 23, 2020, 12:27:08 PM »

Tillis got less votes than Paul Newby, the Republican candidate for NC Supreme Court Justice, but still won.
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1622 on: November 23, 2020, 12:29:06 PM »

Huh. I guess Cunningham's sexting really did make the difference. Remind me why Schumer wanted him so badly?
VAR
VARepublican
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1623 on: November 23, 2020, 12:35:07 PM »
« Edited: November 23, 2020, 12:38:31 PM by #SaveTheSenate »

McSally did slightly better in suburban AZ-06 than in 2018.

Edit: Also, Kelly did 5 points better in AZ-02 than Sinema. Both Kelly and McSally live in AZ-02.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #1624 on: November 23, 2020, 12:35:21 PM »

I don't get this Delgado could have been beaten shtick at all, but hey, what do I know.
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 62 63 64 [65] 66 67 68 69 70 ... 89  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies