CONGRESSIONAL RESULTS MEGA THREAD
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 31, 2024, 12:21:37 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  CONGRESSIONAL RESULTS MEGA THREAD
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 61 62 63 [64] 65 66 67 68 69 ... 89
Author Topic: CONGRESSIONAL RESULTS MEGA THREAD  (Read 69478 times)
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1575 on: November 20, 2020, 09:53:42 PM »

Yeah

The silver lining for them however is that the unfair maps will wipe out these guys

No, they are fair maps, CA has a commission, it may just have a slight Democratic tilt and may create maps slightly favorable to Democrats, but Republican maps won out on the commissions in WA and NJ last time, so it's not exactly unfair, both sides try to game the commissions, for instance, Democrats successfully gamed the AZ Commission last time and then Republicans gamed it this time. But I highly doubt the maps that some people are suggesting where say Long Beach gets paired with Newport Beach and/or Huntington Beach become reality.
The Commission is D biased. I only meant unfair to say Democrats would have an edge.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #1576 on: November 20, 2020, 09:53:57 PM »

More their messaging than their policies, I'd say.

Messaging is a problem, that's true. But I'm skeptical that voters are in complete agreement with the Democratic Party's policies, as they are.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1577 on: November 20, 2020, 09:54:29 PM »

Yeah

The silver lining for them however is that the unfair maps will wipe out these guys

No, they are fair maps, CA has a commission, it may just have a slight Democratic tilt and may create maps slightly favorable to Democrats, but Republican maps won out on the commissions in WA and NJ last time, so it's not exactly unfair, both sides try to game the commissions, for instance, Democrats successfully gamed the AZ Commission last time and then Republicans gamed it this time. But I highly doubt the maps that some people are suggesting where say Long Beach gets paired with Newport Beach and/or Huntington Beach become reality.

Why wouldn't Huntington and Long beach be shoved together with a D commision?

Those 2 cities almost border each other lol
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #1578 on: November 20, 2020, 09:58:51 PM »

Yeah

Because it's a clear gerrymander, from a COI perspective, Huntington fits far better with the rest of the OC Shore cities and not with Long Beach. It has a D slant, but it is not going to draw illogical pairings for the purpose of helping Democrats, that's the difference between a gerrymander and a commission map.
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1579 on: November 20, 2020, 10:50:31 PM »

Because it's a clear gerrymander, from a COI perspective, Huntington fits far better with the rest of the OC Shore cities and not with Long Beach.

I would actually disagree on that. The Santa Ana River really divides OC into two strong COIs, and Huntington really has nothing in common with Newport/Laguna/Irvine. Huntington+Long Beach isn't particularly clean, but neither is Huntington+Newport. A truly fair map is probably Huntington+Fountain Valley+Westminster+Garden Grove.
VAR
VARepublican
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1580 on: November 21, 2020, 06:56:19 AM »

What exactly is so bad about Christy Smith? Seems like a boring Generic D to me.
Frenchrepublican
Junior Chimp

P P P
« Reply #1581 on: November 21, 2020, 07:00:09 AM »

Yeah

Because it's a clear gerrymander, from a COI perspective, Huntington fits far better with the rest of the OC Shore cities and not with Long Beach. It has a D slant, but it is not going to draw illogical pairings for the purpose of helping Democrats, that's the difference between a gerrymander and a commission map.

Also nuking, like some democrats are dreaming of, every R held seats in South California (save maybe for the 50th) would likely result in a big dummymander during a Biden midterm.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1582 on: November 21, 2020, 08:00:17 AM »

Yeah

Also nuking, like some democrats are dreaming of, every R held seats in South California (save maybe for the 50th) would likely result in a big dummymander during a Biden midterm.

Unlikely, but it’s worth the (low) risk
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1583 on: November 21, 2020, 08:21:09 AM »

What exactly is so bad about Christy Smith? Seems like a boring Generic D to me.
Cringeworthy Twitter warrior and apparently a poor campaigner to boot.
Left Wing
FalterinArc
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -8.26, S: -6.09

« Reply #1584 on: November 21, 2020, 09:08:23 AM »

Her making fun of Mike Garcia’s military service might have tipped the election.
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1585 on: November 21, 2020, 09:10:41 AM »
« Edited: November 21, 2020, 09:31:08 AM by Roll Roons »

Her making fun of Mike Garcia’s military service might have tipped the election.

That may well have been equivalent of Martha Coakley's Fenway Park comment. Especially in a district with a large military/veteran presence.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #1586 on: November 21, 2020, 11:18:54 AM »

Messaging is a problem, that's true. But I'm skeptical that voters are in complete agreement with the Democratic Party's policies, as they are.

Not complete agreement, but I would say they’re definitely more in line with the Democratic platform than the Republican platform, the results of many initiatives and proposals back that up. The reason why Republicans win, despite often holding views that are extremely unpopular among Americans, is messaging.
Frenchrepublican
Junior Chimp

P P P
« Reply #1587 on: November 21, 2020, 11:23:56 AM »
« Edited: November 21, 2020, 11:27:36 AM by Frenchrepublican »

Not complete agreement, but I would say they’re definitely more in line with the Democratic platform than the Republican platform, the results of many initiatives and proposals back that up. The reason why Republicans win, despite often holding views that are extremely unpopular among Americans, is messaging.

You should not overread these results, yeah a majority of FL voters backed a minimum wage hike but a majority of IL voters rejected a progressive income tax.

Does that mean that the median voter in FL is to the left of the median voter in FL ? Obviously no

The US electorate is roughly 35% left wing ; 30% right wing and then you have around 35% of the voters who have a mix of liberal and conservative opinions.

jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #1588 on: November 21, 2020, 12:29:26 PM »

I find it very very hard to believe that there are no ballots left in this district.
Yes, but they likely won't show up until a recount is needed. You always hold some in reserve.

Blablabla democracy bad blablabla I don’t understand vote counting blablabla
We get it
Remember the bag of ballots in the Gregoire-Rossi contest?

In a real democracy ballots would be cast in person with voters showing an ID, and counted in the precinct after the polls closed.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #1589 on: November 21, 2020, 12:38:13 PM »

He misspelled "$$$$$$$"
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #1590 on: November 21, 2020, 01:03:35 PM »

Because it's a clear gerrymander, from a COI perspective, Huntington fits far better with the rest of the OC Shore cities and not with Long Beach.

I would actually disagree on that. The Santa Ana River really divides OC into two strong COIs, and Huntington really has nothing in common with Newport/Laguna/Irvine. Huntington+Long Beach isn't particularly clean, but neither is Huntington+Newport. A truly fair map is probably Huntington+Fountain Valley+Westminster+Garden Grove.
It may come down to what population is needed. The commission may want to avoid splitting cities, and prefer grouping adjacent cities to get population equality, especially now that exact population equality is not needed.

San Diego has kept up with the growth to keep its districts, so they will just shuffle a bit to maintain population equality, keeping the cross-Pendelton district.

Orange County is short, so the districts have to grow north, because they can go west, and crossing the mountains is quite unlikely particularly if you are only grabbing a 100,000 voters or two.

Long Beach and Garden Grove are in one of the two LA-Orange districts, so I can see Garden Grove moved into an Orange district (which avoids putting Huntington Beach with Long Beach). If you need population balance you play around with the smaller cities northward.

Fun Fact: In the 2018 gubernatorial election, were the most Orange County votes cast in Anaheim, Santa Ana, Irvine, or some other city?
VAR
VARepublican
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1591 on: November 21, 2020, 04:14:09 PM »

Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1592 on: November 21, 2020, 04:33:57 PM »

IA03 and NJ03 voting Trump really surprise me.
GALeftist
sansymcsansface
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -7.29, S: -9.48

P
« Reply #1593 on: November 21, 2020, 04:52:07 PM »

Wow, Golden and Kim really blew Biden out of the water in their districts in that case. Well done.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1594 on: November 21, 2020, 04:53:35 PM »

IA03 and NJ03 voting Trump really surprise me.

Burlington is basically the bellwether county right now for NJ and Ocean is blood red.
VAR
VARepublican
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1595 on: November 21, 2020, 05:03:58 PM »

lmao

Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #1596 on: November 21, 2020, 05:08:22 PM »

lmao

Florida and Texas truly have put California and New York to shame. It's embarrassing how incompetent and how slow the electoral systems in the latter two states are.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #1597 on: November 21, 2020, 05:35:37 PM »

Wow. Andy Kim. Woweee.
VAR
VARepublican
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1598 on: November 21, 2020, 05:55:53 PM »

lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1599 on: November 21, 2020, 05:57:22 PM »

The most meme part is that its the only district that wasn't really gerrymandered either lol.
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 61 62 63 [64] 65 66 67 68 69 ... 89  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies