COVID-19 Megathread 6: Return of the Omicron
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 23, 2024, 02:37:03 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  COVID-19 Megathread 6: Return of the Omicron
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 341 342 343 344 345 [346] 347 348 349 350 351 ... 456
Poll
Question: ?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 115

Author Topic: COVID-19 Megathread 6: Return of the Omicron  (Read 545983 times)
emailking
Atlas Icon
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8625 on: December 31, 2021, 03:02:50 AM »

That's hundreds of thousands cases difference by the time you reach millions. I think it's significant anyway.
No War, but the War on Christmas
iBizzBee
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8626 on: December 31, 2021, 03:03:39 AM »

Just received my Moderna booster this afternoon; gotta keep the members of my family and community who are immunocompromised safe.  Smile

The booster does nothing for community spread so if that was your reason you probably wasted your time.  Just say you got it for yourself, its okay.

My Mother is immunocompromised and my Aunt (lives with us) works in the medical field as a nurse. So I actually had multiple reasons for getting it; of course my own health was one of those as well... I'm not quite sure what snarky little point you were trying to make here, but it was a pretty weak one.

Buzz off.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8627 on: December 31, 2021, 03:06:17 AM »
« Edited: December 31, 2021, 03:11:01 AM by Green Line »

Just received my Moderna booster this afternoon; gotta keep the members of my family and community who are immunocompromised safe.  Smile

The booster does nothing for community spread so if that was your reason you probably wasted your time.  Just say you got it for yourself, its okay.

My Mother is immunocompromised and my Aunt (lives with us) works in the medical field as a nurse. So I actually had multiple reasons for getting it; of course my own health was one of those as well... I'm not quite sure what snarky little point you were trying to make here, but it was a pretty weak one.

Buzz off.

Your booster probably didn't do anything for your mother or your aunt.  You're going to get Covid anyway in the next 6 months or so.  Especially useless if your aunt is a nurse.  You don't think she's going to be exposed to it?
iBizzBee
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8628 on: December 31, 2021, 03:16:28 AM »

Buzz off.

Your booster probably didn't do anything for your mother or your aunt.  Especially if your aunt is a nurse.  You don't think she's going to be exposed to it?

So you don't think an immunocompromised person has a better shot at survival in a family group who are all completely vaccinated, boosted and take precautions, Vs. a family group who are completely unvaccinated and take no precautions? That's ridiculous.

You say it 'probably' doesn't help cause you know that some research says that it does. The science behind transmisiblity in the vaccinated Vs. non-vaccinated is in flux right now, sure, but that 'probability' as you put it is more than enough reason for me to get my booster. Even if (and I highly doubt it) the only 'societal' benefit is even just normalizing it and encouraging others to get theirs.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8629 on: December 31, 2021, 03:24:55 AM »

Buzz off.

Your booster probably didn't do anything for your mother or your aunt.  Especially if your aunt is a nurse.  You don't think she's going to be exposed to it?

So you don't think an immunocompromised person has a better shot at survival in a family group who are all completely vaccinated, boosted and take precautions, Vs. a family group who are completely unvaccinated and take no precautions? That's ridiculous.

You say it 'probably' doesn't help cause you know that some research says that it does. The science behind transmisiblity in the vaccinated Vs. non-vaccinated is in flux right now, sure, but that 'probability' as you put it is more than enough reason for me to get my booster. Even if (and I highly doubt it) the only 'societal' benefit is even just normalizing it and encouraging others to get theirs.

Ah, you revealed yourself right at the end.  Get it because you want to, and because it will "normalize" the booster - as you say.  Thats it though.  There's no research to support you.  Your immunocomprimised mom should get a booster for herself if she wants one.  You getting one is doing absolutely nothing but giving her peace of mind (thanks to the media).  Give yourself a pat on the back.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #8630 on: December 31, 2021, 03:29:22 AM »

If you count each of the 50 states of the USA with having 11,500 cases each, you get 575,000 cases.

So New South Wales has reached that level in Australia with 12,226.
iBizzBee
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8631 on: December 31, 2021, 03:43:04 AM »
« Edited: December 31, 2021, 03:55:03 AM by iBizzBee »

Buzz off.

Your booster probably didn't do anything for your mother or your aunt.  Especially if your aunt is a nurse.  You don't think she's going to be exposed to it?

Ah, you revealed yourself right at the end.  Get it because you want to, and because it will "normalize" the booster - as you say.  Thats it though.  There's no research to support you.  Your immunocomprimised mom should get a booster for herself if she wants one.  You getting one is doing absolutely nothing but giving her peace of mind (thanks to the media).  Give yourself a pat on the back.

Obviously she is vaccinated herself. And I didn't 'reveal' anything you anti-science zealot, vaccines should be normalized for the medical miracles they are and were until people like you begun to buy into and spread lies and misinformation about them in an attempt to score political points. And you (anti-vaxxers) have blood on your hands for it, and the fact that this pandemic has been allowed to go on this long -- period.

I already knew you were one of the biggest trolls on this forum, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised you're also peddling stuff like this. Smh.
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #8632 on: December 31, 2021, 05:47:05 AM »

I believe I’m just about fully recovered from covid now.
I think my symptoms were a bit worse than I was expecting given the description of what most fully vaxxed & booster people experience.

Nevertheless, I would gladly trade getting this virus every six months for the rest of my life in exchange for getting rid of all the restrictions on life that are still in place.

If you are fully vaxxed and boosted, you seriously need to stop worrying and just get the damn virus. 
Avoiding it is just not worth living the way we’ve forced ourselves to live.  And you’re probably not going to avoid it anyway.
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

« Reply #8633 on: December 31, 2021, 08:06:26 AM »

Buzz off.

Ah, you revealed yourself right at the end.  Get it because you want to, and because it will "normalize" the booster - as you say.  Thats it though.  There's no research to support you.  Your immunocomprimised mom should get a booster for herself if she wants one.  You getting one is doing absolutely nothing but giving her peace of mind (thanks to the media).  Give yourself a pat on the back.

Uh, the data we have does demonstrate that the vaccines prevent transmission of the virus. It isn’t fully updated with omicron data, but it’s unlikely that it will drop to zero even if it does drop off somewhat.

What a bizarre hill to die on.
compucomp

« Reply #8634 on: December 31, 2021, 11:59:54 AM »

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/experts-warn-omicron-blizzard-disrupt-us-next-month-2021-12-30/

"We are going to see the number of cases in this country rise so dramatically, we are going to have a hard time keeping everyday life operating," Dr. Michael Osterholm, an infectious disease expert at the University of Minnesota, told MSNBC.

"The next month is going to be a viral blizzard," he said. "All of society is going to be pressured by this."

One of the main reasons NPI's are instituted in the first place is to keep society running and people supplied with necessities. If the quarantines themselves are threatening this then there is a strong case for the quarantine period to be rolled back no matter what the science says. I am still skeptical about the CDC's stated "science" but as Fauci said, we need to get people back on the job.

Incidentally I'm going to make a big break here from r/coronavirus. They have been consistently pro-containment but now they have revealed the real reason for that, they are young people who hate working and think the pandemic is a ticket to indefinite government-paid vacation, missing the point of why "work" is a societal necessity in the first place. Note the highest upvoted posts now essentially say "WAAAA WHY DO I HAVE TO GO TO WORK?!!?!?!?!??! DAMN CAPITALISM!!!!!1111!!!"
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #8635 on: December 31, 2021, 12:20:09 PM »

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/experts-warn-omicron-blizzard-disrupt-us-next-month-2021-12-30/

"We are going to see the number of cases in this country rise so dramatically, we are going to have a hard time keeping everyday life operating," Dr. Michael Osterholm, an infectious disease expert at the University of Minnesota, told MSNBC.

"The next month is going to be a viral blizzard," he said. "All of society is going to be pressured by this."

One of the main reasons NPI's are instituted in the first place is to keep society running and people supplied with necessities. If the quarantines themselves are threatening this then there is a strong case for the quarantine period to be rolled back no matter what the science says. I am still skeptical about the CDC's stated "science" but as Fauci said, we need to get people back on the job.

Incidentally I'm going to make a big break here from r/coronavirus. They have been consistently pro-containment but now they have revealed the real reason for that, they are young people who hate working and think the pandemic is a ticket to indefinite government-paid vacation, missing the point of why "work" is a societal necessity in the first place. Note the highest upvoted posts now essentially say "WAAAA WHY DO I HAVE TO GO TO WORK?!!?!?!?!??! DAMN CAPITALISM!!!!!1111!!!"

Normal person: I dislike working and would like more days off from work so I can relax with my friends at the bar
Weirdo with 20 mental illnesses: I enjoy work, enjoy wearing masks and dislike crowded social settings
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8636 on: December 31, 2021, 12:53:26 PM »
« Edited: December 31, 2021, 12:58:29 PM by Green Line »

Buzz off.

Ah, you revealed yourself right at the end.  Get it because you want to, and because it will "normalize" the booster - as you say.  Thats it though.  There's no research to support you.  Your immunocomprimised mom should get a booster for herself if she wants one.  You getting one is doing absolutely nothing but giving her peace of mind (thanks to the media).  Give yourself a pat on the back.

Uh, the data we have does demonstrate that the vaccines prevent transmission of the virus. It isn’t fully updated with omicron data, but it’s unlikely that it will drop to zero even if it does drop off somewhat.

It clearly does not prevent transmission of the virus.  I can't believe you're willing to type that with a straight face at this point.  Here in the real world, the virus is spreading easily throughout the fully vaccinated community.  You're stuck in March 2021.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #8637 on: December 31, 2021, 01:34:43 PM »

Buzz off.

I think it's more accurate to say that the vaccine lessens transmission, not that it eliminates transmission entirely. As I've said before, the greatest advantage the vaccine confers on vaccinated individuals is that it lessens the symptoms of coronavirus, if and when they do contract it. It reduces hospitalizations and deaths. In those respects, it is a life-saving elixir.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #8638 on: December 31, 2021, 02:22:33 PM »

Buzz off.

I think it's more accurate to say that the vaccine lessens transmission, not that it eliminates transmission entirely. As I've said before, the greatest advantage the vaccine confers on vaccinated individuals is that it lessens the symptoms of coronavirus, if and when they do contract it. It reduces hospitalizations and deaths. In those respects, it is a life-saving elixir.

If the hospitals can stay open, I’m totally fine with there being no restrictions. That’s the goal of the vaccines.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8639 on: December 31, 2021, 02:26:29 PM »

Buzz off.

If the hospitals can stay open, I’m totally fine with there being no restrictions. That’s the goal of the vaccines.

Congrats!  Mission accomplished.  No hospitals in the US are remotely close to closing (well, financially they're wrecked because they were empty for much of the pandemic, but thats a different story) or being "overwhelmed", that scary and unscientific term that nurses and doctors so breathlessly throw out every day.
BG-NY
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.23, S: 0.42

« Reply #8640 on: December 31, 2021, 02:56:13 PM »

Covid is over.
cg41386
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.39, S: -7.74

« Reply #8641 on: December 31, 2021, 03:04:50 PM »

Nope, not even close.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8642 on: December 31, 2021, 03:06:26 PM »

For vaccinated Americans, COVID is over.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8643 on: December 31, 2021, 03:13:13 PM »

Unfortunately it isn't until the unvaccinated stop filling up hospitals and causing problems or deaths of people who need to go there for something else.
Woody
SirWoodbury
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 1.48, S: 1.30

« Reply #8644 on: December 31, 2021, 04:18:29 PM »

It has become increasingly apparent that Omicron is going to sort all of this out for us within the next few weeks.

Literally almost everyone is going to get the virus, except some people who were already recently infected.  Literally almost no one who is vaccinated is going to get seriously ill.

This is going to be necessarily disruptive regardless of restrictions or vaccinations because people are going to get somewhat sick and have to miss work for a few days.

But after a few weeks, we are going to realize that everyone recovered fine and can go back to normal.

Liberals don't want to get Covid and don't want to be sick, period. That isn't going to change regardless of how many times they're infected, we'll still have to pretend like we're avoiding it.  Its going to change nothing in big US cities.  I know two people this week who just had Covid and came out of quarantine and are now unwilling to go to NYE events because "its bad out there".

Nothing has fundamentally changed.  Cases will peak next month, drop substantially and everybody will be happy.  Then they'll go back up again and everyone will be sad and we'll do it all over again.  The end result will be an ever expanding health-security state with no measurable improvement in outcome.

I've seen no shortage of articles about liberals, left-leaning people, or Democrats who do everything they can to avoid the coronavirus. They get vaccinated, they get boosted, they wear masks in public, they adhere to social distancing guidelines, they sanitize, and they get tested frequently. And yet, in spite of all their efforts, they still contract the virus and are upset that they have. They wonder why they were thus afflicted, despite doing everything possible to avoid it. And even after they recover, they double down on supporting restrictions.

Well, there's not a lot of articles about liberals who follow all the guidelines and don't get COVID.

I still don't have COVID, after two years.  I follow all the guidelines, but otherwise live my life freely and happily.  I wear a mask in public places, got fully vaccinated, wash my hands like an adult, and try to avoid situations where I'm going to have a lot of unmasked people spewing particles all over me.
If you're vaccinated what's the point of you wearing the face diaper?
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8645 on: December 31, 2021, 04:53:52 PM »

Fauci predicts omicron Covid wave will peak in U.S. by end of January
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #8646 on: December 31, 2021, 04:55:36 PM »

If you're vaccinated what's the point of you wearing the face diaper?

The media still keeps pooping their pants.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8647 on: December 31, 2021, 04:57:27 PM »

Maybe even sooner to be honest. Look at South Africa.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #8648 on: December 31, 2021, 05:04:21 PM »

I sure hope it's sooner. If it peaks late January then we've got another 1-2 weeks of acceleration first.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8649 on: December 31, 2021, 05:51:34 PM »

'By the end' does imply it could be sooner. But predictions such as this also tend to err on the side of caution.
Pages: 1 ... 341 342 343 344 345 [346] 347 348 349 350 351 ... 456  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies