COVID-19 Megathread 6: Return of the Omicron
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 10:12:46 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  COVID-19 Megathread 6: Return of the Omicron
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 257 258 259 260 261 [262] 263 264 265 266 267 ... 456
Poll
Question: ?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 115

Author Topic: COVID-19 Megathread 6: Return of the Omicron  (Read 552598 times)
CEO Mindset
penttilinkolafan
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6525 on: August 27, 2021, 08:49:41 PM »

190K cases today, a record for this wave.

I'm guessing deaths will be a record too once the backlog comes through.

Everyone is just shrugging their shoulders at this point. I just got home from a trip to Virginia, and it basically looked like normal times.
yeah... everyone besides the terminally media poisoned has stopped caring and for good reason too
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6526 on: August 27, 2021, 09:09:24 PM »
« Edited: August 27, 2021, 09:32:06 PM by Roll Roons »

Everyone is just shrugging their shoulders at this point. I just got home from a trip to Virginia, and it basically looked like normal times.
yeah... everyone besides the terminally media poisoned has stopped caring and for good reason too

I wish you were right. I'm a congressional staffer and the US Capitol is still not open to visitors unless they're accompanied by a staff member.
CEO Mindset
penttilinkolafan
« Reply #6527 on: August 27, 2021, 09:31:09 PM »

dc is an entire city of the media-poisoned
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #6528 on: August 27, 2021, 09:34:49 PM »

I wish you were right. I'm a congressional staffer and the US Capitol is still not open to visitors unless they're accompanied by a staff member.

And as you're aware, Pelosi reimposed the mask mandate in the House earlier this month. More and more, it's clear that these kinds of issues will be relevant in next year's midterms.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #6529 on: August 27, 2021, 11:25:17 PM »

I can't tell if you guys are saying the numbers are so high because no one cares about it, or I shouldn't care about the high numbers because no one else does.
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #6530 on: August 28, 2021, 03:15:57 AM »

dc is an entire city of the media-poisoned

What is wrong with you?  Are you okay?  Do you need me to call someone?
Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #6531 on: August 28, 2021, 06:53:42 AM »

Report also asserts Covid was not a biological weapon and China did not have foreknowledge before the initial outbreak in Wuhan.

"Asserts" is somewhat too big word for that. It's better to just link to 2(two!)-page summary written in plain simple English. More precisely, they use words "judge" and "asses" to describe that.

https://www.dni.gov/files/ODNI/documents/assessments/Unclassified-Summary-of-Assessment-on-COVID-19-Origins.pdf

We judge the virus was not developed as a biological weapon. Most agencies also assess with low confidence that SARS-CoV-2 probably was not genetically engineered; however, two agencies believe there was not sufficient evidence to make an assessment either way. Finally, the IC assesses China’s officials did not have foreknowledge of the virus before the initial outbreak of COVID-19 emerged.
Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #6532 on: August 28, 2021, 07:04:47 AM »

New Florida data release comes out tomorrow

Hope to see Broward's positivity rates decline for a second week

Florida Data Release came out!

Great news inside, with positivity rates plummeting statewide.

Cumulative Confirmed Cases: 3,179,714

JUL 29 - 2,591,381 (+110,455 New Weekly, +4.45%) (18.9% Positivity Rate)
AUG 05 - 2,726,268 (+134,887 New Weekly, +5.21%) (19.6% Positivity Rate)
AUG 12 - 2,877,729 (+151,461 New Weekly, +5.56%) (19.8% Positivity Rate)
AUG 19 - 3,027,965 (+150,236 New Weekly, +5.22%) (20.1% Positivity Rate)
AUG 26 - 3,179,714 (+151,749 New Weekly, +5.01%) (16.8% Positivity Rate)

Cumulative Confirmed Deaths: 43,979

As for deaths, I'll just show you all the graph, and not the actual numbers, because the numbers, they just don't add up. There's a lack of data here, so older deaths are constantly being added onto the logs, and not all the newer deaths are here yet.

However, this idea that deaths peaked two weeks ago we have seen signs of in the last report as well. Very good to see!

Image Link

Wouldn't call it great tbh. What's about new deaths per age group? Is there info about nursing homes related deaths?
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6533 on: August 28, 2021, 08:56:37 AM »

pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6534 on: August 28, 2021, 11:26:59 AM »

emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #6535 on: August 28, 2021, 11:33:49 AM »

Report also asserts Covid was not a biological weapon and China did not have foreknowledge before the initial outbreak in Wuhan.

"Asserts" is somewhat too big word for that. It's better to just link to 2(two!)-page summary written in plain simple English. More precisely, they use words "judge" and "asses" to describe that.

https://www.dni.gov/files/ODNI/documents/assessments/Unclassified-Summary-of-Assessment-on-COVID-19-Origins.pdf

We judge the virus was not developed as a biological weapon. Most agencies also assess with low confidence that SARS-CoV-2 probably was not genetically engineered; however, two agencies believe there was not sufficient evidence to make an assessment either way. Finally, the IC assesses China’s officials did not have foreknowledge of the virus before the initial outbreak of COVID-19 emerged.

There's nothing wrong with what I said VRB. It does assert that per your quote. I didn't have that link I had that story and something on Fox News. You can link whatever you want of course.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6536 on: August 28, 2021, 04:28:10 PM »

People have to pay for this animal de-worming BS, and yet the vaccine is free.
A de-wormer specifically made for pigs or horses, versus a vaccine made for human beings.
I don't get it. It's maddening.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #6537 on: August 28, 2021, 05:36:14 PM »

A de-wormer specifically made for pigs or horses, versus a vaccine made for human beings.

It's all about spite. There is never too much money that can be spent on trolling and triggering the people that are disliked in solid Republican states like Tennessee. Watch it become a status thing: "Yee-haw! I'm drinking Ivermectin out of my gold-plated 'liberal tears' coffee mug!"
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #6538 on: August 28, 2021, 06:03:56 PM »
« Edited: August 29, 2021, 05:03:26 AM by Meclazine »

The Delta variant is ripping through western Sydney's ethnic communities and starting up in Melbourne. Once in a household, it infects everyone who is unvaccinated.

When Dec 2021-Jan 2022 comes around in the US, watch out:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/health/2021-08-28/nsw-covid-number-high-lockdowns-victoria-cases/100409856

The old COVID had a previous R factor of 1.3, things were manageable for COVID-19.

But the Delta variant has an estimated R factor of between 5-9. This will be near-impossible to stop in the winter months in the US in Dec/Jan.

It is estimated that in the next 10 years, based on those numbers, every person in the western world will get COVID-19 three times.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6539 on: August 28, 2021, 06:21:46 PM »

The Delta variant is ripping through western Sydney's ethnic communities and starting up in Melbourne. Once in a household, it infects everyone who is unvaccinated.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/health/2021-08-28/nsw-covid-number-high-lockdowns-victoria-cases/100409856

This a previous R factor of 1.3, things were manageable for COVID-19.

But the Delta variant has an estimated R factor of between 5-9. This will be near-impossible to stop in the winter months in the US in Dec/Jan.

It is estimated that in the next 10 years, based on those numbers, every person in the western world will get COVID-19 three times.

What would happen if COVID became as deadly for people under 60 as much as it was for the those over 70?
_.
Abdullah
United States
P P P
« Reply #6540 on: August 28, 2021, 11:18:22 PM »

We can only hope that in three months time, when the Northeastern and Midwestern states go indoors, vaccination rates are high enough there for them to be doing alright. People seem to have forgotten how horrible last winter was in terms of cases and deaths. That was definitely the peak of the pandemic in the U.S., not this Delta wave or the original NYC surge.

Back in those months, the state of California was, per capita, getting more cases each day than even Mississippi or Louisiana are right now! And deaths from this wave have been nowhere near as bad as they were that wave. This only can speak to the effectiveness of the vaccine and the large proportion of seniors which have taken the precaution to receive it.

Unfortunately, there are certain Northern states which aren't doing so hot in terms of vaccination rates, such as Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, the Dakotas, Ohio, Indiana, and Illinois.

Personally, I'm watching for a spike in those regions starting Fall at a similar level as is being seen in the Deep South right now (like what happened last year). Fingers crossed that it doesn't happen, but it doesn't seem likely at this time.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #6541 on: August 28, 2021, 11:23:21 PM »

We can only hope that in three months time, when the Northeastern and Midwestern states go indoors, vaccination rates are high enough there for them to be doing alright. People seem to have forgotten how horrible last winter was in terms of cases and deaths. That was definitely the peak of the pandemic in the U.S., not this Delta wave or the original NYC surge.

Back in those months, the state of California was, per capita, getting more cases each day than even Mississippi or Louisiana are right now! And deaths from this wave have been nowhere near as bad as they were that wave. This only can speak to the effectiveness of the vaccine and the large proportion of seniors which have taken the precaution to receive it.

Unfortunately, there are certain Northern states which aren't doing so hot in terms of vaccination rates, such as Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, the Dakotas, Ohio, Indiana, and Illinois.

Personally, I'm watching for a spike in those regions starting Fall at a similar level as is being seen in the Deep South right now (like what happened last year). Fingers crossed that it doesn't happen, but it doesn't seem likely at this time.

But even with the vaccines, we're doing twice as bad as last summer on cases, and about on par with deaths. This suggests it may be possible that this winter is even worse than last winter.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #6542 on: August 28, 2021, 11:43:59 PM »

Hmm? Your graphs show both are true. Cases are about double last summer. Deaths are about the same.
_.
Abdullah
United States
P P P
« Reply #6543 on: August 28, 2021, 11:45:48 PM »

Hmm? Your graphs show both are true. Cases are about double last summer. Deaths are about the same.

Ah, I stand corrected.

I misread your earlier statement, and thought you were referring to last winter.

Your point stands completely.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #6544 on: August 28, 2021, 11:46:13 PM »

Oh gotcha. No worries.
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6545 on: August 29, 2021, 12:12:44 AM »
« Edited: August 29, 2021, 12:16:36 AM by Antifacist Ghost of Ruin »

Everyone is getting vaccinated. Not getting vaccinated, and taking (or claiming to be taking) some non-standard treatment is a shibboleth. It also serves as a test of faith - "are you a real Republican, or are you a RINO?" As with many right-wing stupidities, It also serves as a demonstration of power, "See, you can't make us take your vaccine! We don't even need it!" And it serves as reinforcement; once you've committed yourself to rejecting vaccines and chugging livestock drugs, accepting that you were wrong means admitting that you were dangerously, abysmally stupid, which is a hard thing to do. There's also an element of patent-medicine con artistry: there's an element of 'truthiness' (it is a medical dug), it's unlikely to have immediate deleterious effects, and COVID isn't so deadly that no one recovers, all of which let it play on a multitude of cognitive biases and errors that human beings are prone to.

In short, it's because the Republican Party is a cult.

Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6546 on: August 29, 2021, 12:17:48 AM »

What would happen if COVID became as deadly for people under 60 as much as it was for the those over 70?

Republicans would end up losing a lot more elections.
GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6547 on: August 29, 2021, 01:46:24 AM »

Texas Anti-Mask 'Freedom Defender' Caleb Wallace Dies Of COVID-19

The death of the 30-year-old father of three young daughters was first reported by his pregnant wife, Jessica Wallace, on a GoFundMe page she had set up for donations to help with medical and household bills.

Imagine leaving your daughters fatherless because you wanted to be a jackass.

Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #6548 on: August 29, 2021, 06:32:11 AM »

Unfortunately I’m not so sure that they would.
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6549 on: August 29, 2021, 07:44:56 AM »

Unfortunately I’m not so sure that they would.

https://www.vox.com/22587443/covid-19-vaccine-refusal-hesitancy-variant-delta-cases-rate
Pages: 1 ... 257 258 259 260 261 [262] 263 264 265 266 267 ... 456  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies