COVID-19 Megathread 6: Return of the Omicron
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 23, 2024, 04:07:12 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  COVID-19 Megathread 6: Return of the Omicron
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 289 290 291 292 293 [294] 295 296 297 298 299 ... 456
Poll
Question: ?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 115

Author Topic: COVID-19 Megathread 6: Return of the Omicron  (Read 546047 times)
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7325 on: October 25, 2021, 03:39:04 PM »

If a person is vaccinated in a different county from where they live, which county is it counted under?

I would assume the one where they were vaccinated, but that's an interesting question.

All COVID statistics - new infections, deaths, vaccinations, etc. are reported based on the record's permanent address.  This is consistent across states and Federal reporting to omit any possible double-counting.  The conspiracy theory that Florida was systematically undercounting COVID infections/deaths originated from the observation that the state was (correctly) not counting snowbirds and non-residents in their totals. 

If people leave their havens of vaccination and public health safety, and venture to Florida, get COVID in Florida, and then return home, why shouldn't that count as a COVID case for Florida?  You could literally have a lockdown bubble with extremely stringent public health measure, but if your residents can still go down to Florida and get infected, then your state will still have higher COVID numbers than it deserves solely due to Florida's insanity.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #7326 on: October 25, 2021, 04:17:59 PM »

If a person is vaccinated in a different county from where they live, which county is it counted under?

I would assume the one where they were vaccinated, but that's an interesting question.

All COVID statistics - new infections, deaths, vaccinations, etc. are reported based on the record's permanent address.  This is consistent across states and Federal reporting to omit any possible double-counting.  The conspiracy theory that Florida was systematically undercounting COVID infections/deaths originated from the observation that the state was (correctly) not counting snowbirds and non-residents in their totals. 

If people leave their havens of vaccination and public health safety, and venture to Florida, get COVID in Florida, and then return home, why shouldn't that count as a COVID case for Florida?  You could literally have a lockdown bubble with extremely stringent public health measure, but if your residents can still go down to Florida and get infected, then your state will still have higher COVID numbers than it deserves solely due to Florida's insanity.

First of all, if you can leave your "haven of vaccination and public health safety" and travel to Florida then are you really living in the miserable-sounding "lockdown bubble" you suggest?  Your idea of what makes an effective lockdown seems to be colored by nothing more than sheer masochism, lol

Secondly, you don't count non-resident statistics because it is very difficult to do as a matter of practicality.  Americans do not have to register or report when they travel out-of-state.  Public health bureaus are rightfully more interested in the demographic characteristics of who's getting vaccinated (i.e., where they live) rather than what state they are lining-up in to get the jab.  Those are two good reasons before we even get into the data integrity issues surrounding possible double-counting   
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #7327 on: October 26, 2021, 03:30:47 PM »

FDA vaccine advisers vote to recommend Pfizer's Covid-19 vaccine for children 5 to 11

Vaccine advisers to the US Food and Drug Administration voted 17-0 with one abstention Tuesday to recommend Pfizer's Covid-19 vaccine in children 5 to 11.

Members of the FDA's Vaccines and Related Biological Products Advisory Committee agreed that the benefits of vaccinating younger children appeared to outweigh the risks, but some members appeared troubled about voting to vaccinate a large population of younger children based on studies of a few thousand.

"It is reassuring to me that we are giving a lower dose," said Dr. Paul Offit, a vaccine expert at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. Pfizer has cut its vaccine to one-third of the adult dose for the children under 12.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/10/26/health/covid-19-young-kids-vaccine-fda-discussion/index.html
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #7328 on: October 26, 2021, 03:49:55 PM »

Louisiana just ended its mask mandate.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #7329 on: October 26, 2021, 04:16:28 PM »

Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #7330 on: October 26, 2021, 07:43:45 PM »

Here's an updated map of counties that have fully vaccinated 70% of the eligible (12+) population. Counties in white don't have data, or don't release relevant data. (VT publishes only 1st dose data by county. ID only releases data for all citizens and all adults, but not 12+. Blaine County, ID is at 70+% for all citizens, so it can be assumed they have hit 70% of all eligible.)

And the same map for Puerto Rico by municipalities:

It's really interesting seeing the places where wealthy suburbs score higher than neighboring cities, for example in DFW, Houston metro, Jacksonville metro, Detroit metro, Washington, D.C. metro, Kansas City metro, Milwaukee metro, Chicago metro, Philadelphia metro etc. etc. etc.

I've been wondering if the vaccination map might be a good indicator of the trend map in 2024, with more vaccinated places of all dispositions trending D and less vaccinated places of all dispositions trending R.
_.
Abdullah
United States
P P P
« Reply #7331 on: October 26, 2021, 07:59:15 PM »

Here's an updated map of counties that have fully vaccinated 70% of the eligible (12+) population. Counties in white don't have data, or don't release relevant data. (VT publishes only 1st dose data by county. ID only releases data for all citizens and all adults, but not 12+. Blaine County, ID is at 70+% for all citizens, so it can be assumed they have hit 70% of all eligible.)

It's really interesting seeing the places where wealthy suburbs score higher than neighboring cities, for example in DFW, Houston metro, Jacksonville metro, Detroit metro, Washington, D.C. metro, Kansas City metro, Milwaukee metro, Chicago metro, Philadelphia metro etc. etc. etc.

I've been wondering if the vaccination map might be a good indicator of the trend map in 2024, with more vaccinated places of all dispositions trending D and less vaccinated places of all dispositions trending R.

Every Republican who's big on Hispanic trends would have their head explode
Darthpi – Anti-Florida Activist
darthpi
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -6.87

P P P
« Reply #7332 on: October 26, 2021, 08:36:26 PM »

This is definitely going to be something worth watching, especially if the vaccine issue is still prominent in the news and the public consciousness at that point.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7333 on: October 27, 2021, 07:52:54 AM »

emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #7334 on: October 27, 2021, 08:21:55 AM »

Most charitable interpretation, he think only people really old or really sick are taking the vaccine voluntarily.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7335 on: October 27, 2021, 10:45:44 AM »

Most charitable interpretation, he think only people really old or really sick are taking the vaccine voluntarily.

I look at the maps and see Puerto Rico as a heavily-inoculated place. That is as Hispanic a community as there is. Counties along the Rio Grande Valley of Texas are heavily inoculated. It is a good idea to learn Spanish if you want to get along in those counties. Likewise Bexar, which contains San Antonio.

I also notice some counties in Arizona, New Mexico, Montana, North Dakota, and South Dakota which have Reservations. What are the First Peoples of the USA doing so right about inoculation, and why?   
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7336 on: October 27, 2021, 12:01:54 PM »

In general, why is it that black people seem to have lower vaccination rates than Hispanics/Natives? It’s something that sticks out on that map.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7337 on: October 27, 2021, 01:14:58 PM »
« Edited: October 27, 2021, 01:23:05 PM by Horus »

In general, why is it that black people seem to have lower vaccination rates than Hispanics/Natives? It’s something that sticks out on that map.

Historical distrust of medicine due to Tuskegee experiments etc, the NoI has been on an anti vax kick for a year now, very poor marketing of the vaccine (though that applies to everyone.)

However, when education is controlled for, rates are comparable if not sightly better than white Americans. See PG county in green on the map, if GA reported like a normal state I'd bet DeKalb would be green as well.
roxas11
United States

« Reply #7338 on: October 27, 2021, 03:34:21 PM »

Well as a black person I would say that religion seems to be playing a big role

At least it is when it comes to my family because I have lost count of how many times that I have heard somebody tell me that they think the vaccines are the mark of the beast from the book of revelations because of what some fool on Facebook told them

Unfortunately, social media has actually convinced a lot of them that Covid is a sign of the end times
Asta

« Reply #7339 on: October 27, 2021, 04:50:24 PM »

At least it is when it comes to my family because I have lost count of how many times that I have heard somebody tell me that they think the vaccines are the mark of the beast from the book of revelations because of what some fool on Facebook told them

Unfortunately, social media has actually convinced a lot of them that Covid is a sign of the end times

I'm Korean-American and 60-65% of us, including myself are Christians, nearly all of which are evangelicals. Koreans are among the most religious people there are. Nearly every Korean-owned small businesses have crucifixes, church cassette tapes, or their church calendars.

Yet it's very, very hard to meet a Korean in NY/NJ metro that has not gotten vaccinated yet. Most of them got vaccinated during first few weeks it was available to them.

It's entirely consistent with polls and research showing that Asians are the most likely to be vaccinated.

https://talkelections.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=464953.0

Secondly, blacks are just as likely to get vaccinated once education has been controlled for. I also used to think that religiosity is the primary driver in vaccine skepticism, but I'm not sure that it is anymore.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7340 on: October 27, 2021, 05:39:23 PM »

Secondly, blacks are just as likely to get vaccinated once education has been controlled for. I also used to think that religiosity is the primary driver in vaccine skepticism, but I'm not sure that it is anymore.

I have to agree here--I feel like quite a few people who are citing religion as their reason for not getting vaccinated are falling back on that as an excuse, rather than genuinely believing it conflicts with their religious beliefs.
roxas11
United States

« Reply #7341 on: October 27, 2021, 06:37:35 PM »

I'm Korean-American and 60-65% of us, including myself are Christians, nearly all of which are evangelicals. Koreans are among the most religious people there are. Nearly every Korean-owned small businesses have crucifixes, church cassette tapes, or their church calendars.

Yet it's very, very hard to meet a Korean in NY/NJ metro that has not gotten vaccinated yet. Most of them got vaccinated during first few weeks it was available to them.

It's entirely consistent with polls and research showing that Asians are the most likely to be vaccinated.

https://talkelections.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=464953.0

I agree that religion is not the only factor at play here.

I have said many times in the past I think facebook and social media is the main driver of vaccine skepticism in this country and around the world.

people like this guy are very good at using religion in order to push their anti vaccine message on Facebook and other social media platforms

Unfortunately, his message resonates with a lot of people down here in Louisiana, especially in communities of color
Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #7342 on: October 28, 2021, 06:44:37 AM »

Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7343 on: October 28, 2021, 06:46:44 AM »
« Edited: October 28, 2021, 06:50:53 AM by Pericles »

I wonder if they had other measures like a vaccine requirement to get in.
roxas11
United States

« Reply #7344 on: October 28, 2021, 07:11:36 AM »

I don't think this is even a big deal at this point since Covid Cases have massively declined across the country and even my home state of Louisiana just recently lifted all of our Mask Mandates

Also, it would not surprise me at all if the event most likely had some vaccine requirements in order to get in

Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #7345 on: October 28, 2021, 07:48:39 AM »

I was speaking with a Doctor today and the discussion was about banning Facebook due to this exact issue.

He was quite disappointed with the new age social media branch of medicine which essentially ends in pain and suffering for vulnerable members of society.

And then one of my friends was on Facebook saying the vaccine was not a real vaccine.

The question is whether Facebook should be banned from disseminating medical advice based on a basic assumption of dishonesty within the human condition.

Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7346 on: October 28, 2021, 09:35:09 AM »

Ugh.

Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #7347 on: October 28, 2021, 09:38:07 AM »

According to that map, Kentucky is one of the best states right now.

But, considering the drop in the Bay Area, there's no way California is one of the worst.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #7348 on: October 28, 2021, 10:46:20 AM »

Just saw this exchange in a chat:

Person 1 (who got a Pfizer booster yesterday after initial J&J shot months ago): Napped for 3 hours, had a dull headache and body aches until evening then it tapered off.  My arm was sore enough I couldn't raise it to shoulder level without wincing.

Person 2: Sounds like Pfizers were set to stun.

(That might be an old joke by now, but it's the first time I've seen it.)
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7349 on: October 28, 2021, 11:25:42 AM »

Ugh.

SO GLAD TO BE OUT OF COLORADO!

But of course Atlas lolbertarians and Polis simps will still worship the madman.
Pages: 1 ... 289 290 291 292 293 [294] 295 296 297 298 299 ... 456  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies