COVID-19 Megathread 6: Return of the Omicron
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 25, 2024, 09:55:26 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  COVID-19 Megathread 6: Return of the Omicron
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 292 293 294 295 296 [297] 298 299 300 301 302 ... 456
Poll
Question: ?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 115

Author Topic: COVID-19 Megathread 6: Return of the Omicron  (Read 547882 times)
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7400 on: November 05, 2021, 12:24:13 PM »

Wow, and anti-virals have been really disappointing compared to their perceived potential generally, so a very effective anti-viral is really a huge surprise (much more so than a successful vaccine).
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7401 on: November 05, 2021, 01:45:49 PM »

Interesting. Aaron Rodgers confirms that he is unvaccinated, and has now tested positive for Covid. I guess he is experiencing mild symptoms.

He will miss Sunday's road game against the Kansas City Chiefs due to Covid-19 NFL protocols.

https://edition.cnn.com/2021/11/05/sport/aaron-rodgers-packers/index.html
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

« Reply #7402 on: November 05, 2021, 04:20:58 PM »

D-bag. Go Bears.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7403 on: November 05, 2021, 06:09:20 PM »

This is what 'America First' really means:

Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #7404 on: November 05, 2021, 07:18:45 PM »

This is what 'America First' really means:

What does it mean beyond the clickbait title?
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #7405 on: November 05, 2021, 08:05:25 PM »

Anyone have a read on how the antivaxxers are reacting to the Pfizer pill news?
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7406 on: November 05, 2021, 10:50:21 PM »

Anyone have a read on how the antivaxxers are reacting to the Pfizer pill news?

As best I can see, a lot of them are cheering it on and arguing that this proves the vaccines were never needed. They're weirdos.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #7407 on: November 06, 2021, 03:37:21 PM »

Federal appeals court issues stay of Biden administration's vaccine mandate for private companies

A federal appeals court temporarily blocked the Biden administration's new vaccine rules that could apply to larger employers, certain health care workers and federal contractors.

A three-judge panel on the Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals in New Orleans on Saturday said in its order that the potential mandate is "stayed," citing "grave statuatory and constitutional issues," with the potential rules.

The Biden administration had announced earlier this week that its vaccine rules applying to private businesses with 100 or more employees, certain health care workers and federal contractors will take effect January 4.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/11/06/politics/court-blocks-biden-administration-vaccine-rule-larger-employers/index.html

I know there's another thread, but I think it should still be captured here.
Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #7408 on: November 08, 2021, 10:05:34 AM »

Also, given what is happening in Europe now, I think, that another mini-wave is coming to US soon.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #7409 on: November 09, 2021, 03:07:56 PM »

Pfizer and BioNTech seek FDA authorization for Covid-19 vaccine booster for all adults

Pfizer and BioNTech said on Tuesday they're seeking emergency use authorization from the US Food and Drug Administration for a Covid-19 vaccine booster for all individuals age 18 and older. The companies are seeking an amendment to the existing EUA for booster doses for some adults.

The companies said the submission is based on results of a Phase 3 trial involving more than 10,000 participants; it found boosters were safe and had an efficacy of 95% against symptomatic Covid-19 compared with the two-dose vaccine schedule in the period when the highly transmissible Delta was the dominant strain. Pfizer released the booster efficacy data last month; it has not yet been peer-reviewed or published.

Authorization would bring the country one step closer to President Joe Biden's mid-August prediction that boosters would be available for all adults in the United States. When Pfizer initially sought the FDA's OK for booster doses, it applied for full approval of boosters for everyone age 16 and older. Instead, the FDA authorized boosters for a more limited group of adults once they were far enough past their initial vaccine doses.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/11/09/health/pfizer-covid-vaccine-fda-booster-authorization-adults/index.html
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #7410 on: November 09, 2021, 03:18:18 PM »

COVID-19 hospitalizations rising in parts of California, a potentially ominous sign

https://www.msn.com/en-us/weather/topstories/covid-19-hospitalizations-rising-in-parts-of-california-a-potentially-ominous-sign/ar-AAQuNrG

Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7411 on: November 09, 2021, 05:37:00 PM »

Article clearly states that rates are flat in heavily vaccinated areas. More COVID scaremongering from the sensationalist msm.
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #7412 on: November 09, 2021, 05:39:05 PM »

Article clearly states that rates are flat in heavily vaccinated areas. More COVID scaremongering from the sensationalist msm.

I fully expect near-permanent mask and distancing requirements in the more liberal parts of the country.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7413 on: November 09, 2021, 05:41:09 PM »

I fully expect near-permanent mask and distancing requirements in the more liberal parts of the country.

Idk, Mayor Bottoms just removed the Atlanta mask mandate yesterday. I don't live in ATL but work and play there and had no idea there was even a mandate.

But in elitist lib strongholds like Berkeley and Boston you're probably right.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7414 on: November 09, 2021, 05:45:22 PM »

Also, given what is happening in Europe now, I think, that another mini-wave is coming to US soon.

Luckily those heavily hit areas are sparsely populated and relatively well vaccinated.
compucomp

« Reply #7415 on: November 09, 2021, 06:45:24 PM »

It was a disaster to merge masking and social distancing in public health messaging. The public health agencies were well meaning, but the effect was that the hate for social distancing measures, which is justifiable given its damage to the economy and human social interaction, was transferred over to masking, which has almost zero cost in any sense.

Honestly society would hardly be changed from 2019 if we had perpetual indoor mask mandates and no other mitigation measure but you wouldn't know it from the people frothing at the mouth with irrational hate about masks.
Holy Unifying Centrist
DTC
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 9.53, S: 10.54

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7416 on: November 09, 2021, 06:52:30 PM »

It was a disaster to merge masking and social distancing in public health messaging. The public health agencies were well meaning, but the effect was that the hate for social distancing measures, which is justifiable given its damage to the economy and human social interaction, was transferred over to masking, which has almost zero cost in any sense.

Honestly society would hardly be changed from 2019 if we had perpetual indoor mask mandates and no other mitigation measure but you wouldn't know it from the people frothing at the mouth with irrational hate about masks.

I do not like masks. I ascertain a lot of information from looking at people's faces. A mask is a barrier to socialization. I find people who wear masks less trustworthy because I don't see their full facial expressions.

Given how basically irrelevant this virus is to the vast majority of people who are vaccinated, I see zero need for any mask mandates.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7417 on: November 09, 2021, 07:06:06 PM »

I do not like masks. I ascertain a lot of information from looking at people's faces. A mask is a barrier to socialization. I find people who wear masks less trustworthy because I don't see their full facial expressions.

Given how basically irrelevant this virus is to the vast majority of people who are vaccinated, I see zero need for any mask mandates.
Mask mandates AND social distancing measures should be based on hospitalization data and should be updated monthly. That gives an incentive for the population to get vaccinated so rates are lower and to not be stupid.

And to be honest, I am okay you find people with masks less trustworthy, that’s your view of people like me who make a personal choice and that’s your right and you have your silly logic for it. Just know you don’t want to know what I think of people like you who make such judgements…because yikes.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #7418 on: November 09, 2021, 07:15:37 PM »

As I've said before, some people will wear masks in public permanently, and in some jurisdictions and contexts, mask mandates will be permanent.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7419 on: November 09, 2021, 07:27:46 PM »

As I've said before, some people will wear masks in public permanently, and in some jurisdictions and contexts, mask mandates will be permanent.
Mandates shouldn’t be permanent. I would argue they are unnecessary in most of the US given our current numbers. If things change, my stance would change but for now I think it should be a personal and business decision.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7420 on: November 09, 2021, 10:50:28 PM »

Luckily those heavily hit areas are sparsely populated and relatively well vaccinated.

Well, the sparsely populated areas are not well vaccinated hence the surges of Montana, Idaho and Wyoming up the death boards.  More densely populated states with an increase in cases  have had increased deaths too (mainly in their sparsely populated unvaxxed areas) but not as a dramatic increase in deaths because populated areas are better vaxxed.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7421 on: November 09, 2021, 10:52:41 PM »

One of the 41 cops in San Francisco that was put on leave for not getting vaccinated has died, of course from COVID.

https://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local/san-francisco-police-officer-dies-of-covid-19-sources/2724167/

Remember, the #1 killer of cops is COVID.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #7422 on: November 09, 2021, 10:54:45 PM »

The rate of increase in cases last fall and winter peaked right about this time last year, incidentally. Right now, we're not nearly as bad as we were a year ago.

Also, I'm pretty adamant about the idea that Alabama and Louisiana have very strong herd immunity right now, but I think places like the Bay Area or parts of the New York area probably do too.
Bootes Void
iamaganster123
Junior Chimp
Canada

« Reply #7423 on: November 09, 2021, 11:50:16 PM »

Permanent? I can see it stay on for a couple more months max before people just start ignoring it
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #7424 on: November 09, 2021, 11:53:21 PM »

The rate of increase in cases last fall and winter peaked right about this time last year, incidentally. Right now, we're not nearly as bad as we were a year ago.

The peak was in January.
Pages: 1 ... 292 293 294 295 296 [297] 298 299 300 301 302 ... 456  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies