The “Who is running in 2024?” tea leaves thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 02:56:18 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  2024 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, GeorgiaModerate, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  The “Who is running in 2024?” tea leaves thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 71 72 73 74 75 [76] 77 78 79 80 81 ... 85
Author Topic: The “Who is running in 2024?” tea leaves thread  (Read 167975 times)
JMT

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1875 on: May 14, 2023, 07:42:45 PM »

Biden 2024
wolfentoad66
Norfolk Island

« Reply #1876 on: May 15, 2023, 02:19:16 PM »

Has about as good a chance as DeSantis.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1877 on: May 15, 2023, 06:43:44 PM »

At least Beto was largely on the heels of rousing, if hapless Senate campaign.
Benjamin Frank
Frank
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1878 on: May 17, 2023, 05:54:27 PM »

Ron Gunzberger at www.politics1.com has elevated, on the Democratic side, Robert Kennedy Jr and Marianne Williamson to the same rank as President Biden with a picture and a description. However, there seems to be possibly a bit of editorial judgement:

Attorney/Anti-Vaccine Activist Robert Kennedy Jr. (California)
New Age Author Marianne Williamson (California)

On the Republican side, Will Hurd and Rick Perry have been added, but not, so far, Brian Kemp who seems to have opened the possibility of running.

https://www.politics1.com/p2024.htm
JMT

« Reply #1879 on: May 18, 2023, 06:02:06 AM »

Not Me, Us
KhanOfKhans
United States

« Reply #1880 on: May 18, 2023, 07:03:07 AM »

What a strange thing for him to do.
Neo-Malthusian Misanthrope
Seef
Canada

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: 1.57

P
« Reply #1881 on: May 18, 2023, 10:25:55 AM »

At least Beto was largely on the heels of rousing, if hapless Senate campaign.

Hurd should primary Ted Cruz, that would be fun

NYDem
United States Minor Outlying Islands

« Reply #1882 on: May 18, 2023, 12:03:53 PM »

Burgum would be an interesting candidate, but he’s going to be completely drowned out by the big names. I could see him throwing his hat in again in 2028 or 2032 if he doesn’t get much traction this time.
Benjamin Frank
Frank
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1883 on: May 18, 2023, 04:17:27 PM »

Will Hurd could be an interesting candidate in that he genuinely believes 'facts matter' but I agree he'd be a better opponent to Ted Cruz. I can't believe Ted Cruz hasn't gotten significant primary competition. I thought that even Republicans hated him.
rhg2052

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -6.78

« Reply #1884 on: May 18, 2023, 05:44:52 PM »

Genuinely what do most of these GOP candidates think they're going to achieve here? It's not like it's truly an open field, and most of them are going to have to thread the impossible needle of praising (or at least avoiding criticizing) Trump to placate the base while also actively running against him. Are they just hoping he'll get convicted and convinced to drop out from prison? Are these fundraising scams? What's happening here?
AltWorlder

Political Matrix
E: -3.35, S: 3.83

« Reply #1885 on: May 18, 2023, 06:03:22 PM »

Always have been.
AltWorlder

Political Matrix

« Reply #1886 on: May 18, 2023, 06:04:33 PM »

2016 and 2020 was real clown cars for the GOP and Democratic primaries, respectively, but I'm pretty sure 2004, 2008, 2012 all had large rosters. I'm pretty sure that's just how every election is going to be from now on. It's just too lucrative to not run, whether for book sales or for future political capital.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1887 on: May 19, 2023, 12:53:29 PM »

Scott filed.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #1888 on: May 19, 2023, 04:52:51 PM »

ALREADY IN:

Trump
Ramaswamy
Haley
Hutchinson
Scott
Elder

NOT IN YET, BUT DEFINITELY IN:

Pence
DeSantis
Christie

MAYBE:
Sununu
Bolton
Suarez
Burgum
Youngkin

Youngkin returns to the list. Bugrum remains at Maybe but could move up soon, ditto Suarez and Sununu. List will look quite different next week if Pence, Christie, and DeSantis all join as expected.

I know some people run just to boost publicity, but Youngkin seeming to be dipping his toes at getting back in after already saying he was out for good is wild to me.

Also who is Bugrum for? Who looks at a field like this and goes "You know what we're missing? The Governor of North Dakota." The more of these clowns run, the more Trump's just gonna say "There's no point for me to be on a stage with all these has-beens and never-weres" and just skip the debates.
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #1889 on: May 20, 2023, 02:43:34 PM »

I like Sununu’s name cause it looks like a u did a cartwheel
Pheurton Skeurto
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #1890 on: May 22, 2023, 12:18:47 PM »

Wasn't sure this merited its own thread, but if we're going to have to endure an entire primary of liberals and "moderates" lauding how nice Tim Scott, Nikki Haley, Asa Hutchinson, Chris Sununu, and so forth are compared to Trump...just kill me now. Tim Scott couldn't name a single policy that he differs from Donald Trump on, and perhaps the only thing that makes him different from any standard Trump Republican is that he has talked about his issues being racially profiled by police (despite supporting legislation to racially profile suspected illegal immigrants...) which is something that Republicans do not believe is possible. He is DOA, sure, but Democrats are going to unwittingly usher in a new era of Republican extremism that is just nicer on its face, not any less extreme in practice. It's sickening. "Republicans, before Trump" were not good. You know who the pre-Trump Republicans were? War criminals, corporate shills, and homophobes. That is not better than Trump. It is just a different kind of bad.

AltWorlder

Political Matrix

« Reply #1891 on: May 22, 2023, 09:21:46 PM »

Clown this car up

Benjamin Frank
Frank
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1892 on: May 22, 2023, 11:34:49 PM »

Wasn't sure this merited its own thread, but if we're going to have to endure an entire primary of liberals and "moderates" lauding how nice Tim Scott, Nikki Haley, Asa Hutchinson, Chris Sununu, and so forth are compared to Trump...just kill me now. Tim Scott couldn't name a single policy that he differs from Donald Trump on, and perhaps the only thing that makes him different from any standard Trump Republican is that he has talked about his issues being racially profiled by police (despite supporting legislation to racially profile suspected illegal immigrants...) which is something that Republicans do not believe is possible. He is DOA, sure, but Democrats are going to unwittingly usher in a new era of Republican extremism that is just nicer on its face, not any less extreme in practice. It's sickening. "Republicans, before Trump" were not good. You know who the pre-Trump Republicans were? War criminals, corporate shills, and homophobes. That is not better than Trump. It is just a different kind of bad.

The only Republican considering running who would not be either Trump or Trumpian is Will Hurd. Even self proclaimed anti Trump Chris Christie is Trumpian.
Shaula🏳️‍⚧️
Shaula
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #1893 on: May 22, 2023, 11:58:17 PM »

The only Republican considering running who would not be either Trump or Trumpian is Will Hurd. Even self proclaimed anti Trump Chris Christie is Trumpian.
Lmao Tim Scott, the globalist pro-amnesty free trader neocon is Trumpian???
Benjamin Frank
Frank
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1894 on: May 23, 2023, 12:34:26 AM »
« Edited: May 23, 2023, 12:42:44 AM by Benjamin Frank »

Other than pro-amnesty (which I was not aware Scott is) Trump was much more of a mixed bag on all these things while President. Despite the attempts to remake the Trump Administration into some kind of ideologically consistent whole, it was extremely erratic. But, the Trump Administration was frequently pro free trade and often neocon, and certainly otherwise mostly pro corporate with both tax cuts and deregulation.

On social issues, I don't believe Trump's campaign views and Scott's differ in the slightest.

Most importantly, Scott is pro insurrection.
Shaula🏳️‍⚧️
Shaula
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #1895 on: May 23, 2023, 02:20:00 AM »

Other than pro-amnesty (which I was not aware Scott is) Trump was much more of a mixed bag on all these things while President. Despite the attempts to remake the Trump Administration into some kind of ideologically consistent whole, it was extremely erratic. But, the Trump Administration was frequently pro free trade and often neocon, and certainly otherwise mostly pro corporate with both tax cuts and deregulation.

On social issues, I don't believe Trump's campaign views and Scott's differ in the slightest.

Tim Scott voted to certify the election results and has been outspoken about the election being fair since 2020.

Also, Trumpism isn't about the policies enacted while Trump was in office, it's about Trump's rhetoric.
Benjamin Frank
Frank
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1896 on: May 23, 2023, 02:36:52 AM »
« Edited: May 23, 2023, 02:40:55 AM by Benjamin Frank »

Tim Scott voted to certify the election results and has been outspoken about the election being fair since 2020.

Also, Trumpism isn't about the policies enacted while Trump was in office, it's about Trump's rhetoric.

Tim Scott also voted to acquit Trump for January 6 (which, if along with a subsequent vote would have prevented Trump from being able to run again) and voted to block the January 6 commission. He's pro insurrection.

Trumpian is being similar to Trump rhetorically or to his way of acting politically or to his policies, such as they are. Trying to have it both ways, as you and I show Scott tried to do with January 6, is very Trumpian.
Shaula🏳️‍⚧️
Shaula
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #1897 on: May 23, 2023, 02:52:58 AM »

Tim Scott also voted to acquit Trump for January 6 (which, if along with a subsequent vote would have prevented Trump from being able to run again) and voted to block the January 6 commission. He's pro insurrection.

Trumpian is being similar to Trump rhetorically or to his way of acting politically or to his policies, such as they are. Trying to have it both ways, as you and I show Scott tried to do with January 6, is very Trumpian.
Smoothbrained post
Benjamin Frank
Frank
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1898 on: May 23, 2023, 03:07:34 AM »

Smoothbrained post

I'm not really sure what that means, but anyway, I think I've shown that substantively, he's both Trumpian and pro insurrection. He's astute politically and he has two things going for him that I think could make him a serious primary candidate:

1.He's the only person running in the U.S Senate, which gives him a potentially powerful singular platform

2.He's black. Many Republicans primary voters have clearly been trying to find a black candidate going back to Herman Cain in 2008. But, neither Herman Cain nor Ben Carson were poltically astute or, ultimately, credible.

However, were Tim Scott to get elected President, based on his stated policies and his cynically astute approach to politics,  I see no reason he'd be any better than George W Bush or Donald Trump, easily the two worst Presidents since the start of the 20th Century (after McKinley's assassination.) Not that that makes him worse than DeSantis or Nikki Haley.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1899 on: May 23, 2023, 03:13:57 PM »

ALREADY IN:

Trump
Ramaswamy
Haley
Hutchinson
Scott
Elder

NOT IN YET, BUT DEFINITELY IN:

Pence
DeSantis
Christie

MAYBE:
Sununu
Bolton
Suarez
Burgum
Youngkin

Youngkin returns to the list. Bugrum remains at Maybe but could move up soon, ditto Suarez and Sununu. List will look quite different next week if Pence, Christie, and DeSantis all join as expected.

I know some people run just to boost publicity, but Youngkin seeming to be dipping his toes at getting back in after already saying he was out for good is wild to me.

Also who is Bugrum for? Who looks at a field like this and goes "You know what we're missing? The Governor of North Dakota." The more of these clowns run, the more Trump's just gonna say "There's no point for me to be on a stage with all these has-beens and never-weres" and just skip the debates.

You forgot Rand Paul and Ted Cruz
Pages: 1 ... 71 72 73 74 75 [76] 77 78 79 80 81 ... 85  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies