The “Who is running in 2024?” tea leaves thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 04:09:37 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  2024 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, GeorgiaModerate, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  The “Who is running in 2024?” tea leaves thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 70 71 72 [73] 74 75 76 77 78 ... 85
Author Topic: The “Who is running in 2024?” tea leaves thread  (Read 164933 times)
Spectator
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1800 on: March 27, 2023, 08:12:23 AM »

Wonder if he has his eyes on the Senate race in 2026.
FloridaMan1845
Rookie
United States

« Reply #1801 on: March 27, 2023, 10:10:21 AM »

We need Senator Kemp. He has the best bet at unseating Ossoff.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #1802 on: March 27, 2023, 11:21:04 AM »

I think he's going to wait until 2028. Getting Governors to run for Senate is like pulling teeth. But yes, I think he'd be the strongest possible candidate to unseat Ossoff in 2026. It might also be too late by then.
AltWorlder

Political Matrix
E: -3.35, S: 3.83

« Reply #1803 on: March 27, 2023, 11:35:05 AM »

Burgum is coming
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #1804 on: March 27, 2023, 11:36:32 AM »

Burgum is coming

Oh come on, that's just a random name someone picked out of a hat.
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #1805 on: March 27, 2023, 12:47:12 PM »

Aaaaaand there goes Doug's presidential aspirations! A new record!

President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #1806 on: March 28, 2023, 02:01:16 PM »

Very much possible. Maybe he banks on Biden winning reelection by defeating Trump again, which would be a more favorable 2026 climate for him to run.
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1807 on: March 29, 2023, 02:03:57 PM »

I think Kemp is the type of politician who really prefers an executive office.  I don't think he'd be happy in the Senate.
FloridaMan1845
Rookie
United States

« Reply #1808 on: March 31, 2023, 10:31:53 PM »

Ron DeSantis announces 2024 run
https://www.latlmes.com/breaking/ron-de-santis-announces-2024-campaign-launch-1
Spectator
United States

« Reply #1809 on: April 01, 2023, 04:35:01 AM »

I think he's going to wait until 2028. Getting Governors to run for Senate is like pulling teeth. But yes, I think he'd be the strongest possible candidate to unseat Ossoff in 2026. It might also be too late by then.

There is a chance Georgia is too inflexibly blue at the federal level by 2028, or possibly even 2026, yes. I’m not sure Kemp would run for Senate, but at this juncture he’d be the strongest challenger to either Ossoff or Warnock.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1810 on: April 02, 2023, 10:34:05 AM »

Asa Hutchinson is in.

Former Arkansas Gov. Asa Hutchinson made his 2024 White House bid official on Sunday in an exclusive sit-down interview with ABC "This Week" co-anchor Jonathan Karl.

Ahead of his presidential announcement, Hutchinson, a Republican, spent several days in the first-in-the nation caucus state of Iowa, stirring speculation that he intended to enter into what he acknowledged is a tense national political landscape.

"I have made a decision, and my decision is I'm going to run for president of the United States," Hutchinson told Karl. "While the formal announcement will be later in April, in Bentonville [Arkansas], I want to make it clear to you, Jonathan, I am going to be running. And the reason is, I've traveled the country for six months, I hear people talk about the leadership of our country. I'm convinced that people want leaders that appeal to the best of America, and not simply appeal to our worst instincts."

The former governor told Karl he is inspired by his travels around the country over the last six months and acknowledged it would take "a lot of hard work and good messaging" to raise his national profile and break through a crowded primary field.

"It’s still about retail politics in many of these states, and also, this is one of the most unpredictable political environments that I've seen in my lifetime. So my message of experience, of consistent conservatism and hope for our future in solving problems that face Americans, I think that that resonates," Hutchinson said.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #1811 on: April 02, 2023, 03:45:14 PM »

ALREADY IN:

Trump
Ramaswamy
Haley
Hutchinson

NOT OFFICIALLY IN, BUT OBVIOUSLY RUNNING:

Pence
DeSantis
Pompeo

MAYBE:

Scott
Sununu
Christie
Bolton
Suarez
Burgum
Benjamin Frank
Frank
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1812 on: April 03, 2023, 11:58:20 AM »

ALREADY IN:

Trump
Ramaswamy
Haley
Hutchinson

Pence
DeSantis
Pompeo

MAYBE:

Scott
Sununu
Christie
Bolton
Suarez
Burgum

I'm not sure why Ramaswamy is considered a serious candidate, but former Cranston Rhode Island mayor Steve Laffey, who is also running, isn't.
Canis
canis
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

P P P

« Reply #1813 on: April 03, 2023, 02:04:08 PM »

ALREADY IN:

Trump
Ramaswamy
Haley
Hutchinson

Pence
DeSantis
Pompeo

MAYBE:

Scott
Sununu
Christie
Bolton
Suarez
Burgum

I'm not sure why Ramaswamy is considered a serious candidate, but former Cranston Rhode Island mayor Steve Laffey, who is also running, isn't.
Vivek has a ton of money hes not a billionaire but still has a net worth of 600 million and is capable of buying himself media coverage and large ad buys. Steve Laffey, on the other hand, doesn't his estimated net worth is just 1 million he can't afford to self-fund a viable national campaign.
Benjamin Frank
Frank
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1814 on: April 03, 2023, 02:21:24 PM »

ALREADY IN:

Trump
Ramaswamy
Haley
Hutchinson

Pence
DeSantis
Pompeo

MAYBE:

Scott
Sununu
Christie
Bolton
Suarez
Burgum

Vivek has a ton of money hes not a billionaire but still has a net worth of 600 million and is capable of buying himself media coverage and large ad buys. Steve Laffey, on the other hand, doesn't his estimated net worth is just 1 million he can't afford to self-fund a viable national campaign.

Still, Laffey is an elected mayor who ran for the U.S Senate. On paper anyway, he's a credible candidate.
Canis
canis
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

P P P

« Reply #1815 on: April 03, 2023, 02:33:37 PM »

ALREADY IN:

Trump
Ramaswamy
Haley
Hutchinson

Pence
DeSantis
Pompeo

MAYBE:

Scott
Sununu
Christie
Bolton
Suarez
Burgum

Still, Laffey is an elected mayor who ran for the U.S Senate. On paper anyway, he's a credible candidate.
Being an elected mayor who ran for US senate doesn't really mean much nowadays. Pete Buttigieg and Wayne Messam are great examples of this. Wayne Messam was mayor of a larger city than Buttigieg and was on paper a better candidate yet Buttigieg had the financial backing of several billionaires and was a major candidate. That's just one example of people who've held elected office at the local level fail when running for major office, all the time sometimes to people with little to no political experience. Laffey hasn't held political office since 2007 I doubt he's even remotely relevant to the residents of Cranston today, his last political outing was a last-place finish in the CO-4 Republican primary.
prag_prog
United States

« Reply #1816 on: April 03, 2023, 04:08:51 PM »

I am not a Biden hater but I really wish we had a younger nominee this time (other than Kamala who polls horribly). His approvals still aren't good and I don't expect it to get better with the recent OPEC news which are gonna increase gas prices again. He might still be a slight favorite just because Trump is most likely going to be GOP nominee but I really wish the candidate was someone like Shapiro, Whitmer etc.
Spectator
United States

« Reply #1817 on: April 03, 2023, 05:21:33 PM »

In suicide run news, Sununu looks likely to get in:

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/nh-guv-chris-sununu-sees-075927047.html
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1818 on: April 03, 2023, 05:33:18 PM »

ALREADY IN:

Trump
Ramaswamy
Haley
Hutchinson

Pence
DeSantis
Pompeo

MAYBE:

Scott
Sununu
Christie
Bolton
Suarez
Burgum

So's Cory Stapleton.

Hilarious. He'll be like Kasich at best.
Benjamin Frank
Frank
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1819 on: April 03, 2023, 06:16:38 PM »

ALREADY IN:

Trump
Ramaswamy
Haley
Hutchinson

Pence
DeSantis
Pompeo

MAYBE:

Scott
Sununu
Christie
Bolton
Suarez
Burgum

So's Cory Stapleton.

Hilarious. He'll be like Kasich at best.

Oh thanks! I didn't know about him. I'll add him on to my list.

I especially don't understand how the previous poster can put Miami Mayor Francis Suarez on his list but not Laffey or especially Stapleton.
Benjamin Frank
Frank
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1820 on: April 03, 2023, 07:43:45 PM »
« Edited: April 03, 2023, 07:48:31 PM by Benjamin Frank »

For us completists, at least when it comes to those who have held political office (Like Mark Everson in 2016.)

Floyd Petri, who formerly served as mayor of the City of Chester, registered his candidacy with the Federal Election Commission and announced his candidacy in the 2024 United States Presidential Election.

“I support the Second Amendment, and as mayor, made the City of Chester a sanctuary for the Second Amendment, guns, hunters and Christians,” Petri said. “I also made Chester exempt from Red Flag laws.”

Prior to his experience in city leadership, Petri had a lifelong career in the military and in law enforcement and achieved many honors while serving.

https://easttexasnews.com/tyler-county-news-2/4092-chester-man-declares-run-for-u-s-presidency

Chester, Texas had a population of 312 in 2010.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #1821 on: April 09, 2023, 05:04:23 PM »

I think this is less about Sununu being likely to run and more about Sununu being from New Hampshire and wanting to play a kingmaker-esque role -- which will be difficult given that he's struggled to translate his endorsement into numbers in federal primaries. You could also write an article like this about Kim Reynolds, who's been doing very similar stuff (but is very clearly on Team DeSantis).

One might add Corey Stapleton. I think the answer here is that, on both sides, usually it is polling companies who end up determining whether or not someone counts as a serious candidate, and their decisions are downstream from those of media outlets. (They're also usually downstream of fundraising like a serious candidate). Generally, hyper-wealthy individuals capable of self-funding primary presidential campaigns are taken seriously (Steve Forbes sort of pioneered this kind of thing in the 1990s, but it's gotten more common on both sides; consider Tom Steyer or Andrew Yang for Democrats in 2020), while individuals who have lost their most recent within-party primary are usually not taken seriously as candidates. (Herman Cain stands out as an interesting exception).

My guess is that, whenever the debates happen, Ramaswamy will probably be invited (although it isn't certain), while Laffey and Stapleton will certainly not be. (My guess is that the cut-off will probably be 'having won a statewide election as a Republican candidate', which Ramaswamy has never done -- incidentally nor has Pompeo -- but there will probably be an allowance for candidates who have fundraised more than a certain amount, which he can probably hit and other non-statewide winners will probably struggle to hit.)
🇺🇦 Purple 🦄 Unicorn 🇮🇱
Purple Unicorn
Germany

« Reply #1822 on: April 10, 2023, 08:16:26 AM »

Biden IN:

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/president-biden-says-he-will-run-again-2024-nbc-2023-04-10/
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #1823 on: April 10, 2023, 08:20:18 AM »

This is not necessarily new information, especially given the body of the article:

U.S. President Joe Biden said on Monday he plans to run for reelection in 2024 but was not prepared to announce it yet.

"I plan on running ... but we're not prepared to announce it yet," Biden said in an interview with NBC's "Today" show before the White House Easter Egg Roll.

Biden has said he intends to be the Democratic candidate in 2024 but has not made a formal announcement. Both Biden and Vice President Kamala Harris have said they will run together.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #1824 on: April 11, 2023, 08:04:21 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 68 69 70 71 72 [73] 74 75 76 77 78 ... 85  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies