The “Who is running in 2024?” tea leaves thread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 08:15:50 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  2024 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, GeorgiaModerate, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  The “Who is running in 2024?” tea leaves thread (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The “Who is running in 2024?” tea leaves thread  (Read 166230 times)

NYDem
United States Minor Outlying Islands

« on: March 17, 2022, 06:19:04 PM »

I don't think the so called "14th Amendment route" even exists as described. There is a congressional procedure for removing disqualification in the amendment, but the actual disqualification procedure is never described. As far as I can tell it was a judicial procedure. There was enforcement legislation passed in 1870, but it was repealed ages ago.

Aside from being a horrible, nation-breaking idea, disqualifying via the 14th Amendment is probably not a legal possibility without a conviction of some kind.

NYDem

« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2022, 03:07:59 PM »

Gabbard asked about 2024:

When asked about a potential run for president in 2024, Gabbard said, "It's not something I'm thinking about."

"I'm really focused on how I can best be a voice for common sense, hold leaders accountable and speak the truth," she said. "

I could very easily see her either trying to primary Biden or being the VP on an independent Yang ticket.

I feel like she would be detrimental to a hypothetical independent Yang run.

NYDem

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2022, 10:55:08 PM »

Trump declaring his candidacy before the Midterms would be quite stupid imo. It risks making the 2022 elections about him rather than about Biden, which would be worse for the Republicans.

NYDem

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2022, 03:27:55 PM »

Trump declaring before the midterms is just about the best thing that could happen for the Democrats at this point. If he can’t help but make the election about himself that might keep a few wavering Dem voters on board.

NYDem

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2022, 08:11:31 PM »

Trump declaring before the midterms is just about the best thing that could happen for the Democrats at this point. If he can’t help but make the election about himself that might keep a few wavering Dem voters on board.

I agree, and that the prospect that he'll run again along with the Dobbs decision is going to be a huge motivation for the Democrats. It'll be a push that will be about 95% of the strength of the Dem wave of 2018, and will help Dems keep control of both chambers of Congress.

I don’t think Democrats are going to hold both houses, but I think it’s the sort of thing that could soften the losses to something more reasonable.

NYDem

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2022, 06:56:22 PM »

Prediction: Mike Pompeo drops out in debt and with 0 delegates after getting 1.3% of the vote in New Hampshire.

Seriously, who is asking for a Mike Pompeo campaign?

NYDem

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2023, 12:03:53 PM »

Burgum would be an interesting candidate, but he’s going to be completely drowned out by the big names. I could see him throwing his hat in again in 2028 or 2032 if he doesn’t get much traction this time.

NYDem

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2023, 10:30:47 PM »

I’d vote for Burgum if I were a Republican primary voter (not that he has any chance or that I would vote for him in the general.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies