The “Who is running in 2024?” tea leaves thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 10:32:13 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  2024 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, GeorgiaModerate, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  The “Who is running in 2024?” tea leaves thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 75 76 77 78 79 [80] 81 82 83 84 85
Author Topic: The “Who is running in 2024?” tea leaves thread  (Read 165960 times)
🇺🇦 Purple 🦄 Unicorn 🇮🇱
Purple Unicorn
Germany

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1975 on: July 23, 2023, 10:13:15 AM »

There is a speculation that Virginia Governor Youngkin could jump in as late as November or early December.

He would only miss the Nevada filing deadline if he jumps in so late, and it won't mean anything really because Republicans are going to boycott the Nevada primary anyway and hold a caucus later.

My question: if Youngkin runs after the November elections in Virginia, would he have to resign as Governor, or can he stay in office and run for President at the same time?
LostInOhio
United States
« Reply #1976 on: July 23, 2023, 10:24:57 AM »
« Edited: July 23, 2023, 10:28:16 AM by LostInOhio »

There is a speculation that Virginia Governor Youngkin could jump in as late as November or early December.

He would only miss the Nevada filing deadline if he jumps in so late, and it won't mean anything really because Republicans are going to boycott the Nevada primary anyway and hold a caucus later.

My question: if Youngkin runs after the November elections in Virginia, would he have to resign as Governor, or can he stay in office and run for President at the same time?

I would seriously question his intelligence if he did something so stupid. I'd also question his team because nobody tried to step in to stop him.

Like the rest of this field he should just wait until 2028 after Trump loses in '24. He'd be a genuinely great candidate for them then, looks & acts very presidential, decent amount of charisma, comes off as a moderate, doesn't make MAGA people mad etc. Far better than DeSantis.
cherry mandarin
HL23

P
« Reply #1977 on: July 23, 2023, 11:12:25 AM »

Youngkin doesn't make the MAGA crowds mad

Which "MAGA people" have you been talking to? Lol.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1978 on: July 24, 2023, 08:16:20 PM »

Why is this in Times New Roman lol
cherry mandarin
HL23

P
« Reply #1979 on: July 24, 2023, 09:15:46 PM »

Why is this in Times New Roman lol

I can't be  too certain. I guess  your display  must just be  messed up  then ... I really  don't know   how to  tell, lol.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #1980 on: July 25, 2023, 04:03:20 PM »

As you say, Rs aren't participating in the Nevada primary anyway so it's a moot point for them. That said, jumping in in November is 100% insane. It's also a big gamble on how the 2023 off-off year races in VA go. If Dems retake the VA State House (very possible) he looks awful and weak right as he joins.
cherry mandarin
HL23

P
« Reply #1981 on: July 25, 2023, 04:26:05 PM »

As you say, Rs aren't participating in the Nevada primary anyway so it's a moot point for them. That said, jumping in in November is 100% insane. It's also a big gamble on how the 2023 off-off year races in VA go. If Dems retake the VA State House (very possible) he looks awful and weak right as he joins.

Well, the nice part  about  delaying  is  that  you get to re-calibrate  your campaign  behind  the scenes  rather than  having to do it  out  in public.

I agree  that  waiting  until November  isn't smart  at all, but  presumably  if  he's doing that, he'll only join  the race  if  those elections  go  well  for  the GOP.

Rather than  committing  to  the race  too early  and  suffering  an embarrassing defeat  back home (perhaps  his nationwide ambitions  might  even  hurt  the VA Republicans  there) he gets to wait  everything  out  and  see  how  things  go, timing  his declaration  to  a moment  of  positive coverage  instead.
🇺🇦 Purple 🦄 Unicorn 🇮🇱
Purple Unicorn
Germany

« Reply #1982 on: July 25, 2023, 11:27:07 PM »

Does anyone know if Youngkin would have to resign as Governor in November to run for President, or does Virginia allow him to remain Governor - like Florida does? It would make a big difference.
JMT

« Reply #1983 on: July 27, 2023, 08:13:49 PM »

lol

Electric Circus
United States
« Reply #1984 on: July 27, 2023, 08:31:36 PM »

For anyone who hasn't been keeping up with his illustrious political career, Singh's last notable move was mounting an unsuccessful legal challenge to a condo board election after losing it in a landslide.
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #1985 on: July 28, 2023, 06:20:21 AM »

For anyone who hasn't been keeping up with his illustrious political career, Singh's last notable move was mounting an unsuccessful legal challenge to a condo board election after losing it in a landslide.

Perfect for the GOP primary!
JMT

« Reply #1986 on: July 28, 2023, 06:29:50 AM »

Benjamin Frank
Frank
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1987 on: July 28, 2023, 07:26:40 AM »

This answers my question of which Democrat might challenge President Biden in the event Biden suffered a health challenge.
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #1988 on: July 28, 2023, 08:05:02 AM »

Dean Philips is a weird recruit. He’s just a three term representative with no elected experience and hasn’t even chaired a committee or subcommittee. The only thing he has going is he’s lowkey hot in a Patrick Dempsey way
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #1989 on: July 28, 2023, 09:11:29 AM »

Dean Phillips really trying to throw away his career at this point, and for what?
Benjamin Frank
Frank
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1990 on: July 28, 2023, 09:39:57 AM »
« Edited: July 28, 2023, 09:48:00 AM by Benjamin Frank »

Dean Philips is a weird recruit. He’s just a three term representative with no elected experience and hasn’t even chaired a committee or subcommittee. The only thing he has going is he’s lowkey hot in a Patrick Dempsey way

With a net worth of $77 million in 2018, Phillips is one of the wealthiest members of Congress.

A tweet (or an X) from some organization called AlphaNews said that Phillips was worth $123 million as of 2023.

He's the heir to some alcohol/spirits fortune. (Personally I'd prefer somebody be an heir to Thomas Edison's spirit phone to speak to the dead fortune, but I guess that didn't work.)

From the Politico article linked to in that tweet (or X.)
"Phillips, 54, is highly unlikely to mount a primary challenge unless Biden’s health worsens or his political standing drops precipitously, I’m told, and does not want to further weaken the president."

Thomas Edison's spirit phone: Dial-a-Ghost on Thomas Edison’s Least Successful Invention: the Spirit Phone
https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/dial-a-ghost-on-thomas-edisons-least-successful-invention-the-spirit-phone

Politics is interesting but the paranormal really is a lot more fun. Was it really not successful or do THEY not want us to know how successful it is? (The only people who ask who are THEY/THEM? are one of they/them) Cheesy
Atlas Force
mlee117379
United States

« Reply #1991 on: July 28, 2023, 09:46:16 AM »

Lol
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1992 on: July 28, 2023, 11:23:06 AM »

lol

If NJ didn't have the county lines, there's a chance this clown would have gotten the nomination for Governor and dragged down everyone just like Mastriano and Cox did.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #1993 on: July 28, 2023, 06:10:42 PM »

Lol this guy is a joke. Every NJ Dem hopes they get to run against him at least once.
riceowl
riceowl315
YaBB God

« Reply #1994 on: July 29, 2023, 10:38:18 AM »

I thought the Perry Johnson ads were a parody. I was wrong.
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1995 on: July 29, 2023, 10:40:28 AM »

They can hope for that as much as they want, but he's still never even won a primary.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1996 on: July 29, 2023, 10:51:38 AM »

Who even is this Singh dude? Wikipedia doesn't list him anywhere. Not even in the Cory Stapleton section.
Benjamin Frank
Frank
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1997 on: July 30, 2023, 10:34:25 PM »

Who even is this Singh dude? Wikipedia doesn't list him anywhere. Not even in the Cory Stapleton section.

Odd, there had been a wiki for him. There is a HistoricaWiki article for him which I think is usually copied from wiki:
https://historica.fandom.com/wiki/Hirsh_Singh

Pure speculation on my part, but it wouldn't surprise me if he tried to edit his wiki page and it got taken down entirely as punishment.
TheReckoning
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1998 on: July 31, 2023, 04:28:06 PM »

Like the rest of this field he should just wait until 2028 after Trump loses in '24. He'd be a genuinely great candidate for them then, looks & acts very presidential, decent amount of charisma, comes off as a moderate, doesn't make MAGA people mad etc. Far better than DeSantis.

And if Trump runs in 2028, then what?
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #1999 on: July 31, 2023, 05:52:11 PM »
« Edited: August 01, 2023, 05:30:20 PM by Progressive Pessimist »

Haha! Hirsh Singh running is hilarious, but does at least make this the most diverse GOP primary ever: three black candidates, three South Asian candidates, and a Latino. Still only one woman though.
Pages: 1 ... 75 76 77 78 79 [80] 81 82 83 84 85  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies