The “Who is running in 2024?” tea leaves thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 06:23:52 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  2024 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, GeorgiaModerate, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  The “Who is running in 2024?” tea leaves thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 76 77 78 79 80 [81] 82 83 84 85
Author Topic: The “Who is running in 2024?” tea leaves thread  (Read 165918 times)
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2000 on: August 01, 2023, 06:50:05 AM »

https://www.johnkasich.com/

Lmao John Kasich is running again?
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #2001 on: August 01, 2023, 07:28:00 AM »

Nah this doesn't strike me him running again, just his personal website. He endorsed Biden and spoke at the 2020 DNC, he would stand absolutely 0 chance in a GOP primary. He'd be taken even less seriously than Christie or Hurd.
AltWorlder

Political Matrix
E: -3.35, S: 3.83

« Reply #2002 on: August 01, 2023, 10:14:53 AM »

Would Kasich be a good candidate for No Labels or is he not centrist enough for that
No War, but the War on Christmas
iBizzBee
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2003 on: August 02, 2023, 09:30:47 AM »

Would Kasich be a good candidate for No Labels or is he not centrist enough for that

Kasich is pretty much a GOP foot soldier on every topic besides rhetoric and tone.
Shaula🏳️‍⚧️
Shaula
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #2004 on: August 02, 2023, 10:08:08 AM »

Kasich is pretty much a GOP foot soldier on every topic besides rhetoric and tone.
A bush-era Republican maybe. A pro-war-in-Europe, pro-free-trade, anti-social-security, pro-immigration person is not a true Republican today, no matter their opinions on abortion, judges or taxes.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #2005 on: August 02, 2023, 10:29:00 AM »

Something like John Kasich/John Bel Edwards would be an interesting direction for No Labels to go in. (I assume we're all on the same page of them wanting an R/D mixed ticket)
AltWorlder

Political Matrix

« Reply #2006 on: August 02, 2023, 02:00:58 PM »
« Edited: August 02, 2023, 02:04:48 PM by AltWorlder »

I think it’s fair to call Kasich a standard pre-Trump non-Tea Party Republican with rhetorical and tonal differences only. He’s no Jon Huntsman:

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/john-kasich-a-jeb-bush-in-jon-huntsman-clothing/

https://web.archive.org/web/20151213175157/http://plunderbund.com/2015/07/28/john-kasich-is-not-the-jon-huntsman-of-2016/

Though these days, it’s also fair to say that policy distinctions don’t matter, because isn’t Liz Cheney of all people the principled NeverTrumper Republican icon with Democrat admirers? Come to think of it couldn’t she headline No Labels?
Utah Neolib
YaBB God
Antarctica

« Reply #2007 on: August 03, 2023, 07:33:30 PM »

I think it’s fair to call Kasich a standard pre-Trump non-Tea Party Republican with rhetorical and tonal differences only. He’s no Jon Huntsman:

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/john-kasich-a-jeb-bush-in-jon-huntsman-clothing/

https://web.archive.org/web/20151213175157/http://plunderbund.com/2015/07/28/john-kasich-is-not-the-jon-huntsman-of-2016/

Though these days, it’s also fair to say that policy distinctions don’t matter, because isn’t Liz Cheney of all people the principled NeverTrumper Republican icon with Democrat admirers? Come to think of it couldn’t she headline No Labels?
Huntsman is no better than Kasich. They both belong in the same boat. Come to think of it, Kasich spoke at the 2020 DNC while Huntsman wore a MAGA hat in an ad for governor.
AltWorlder

Political Matrix

« Reply #2008 on: August 04, 2023, 03:21:57 PM »

They're only equivalent if you choose to ignore actual policy, which is fair because everyone is, these days.
Shaula🏳️‍⚧️
Shaula
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #2009 on: August 05, 2023, 03:31:17 AM »

Huntsman is no better than Kasich. They both belong in the same boat. Come to think of it, Kasich spoke at the 2020 DNC while Huntsman wore a MAGA hat in an ad for governor.
To be fair, I think Huntsman is more moderate on policy, but is less ardently anti-Trump than Kasich.
Benjamin Frank
Frank
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2010 on: August 05, 2023, 05:03:01 AM »

He'll be 73 in 2024. While younger than Biden or Trump, he wouldn't be able to get votes on 'generational change' which seems to be a major issue for 2024, at least for some people.
AltWorlder

Political Matrix

« Reply #2011 on: August 06, 2023, 01:35:48 AM »
« Edited: August 06, 2023, 01:39:04 AM by AltWorlder »

To be fair, I think Huntsman is more moderate on policy, but is less ardently anti-Trump than Kasich.

My impression is that Huntsman is either an opportunist who is able to play ball with whomever is in power (he has served as ambassador not only for Trump but also for Obama), or he very much embodies the stereotypical LDS value of polite dutifulness to the authorities (e.g. like Johnny Utah the square FBI agent). Probably the answer is a mixture of both.

I think, to be charitable, he is not simply an opportunist, because if he was then he wouldn't be an uncompromising moderate and completely un-nominatable by GOP standards.
An American Tail: Fubart Goes West
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2012 on: August 10, 2023, 06:09:25 PM »

Manchin ‘thinking seriously’ about leaving Democratic Party

I suspect this would be in preparation for a run with No Labels.

I just truly don’t understand No Labels. Joe Biden isn’t Bernie Sanders for crying out loud. And with the people they might get to run, it would be three white guys with a combined age of well over 200. Who do they appeal to? Beltway people, McMullin voters?
Shaula🏳️‍⚧️
Shaula
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #2013 on: August 10, 2023, 09:28:12 PM »

I just truly don’t understand No Labels. Joe Biden isn’t Bernie Sanders for crying out loud. And with the people they might get to run, it would be three white guys with a combined age of well over 200. Who do they appeal to? Beltway people, McMullin voters?
I actually think this is a ploy for his Senate run. He'll run as a McMullin-like "independent" to try and get votes from people who hate Democrats.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #2014 on: August 12, 2023, 09:22:51 PM »

"Give me attention."

Even if Democrats lose the Senate, both he and Sinema will not be missed by anyone. They will be remembered as the Joe Liebermans of the party and disowned.   
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #2015 on: August 12, 2023, 10:29:39 PM »

"Give me attention."

Even if Democrats lose the Senate, both he and Sinema will not be missed by anyone. They will be remembered as the Joe Liebermans of the party and disowned.   

Manchin announces he’s running under “a West Virginia for Manchin” party
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2016 on: August 12, 2023, 10:51:58 PM »

"Give me attention."

Manchin announces he’s running under “a West Virginia for Manchin” party

Manchin's probably got a better chance of pulling that sort of thing off than Sinema does. Even though he's terminally unpopular, it's not Democrats would run a serious candidate against him, and assuming Justice is the Republican nominee, it's not he's got some overwhelming popularity or something. Hell, if Mooney somehow beats Justice in the Republican Primary, Manchin might even be favored if he pulls this stunt. That carpetbagger issue would come back to haunt Mooney big time.
AltWorlder

Political Matrix

« Reply #2017 on: August 19, 2023, 02:32:39 PM »

The Newsom option for the GOP!
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #2018 on: August 19, 2023, 03:05:21 PM »

Kemp would sink quicker than DeSantis against Trump. Youngkin would at least be able to put up a credible fight and position himself for 2028.
AltWorlder

Political Matrix

« Reply #2019 on: August 19, 2023, 03:39:01 PM »

Kemp would sink quicker than DeSantis against Trump. Youngkin would at least be able to put up a credible fight and position himself for 2028.

wonder why no consideration for Abbott
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #2020 on: August 19, 2023, 03:54:23 PM »

wonder why no consideration for Abbott
He's never struck me as presidential material TBH.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #2021 on: August 19, 2023, 09:57:36 PM »

Either Kemp or Youngkin would be fairly strong candidates; however, anyone with a brain would advise them to wait until 2028.
AltWorlder

Political Matrix

« Reply #2022 on: August 20, 2023, 12:37:49 AM »

Either Kemp or Youngkin would be fairly strong candidates; however, anyone with a brain would advise them to wait until 2028.

I’ve got good news about GOP donors
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #2023 on: August 21, 2023, 03:01:20 PM »

You mean Youngkin can get to the 3-4% Tim Scott hovers around. How does he get past that, though? That's about the size of the party that actually wants a genial friendly Trump alternative. The fact that Trump's...Trump is a selling point, not a liability, to actual primary voters.
AltWorlder

Political Matrix

« Reply #2024 on: August 21, 2023, 03:20:23 PM »

isn’t Liz Cheney of all people the principled NeverTrumper Republican icon with Democrat admirers? Come to think of it couldn’t she headline No Labels?

Well, why couldn't she? I think she would be a very fun "makes vague motions towards running" but not actually running independent candidate with limited appeal. It would be hilarious if both Biden had Dean Philips types running against him, and Trump had Liz Cheney (and/or the Kemp/Youngkin lane). And then No Labels also runs Manchin/Hogan or whomever.
Pages: 1 ... 76 77 78 79 80 [81] 82 83 84 85  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies